As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you just need to finish a silver reaper game to unlock the bonus pack thing, right?

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    On Vanguard stage-glitch bug:

I've actually found out the reason that happens is because of lag.

Until they fix it, all you have to do to avoid it is be the host.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I want any assault rifle that is actually good at providing dakka to make my Turian soldier worthwhile.

It is never going to give me that, I can tell.

The Revenant seems like it would be downright Apocalyptic when combined with Marksman.

I haven't gotten good results with the Marksman/Revenant combo: either the clip size is going to be too small or I won't be able to scope it if I toss in the stability enhancement. Basically, what ends up happening is the muzzle climb gets exacerbated in addition to the general spray of the bullets to combine into about half of my rounds don't make it to target. The combo that I've found to be fairly decent is a Geth Pulse Rifle + scope and extended magazine.

Does the Turian soldier's stability upgrades not help with that? What about the stability mod? Come on, Marksman needs some dakka....at mid-range

dN0T6ur.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Marksman (as a Bonus power) + Geth Pulse Rife is what I've been using in Singleplayer.
    It works extremely well.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Aha oh man, best round ever.

Run a couple of bronze with some pubs, switch it up to silver to see how we go. Get reapers and do pretty well, one of my team-mates tearing it up as a Vanguard.

Comes to the 8th wave, squad members are taken down with only me left facing 3 brutes, 3 ravagers and a bunch of husks and marauders.

Cue 10 minutes of me running around and cloaking, luring enemies to one side of the map and taking pot shots whenever I can.

Managed to take out the entire wave though, and we go on to extract with everyone alive. So fun.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Last man standing waves are always run. I can only imagine how it looks on the death cam with the last surviving player frantically running around trying to stay alive.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I always feel a little bad when there's like 1 or 2 dead and the other guy drops and I bolt. I know the 1-2 dead guys are likely watching me, and I'm basically flipping their buddy off.

To be fair, if there's a good dozen of them and one of me, I'm putting some distance between them and me, and unfortunately that's probably well away from the guy pounding his space bar.

Don't get me wrong, if I'm on a class or am levelled up enough to feel it's not suicidal to make a rescue attempt I will, but sometimes it's just not feasible.
    You can't save them all. :(

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I take it you get your silver crates on the day the time limit runs out?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I beat the game last night. The ending isn't that bad, turns out.
    Of course, when you consider that the rest of the last mission was fucking awesome, that sort of thing winds up being a bit of a gut punch. What a terrible denouement.

naengwen on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I take it you get your silver crates on the day the time limit runs out?

That's what the official info says.

Edit: Also, PA dudes need to team up more! First of all, it's way more fun playing with guys you know, especially if you're all got mics. Second, I usually see everyone on my friend list in full games - with pubs. Instead of pubbing all alone we could easily all join up and fill one or two rooms, with people that won't just let you down and leave the game or idle.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    My Salarian Infiltrator goes like this.

Sniper Rifle(Widow if you got it. Otherwise the best single shot you've got)

Energy Drain spec for shield regen/Damage resistance.
    Cloak specced for damage.
    Proximity mine Specced for Damage with the +20% damage from all sources mod.
    Class spec, specced for weight reduction and +20% headshot damage.

I completely ignore fitness because Salarian Infiltrator already gets an extra +100 shields and Cloak allows you to just run from any bad situations.

I prefer using the Carnifex. Keeps the cooldowns low while giving you plenty of stopping power. Also, I'm a big fan of the power use while cloaked evolution over the +40% sniper rifle damage (even with a sniper rifle). Being able to use energy drain without de-cloaking is so damn useful. But, yeah, definitely ignore fitness; proximity mine and energy drain are too good to not max.

BionicPenguin on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    ok this is weird...

ending spoilers
    at the ending, on my failshep import, and the kid didnt give me 3 choices, only the control and destory choices? is this war assest related or something? its around 2000 (ewa)

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My Salarian Infiltrator goes like this.

Sniper Rifle(Widow if you got it. Otherwise the best single shot you've got)

Energy Drain spec for shield regen/Damage resistance.
    Cloak specced for damage.
    Proximity mine Specced for Damage with the +20% damage from all sources mod.
    Class spec, specced for weight reduction and +20% headshot damage.

I completely ignore fitness because Salarian Infiltrator already gets an extra +100 shields and Cloak allows you to just run from any bad situations.

I prefer using the Carnifex. Keeps the cooldowns low while giving you plenty of stopping power. Also, I'm a big fan of the power use while cloaked evolution over the +40% sniper rifle damage. Being able to use energy drain without de-cloaking is so damn useful. But, yeah, definitely ignore fitness; proximity mine and energy drain are too good to not max.

You know, one thing in the demo I tried out (that worked way better than expected!)

Spec cloak for duration, melee damage and power use
    Energy drain for damage, shield regen and damage reduction
    Proximity mine for damage and resistance reduction
    Fitness for Melee damage

Just cloak and melee away! When you see a centurion or other enemies use energy drain for and get in close then, it ensures you'll survive and can just cloak away again.

Edit: Also, with cloak you can't just abuse but flat out rape the grab-system.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Maz- wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    Also the Salarian Winfiltrator is the ultimate god-king.

Got any tips?
    I've been fooling around with mine but I haven't really performed all that well.

Sniper Rifles or Shotguns? I've just unlocked the Incisor, but it seems more like an Assault Rifle and I can't really abuse the cloak's damage boost with it.
    As for Shotguns, I've gotten the Claymore in my latest Spectre pack, and while it does ridiculous damage, its low ammo capacity and firing rate is kinda limiting.

What abilities should I use? Proximity Mine seems kinda meh, which I've only noticed after putting 2 points into it though :(

Use a pistol. Sniper rifles and shotguns are for losers. Max proximity mines, cloak, and energy drain. Proxy mines, upgrade radius, then damage. Cloak, upgrade time cloaked, and the two powers before you decloak. Energy drain, do whatever.

Spam proxy mine on anything that doesn't have shields or barriers, use energy drain on those.

Lemming on
    Yeah. I guess sniper rifles are a bad choice if you don't want everything to just die.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The first time I took on a banshee solo with a Krogan it was basically this:

braveheart.jpg
    ok this is weird...

ending spoilers
    at the ending, on my failshep import, and the kid didnt give me 3 choices, only the control and destory choices? is this war assest related or something? its around 2000 (ewa)

Yes.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Why would you use a pistol when maxed out cloak gives +40% damage to sniper rifles?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    ok this is weird...

ending spoilers

Yes. You "Unlock" them with higher scores.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    can I
    cheat on Kaidan and still unlock Barrier

I've got Reave, but I don't want to screw myself out of Barrier, since this is the only import I have where I still have him

and I am honestly kind of tired of him

Hoz wrote: »
    Why would you use a pistol when maxed out cloak gives +40% damage to sniper rifles?

Because people are insane.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    because the other evolution also kicks ass?

Oh yeah.

Could we put the weapons spreadsheet in the OP(unless it is already there)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aor1WdVV3kD6dGw1SlNDUzFjODlheGl5a3JLdXZZVXc#gid=0

Really nice document.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Because they take the other cloak evolution that lets you energy drain while invisible? I'd still prefer a lightweight Avenger over a pistol, but hey.
    ok this is weird...

ending spoilers
    Yeah, you didn't have high enough assets for the third ending, which I would call the worst, so...not missing anything.
    Elendil wrote: »
    can I
    cheat on Kaidan and still unlock Barrier

I've got Reave, but I don't want to screw myself out of Barrier, since this is the only import I have where I still have him

and I am honestly kind of tired of him

I don't think powers are tied to romance at all, just conversation progress, but I haven't been in the situation so I can't say for sure.

s7Imn5J.png
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    Anyone want to run some Silver Reaper MP on PC? My Drell Adept demands blood...

And maybe a decent weapon or two! :(

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I'm available for some games if anyone is running some spots.

MildConfusion on Origin.

I promoted my adept yesterday and am trying to promote him via bronze, but my soldier and vanguard would love some silver action.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Anyone up for trying to do a gold? I've got a level 20 soldier, origin name is fathom216.

Geth are the easiest fight, I'd be down for it with one of my Engineers.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah. I guess sniper rifles are a bad choice if you don't want everything to just die.

Anybody who's played with me as my Salarian Winfiltrator will tell you I have never not topped the scoreboard.

Proximity mine murders the planet, and the Carnifex is an incredible death machine, as long as you have hands and can aim.

Sniper rifles make your powers much less spammable, and overall you'll kill stuff faster by spamming them.

Lemming on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Re: Morinth

holy crap i just ran into morinth in me3. D:

thats..
    fucked up. but makes sense given the email at the start

for those that dont know..
    shes on earth near the end..
    as a fucking banshee who pops up just after you take out that reaper AA canon right at the start of earth. man, not even she deserved to be a banshee.

Now I kinda feel bad for her.
    If she spawns right after you take out the reaper AA cannon, well...there's a second, fresh Cain sitting right in front of you... I felt a slight guilty pleasure in using it to take out the single Banshee that spawned for me (and, in my universe, she wasn't Morinth).

Wait wait wait wait...
    THERE'S A SECOND CAIN AVAILABLE IN THAT PART?

I fought that ENTIRE WAVE on Insanity, just using basic guns. It was literally the hardest fight in the game for me, and during the bug out phase I got into the shuttle with a sliver of health remaining.

@electricitylikesme, I'm wondering if it might have been because I was only playing on Hardcore.
    I distinctly firing the first Cain at the AA cannon, like I was supposed to...but then I looked around and saw another just sitting on a chest-high wall. So, I picked it up, and saw it had a full charge. At that moment, a banshee crested the lip of the ledge about 20-30 feet in front of me, said "fuck it," aimed at her feet, and detonated a mini-nuke at point-blank range. I'm attributing my survival on the fact that I was a Vanguard.

Aegeri wrote: »
    I want any assault rifle that is actually good at providing dakka to make my Turian soldier worthwhile.

It is never going to give me that, I can tell.

The Revenant seems like it would be downright Apocalyptic when combined with Marksman.

I haven't gotten good results with the Marksman/Revenant combo: either the clip size is going to be too small or I won't be able to scope it if I toss in the stability enhancement. Basically, what ends up happening is the muzzle climb gets exacerbated in addition to the general spray of the bullets to combine into about half of my rounds don't make it to target. The combo that I've found to be fairly decent is a Geth Pulse Rifle + scope and extended magazine.

Does the Turian soldier's stability upgrades not help with that? What about the stability mod? Come on, Marksman needs some dakka....at mid-range

@Wyborn, I think the stability upgrades will only have an effect on muzzle climb, the general spray-i-ness of the Revenant is going to hamper maximum shots on target (especially if you're like me and primarily aim at the area above and between the shoulders of a target). The GPR + scope on the Turian Sentinel may as well be that laser emitter in the new Syndicate game. Accurate, steady stream of fire going into your target's face. I have found one teeny problem, though: activating Marksman usually ends up with me having to reload two completely drained ammo clips before the Marksman effect ends (and this is with a 133 rounds per clip expanded magazine, too).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I haven't tried it in MP, but the Revenant works great with Marksman in SP. The accuracy bonus (maxed over RoF) and a stability dampener mean it's essentially the Thanix cannon. I have heard that the turian stability bonus coupled with a stability dampener can have a negative effect though, e.g. you have 110% recoil reduction which the game turns into 10% muzzle drop.
    @electricitylikesme, I'm wondering if it might have been because I was only playing on Hardcore.
    I distinctly firing the first Cain at the AA cannon, like I was supposed to...but then I looked around and saw another just sitting on a chest-high wall. So, I picked it up, and saw it had a full charge. At that moment, a banshee crested the lip of the ledge about 20-30 feet in front of me, said "fuck it," aimed at her feet, and detonated a mini-nuke at point-blank range. I'm attributing my survival on the fact that I was a Vanguard.
    No, there's definitely two there on insanity, as well. I tried ignoring it to take down the banshee and then save it for clearing the area of cannibals when making the shuttle dash, but there was so little cover to protect you from them while trying to fight someone close that I just blew it on the banshee instead. It apparently doesn't hurt Shepard anymore, because it wiped out my squadmates every time even though they were behind me.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited March 2012
    @Lemming: But it's scientific fact that you're 80% less awesome while doing it.

The Revanant is actually pretty good with marksmen.

That being said you have to use the attachment that increase magazine size because you will have to reload before Marksmen runs out.

Dragkonias on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    xta wrote: »
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Just passed 300 N7 Rating, awww yeah. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty sure I've taken out at least a hundred Brutes over the past 2 days. There's really no doubt in my mind that we'll break a million by the end of the day.

by promoting over and over?

i have all classes (except solider and sentinel) at level 20. my n7 rating isnt that high

I don't promote constantly, but I promote pretty consistently, yeah. It gives me an opportunity to play with builds. Maybe the first time through, I'll use a build that seems really solid to me. The next time through, I'll play around with some variations, and compare how it feels to my first run. There are some characters I don't promote, like the Krogan Soldier, because the game automatically puts a point in Fortification when you start, and I had to use a reset card to move it out. So I'm done promoting Soldiers all together, I think.

But right now, I'm not with a squad that's consistently doing Gold (or even Silver, really). I play by myself a lot, and I like swapping characters around. I'm not the kind of person who's going to roll into Bronze with a tricked-out level 20 character, you know? I like pushing myself -- challenging myself to out-score higher level characters and stuff. Honestly? The standard I use to figure out if I understand a class is whether or not I can out-score a good Vanguard on Bronze. If you can do that, odds are pretty good you know what you're doing.

I've been doing a lot of Silver lately, though, because I really prefer it. Bronze is so easy. I'd like to get to a stage where I've developed a squad that can consistently take down Gold, but right now, everyone's still figuring out what characters and builds they like. So I'm just promoting my characters and playing around with shit myself.

I am so glad I found that about bypassing that Vanguard glitch.

I mean yeah, all my other classes are pretty great but they aren't half as fun.

I was doing great on Silver. And this was against the Reapers who I feel are the Vanguards worse matchup.

edited March 2012
    Also, since I missed the part where we were talking about Salarian Infiltrator builds ... why is everyone dropping Fitness to pick up Proxy Mine? Proxy Mine blows. It's true that Salarian Infiltrator's have an enormous amount of survivability without Fitness, and lack much in the way of AoE potential, but I think Proxy Mine's a bad move. The best characters are built by enhancing its strengths, rather than covering its weaknesses. With full Tactical Cloak, full Energy Drain, full Salarian, and full Fitness, it's incredibly hard to put the character on his ass. You really aren't missing out much by losing Proxy Mines, man. I've tried them, on both Salarian Infiltrators and Turian Soldiers, and they're incredibly underwhelming.

milk ducks on
    Re: Morinth

holy crap i just ran into morinth in me3. D:

thats..
    fucked up. but makes sense given the email at the start

for those that dont know..
    shes on earth near the end..
    as a fucking banshee who pops up just after you take out that reaper AA canon right at the start of earth. man, not even she deserved to be a banshee.

Now I kinda feel bad for her.
    If she spawns right after you take out the reaper AA cannon, well...there's a second, fresh Cain sitting right in front of you... I felt a slight guilty pleasure in using it to take out the single Banshee that spawned for me (and, in my universe, she wasn't Morinth).

Wait wait wait wait...
    THERE'S A SECOND CAIN AVAILABLE IN THAT PART?

I fought that ENTIRE WAVE on Insanity, just using basic guns. It was literally the hardest fight in the game for me, and during the bug out phase I got into the shuttle with a sliver of health remaining.

actually
    there are 3-4 of the things, i dont think you can use them and live on the ground troops though, every time i tried the blast killed me.

Also, since I missed the part where we were talking about Salarian Infiltrator builds ... why is everyone dropping Fitness to pick up Proxy Mine? Proxy Mine blows. It's true that Salarian Infiltrator's have an enormous amount of survivability without Fitness, and lack much in the way of AoE potential, I think Proxy Mine's a bad move. The best characters are built by enhancing its strengths, rather than covering its weaknesses. With full Tactical Cloak, full Energy Drain, full Salarian, and full Fitness, it's incredibly hard to put the character on his ass. You really aren't missing out much by losing Proxy Mines, man. I've tried them, on both Salarian Infiltrators and Turian Soldiers, and they're incredibly underwhelming.

I've found that the proxy mine is just really good for CCing.

Also. I really like the %20 damage increase just because I look at it this way. On big targets on higher difficulties more than likely your entire team will be hammering on the big guys. You're effectively increasing the DPS of your entire squad by using it. And Proxy drops trash mobs like nobodies business.

edited March 2012
    you know, going into that ending the 2nd time..
    i "liked" it a hell of a lot more going in with the indoctrination theory, that shit really does make more sense with the ending, my failshep picked control, meaning for me at least, the reapers win and failshep is now a husk.

i mean there are tons of little weird moments like the wound on shepard being in the same exact spot she shot anderson in, lots of little bits like that are focused on that you miss the first time due to "wtf is this shit OMG NO ANDERSON!" i really think the destory ending with 5000 ewa is shep waking up back on earth after the harbinger beam took him out and he breaks the indoctrination.

Deaderinred on
    Also, since I missed the part where we were talking about Salarian Infiltrator builds ... why is everyone dropping Fitness to pick up Proxy Mine? Proxy Mine blows. It's true that Salarian Infiltrator's have an enormous amount of survivability without Fitness, and lack much in the way of AoE potential, I think Proxy Mine's a bad move. The best characters are built by enhancing its strengths, rather than covering its weaknesses. With full Tactical Cloak, full Energy Drain, full Salarian, and full Fitness, it's incredibly hard to put the character on his ass. You really aren't missing out much by losing Proxy Mines, man. I've tried them, on both Salarian Infiltrators and Turian Soldiers, and they're incredibly underwhelming.

Also. I really like the %20 damage increase just because I look at it this way. On big targets on higher difficulties more than likely your entire team will be hammering on the big guys. You're effectively increasing the DPS of your entire squad by using it. And Proxy drops trash mobs like nobodies business.

If I really wanted Proxy Mines, I'd drop either the final point in the Salarian power (-30% Sniper Rifle Weight) or the final point in Fitness (+25% Health and Shields); that would allow me to have 3 points in Proxy Mines, at least. Which is ... pretty shit. Dropping Fitness all together, you lose 65% extra Health and Shields. That's way too much of a trade-off for some mines that don't do much damage, interfere with your ability to stun / debuff enemies with Energy Drain, and won't come out very quickly anyway, because the Widow's fucking heavy.

I don't know, man. I mean, if it works for you, that's cool. I think it's a bad move.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    you know, going into that ending the 2nd time..
    i "liked" it a hell of a lot more going in with the indoctrination theory, that shit really does make more sense with the ending, my failshep picked control, meaning for me at least, the reapers win and failshep is now a husk.

i mean there are tons of little weird moments like the wound on shepard being in the same exact spot she shot anderson in, lots of little bits like that are focused on that you miss the first time due to "wtf is this shit OMG NO ANDERSON!" i really think the destory ending with 5000 ewa is shep waking up back on earth after the harbinger beam took him out and he breaks the indoctrination.

There's so many little tidbits of evidence for that theory that I feel like Bioware is just fucking with us if it isn't true.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote: »

Anybody who's played with me as my Salarian Winfiltrator will tell you I have never not topped the scoreboard.

Proximity mine murders the planet, and the Carnifex is an incredible death machine, as long as you have hands and can aim.

Sniper rifles make your powers much less spammable, and overall you'll kill stuff faster by spamming them.
    Well, I don't really care about topping the scoreboard, I care about coming out alive in silver/gold. Proxy mine and a pistol don't do shit against the big bads.

edited March 2012

If I really wanted Proxy Mines, I'd drop either the final point in the Salarian power (-30% Sniper Rifle Weight) or the final point in Fitness (+25% Health and Shields); that would allow me to have 3 points in Proxy Mines, at least. Which is ... pretty shit. Dropping Fitness all together, you lose 65% extra Health and Shields. That's way too much of a trade-off for some mines that don't do much damage, interfere with your ability to stun / debuff enemies with Energy Drain, and won't come out very quickly anyway, because the Widow's fucking heavy.

I don't know, man. I mean, if it works for you, that's cool. I think it's a bad move.

Proxy Mine isn't really good if you're not going to fully invest it in.

That's why I completely ignore fitness. As long as you play cautiously enough the lost of fitness isn't that big a deal.

I've gotten through plenty of Silver games not having to use a single medigel. And during the demo I once did a gold run to the completion with PA people with a 625/625 adept. So I doubt it would be hard there either.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.