As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Yes! YES!

Got me the Disciple. It's a litlte bit of a step back from the Katana VI, but a higher ammo reserve and staggering through shields? Just... freaking.... sign me up.

dN0T6ur.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Proxy mines make sense if you're going for a non sniper build which if you don't have a Widow I could understand

But seriously man up and get a Widow already.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I use the Widow and Proxy mines.

I also wrestle bears in my spare time.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    Anyone up for trying to do a gold? I've got a level 20 soldier, origin name is fathom216.

Geth are the easiest fight, I'd be down for it with one of my Engineers.

It's amazing how much easier Cerberus and Geth are to take on compared to the Reapers. The only problem I've had with Geth on occasion are the Pyros mainly and that is kinda minor. The ravager/brute/banshee combo is just scary.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I would say ever since they buffed the Geth they are much harder than Cerberus. Still not as hard as the Reapers though.

That being said I get ambushed by at least 50 Hunters a game.

Dragkonias on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Hoz wrote: »
    Lemming wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. I guess sniper rifles are a bad choice if you don't want everything to just die.

Anybody who's played with me as my Salarian Winfiltrator will tell you I have never not topped the scoreboard.

Proximity mine murders the planet, and the Carnifex is an incredible death machine, as long as you have hands and can aim.

Sniper rifles make your powers much less spammable, and overall you'll kill stuff faster by spamming them.
    Well, I don't really care about topping the scoreboard, I care about coming out alive in silver/gold. Proxy mine and a pistol don't do shit against the big bads.

Yeah, they really do. Carnifexes are beasts, and proximity mine is amazing because of its huge radius. Shoot it at the big bad, and it'll maim or kill everyone in a giant circle around them.

Seriously, anyone who thinks proxy mines are bad are using them wrong. They are not traps, they are grenades you shoot at people and do tons of damage. You can kill large groups of the weaker mooks at once, and it'll stagger and do a bunch of damage to larger guys. Using the Salarian Winfiltrator without the proxy mines is a huge waste.

While I agree with you that Proxy works best as offensive tools.

The fact that they don't work like you would expect proxy mines to work...is kind of dumb.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    Yeah. I guess sniper rifles are a bad choice if you don't want everything to just die.

Anybody who's played with me as my Salarian Winfiltrator will tell you I have never not topped the scoreboard.

Proximity mine murders the planet, and the Carnifex is an incredible death machine, as long as you have hands and can aim.

Sniper rifles make your powers much less spammable, and overall you'll kill stuff faster by spamming them.
    Well, I don't really care about topping the scoreboard, I care about coming out alive in silver/gold. Proxy mine and a pistol don't do shit against the big bads.

Yeah, they really do. Carnifexes are beasts, and proximity mine is amazing because of its huge radius. Shoot it at the big bad, and it'll maim or kill everyone in a giant circle around them.

Seriously, anyone who thinks proxy mines are bad are using them wrong. They are not traps, they are grenades you shoot at people and do tons of damage. You can kill large groups of the weaker mooks at once, and it'll stagger and do a bunch of damage to larger guys. Using the Salarian Winfiltrator without the proxy mines is a huge waste.

Do you spec cloak for duration, or the one-power-in-cloak thing? I am intrigued by your description.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They used to eat flies.

PSN: Honkalot
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    They used to eat flies.
    I love how he knows that it'll set her off.

A bit curious for those who go with Vanguards in mp. How are you guys able to pull it off :D

I've tried a few times and while I don't get killed..I'm hardly contributing as much as I would like.. granted I think one of my problems is I'm sticking with tradition and going with the old shotgun. I've noticed other players (human and asari mainly) going with other weapons (think I've mainly seen heavy pistols and sniper rifles...maybe an AR here and there).

• Mr FuzmsMr Fuzms Auckland, New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Just had one of those zen pugs that breezed through four silver matches easily before the host buggered off. Got me some nice guns and some customization options on two of my characters. Having played Drell Adept, Turian Sentinel and Quarian Engineer a fair bit now I've gotta say...

Drell Adept all the way. Biotic explosions, everywhere! If you pour all your points into increasing force/combo/etc shit gets flung hilariously far. Also somersault dodge > anything else.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Egos wrote: »
    A bit curious for those who go with Vanguards in mp. How are you guys able to pull it off :D

I've tried a few times and while I don't get killed..I'm hardly contributing as much as I would like.. granted I think one of my problems is I'm sticking with tradition and going with the old shotgun. I've noticed other players (human and asari mainly) going with other weapons (think I've mainly seen heavy pistols and sniper rifles...maybe an AR here and there).

Shotguns work just fine.

You just have to pick your targets, know when to charge 'em, know when to nova 'em, and when to fall the fuck back and get out of dodge.

The early levels are kind of sucky because your cooldowns aren't that great and your powers aren't either, and your durability is...not very. Things open up once you spec charge for area and maxing your shields, bring your cooldowns down a bit, and get nova up and running. Probably around levels 10-14 you'll notice things start clicking as you get better at knowing when to and when not to charge and where, your abilities come online, and you get some decent unlocks for your weapons.

Even the good old fashioned Katana performs pretty decently if you get it leveled up and fit a few mods to it.

• CorellianAmericanCorellianAmerican Registered User regular
    They used to eat flies.

50,000 years seems like an awfully short time for the Salarians to progress past licking their eyes into Space CIA guys.

• Evil MonkeyEvil Monkey Grover beachRegistered User regular
    Mr Fuzms wrote: »
    Just had one of those zen pugs that breezed through four silver matches easily before the host buggered off. Got me some nice guns and some customization options on two of my characters. Having played Drell Adept, Turian Sentinel and Quarian Engineer a fair bit now I've gotta say...

Drell Adept all the way. Biotic explosions, everywhere! If you pour all your points into increasing force/combo/etc shit gets flung hilariously far. Also somersault dodge > anything else.

just finished a game with a drell adept and another asari adept, we just ping ponged everything. enemies were flying every were.

Evil%20MonQey.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    They used to eat flies.
    He's a smart fellow!

PSN: Honkalot
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    They used to eat flies.
    He's a smart fellow!
    He's also a massive ass, which I love. Don't get a lot of those in these games.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Lux wrote: »
    Lemming wrote:

Do you spec cloak for duration, or the one-power-in-cloak thing? I am intrigued by your description.

Spec for two powers before cloak disappears. It makes your powers take a little longer to recharge if you cloak, power, then shoot, but it is super duper useful in a lot of other situations. If you're moving through a group of enemies, it can help to toss a proxy mine and stagger a bunch of them and still slip by. It also helps if you need to get the fuck out, you can cloak, energy drain someone, then run while still invisible and at full shields.

Duration instead of damage also means that you can fully cloak through an item hack/disable/setup/whatever, the thing where you have to do 4 of them. As long as you cloak a little bit before you get to it, the enemies won't know where you are unless they're right on top of you.

You also don't need to max Fitness for the Salarian Winfiltrator, since on the harder difficulties, you pretty much are either 100% fine, or dead. The extra health/shields doesn't really do too much overall. It's still worth getting at least a few points in, the damage reduction on energy drain isn't that useful, and you don't need the 10% weapon damage or 30% reduced sniper weight, so you can throw a few more points in there if you want.

I use the black widow on my Quarian Infiltrator, because her powers aren't as spammable. Sabotage is only really good for hacking enemies, and cryo blast is worthless, so you don't need to worry about spamming powers for her.

Edit: whoops mixed up human and Quarian infiltrator for the last one. Sicky grenade is only worth putting a few points into for me, since I generally don't like grenades. Cryo blast is still completely worthless for every character though.

Lemming on
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    The Mattock seems redundant in this game when several heavy pistols, like the Phalanx or Carnifex, deal more damage with a lighter weight.

"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I find that the saber is vastly superior to the mattock. The damage difference is huge.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    They used to eat flies.

50,000 years seems like an awfully short time for the Salarians to progress past licking their eyes into Space CIA guys.

Look how far we've come in 50,000 years. Hell, in 50 years.

Also, where is everyone seeing this "Turians get a bonus to assault rifle damage, etc" list, because I've googled variations on "mass effect 3 multiplayer racial bonuses" a number of times and haven't found shit, but a few guys in the thread seem to think it should be common knowledge. Share!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    They used to eat flies.

Everything we associate with modern human civilization did not exist 50,000 years ago.

Also, due to their metabolic differences it would probably be the equivalent of 150,000 to 200,000 years or more. But then, writers for games in general seem to have a very difficult time thinking on evolutionary terms.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    They used to eat flies.

Human civilizations only like 25,000. So not really.

Maybe Salarians are under-appreciated for their tongue flexibility?

• CorellianAmericanCorellianAmerican Registered User regular
    They used to eat flies.

I guess I was thinking of it as an evolutionary step rather than a cultural one. Like Homo Erectus to Homo Sapiens rather than Hunter-gatherers to skyscrapers.

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The contrast between the krogan soldier and sentinel is a bit jarring at first, but after a while I'm finding them both pretty damn enjoyable.

Sentinel with the spike launcher makes most baddies taste either the concrete or his fist/headplate. Hell, I barely need the tech armor splosion on bronze. Lift Grenade is kind of an odd choice, but it can help when i'm running in.

Soldier just tosses grenades and carnage. Good game anything that moves.

Most enjoyable is the grab. Had a last survivor situation with me pitted against 2 geth troopers, a rocket trooper and 4 pyros 3 nights ago. In a 15 second period, all except the rocket trooper walked right up to my chest high wall. "KROGAN... PAWWWWNCH!"

EDIT: wrong troopers

naengwen on
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    Guys, how do I link up all my old ME2 dlc on BSN with my origin account? I redeemed my ME2 code from the back of the manual but I don't know what to do about the dlc.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wilting wrote: »
    Guys, how do I link up all my old ME2 dlc on BSN with my origin account? I redeemed my ME2 code from the back of the manual but I don't know what to do about the dlc.

It should all be tied to your EA/Origin account, assuming you have the DLC for PC.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I really want that Gamestop preorder rifle, because it looks cool.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »

It should all be tied to your EA/Origin account, assuming you have the DLC for PC.

Well, it isn't. Same for DA:O.

• RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    I really want that Gamestop preorder rifle, because it looks cool.

I have it.

You're not missing much.

blondeshep.jpg
    Forar wrote: »
    They used to eat flies.

Look how far we've come in 50,000 years. Hell, in 50 years.

Also, where is everyone seeing this "Turians get a bonus to assault rifle damage, etc" list, because I've googled variations on "mass effect 3 multiplayer racial bonuses" a number of times and haven't found shit, but a few guys in the thread seem to think it should be common knowledge. Share!

It's in the Turian Veteran talent tree. I think it's the one of the two last choices.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ahhhhhh, it's not an innate thing, it's a difference within their 'class' tree?

That makes a lot more sense.

People were unclear, I was under the impression it was some kind of 'hidden' bonus.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »
    Ahhhhhh, it's not an innate thing, it's a difference within their 'class' tree?

yeah, it's like the Drell Assassin line where they can get extra damage with a pistol if they choose to ..

Just unlocked the Grall shotgun. Going to play around with that for a bit.

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    Hey, does the MP have a tutorial mode or anything to get used to the specifics, or is my best bet just jump in with randoms on the lowest difficulty and turn off the headset?

• eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    They used to eat flies.

I guess I was thinking of it as an evolutionary step rather than a cultural one. Like Homo Erectus to Homo Sapiens rather than Hunter-gatherers to skyscrapers.

Don't forget that Salarian life expectancy, even with SUPER SCIENCE, is still only around 40 years. Their generations are much shorter.

So I just broke up with Garrus on my NG+ run, it was done really well.

Ending Question:
    I didn't get a Paragon/Renegade option for TIM on Mars. Does that mean I can't get him to off himself in the ending?

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm never going to get this silver win. Whoever designed the enemy spawns decided to masturbate furiously over the screen starting from wave 7 on. Made it to wave 10 once. It was the one where you gotta activate 4 nodes. Which then proceeded to spawn 2 banshees, 2 brutes, and 3 ravagers on top of it. I decide to go for broke and use that missile launcher thing and instantly kill the brutes and banshees. Then another 2 banshees instantly popped right back in. Yes, this is so very fucking possible to win.

I used the free 2 days of live included with ME3. I also have another free month code standing by. I've a feeling I'm not going to use it, if this is the level of bullshit that can go on in multiplayer.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Just play a few rounds, it's not very complicated learning curve-wise.

Learing how to play specific classes can take a little more time but as far as the multiplayer itself goes it's pretty straight forward.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I'm never going to get this silver win. Whoever designed the enemy spawns decided to masturbate furiously over the screen starting from wave 7 on. Made it to wave 10 once. It was the one where you gotta activate 4 nodes. Which then proceeded to spawn 2 banshees, 2 brutes, and 3 ravagers on top of it. I decide to go for broke and use that missile launcher thing and instantly kill the brutes and banshees. Then another 2 banshees instantly popped right back in. Yes, this is so very fucking possible to win.

I used the free 2 days of live included with ME3. I also have another free month code standing by. I've a feeling I'm not going to use it, if this is the level of bullshit that can go on in multiplayer.

ROll with some of the Penny Arcade crew here, they will help you get past any level of insane horse shit. What platform are you on?

dN0T6ur.png
This discussion has been closed.