As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This seems to be doing the rounds, but I thought it was an excellent summary:

Though I discovered that it has been tweeted to the @masseffect twitter guys about a billion times already, but I regret nothing sending it to them again.

The guy's video is well put-together and he keeps it to a professional level of snarkiness, but like a lot of people he's forgetting

(ending spoilers obviously)
    That FTL travel is still possible without the Mass Relays - it will take a lot longer to travel to other systems but it is not impossible. Galactic society as we know it is changed by this but it's not a death sentence for everyone

About that:
    I dunno much about the FTL travel (as far as I know, humanity only really achieved FTL once they found a mass relay), but just because FTL travel is possible doesn't mean at all that galactic society isn't screwed. On a city world where they absolutely rely on importing food, changing transport time from minutes to weeks or months means the planet is essentially screwed; by the time any organized effort could be put together to reach the planet, most of the population would have already starved to death or become cannibals. A place like Eden Prime would be okay, but large portions of the galactic populace would be in enormous trouble.

I'm not saying it's a galaxy-destroying problem, but it's absolutely a major problem since billions would now be unavoidably condemned to death even if galactic society could still survive.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Though I discovered that it has been tweeted to the @masseffect twitter guys about a billion times already, but I regret nothing sending it to them again.

The guy's video is well put-together and he keeps it to a professional level of snarkiness, but like a lot of people he's forgetting

That FTL travel is still possible without the Mass Relays - it will take a lot longer to travel to other systems but it is not impossible. Galactic society as we know it is changed by this but it's not a death sentence for everyone

About that:
    I dunno much about the FTL travel (as far as I know, humanity only really achieved FTL once they found a mass relay), but just because FTL travel is possible doesn't mean at all that galactic society isn't screwed. On a city world where they absolutely rely on importing food, changing transport time from minutes to weeks or months means the planet is essentially screwed; by the time any organized effort could be put together to reach the planet, most of the population would have already starved to death or become cannibals. A place like Eden Prime would be okay, but large portions of the galactic populace would be in enormous trouble.

I'm not saying it's a galaxy-destroying problem, but it's absolutely a major problem since billions would now be unavoidably condemned to death even if galactic society could still survive.
    It doesn't negate any of the other, valid complaints about the endings (and let's face it, the biggest complaints about the endings are meta-textual and transcend in-game lore) but damn it, not everything is a plot hole.

• Options
    HandfalconHandfalcon Registered User regular
    Asari Vanguard and Asari Adept out of the same Spectre pack. Nice haul. The Adept appears to be death imcarnate!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

About that:

And yet I personally feel that kind of high price is exactly in tone with the rest of the game. The other points about the ending have merit, but the fact that a large chunk of the galactic landscape was getting it's head stuck on a pike should have been clear from the first teaser trailer.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Chain Overload - Neural Shock - Chain Overload >>>>>>>>> Damage - Recharge Speed - Shield Damage.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

About that:

And yet I personally feel that kind of high price is exactly in tone with the rest of the game. The other points about the ending have merit, but the fact that a large chunk of the galactic landscape was getting it's head stuck on a pike should have been clear from the first teaser trailer.

Yeah, agree totally. That's the one part of the ending I like.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Look... A relay acts as a hub, and each hub could have dozens of habitable systems within reach, since that was the most efficient way to explore (jump to a relay, explore the space around it using conventional FTL). Travel between these systems hasn't changed.

There weren't even that many relays anyway, since they didn't like turning them on. You don't know what's on the other bloody side until you go through, read about the First Contact War... activating relays is illegal.

So, we're not talking thousands, or even hundreds of hubs here, in game there are only a dozen or so. There will be isolated colonies that are cut off, but the the majority will be in reach of something, since inhabited systems are all clustered together.

Edit: I was fixing it.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Chain Overload - Neural Shock - Chain Overload >>>>>>>>> Damage - Recharge Speed - Shield Damage.

I prefer shield damage on gold. Shield stripping muft be quick!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think you should probably spoiler that, lu tze.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    eeSanG wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Goddamn the Bioware Social Site/EA Social is such a piece of shit, I forgot my password since the last time I used this unnecessary clutter was in Dragon Age 1, I've tried using the "Forgot Password" option 10 times now, spanning over a week, each time I press the link, make a new password and it goes "OOPS SITE DOES NOT WORK RIGHT NOW, TRY AGAIN LATER"... For a full fucking week? Thrash.

EDIT: I wanted to look at the Social Site's list since I did the Tutorial of Amalur, but never got the Chakram Launcher, I did get the Reckoner Armor though.

The most common issue that I've seen with the Chakram Launcher is that players got to the end of the demo, but did not play for the full 45 minutes. The 45 minutes is what unlocks the rifle. I got to the end of the demo in like 25 minutes, so I spent 20 minutes just killing guards until I unlocked the Launcher.

That is the reason, I finished the demo didn't notice this 45 malarky, why they would set this stuff time dependant, instead of finishing demo dependant is beyond me though.
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Goddamn the Bioware Social Site/EA Social is such a piece of shit, I forgot my password since the last time I used this unnecessary clutter was in Dragon Age 1, I've tried using the "Forgot Password" option 10 times now, spanning over a week, each time I press the link, make a new password and it goes "OOPS SITE DOES NOT WORK RIGHT NOW, TRY AGAIN LATER"... For a full fucking week? Thrash.

EDIT: I wanted to look at the Social Site's list since I did the Tutorial of Amalur, but never got the Chakram Launcher, I did get the Reckoner Armor though.

BSN has the same password as your Origin account.

I'm on Xbox, don't have an Origin account, but thanks for the suggestion!

Sirialis on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

In other news, when is the N7 weapon for surviving silver being unlocked? And will it be forever stuck at level I because you can't upgrade it from packs (which is something I am wondering about).

That guy... is that guy me?

I agree with with everything he said, and also agree #9 and #10 are my BIGGEST problems. Those things are what killed it for me, and retroactively disgust me whenever I think about Mass Effect

Re FTL Travel:
    Yes the ships can travel at 8000 times the speed of light they're really fast

They also consume a boatload of fuel to travel at that speed, which would have been fine, except the reapers destroyed every fuel processing facility and depot in the galaxy. So that's only logical if you don't stop and think about it, the writers sure didn't. Basically if all the world's food was grown in China and every oil refinery, oil field, and oil storage facility was suddenly hit by asteroids. Sure we still have the capability to rebuild, eventually, but everything is going to fall apart before we can do anything about it.

override367 on
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @lu tze and @manwiththemachinegun,
    There's also the bit where the Asari were pretty close in ME2 (I think) to being able to construct their own mass relays. Now, granted, having all the relays undergo a controlled explosion is going to have significant short term ramifications on interstellar travel, it will also give the Asari a swift kick in the pants to get off their collective asses and get that shit done.

I may be (and potentially am wrong) about that, but that's kinda how I see it.

EDIT - spoilerific bits were spoiler'd...moving along

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I agree with with everything he said, and also agree #9 and #10 are my BIGGEST problems. Those things are what killed it for me, and retroactively disgust me whenever I think about Mass Effect

Well I'm not feeling disgust at Mass Effect. But I have found, to my own surprise, that I'm less and less willing to replay any of the mass effect games. Apathetic, not angry. Though MP still has me in its grasp.

Anyway, I agree, 9 and 10 are the most egregious parts of the ending.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »

That's valid, but I prefer Chain Overload on Gold because I think it's more important to stagger groups of enemies. The higher you go in difficulty, the more that temporary stun grows in usefulness. That's just my opinion, though. Building for straight damage is also totally valid for Gold.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Re FTL Travel:
    Yes the ships can travel at 8000 times the speed of light they're really fast

They also consume a boatload of fuel to travel at that speed, which would have been fine, except the reapers destroyed every fuel processing facility and depot in the galaxy. So that's only logical if you don't stop and think about it, the writers sure didn't. Basically if all the world's food was grown in China and every oil refinery, oil field, and oil storage facility was suddenly hit by asteroids. Sure we still have the capability to rebuild, eventually, but everything is going to fall apart before we can do anything about it.
    So it falls apart... That doesn't leave galactic society permanently in the stone age, which is what people were saying.

Ever read Foundation?

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    The fuel is Helium-3. There's plenty in the Sol system on Uranus and Saturn.

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Well I'm not feeling disgust at Mass Effect. But I have found, to my own surprise, that I'm less and less willing to replay any of the mass effect games. Apathetic, not angry. Though MP still has me in its grasp.

Part of it I think is simple overload. I'm looking forward to playing some other games that aren't quite as complex or demanding on time as ME can be. And I really enjoyed my time with all three games.

• Options

I agree about smaller stuff too
    like it wouldn't have saved it, but if we had seen our war assets actually present in the ending, as in Mass Effect 2 how each upgrade and loyalty mission comes into play in the ending battle with the collectors, I would probably feel compelled to replay it and get all the assets.

I stopped giving a fuck, even though I had 4 missions undone, when someone spilled on ventrilo that they didn't

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

About that:

As almost everybody who dislikes the ending has pointed out, most of the griping isn't that bad things happen at the end. It is a massive, galactic-scale conflict and people die. What is infinitely more the issue
    is that the ending covers only the part where awful things happen to the galaxy. What the hell happens to everybody you worked with? You are supposed to win for all your effort. Seeing the galaxy get trashed and finding out nothing about all these people on your team gives nothing of what an ending should actually do. All destruction with no solid resolutions leaves the player with a big, fat case of wondering why the hell they even tried to save the galaxy in the first place. Even worse, all that destruction is guaranteed. No matter what you do or have done in any of the games, you cannot change the major facets of any of the endings or find out anything meaningful about the futures of your crewmembers.

As for matter of personal like or dislike, I think it sucks that intergalactic society is essentially destroyed. Yet I would even be okay with that if there was something in place to resolve that ahead of time, such as confirming that mass relays can be built with current tech and you can prepare the galaxy for the inevitable. But nope, just all-round destruction with complete disregard for all those years-old claims that there would naturally have to be fairly divergent endings. That's just bad writing, if not outright lazy.

Oh, and
    I don't see any particular reason why there couldn't have been actual "good" endings to go along with the universally "bad" endings we got. The whole point of the series was to basically choose your own adventure, but instead we got an adventure where every ending puts you on the same exact page. They could've just skipped everything in the middle and said "a shitload of stuff dies, the galaxy is ruined, the end". It's good that they had an ending you liked, but they were supposed to have endings to cover all sorts of choices.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ending stuff:
    Humanity acquired FTL from prothean tech on Mars, then used that to explore the ends of the solar system and find the first mass relay off Charon. I don't know how long it takes to FTL to the nearest system but I expect it's quite awhile. Also they need to discharge the cores into atmo or ground lest they fry everyone onboard, so whether they can FTL to the next system or not depends on how long it takes and how long they can go before discharging, but since the codex said relays enabled travel that would otherwise take decades or centuries, presumably you can make it hopping system to system.

As for the relay explosion, the energy in the center of the relay is fired out the rails to the next relay, while the relay then explodes sending out another pulse of magic colored energy. In Arrival, the rings were shattered and that unleashed energy core grew to something like a supernova. They could have made it clearer but they probably wanted to show the relays being destroyed and not merely shut down, which sounds like you could just reactivate them, and really, if anything could harmlessly dismantle the relays it'd be the relay nerve center.

I like the idea of the relays going down as cost to beat the reapers, and it only works if there's a great cost -- being able to simply rebuild the relays in a fairly short amount of time (decade) or FTL to homeworlds in months or a couple years instead of decades or more makes it fairly trivial (this would depend in part on whether you can actually use a relay one-way or if it requires a destination relay to safely travel -- obviously that could make it take waaaaay longer).

As people are stranded in Sol, they individually have to make the decision on whether to stay in the burgeoning galactic community in human space or begin the long pilgrimage to a homeworld that may only be seen by their children or grandchildren, living the entirety of their remaining lives like nomadic quarians. I think that part is pretty interesting, whereas I assume they had enough supplies to make it to some colony or garden worlds and thus the fleet doesn't starve, since I think the direct problems with the endings are way bigger than the inferred Endor Holocaust ones. Like, for example, how thoroughly terrible the synthesis ending is.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

The fuel for the thrusters is helium-3, the fuel for the Mass Effect Core, which allows the ship to travel faster than light, is Eezo.

override367 on
  • Options
    Shifty_CalhounShifty_Calhoun Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried porting over a mass effect 2 save from xbox 360 to pc?

I heard it can be done.

• Options
    Captain BlackCaptain Black Registered User regular
    In regards to the ending:
    Due to the ridiculous amounts of plot holes/contradictions in the ending, it seems pointless to discuss the ending from a literal perspective. It is far more likely that the events following Harbinger's laser blast are all occurring within Shepard's mind as Harbinger tries to fully indoctrinate him/her. There are WAAAAAY too many things that make zero sense: the fact that no one saw Shepard or Anderson go through the Citadel beam when clearly someone was looking at the beam / reporting in; the dream-like "battle with the Illusive Man," in which Shepard shoots Anderson and somehow magically obtains the same wound (a shot to the lower left side of his gut) once the Illusive Man is taken care of; the clear bias in the Star Child/Catalyst's description of the three possible options; Shepard's lack of questioning the absolutely bat-shit crazy amount of crazy involved with the Catalyst's descriptions.

• Options
    Ending stuff:
    Like, for example, how thoroughly terrible the synthesis ending is.

Yes.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular

The fuel for the thrusters is helium-3, the fuel for the Mass Effect Core, which allows the ship to travel faster than light, is Eezo.

Kinda. You don't use up eezo in the core; you use electricity to charge the eezo, electricity you generate with...helium-3.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't know how long it takes to FTL to the nearest system but I expect it's quite awhile.
    Sol to Tau Ceti in less than a day... Oh the Humanity!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but people are making pretty big assumptions about Mass Effect's FTL drives. They're extremely fast, and the vast majority of interstellar travel is not done using the relays.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

About that:

As almost everybody who dislikes the ending has pointed out, most of the griping isn't that bad things happen at the end. It is a massive, galactic-scale conflict and people die. What is infinitely more the issue
    is that the ending covers only the part where awful things happen to the galaxy. What the hell happens to everybody you worked with? You are supposed to win for all your effort. Seeing the galaxy get trashed and finding out nothing about all these people on your team gives nothing of what an ending should actually do. All destruction with no solid resolutions leaves the player with a big, fat case of wondering why the hell they even tried to save the galaxy in the first place. Even worse, all that destruction is guaranteed. No matter what you do or have done in any of the games, you cannot change the major facets of any of the endings or find out anything meaningful about the futures of your crewmembers.

As for matter of personal like or dislike, I think it sucks that intergalactic society is essentially destroyed. Yet I would even be okay with that if there was something in place to resolve that ahead of time, such as confirming that mass relays can be built with current tech and you can prepare the galaxy for the inevitable. But nope, just all-round destruction with complete disregard for all those years-old claims that there would naturally have to be fairly divergent endings. That's just bad writing, if not outright lazy.

Oh, and
    I don't see any particular reason why there couldn't have been actual "good" endings to go along with the universally "bad" endings we got. The whole point of the series was to basically choose your own adventure, but instead we got an adventure where every ending puts you on the same exact page. They could've just skipped everything in the middle and said "a shitload of stuff dies, the galaxy is ruined, the end". It's good that they had an ending you liked, but they were supposed to have endings to cover all sorts of choices.
    the fact that the galaxy is fucked no matter what you do defeats the entire purpose of playing the games to begin with, because ultimately its all futile

that is not how an epic videogame, that typecasts a particular character (Shepard) as this near superhuman hero, should end.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Part of it I think is simple overload. I'm looking forward to playing some other games that aren't quite as complex or demanding on time as ME can be. And I really enjoyed my time with all three games.

Maybe.

But after playing ME2, I immediately started a second playthrough. Then another ME1 playthough, and about 7 more ME2 playthroughs. I ended up getting all or most of the achievements from the first two games at that point, for fun, when previously I hadn't cared about that stuff. For me to feel apathetic about a second playthrough is... fairly unusual. And I think I do have to credit that back to the ending, specifically
    In that the ending doesn't change no matter what I do.

Although, having read someone's description of the low-assets ending, it sounds comparatively satisfying, and I might try to do one of those.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Basil wrote: »

That's valid, but I prefer Chain Overload on Gold because I think it's more important to stagger groups of enemies. The higher you go in difficulty, the more that temporary stun grows in usefulness. That's just my opinion, though. Building for straight damage is also totally valid for Gold.

There have absolutely been times I've sorely missed the third stun, for sure. 'Course, other times I've been very happy to drop a barrier and not need to pop around the corner for another go. Happily, I can just spec my male Engy for extra zap when I figure I'll need it. Neural shock is just tops, though. I can't live without it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

About that:

It may be the reason there's no "What happens to everyone in the end" at the end of the game.
    Most people on the fleet die as the fleet crashes. Those that survive are eaten by Krogan.
    Jacob Taylor - Eaten by Krogan.
    Zaeed Massani - Eaten by Krogan.
    Kasumi Goto - Eaten by Krogan.
    Wrex - Deposed and eaten by Krogan.
    Grunt - Eats the Krogan that ate Wrex. Eats other Krogan.
    Miranda Lawson and Jack - escape to a remote place in the Orkney Islands, live out the rest of their lives in isolation together, killing and eating any Krogan that wander by.
    Garrus - Commits suicide three days after arrival on the remote planet, out of guilt from abandoning Shepard, and to make the food supply of dextro-amino food last longer for Tali.
    Tali - Starves to death two months after arrival on the remote planet.
    Joker - Eaten by a bear on the remote planet.
    EDI - Dedicates the rest of her existence to killing bears, to the exclusion of all else.
    Javik - With no war left to fight, and no interest in living in primitive squalor on the remote planet, Javik commits suicide.
    VS/Vega - Hook up.
    The Normandy crew - colonizes the remote planet, but since there's only about thirty of them to start, inbreeding occurs fairly quickly. Within a hundred years, over half of the colony has the surname Vega.
    Liara - While initially the de facto leader of the survivors on the remote planet, eventually their descendants decide that she's different, and they hate different. Liara is burned as a witch.

Anything less would be rainbows and unicorns.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Haha. I like that *Post Rannoch spoilers*
    You walk on in on James and Kaidan and bro it up over taking down a reaper on foot.

Kaidan: Totally took down a reaper.
    Shep: Yup. I did.
    Vega: Yes, you did.
    Shep: Hell yeah.

blondeshep.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yup!
    And again, Eden Prime is close. On a galactic scale at least.

Tali would, assuming there's food and venting opportunities, live to see Rannoch again.

Going from hours to years is huge, and it changes galactic society, but most places should be alright.

• Options

I see no reference that Element Zero is consumed during Mass Effect generation, only that it is subjected to an electrical current. It also only reduces the mass, the thrusters are still used for FTL travel.

If you can find evidence that Eezo is consumed, I will glady admit that I am wrong.

LFMGb.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In regards to the ending:
    Due to the ridiculous amounts of plot holes/contradictions in the ending, it seems pointless to discuss the ending from a literal perspective. It is far more likely that the events following Harbinger's laser blast are all occurring within Shepard's mind as Harbinger tries to fully indoctrinate him/her. There are WAAAAAY too many things that make zero sense: the fact that no one saw Shepard or Anderson go through the Citadel beam when clearly someone was looking at the beam / reporting in; the dream-like "battle with the Illusive Man," in which Shepard shoots Anderson and somehow magically obtains the same wound (a shot to the lower left side of his gut) once the Illusive Man is taken care of; the clear bias in the Star Child/Catalyst's description of the three possible options; Shepard's lack of questioning the absolutely bat-shit crazy amount of crazy involved with the Catalyst's descriptions.
    I agree, the particulars that people are inventing are just that, and the writer's intention

They couldn't be bothered to tell us what the fuck actually happened, so LOTS OF SPECULATION

I see no reference that Element Zero is consumed during Mass Effect generation, only that it is subjected to an electrical current. It also only reduces the mass, the thrusters are still used for FTL travel.

If you can find evidence that Eezo is consumed, I will glady admit that I am wrong.

You may be right but we're pretty much grasping at straws, since the game doesn't feel it necessary to tell us
    regardless, few ships are capable of extended journeys, as you can only travel as far as your ship can hold fuel for, and then you need to find more fuel, and the infrastructure is gone

override367 on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    lu tze wrote: »
    I don't know how long it takes to FTL to the nearest system but I expect it's quite awhile.
    Sol to Tau Ceti in less than a day... Oh the Humanity!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but people are making pretty big assumptions about Mass Effect's FTL drives. They're extremely fast, and the vast majority of interstellar travel is not done using the relays.
    Okay, wrong term. Clusters, not systems. The ones you actually use relays to travel to. Since the codex flat out states that it takes decades or centuries to make some of the journeys on the galaxy map without relays, it's not a trivial issue, and that's granting that it implies ships can make it cluster-to-cluster before having to discharge their cores.

Edit: Also that should probably go in spoilers, Lu Tze. It's easy to figure out what people are talking about from context.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Ending stuff:
    Humanity acquired FTL from prothean tech on Mars, then used that to explore the ends of the solar system and find the first mass relay off Charon. I don't know how long it takes to FTL to the nearest system but I expect it's quite awhile. Also they need to discharge the cores into atmo or ground lest they fry everyone onboard, so whether they can FTL to the next system or not depends on how long it takes and how long they can go before discharging, but since the codex said relays enabled travel that would otherwise take decades or centuries, presumably you can make it hopping system to system.

As for the relay explosion, the energy in the center of the relay is fired out the rails to the next relay, while the relay then explodes sending out another pulse of magic colored energy. In Arrival, the rings were shattered and that unleashed energy core grew to something like a supernova. They could have made it clearer but they probably wanted to show the relays being destroyed and not merely shut down, which sounds like you could just reactivate them, and really, if anything could harmlessly dismantle the relays it'd be the relay nerve center.

I like the idea of the relays going down as cost to beat the reapers, and it only works if there's a great cost -- being able to simply rebuild the relays in a fairly short amount of time (decade) or FTL to homeworlds in months or a couple years instead of decades or more makes it fairly trivial (this would depend in part on whether you can actually use a relay one-way or if it requires a destination relay to safely travel -- obviously that could make it take waaaaay longer).

As people are stranded in Sol, they individually have to make the decision on whether to stay in the burgeoning galactic community in human space or begin the long pilgrimage to a homeworld that may only be seen by their children or grandchildren, living the entirety of their remaining lives like nomadic quarians. I think that part is pretty interesting, whereas I assume they had enough supplies to make it to some colony or garden worlds and thus the fleet doesn't starve, since I think the direct problems with the endings are way bigger than the inferred Endor Holocaust ones. Like, for example, how thoroughly terrible the synthesis ending is.
    I don't need a quick healing of the galaxy either, but would it really have been that hard to throw in a mission where you secure information to ensure at least the eventual development of mass relays? Something bad happening isn't the problem, it's that something bad happens and they write in no way to explain how the galaxy will cope or how you will allow the galaxy to cope. But even then, the loss of billions of lives is already a pretty heavy price; it's not like there needs to be even further injury to the galaxy to prove that things are really, really serious.

And yeah, I did look some of the Mass Effect FTL stuff. Looks like they can travel at least 200 times lightspeed. Taking that as a metric, it would take at least a week non-stop to travel to Alpha Centauri and that's just the closest star to Earth. It could easily take months to reach any sort of habitable world or, much more importantly, any place that was capable of supporting the fleet.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Someone please point to me where it says ships consume eezo in order to travel, as opposed to using it to construct the engines.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    anyone else having weird problems buying stuff from the store

keep getting errors about my purchases failing to process

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    On this thing we are discussing about the (sigh) ending...
    The relay destruction is problematic for people only because it's required by every ending, and I think many of us expected and desired a wide range of endings. It feels like this major setting change (and it's only a change, not apocalypse, as people have pointed out) is imposed on the player rather than emerging from a specific set of choices.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Element Zero (Atomic Number 0, Chemical Symbol Ez), also known as 'eezo', is a rare material that, when subjected to an electrical current, releases dark energy which can be manipulated into a mass effect field, raising or lowering the mass of all objects within that field

Man, that Dark Energy ending could have been so great.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
This discussion has been closed.