As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So about FTL travel:
    It doesn't matter. Let's assume that eezo is not consumed, and that helium-3 is readily available. Let's even assume they can haul as much fuel as they need with them. What matters is: consumables. How many people are in orbit around earth? How many wounded? How many mouths to feed? Where would food and medical supplies come from? Where would you get fresh drinking water? As has already been mentioned, other than the Quarians, most of the ships are battleships, meant for war and not decades-long expeditions.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Glacier's one of the levels that really benefits from having a Vanguard on yoru team. It's easy to break line of sight, so a Vanguard can do a lot of damage and then run like Hell, kiting a lot of enemies away from the body of the team. Between a Vanguard and a couple of Adepts/Engineers, you can usually lock down at least two paths or turn one entrance into a deathtrap.

The computer hack at the bottom of the stairs is a bitch, though, and one of you is going to go down. Whenever that comes up I pretty much accept that I'm not going to be in there at all: my whole job becomes "piss off the Banshees and Brutes enough to make them chase me"

dN0T6ur.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    it's the cerberus-y map with the snowy background

I actually think it's one of the easier maps on silver; the little area platform near the shuttle that the ladder leads up to is a nice chokepoint on most waves with 1-2 corridors that all the enemies in a wave have to funnel into

the only level I really don't like is that chemical plant one, but it might just be that I'm not used to nagivating it

You're thinking of Firebase White, the Noveria map. Glacier looks like this:
    Firebase_Glacier.jpg

s7Imn5J.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    do you guys use like, voicechat and shit when you play on 360 or do you just join eachother's games? I haven't had voice enabled on live for ever and ever

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    it's the cerberus-y map with the snowy background

I actually think it's one of the easier maps on silver; the little area platform near the shuttle that the ladder leads up to is a nice chokepoint on most waves with 1-2 corridors that all the enemies in a wave have to funnel into

the only level I really don't like is that chemical plant one, but it might just be that I'm not used to nagivating it

You're thinking of Firebase White, the Noveria map. Glacier looks like this:
    Firebase_Glacier.jpg

that is a hard map for reapers

but its pretty enjoyable in a super hectic sort of way though

when I did it on silver for the challenge on that map it kept giving us hold the point objectives which are usually pretty hard against reapers anyway

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    So about FTL travel:
    It doesn't matter. Let's assume that eezo is not consumed, and that helium-3 is readily available. Let's even assume they can haul as much fuel as they need with them. What matters is: consumables. How many people are in orbit around earth? How many wounded? How many mouths to feed? Where would food and medical supplies come from? Where would you get fresh drinking water? As has already been mentioned, other than the Quarians, most of the ships are battleships, meant for war and not decades-long expeditions.

this quote tree has ending spoilers
    Quarians show everybody their liveship technology

it's gonna be tough for a while, but not an insurmountable obstacle

PNk1Ml4.png
    do you guys use like, voicechat and shit when you play on 360 or do you just join eachother's games? I haven't had voice enabled on live for ever and ever

I haven't played with any of the PA folks but as a rule I use voice where possible. It's necessary for good coordination on anything above Bronze.

Bronze is boring now. Dammit!

dN0T6ur.png
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    As a Manguard, which shotgun do I want to be vetting the most? Currently I'm kind of bouncing between the Scimitar and the Eviscerator. The ones that I have past that are waaaay too heavy for what I do at the point in the game I am at. Are there any lighter alternatives to those two going forward?

Until you get the CLaymore to level X you're not going to get much use out of the bestest shotgun, so be prepared for that. GPS is much the same. The Disicple weighs less than the Katana but is exactly as strong, that one is great. For power-based Vanguards, the Scimitar, the Disciple, the Katana, and an upgraded Eviscerator are pretty much top tier.

Edit: Wait is this a multiplayer or a singleplayer question?

Single Player

Yeah I charge and punch more than I shoot stuff. I use an upgraded phalanx at range. I mostly use the shotgun to pop the noggins of my secondary targets. The disciple is the spectre shotgun yes?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular

I haven't been using a mic. Granted I don't have a full-on headset. If I did, I might consider it. As is , if I used one you would get feedback from me playing the game. Which would just be annoying.

edited March 2012
    As a Manguard, which shotgun do I want to be vetting the most? Currently I'm kind of bouncing between the Scimitar and the Eviscerator. The ones that I have past that are waaaay too heavy for what I do at the point in the game I am at. Are there any lighter alternatives to those two going forward?

Until you get the CLaymore to level X you're not going to get much use out of the bestest shotgun, so be prepared for that. GPS is much the same. The Disicple weighs less than the Katana but is exactly as strong, that one is great. For power-based Vanguards, the Scimitar, the Disciple, the Katana, and an upgraded Eviscerator are pretty much top tier.

Single Player

Yeah I charge and punch more than I shoot stuff. I use an upgraded phalanx at range. I mostly use the shotgun to pop the noggins of my secondary targets. The disciple is the spectre shotgun yes?
    Drop your Phalanx, pick the shotgun of your choice, and go to town. Spec Shepard for having more shields and a better recharge rate. When upgraded to level V with the research upgrades for better power recharge, even the heaviest shotgun will give you a really fast recharge. Get up in their faces and lay them to waste. If you're in single-player, you're a lot more powerful than you think you are. Be bold. Use your environment. Take whatever shotgun you like best, but take it by itself.

The Disciple is an asari shotgun.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png

Single Player

disciple is the asari one, spectre shotgun is the wraith and has two shots in a clip

I used the graal for most of my insanity run after I got it, only carried it and still had a172% cooldown which is fine and since I had a ton of cooldown orientated armor pieces i could still charge forever

it does good damage and with maxed out inferno ammo as well as armour piecing as my bonus skill it could take on pretty much any enemy type easily

and it shoots spikes which is pretty awesome

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I do appreciate that the game lets you increase your power recharge speed more and more in the single player game. By the end of my initial runthrough I had a Claymore V and a +118% power cooldown bonus.

That's good enough for me.

i played with the upgraded Vindicator rifle in the singleplayer. Its light enough to let you maintain 200% recharge bonus. Between Charge and Nova, I never had the time to shoot at close range, let alone any inclination to do so. The Vindicator helped fill the vanguard's long-range deficiencies.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    I do appreciate that the game lets you increase your power recharge speed more and more in the single player game. By the end of my initial runthrough I had a Claymore V and a +118% power cooldown bonus.

i played with the upgraded Vindicator rifle in the singleplayer. Its light enough to let you maintain 200% recharge bonus. Between Charge and Nova, I never had the time to shoot at close range, let alone any inclination to do so. The Vindicator helped fill the vanguard's long-range deficiencies.

What the Hell is "long-range"!

dN0T6ur.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

What the Hell is "long-range"!

fighting enemies across a gap that you can't charge.
    happens from time to time.

here's what my vanguard playthrough looked like
    Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova Charge Nova

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Disciple shotgun is the best for Vanguards. Phalanx pistol and Katana X are good substitutes though until then.

Katana X does damn near as much damage as Widow 1, but gives 191% recharge speed. Phalanx give 200% speed and has great range and decent damage. I think there are better pistols.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Egos wrote: »

I haven't been using a mic. Granted I don't have a full-on headset. If I did, I might consider it. As is , if I used one you would get feedback from me playing the game. Which would just be annoying.

yeah, I don't have a mic that works with the 360. I guess I could plug some earbuds in or just run voice through the speakers, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This seems to be doing the rounds, but I thought it was an excellent summary:

Though I discovered that it has been tweeted to the @masseffect twitter guys about a billion times already, but I regret nothing sending it to them again.

In other news, when is the N7 weapon for surviving silver being unlocked? And will it be forever stuck at level I because you can't upgrade it from packs (which is something I am wondering about).

I actually liked that.
    I really don't see why people think that the Geth/Quarian conflict is forever solved and never going to be repeated, ever. First of all, the Krogans are another example of "created" life rebelling, and it seems like more people are willing to put them down. Second, they only made peace during a galaxy-wide extinction event. It took sentient spaceships able to destroy entire worlds for them to make peace and start working together. Do you really think that absent the Reapers they would have reconciled?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest

Single Player

disciple is the asari one, spectre shotgun is the wraith and has two shots in a clip

I used the graal for most of my insanity run after I got it, only carried it and still had a172% cooldown which is fine and since I had a ton of cooldown orientated armor pieces i could still charge forever

it does good damage and with maxed out inferno ammo as well as armour piecing as my bonus skill it could take on pretty much any enemy type easily

Probably going to go shotgun only to finish out this playthrough and respec less PUNCH MANS and go the barrier route. I'm only playing in Normal atm so it's not like I'm ever in any real danger anyway. Until I get the Disciple I'm probably going to run with either the Eviscerator (gotta respect the classics) or the Scimitar. In a build like that do I still want to keep max inferno ammo or at that range would cryo ammo actually be not shit since I'm going to be in everyone's grill all the time anyway?

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    wilting wrote: »
    :(

I consider synthesis to be the best ending. I don't understand why people don't like it, it is Shepard sacrificing to break the cycle, the best chance for peace, consistent with Mordin and Legion's sacrifices and the results thereof. 'Indoctrination' isn't a valid reason seeing as that is just something people made up. I doesn't huskify anyone, it is nothing like what the Reapers do or Saren advocated.
    It makes no sense, and is heavily tied to the dumb catalyst thing.

Destroy and control are heavily forshadowed and deal with the central problem of the narrative. Synthesis is starchild just making shit up.

And the Disciple is pretty cool. Light and effective. Lot of people prefer it to the eviscerator.

Savages.
    Really? You don't think synthesis was foreshadowed at all? What about the multiple references of Shep being part machine already? What about the whole damn character of EDI? What about entering into the Geth consciousness?
    Pretty valid counterevidence, if anything. Synthesis is based on "Organics and robots hate the shit out of each other. Magic space dust is the only solution."

Those moments were "You know what doesn't really matter? The gulf between organic and machine. Greg is totally right, and Chakwas is wrong. Man, those quarians were jerks."
    Well, I disagree with organics and robots hating the shit out of each other. I don't know if such an emotional thing as an inevitable thing. We see synthetics and organics at each other's throats from the very beginning and only Shep can bring them together. Since Shep can't live forever and seems to be the universe's biggest anomaly ever, I somehow doubt peace would last between synthetics and organics after Shep dies. Therefore, any option that doesn't merge the two will just promote the same cycle over and over. The magic space dust thing is whatever because magic dust is used for any ending.

• AshtonWiseAshtonWise I Wanna Be An Elcor! AlabamaRegistered User regular
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    finnith wrote: »

Though I discovered that it has been tweeted to the @masseffect twitter guys about a billion times already, but I regret nothing sending it to them again.

In other news, when is the N7 weapon for surviving silver being unlocked? And will it be forever stuck at level I because you can't upgrade it from packs (which is something I am wondering about).

I actually liked that.
    I really don't see why people think that the Geth/Quarian conflict is forever solved and never going to be repeated, ever. First of all, the Krogans are another example of "created" life rebelling, and it seems like more people are willing to put them down. Second, they only made peace during a galaxy-wide extinction event. It took sentient spaceships able to destroy entire worlds for them to make peace and start working together. Do you really think that absent the Reapers they would have reconciled?
    Except the quarians were the aggressors, not the Geth. The Geth would have happily had peace, even prior to having a fully evolved AI like they can get during ME3.

There's nothing to say it won't repeat itself, just like there's no way to say, hey Germany won't try to take over Europe again sometime down the road. But you don't base the annihilation of organic life across an entire galaxy on what might be. The starchild might have concluded it was the only way to go but that doesn't mean that it is some all knowing omnipotent being, it isn't god, it is just a super evolved AI that came to a calculated conclusion.

The geth may very well rebel again down the road, or some other created synthetic life may, but you don't stop evolution, you don't stop progress and life purely to prevent that from occurring.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Lilnoobs wrote: »
    wilting wrote: »
    :(

I consider synthesis to be the best ending. I don't understand why people don't like it, it is Shepard sacrificing to break the cycle, the best chance for peace, consistent with Mordin and Legion's sacrifices and the results thereof. 'Indoctrination' isn't a valid reason seeing as that is just something people made up. I doesn't huskify anyone, it is nothing like what the Reapers do or Saren advocated.
    It makes no sense, and is heavily tied to the dumb catalyst thing.

Destroy and control are heavily forshadowed and deal with the central problem of the narrative. Synthesis is starchild just making shit up.

And the Disciple is pretty cool. Light and effective. Lot of people prefer it to the eviscerator.

Savages.
    Really? You don't think synthesis was foreshadowed at all? What about the multiple references of Shep being part machine already? What about the whole damn character of EDI? What about entering into the Geth consciousness?

sort of
    the series kind of plays at some transhumanist themes, but most of the time when they're brought up we see the player and other characters explicitly rejecting them. Pretty much every 'merged' character in the series is either an outright antagonist or of questionable morality.
    This may have been why I was more endured to these characters and why I thought synthesis preferable.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »

I mostly agree with him, though on some points I don't.
    I'm happy with a real bittersweet ending. Shepard dying is cool with me. Destroying the mass relays especially is something I hope they don't change. Assuming they change anything at all.
    Also I don't think the ending is the worst thing ever, I just think it's mediocre.

By the way, Retake Mass Effect is at 65k.

Yeah I don't agree with his point there either, except that:
    I don't mind them not blowing up the relays. I think that should be the ultimate "Renegade" choice and the relays being destroyed should depend on your past actions. It gives it huge impact and really makes you feel like "I sacrificed the galaxy to save it", which is definitely a very brutal thing to do. Let me contrast to another decision: When I shot Mordin in the back.

That had a huge emotional impact on me - it made me feel bad as a human being (as it should mind you). But it did so because it was my choice. It wasn't Bioware forcing me into a rubbish "Choose from these same three shitty options all with the same dumb result anyway", it was my decision to shoot him in the back and so it had full impact. I didn't *have* to, but I couldn't let him cure the genophage with how screwed up the Krogan were (Wreave is an idiot). Because the consequence of that decision was the result of my decisions it had impact. Destroying the relays has nothing to do with me and happens regardless of what I do: So potentially one of the greatest changes that could have a massive impact on the setting has no impact or meaning.

Why should I care? My choices didn't do this at all. I am literally getting three different options of "Shoot Mordin" and that's it. Where is the investment that I am supposed to have in this? Where is the genuine decision? There is none, just take whatever crappy color I want and watch the same boring cutscene (just colored differently) then get on with things. There is nothing to mull over about if I did something that was right or not, because nothing in the past of the game matters a damn on what I did now. While with Mordin, with Wrex and Eve alive, you can have a considerably different moral debate about curing the genophage: A moral debate that is lost if the game didn't take into account your past actions (but again, it totally does and that's what makes it awesome).

Really that is in the end why I hate the ending. It doesn't take into account your past actions and is just a waste of a brilliant opportunity. I can only imagine how my renegade shepard would even *live* with herself (or feel as she was dying) knowing what she had done to the galaxy after purging the reapers by destroying the relays with them. That would have a huge impact on me as a player, because it's a shitty resolution but if it was that way because of my past actions I would just have to deal with it. I would also absolutely love the ending for having the balls and courage to do that, because space asshole Shepard would totally be dealing with the consequences to his actions. That's all I wanted from the ending and it's what the ending failed to deliver with its "Choose ABC, btw they all suck and are utterly illogical!".

Though I concede I hate the space magic synthesis ending the most.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.

Single Player

Probably going to go shotgun only to finish out this playthrough and respec less PUNCH MANS and go the barrier route. I'm only playing in Normal atm so it's not like I'm ever in any real danger anyway. Until I get the Disciple I'm probably going to run with either the Eviscerator (gotta respect the classics) or the Scimitar. In a build like that do I still want to keep max inferno ammo or at that range would cryo ammo actually be not shit since I'm going to be in everyone's grill all the time anyway?

I'd take Inferno Ammo and Cryo Ammo together, and take the Squad Ammo evolution for Cryo, because it's still great and will save your butt a few times (on Insanity; on Normal you'll just turn people in snowcones).

When you unlock Warp Ammo, though, you might as well drop Inferno Ammo in favor of that. Warp Ammo is better in every way that matters.

dN0T6ur.png
    finnith wrote: »

I actually liked that.
    And let's not forget even galactic extinction was not a strong enough motivation to bring the species together. It took Shep (space Jesus) to bring them all together. What do people think would happen after Shep dies?

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    To the thing Finnith and Lilnoobs are talking about, end spoilers in the conversation:
    Why are we talking about the krogan like they're synthetic? Uplifted isn't the same as created, and their making peace has more to do with the leadership of Wrex and Eve than Shepard. Shepard only ensures the genophage cure works.

s7Imn5J.png
  • EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    To the thing Finnith and Lilnoobs are talking about, end spoilers in the conversation:
    Why are we talking about the krogan like they're synthetic? Uplifted isn't the same as created, and their making peace has more to do with the leadership of Wrex and Eve than Shepard. Shepard only ensures the genophage cure works.
    Yeah, I definitely feel like Shepard's somewhere between token Human support and escort for Eve in the Krogan situation, besides the parts where he plays diplomat.

• jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    So I just finished the mission
    where you find that Miranda's dad has been working working on controlling the Reapers
    so I've only got a couple of missions left.

I imported my save from ME2, have done about every side mission possible and I've just about maxed out my Paragon rating. I'm floating somewhere around 7k points but with only a 50% Readiness Rating. How much multiplayer will I have to play to get that up above 5000 points so I can get the "good ending?"

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I think
    they're more referring to the fact that the synthetics are somehow considered completely incompatible with organics despite the geth being quite peaceful, yet the krogan only gained a semblance of peacefulness when faced with the extinction of their race and intelligent life throughout the galaxy. Synthetics destroying organics is considered "inevitable" despite organics (quarians) being the active aggressors against the one true machine race (geth), yet the krogan were going to wipe out everything anyway and they were definitely not synthetic. That, and the krogan only became spacefaring when interfered with, so they certainly have an artifical element to their advancement.

jhunter46 wrote: »
    So I just finished the mission
    where you find that Miranda's dad has been working working on controlling the Reapers
    so I've only got a couple of missions left.

I imported my save from ME2, have done about every side mission possible and I've just about maxed out my Paragon rating. I'm floating somewhere around 7k points but with only a 50% Readiness Rating. How much multiplayer will I have to play to get that up above 5000 points so I can get the "good ending?"

It would not take very long to get that to 60%-70% or so to have more than enough EMS.

Personally I've heard the most interesting ending in ME3 ironically has hardly any EMS, but it isn't like I have any motivation to play the SP again any time soon (if ever).

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Synthetic ending.
    I fail to see how synthesis will bring about the end of war. I mean, will there not be other organics in the future? Or did the Catalyst somehow make every organism in the Universe synthetic? And so what if it did. Can't the current synthetic/organic hybrids just make more robots that rebel, leading to more war?

It's the same result as destroy imo. Sythesis doesn't create peace forever just like destroy and control does not create universal peace forever. Sooner or later there will be more war and destruction.

Starkid is a lier. Or stupid. Or both.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Wyborn wrote:
    I'd take Inferno Ammo and Cryo Ammo together, and take the Squad Ammo evolution for Cryo, because it's still great and will save your butt a few times (on Insanity; on Normal you'll just turn people in snowcones).

When you unlock Warp Ammo, though, you might as well drop Inferno Ammo in favor of that. Warp Ammo is better in every way that matters.

would you advise I drop lift for that? So far I've been taking a fast recharge lift and bringing the brothean along to give it a 1 second cooldown to set up my own biotic explosions, using charge as the trigger.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So for PC players, Gamestop is selling the $20 EA Cards for $15 right now. Which can be used to buy Bioware funbucks.

I just bought 3 cards worth of Spectre packs. (I am weak.)

Only missing the Asari Vanguard, Turian Soldier, and Quarian Engineer classes, Got the Geth Rifle, Geth Shotgun, Carnifex, and Arc Pistol to rank IV, and the Widow to III, and unlocked all the rare weapons but the Falcon and Graal.

plus I have like 70 each of medpacks, rockets, etc.

Now to really get to business on some multiplayer.

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Anyone noticed there credits going down in multiplayer?

1Gn4PNI.png
    On another note, the rifle that Javik brings with him is hilarious to watch in action. How it relates to the story going back to ME2
    Does anyone think that rifle was the basis of the collector beam in ME2? given the way it functions?

On another note, the rifle that Javik brings with him is hilarious to watch in action. How it relates to the story going back to ME2
    Does anyone think that rifle was the basis of the collector beam in ME2? given the way it functions?

Yes, it almost certainly is.

Lemming wrote: »

I never expected them to actually change the ending

but it doesn't rule out any dlc that could expand on it

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Synthetic ending.
    I fail to see how synthesis will bring about the end of war. I mean, will there not be other organics in the future? Or did the Catalyst somehow make every organism in the Universe synthetic? And so what if it did. Can't the current synthetic/organic hybrids just make more robots that rebel, leading to more war?

It's the same result as destroy imo. Sythesis doesn't create peace forever just like destroy and control does not create universal peace forever. Sooner or later there will be more war and destruction.

Starkid is a lier. Or stupid. Or both.

To SoundsPlush
    I think taking the organics vs. synthetics theme at face value is narrowing it too much. Otherwise the Krogan conflict doesn't really make sense in the context in the plot. Rather I think the decision was meant to look at the creator/created relationship. The Geth were tools meant to augment Quarians, much like how the Krogans were tools used by the Quarians used for the specific purpose of defeating the Rachni. Once their use expired, the creators ended up being threatened.
    To Herpes and Mild Confusion
    Ostensibly you and Herpes are right. A lot of what the Catalyst says is on conditionals. The Catalyst states that "if" organic life evolves to a certain point, it is then certain that they will create their own life with whom they will conflict. If you can't suspend your disbelief and take his conditions then you can't do much during the ending. I think it may have worked better if they maybe introduced the solutions a bit earlier. A lot of people seem to be put off by how late the Catalyst was introduced even though the themes he talked about were repeated throughout the series. Of course the people who don't want hard sci-fi at all will still hate it.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
This discussion has been closed.