As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Cosplay?

MizYinMizYin Registered User new member
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
Well, I've never been to a con before. My brother and I have a simple question:

Is it common for people to cosplay at PAX?

We don't want to look like total idiots in costumes if nobody else is going to XD Why waste the fabric if nobody else cosplays, right?

So yeah, do people cosplay there?

MizYin on

• BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They do, but nowhere near as much as if you were to go to say, an anime con. I know of several cosplayers however so no worries, you won't be the only one ^.^

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah only like 1% of people who go (if that) actually cosplay.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am dressing up as a early 1900's newsboy from New Arcadia (the place where the PA game takes place) and I am going to be handing out some Steam Punk magazine being made by the Penny Arcade forum community.

My thread that asks for suggestions about my costume:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=25878

The Steam punk magazine project thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=22377

I chose this idea because I don't really look like any cool video game or anime characters.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • HotSakeHotSake Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There's actually a Steampunk magazine, you know. You should just hand that out. I'm sure they'd appreciate the exposure. It's a free pdf zine.

HotSake on
    hotsakepaxsigbl0.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I highly suggest you don't cosplay. A cosplay related item or two would seem ok.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • artificeartifice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    awh but its so fun, dont listen to him, go for it!

artifice on
  • Tony_BTony_B Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah do what you feel like, it's freakin PAX!

Tony_B on
    PhotoshopHeroescopy-1.gif
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    don't be one of those people

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anybody dressed up is going to be in the extreme minority. Nobody's going to tell you not to do it, but seriously, leave it to the disgusting anime conventions.

Thello on
  • nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You might get a few odd looks from people but no one should make fun of you or discourage you from doing it. To each their own... PAX is above all else a FESTIVAL of gaming... and you should see the crazy things people wear (or don't wear) at other festivals in Seattle.

nearlysober on
  • Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I was thinking about getting a whole mess of people to make Vault suits and all going as vault dwellers since it would be simple and effective.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    There was a guy in a vault suit last year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yeah but was there a whole mess of people?

Captain Cthulhu on
    edited June 2007
    In my mind there was.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LordHomsarLordHomsar Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If I had Time, Money, Patience and some drywall stilts, i could cosplay Frank Horrigan, but i have none of the above.

LordHomsar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's not cosplaying if you dress like that every day. ;) lol

And by like I mean nerdy, unnatural hair color, weird clothing etc.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • Spyder ZSpyder Z I am What and Who I am Shoreline, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Put it this way. Do you feel comfortable enough to be looked at by everyone you pass as they attempt to place who you're dressed up as? If the answer is yes, then do it. There isn't an Anti-Cosplay vibe at PAX if that's what you're askin. ;P

Spyder Z on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Spyder Z wrote: »
    Put it this way. Do you feel comfortable enough to be looked at by everyone you pass as they attempt to place who you're dressed up as? If the answer is yes, then do it. There isn't an Anti-Cosplay vibe at PAX if that's what you're askin. ;P

People don't cosplay if they don't want to be looked at, as near as I can tell.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Spyder Z wrote: »

People don't cosplay if they don't want to be looked at, as near as I can tell.

Although some people shouldn't cosplay... we all know what I'm talkin' about....

<.<

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Haha. Now I'm that bad guy of the thread. There was another thread on this with a lot more detailed points.

I'll make a different point. Cosplay if you like, but please don't have a bulky costume. I know there's a bigger venus this year, but last year was packed, and if you have a bulky costume you wouldn't be able to get anywhere.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    In other words: don't use huge-assed pieces of lumber in your costume.

b0wser on
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    An animatronic Frank Horrigan costume/suit would be awesome beyond belief.

de4dmeta1 on
  • Tony HellmannTony Hellmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Cosplay can actually be useful for more than just looking cool (or cute, or scary, or whatever)...

At PAX '06, when I threw out the very last T-shirt, it got wrapped around a rail hanging from the building overhang/awning. The crowd began to build a human pyramid to get it, but were a few feet short. Suddenly Cloud rolled up with a bigass sword and handed it to a guy on top of the pyramid, who proceeded to bat it down.

There was police intervention right in the middle of the whole ruckus too (motorcycle cop, mirrored shades and everything), but no one went to jail (although he offered to take a couple people).

--Tony

Tony Hellmann on
    Tony Hellmann
    CEO, Technomancer Press
    http://www.technomancer-press.com

Check out TerraDrive Live...its happening at PAX, and everyone's playing
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Personally, I'd have to say save the cosplay for Sakuracon. That's what I do.

Not that there's anything wrong with it but like others have said, PAX isn't really the place for cosplaying. Unless you happen to be one of those lemmings from last year.

Aydr on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think cosplaying video game characters would be fine, not so much for the anime.

Shade on
    edited July 2007
    Cosplay can actually be useful for more than just looking cool (or cute, or scary, or whatever)...

At PAX '06, when I threw out the very last T-shirt, it got wrapped around a rail hanging from the building overhang/awning. The crowd began to build a human pyramid to get it, but were a few feet short. Suddenly Cloud rolled up with a bigass sword and handed it to a guy on top of the pyramid, who proceeded to bat it down.

There was police intervention right in the middle of the whole ruckus too (motorcycle cop, mirrored shades and everything), but no one went to jail (although he offered to take a couple people).

--Tony

Bwahahaha! I remember that. Twas truly awesome. ;P I wish someone had caught that on camera. And the cop was hilarious. He showed up acting like he was some big BadArse, about to bust some heads due to an "illegal weapon" and then when he realized it was a wooden sword, he just kinda crawled off with his tail between his legs. :lol: Twas an awesome start to PAX. 8-)

Spyder Z on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hurray for Cloud! Was it video game Cloud or the updated Advent Children Cloud?

mentok1982 on
    edited July 2007
    Advent Children Cloud... Hold up, I may have gotten a picture of him...

*Goes looking through his pictures*

Okay not exactly AC Cloud either, but here he was. ;P
    cloudqy5.jpg

Spyder Z on
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I remember watching that shit from in line. I think it was one if the CCSTers on top of that pyramid. Can somebody verify this for me?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LordHomsarLordHomsar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it was one of those kids from Michigan that I roomed with.

LordHomsar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2007
    Nobody has a picture of the pyramid in action?

/me goes google image searching...

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was about a foot and a half away from that awesomeness. I tried giving the kid on top of the pyramid my cane, but it didn't have the necessary reach. Then Cloud popped in with his sword and I got my cane back.

Tony Hellman was totally cool during the situation.

Not to mention, some kid, before the pyramid was formed, tried to show off his Spiderman routine and started scaling the wall of the building to get to the shirt. He got a fair ways up there before he realized he didn't have the reach to complete his goal.

That was a helluva way to start PAX.

Officer on
    edited July 2007
    IMG_0343.JPG

GIS was no help, but a quick forum search through old threads helped.

edit: unfortunately I can't find a picture of the police arriving, which I know exists because I saw it during/shortly after last PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2007
    That is a very long sword. The man wielding it does not look like the guy dressed as Cloud.

Hey Moe! If you keeping making 2.07 posts per day you will have 2021 posts on March 25th 2008. Don't forget to take a screenshot of your post count on that date.

I hope that helps. And scares you a tad.

mentok1982 on
    edited July 2007
    Somehow I doubt I'll have to wait that long, as I make more posts these days than I did when I first signed up here two years ago.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited July 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    Somehow I doubt I'll have to wait that long, as I make more posts these days than I did when I first signed up here two years ago.

Dammit Moe! I am obsessive compulsive geek, not a mind reader! I work with the data I have on hand sir.

Back on topic, I plan to go to Goodwill this week to look for my period clothes for my costume. I want to at least find the correct hat.

mentok1982 on
    edited July 2007
    Pyramid guy is not "Cloud" it's someone else. ;P Pyramid guy just has "Clouds" sword.

Spyder Z on
  • not_hanznot_hanz Under The Feathered HatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was the guy that got like the 3rd to last shirt you threw out (which by some strange cosmic circumstance I am wearing today). My friend standing right next to me though had a camera and got the whole thing on film:

IMG_0340.JPG
    the shirt

IMG_0343.JPG
    the rescue

IMG_0344.JPG
    the cop

IMG_0345.JPG
    the chewing out.

not_hanz on
  • JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Although I've never worn one of my costumes to PAX (they have Star Wars conventions for that), I always enjoy running into those people that dress up. I remember a big group of people dressed up like Lemmings were definitely a big hit. There were Zelda folks, a couple of Final Fantasy people and some great Soul Calibur costumes.

I didn't see anyone reacting negatively to people who chose to dress up. To those folks thinking about doing it...go for it. You're always going to encounter a lot more hositility on the internet than you will in real life.

JoshEEE on
    Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JoshEEE wrote: »
    Although I've never worn one of my costumes to PAX (they have Star Wars conventions for that), I always enjoy running into those people that dress up. I remember a big group of people dressed up like Lemmings were definitely a big hit. There were Zelda folks, a couple of Final Fantasy people and some great Soul Calibur costumes.

I didn't see anyone reacting negatively to people who chose to dress up. To those folks thinking about doing it...go for it. You're always going to encounter a lot more hositility on the internet than you will in real life.

Haha... hi Josh. :) Oh and I totally saw you log onto DS PictoChat as JoshEEE last year but you left the channel before I could send a "hi!"

P.S. I'm leaving my Star Wars costumes at home too... those Lemmings last year were definately funny though. It's always somewhat "cooler" to costume in groups, IMO.

padmeamanda on
This discussion has been closed.