As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Webcomics Thread: A tribute to our fans

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    ps2 had the perfect mix of great japanese and great western games

xbox is more great western games, and great japanese games just don't come over here as much anymore because the 360 is not successful over there and the ps3 is not as successful over here as over there. we still get a bunch, but not nearly as many of those little gems you could find all over the ps2.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I tell you what

we'll settle the PS3 vs Xbox360 argument with a battle to the death

our weapons? the controllers for our chosen platform

let's see that flimsy piece of crap stand up to this sturdy beast

I'll put in the battery pack for extra momentum on the swing

ueK2D.jpg

Just look at that primordial leviathan

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    is the Wii still considered the "winner" of the current console generation? I get a feeling Nintendo pocketed a lot of money, but managed to fritter away most of it without creating a strong and lasting userbase

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    wait wait EVERYONE SHUT UP POLLY GUO IS DOING A THING

nVHMC.png

#gawain's girlfriend and the green knight

• PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    The issue with trying to translate Wii sales from a casual demographic to future purchases is that the majority of those same casual customers don't understand or feel the need to upgrade to a newer model - I fancy the Wii U will probably have a disappointing first few weeks of release outside of Japan followed by a slow climb in sales as Nintendo shifts it's attention back to the core dedicated fanbase

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the wii is still a success but the 3ds has been failing

last I checked, anyway

is the Wii still considered the "winner" of the current console generation? I get a feeling Nintendo pocketed a lot of money, but managed to fritter away most of it without creating a strong and lasting userbase

JwWcB.png

1000% how I feel about the wii

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I tell you what

we'll settle the PS3 vs Xbox360 argument with a battle to the death

our weapons? the controllers for our chosen platform

let's see that flimsy piece of crap stand up to this sturdy beast

I'll put in the battery pack for extra momentum on the swing

ueK2D.jpg

Just look at that primordial leviathan

Dude I loved that controller unconditionally. Fit my freakishly long hands. Also caving the skulls of your enemies, and defeating elk. Both common problems.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The winner of the current console war

is Apple.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I am not a hardcore gamer, really

or at least, I haven't been for a while

but from my admittedly distant view it does seem a bit like Nintendo basically live off the power of nostalgia

Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Pokemon too I guess

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular

JwWcB.png

1000% how I feel about the wii

I wish my friends called me Shadow and/or Chug.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Enc wrote: »
    The winner of the current console war

is Apple.

FzFZj.jpg

10000% how I feel about apple

Brolo on
    The Wii was only a success in how many consoles it sold and only because Nintendo made a profit on every one of those consoles

but they sold fuck all for software other than wii fit and wii sports, which is where the actual meat of selling consoles comes from

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    some hardcore C/P going on in that old PA

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The wii is only a success because it made a hojillion dollars, other than being stupendously succesful it's actually a failure.

sig.gif
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All I know is right now, Wii is the console I want most because of the game library, though every system has at least a couple games I want.

Most of the games I want on 360 and PS3 are the downloadable titles.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I am not a hardcore gamer, really

or at least, I haven't been for a while

but from my admittedly distant view it does seem a bit like Nintendo basically live off the power of nostalgia

Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Pokemon too I guess

Well Sonic is Sega, and it's a pretty good example of how nostalgia isn't always enough, since most of the current and last gen Sonics were terrible

All the new Zeldas and Marios have been great though, and I think that consistent quality is just as helpful as the nostalgia factor

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited March 2012
    The wii is only a success because it made a hojillion dollars, other than being stupendously succesful it's actually a failure.

Yeah no, tons of hardware sales on a gaming console but no software sales don't make you stupendously successful. If 80 million people buy your console but 70%+ of those people only ever play the game your console was packaged with, it's not entirely a success, nevermind how much margin you made on each console sale.

The sheer volume of wii's sold meant that the platform has faired way better than it has any right to considering the poor actual game sales, but it's still second rate compared to the 360 in the US and the PS3 in Japan. This is a fact Nintendo is painfully aware of, which is why they've making the hardcore gamer more aware of WiiU than they tried to with the Wii.

It also doesn't help that despite the strong start, Wii's hardwale sales dropped dramatically as the years went on, compared to the relative stability of the PS3 and 360, and not even touching how well the DS sold.

Cilla Black on
    sonic generations is great though

So I have heard, 's the only reason I said most. Still need to play it.

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I hope with much intensity that Nintendo tanks Dreamcast style, so that it's forced to explore new revenue options like porting to PC. It would be nice if they did it without tanking, but odds are LOW.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I hope with much intensity that Nintendo tanks Dreamcast style, so that it's forced to explore new revenue options like porting to PC. It would be nice if they did it without tanking, but odds are LOW.

this is basically my feeling as well

I have similar hopes tripwire because I could give two craps about both Nintendo's recent console offering, but they make amazing video games. Zelda could use some work, but Mario and Kirby have remained consistently amazing.

yeah I like mario and zelda but the cold calculus of it is I don't care about them enough to buy a system

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the wii is still a success but the 3ds has been failing

last I checked, anyway

when did you check last?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/nintendo-3ds-sales-hit-4-5-million-units-in-first-year-outperfo/

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    yeah I like mario and zelda but the cold calculus of it is I don't care about them enough to buy a system

The original Gameboy is the last Nintendo system I purchased

No regrets

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    What's wrong with the 3DS? It's a DS with 3D and more powerful hardware and an analog stick. DS had a ton of great games for people like me, and given time, 3DS will have the same, (plus 3D). I very much would like to have one, because there will be lots of Harvest Moons (if they stop making them dumb) and Rune Factories and interesting puzzle games and RPGs and such.

Oh yeah there was a new Kirby too. Was it good?

rfilyaw wrote: »
    What's wrong with the 3DS? It's a DS with 3D and more powerful hardware and an analog stick. DS had a ton of great games for people like me, and given time, 3DS will have the same, (plus 3D). I very much would like to have one, because there will be lots of Harvest Moons (if they stop making them dumb) and Rune Factories and interesting puzzle games and RPGs and such.

this is the immortal dream of the nintendo owner

the imagined delight of the games they will play, one day

I mean shit I can imagine how cool rune factory will eventually be too! I don't need to hold a rune factory-less 3DS in my hands to do it, though

I can just imagine it while playing mass effect or skyrim or

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

3d is just a dumb gimmick, and while the more powerful hardware is obviously nice, I think that a lot of people don't want to spend more money on a system that hinges on a gimmick. Even if that isn't the case, where it's just a more powerful ds that also has 3d, the marketing and name of the device throws people.

I mean shit I can imagine how cool rune factory will eventually be too! I don't need to hold a rune factory-less 3DS in my hands to do it, though

I can just imagine it while playing mass effect or skyrim or

Yeah

the 3DS runs on optimism

I'm a late adopter, anyway, so I am quite happy to ignore the significance of launch titles. When I get a system, it already has a strong library

Given time the 3DS probably won't have a great library because portable gaming in the west is moving to phones and ipod touches. I predict this is the last generation of dedicated portable consoles for Sony, and the second to last for Nintendo. In the west, at least.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

this is the immortal dream of the nintendo owner

the imagined delight of the games they will play, one day

Yeah, only nintendo launches systems where all the good games come later.

I'm going to get an aneurysm from all the eye rolling I'm doing in here

sig.gif
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Problem with the Wii is that there are gems, GEMS out there that aren't published by Nintendo. But no one has ever heard of them because of poor advertising and loljapan.

If you have a Wii and have never played Muramasa: The Demon Blade, go buy it now.
    The problem with webcomics is that there are gems, GEMS out there that aren't published by comic syndicates. But no one has ever heard of them because of poor advertising and lolinternet.

If you have an internet and have never read webcomics, go read them now.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

thats the problem-its mainly a dsi with a gimmick that doesnt even work very well

why spend 250 on a new handheld when all the games you could want are already on the long-lasting ds you already own? and the pathetic showing of 3ds exclusive games hasnt improved much since launch

mensch-o-matic on
This discussion has been closed.