As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomics Thread: A tribute to our fans

19495969798100»

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    justin_notwinter.gif

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    What's wrong with the 3DS? It's a DS with 3D and more powerful hardware and an analog stick. DS had a ton of great games for people like me, and given time, 3DS will have the same, (plus 3D). I very much would like to have one, because there will be lots of Harvest Moons (if they stop making them dumb) and Rune Factories and interesting puzzle games and RPGs and such.

this is the immortal dream of the nintendo owner

the imagined delight of the games they will play, one day

Yeah, only nintendo launches systems where all the good games come later.

I'm going to get an aneurysm from all the eye rolling I'm doing in here

other people doing the same stupid thing does not make what they are doing not stupid

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Given time the 3DS probably won't have a great library because portable gaming in the west is moving to phones and ipod touches. I predict this is the last generation of dedicated portable consoles for Sony, and the second to last for Nintendo. In the west, at least.

phones and iDevices are only good for games with very limited controls, and are typically far more expensive. There is no way they'll ever replace dedicated handhelds in any region.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    What's wrong with the 3DS? It's a DS with 3D and more powerful hardware and an analog stick. DS had a ton of great games for people like me, and given time, 3DS will have the same, (plus 3D). I very much would like to have one, because there will be lots of Harvest Moons (if they stop making them dumb) and Rune Factories and interesting puzzle games and RPGs and such.

3d is just a dumb gimmick, and while the more powerful hardware is obviously nice, I think that a lot of people don't want to spend more money on a system that hinges on a gimmick. Even if that isn't the case, where it's just a more powerful ds that also has 3d, the marketing and name of the device throws people.

and honestly a huge portion, if not most, of the sales for the ds systems are from very casual game players. its not like any games run SLOWLY on the ds/i so what would a faster system even mean for them?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote: »

this is the immortal dream of the nintendo owner

the imagined delight of the games they will play, one day

Yeah, only nintendo launches systems where all the good games come later.

I'm going to get an aneurysm from all the eye rolling I'm doing in here

Well, with the wii at least, it never got all those good games. Some great ones to be sure, but way more shovelware than any other console by a staggering margin, without the breadth of AAA titles to compensate. Developers don't like waggle, they like software sales, and the wii never had those.

I like Nintendo just fine but they made bad choices with their current gen of consoles and it remains to be seen if a screencontroller can make up with the next gen.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Given time the 3DS probably won't have a great library because portable gaming in the west is moving to phones and ipod touches. I predict this is the last generation of dedicated portable consoles for Sony, and the second to last for Nintendo. In the west, at least.

phones and iDevices are only good for games with very limited controls, and are typically far more expensive. There is no way they'll ever replace dedicated handhelds in any region.

all-in-one devices are gradually replacing dedicated devices all through the tech industry

it's the way of things

• Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I see squirrels in the winter! They don't approach me though.
    Neither do the summer squirrels.
    Every day is just constant rejection by squirrels.

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular

3d is just a dumb gimmick, and while the more powerful hardware is obviously nice, I think that a lot of people don't want to spend more money on a system that hinges on a gimmick. Even if that isn't the case, where it's just a more powerful ds that also has 3d, the marketing and name of the device throws people.

and honestly a huge portion, if not most, of the sales for the ds systems are from very casual game players. its not like any games run SLOWLY on the ds/i so what would a faster system even mean for them?

Games don't run slowly on the DS because they're designed to be within the limitations of the device, like any console/handheld. There are some amazing looking games on the 3DS, not the least of which is that new Resident Evil game which is fully polygonal. Like with any new generation, nicer looking games will appear.

• Options

not to mention that phones and phone games have been popular in japan since long before the iphone, so if anything the death of handhelds would start there. not that there really is a chance of it happening within the next decade anyway considering that a smartphone is smaller, has way less battery life and too many alternative uses to be a replacement for dedicated gaming devices

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    .Tripwire. wrote: »
    I hope with much intensity that Nintendo tanks Dreamcast style, so that it's forced to explore new revenue options like porting to PC. It would be nice if they did it without tanking, but odds are LOW.

prob not gonna happen
    Nintendo sits on a mountain of cash to make sure it doesn't

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The squirrel comic amuses me because for the last couple years winter for my folks has been "Figure out how to keep the damn squirrels out of the attic" season. No problem with them 3/4 of the year but when it's cold out they start getting in.

They ate my dad's shorts. Literally.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Somewhere like four years ago, all of our squirrels disappeared on our mountain. Really strange. So did the lightning bugs.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

Games don't run slowly on the DS because they're designed to be within the limitations of the device, like any console/handheld. There are some amazing looking games on the 3DS, not the least of which is that new Resident Evil game which is fully polygonal. Like with any new generation, nicer looking games will appear.

the question is whether such small changes at such a high price will attract customers within a reasonable timeframe

• Options
    is your dad

bart simpson

• Options

Phones cost about as much or less than a new 3DS if you buy them on contract, idevices are more expensive but buying that for your kids has the cost made up extremely quick in 99 cent or free games versus 40 dollar ones. And let's be honest here, as great as the DS was for pretty much everyone, handheld consoles have always sold primarily to kids. There is certainly money to be made in older people, especially in cities where commutes via public transportation are more common, but not as much.

Outside of cities, the lion's share of you audience who aren't kids would be playing handhelds at home, and when you're at home it's generally preferable for adults with disposable income to be playing games on the big TV. If you're just out and about on errands and have a free moment to play, the next round of Words with Friends is much easier to deal with for 2 minutes than the next 2 boxes of text in a handheld RPG.

Dedicated handheld gaming is on its way out.

• Options
    edited March 2012

the question is whether such small changes at such a high price will attract customers within a reasonable timeframe

Here's the thing. As soon as the 3DS came out, many, if not most of the third-party developers put the kibosh on DS development and shifted to 3DS (if not simply converting the DS stuff) for many reasons, not the least of which is reduced limitations on the new system. I think it's not the consumer who will accept the new hardware willingly, but the developer. The consumer will be forced to follow when DS production is greatly decreased. I say this because Rune Factory 4 is coming to 3DS, so I will be forced to migrate.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I mean, they had the DS, then the DS Lite, then the DS Lite XL. I ended up with all three over time, mostly due to accidents with the other machines, but in the end I still only have maybe 8 titles I would play and replay, with the rest not seeming very interesting. I'm sure I'll get a 3DS one day when a game that interests me enough to buy it comes out, but I haven't seen that happen yet.

My Wii gets used for Wii Fit and nothing else, really. Before Wii Fit, It gathered dust outside of the occasional play of Secret of Mana on the virtual console. There just wasn't much to do and very few games worth buying. Everything seemed geared towards 8 year old party games. Not even 8 year old solo games. All of the interesting offerings were within the first year, it seemed, then everything just tapered off.

The Wii was a huge success in breaking into a new audience, but I doubt they will replicate it again with the same business model, especially with Microsoft and Sony both keeping a finger in that money pot with their own offerings. I really do expect Apple to steadily push Nintendo into a corner as time goes on, which is sad because I think Nintendo could make a better product long term.

/rant over

Enc on
  • Options
    i guess if youre assuming that all children will strictly be casual gamers with no interest in games like mario kart, most action rpgs or most of the nintendo library, period

i dunno, it just seems the same as saying that now that there is steam no one will buy gaming consoles any more

• Options
    only you would call that a rant, Enc

I'm reminded of The Onion's articles on Tim Duncan

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Tam wrote: »

I enjoy some games, but not others.

I'm sorry for that outburst.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote: »

I am a man of moderate temperament with opinions that occasionally, but not always, verge into the shallow-end-steps of the extreme pool.

I apologize for my rashness. There is nothing, per se, wrong with going into that pool further.

• Options

Here's the thing. As soon as the 3DS came out, many, if not most of the third-party developers put the kibosh on DS development and shifted to 3DS (if not simply converting the DS stuff) for many reasons, not the least of which is reduced limitations on the new system. I think it's not the consumer who will accept the new hardware willingly, but the developer. The consumer will be forced to follow when DS production is greatly decreased. I say this because Rune Factory 4 is coming to 3DS, so I will be forced to migrate.

that makes sense. i still think that, based on the output the 3ds has now, sales will be really low for a really long time, even with a lack of new ds games, but i guess that remains to be seen

• Options
    Time will tell!

It knows more than any of us ever will.

• Options
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/tim-duncan-releases-decade-worth-of-pentup-emotion,2069/

The Onion is one of the funniest things that has ever existed

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

it already has, though. did you read the link I posted?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/nintendo-3ds-sales-hit-4-5-million-units-in-first-year-outperfo/

• Options
    edited March 2012

it already has, though. did you read the link I posted?

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/nintendo-3ds-sales-hit-4-5-million-units-in-first-year-outperfo/

And yet Nintendo was terrified enough to almost immediately drop the price 90 dollars to grab as many customers as possible. The sales are extremely strong, yes, but what made the DS so incredibly amazing hugely successful wasn't how well it did its first year, but how the quality of the game selection stayed absolutely consistent for pretty much the life of the hardware. Also, of course, helped by the various iterations Nintendo made compelling enough for people to buy and the margin Nintendo made from every DS sale.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    BerkBerk THE BUDGIE SMUGGLER Registered User regular
    if i manage to get this animation done Ill put it on youtube but does wordpress let you post flash movies?
    I have no idea about this stuff

sig-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.