As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New batman Thread *Big Spoiler

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man why does everyone immediately go to Showtime or HBO for shows

Green Arrow isn't goddamn Game of Thrones, a normal cable network or even one of the big basic networks could do it fine

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    heck, a broadcast network like NBC or Fox could do a pretty good show based on Peter David's X-Factor, I think

X-Factor could definitely hold a show. It is just a superpowered private detective agency.

The show I am amazed hasn't been done yet is Daredevil since Fox has the rights and it is pretty much Law and Order+Batman

CYpGAPn.png
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I have actually been watching a lot of Supernatural recently on Netflix and I love it.

Why can't the people behind that show do a superhero show. Make it about pursuing super-villains or something, I don't care.

I just want more of them doing good stuff.
    Eric Kripke is actually working on a Deadman show!

It hasn't been heard from in quite a while so it might be scrapped

but still!

CYpGAPn.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I liked The Cape. It got shut down pretty hard, though.

I was pretty sad about that.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i liked Reaper until Sock got really creepy

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Green Arrow isn't goddamn Game of Thrones, a normal cable network or even one of the big basic networks could do it fine

The two networks have a pretty solid track record and honestly the main cable networks do not (especially for a superhero property).

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I mean I have almost no faith in the main cable networks to do any superhero show really well for an extended period.

If I had to stay within the confines of "cable TV" I'd go towards FX.

USA could probably do one

and man, was I the only person who watched Alphas on "Syfy"? that was a pretty good little show.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh my god
    I HAVE YOUR BACK

WE HAVE CONTROL
    WE KEEP YOU SAFE
    WE ARE YOUR HOPE

USA could probably do one

and man, was I the only person who watched Alphas on "Syfy"? that was a pretty good little show.

USA would probably do best with a non-super powered hero. Someone like the Green Arrow, Punisher, ect would do well as a "crime" show.

Like they should just do a The Question show with Jeffrey Donovan.

The two networks have a pretty solid track record and honestly the main cable networks do not (especially for a superhero property).
    To be fair lets look at live action superhero adaptations that got past "hey lets make a pilot"

Birds of Prey(2002)
    The Flash(1990)
    Human Target(2010)
    Smallville(2001)
    Wonder Woman(1979)
    Lois and Clark(1993)
    The Incredible Hulk(1978)

not counting stuff like Heroes or Alphas that aren't adaptations or the weird little short lived shows from decades ago like Superboy and whatnot

There aren't very many at all and none of them really tried anything new with the format except Incredible Hulk and Human Target(which isn't really a superhero show but was still fun)

it ain't much to condemn a whole genre by, especially when shit like Heroes for Hire or Gotham Central would be perfect for television

CYpGAPn.png

To be fair lets look at live action superhero adaptations that got past "hey lets make a pilot"

Birds of Prey(2002)
    The Flash(1990)
    Human Target(2010)
    Smallville(2001)
    Wonder Woman(1979)
    Lois and Clark(1993)
    The Incredible Hulk(1978)

not counting stuff like Heroes or Alphas that aren't adaptations or the weird little short lived shows from decades ago like Superboy and whatnot

There aren't very many at all and none of them really tried anything new with the format except Incredible Hulk and Human Target(which isn't really a superhero show but was still fun)

it ain't much to condemn a whole genre by, especially when shit like Heroes for Hire or Gotham Central would be perfect for television

I think my main concern would be that no matter how good the first season is the second & further seasons would be awful.

Heroes and Human Target suffered from this, and Smallville had a couple good seasons early on but than entered its "dark age."

Although to be fair, I did love Louis & Clark but that was really just a dressed up Romantic-Comedy featuring Superman.

I'd agree that a property like Gotham Central would be awesome.

But I think the main cable networks would fuck it over so much. It'd be better served by something like FX, USA, Showtime or HBO.

Yeah but that is with a lot of tv shows, it isn't a problem exclusively with superhero shows

CYpGAPn.png
    Basically you are trying to sell me on the main cable networks which I have almost no faith in.

I simply don't trust them.

who are these "main cable networks"

Oh No!

OH NO!!!!!!!

I just think it is silly everyone's gut reaction to something they like being a TV show is SHOWTIME/HBO

even if it doesn't fit at all

those networks have proven they want their content to be adult-minded. Murder, sex, cursing. Hell, even their comedic shows are super raunchy.

Green Arrow at his darkest is nowhere near an HBO show

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    What ever happened to that Wonder Woman show that the Ally McBeal guy was doing?

Did it ever air?

Maximum wrote: »
    What ever happened to that Wonder Woman show that the Ally McBeal guy was doing?

Did it ever air?
    Got cancelled before the pilot aired due to extreme negative response from pretty much everyone

CYpGAPn.png
    Maximum wrote: »

Did it ever air?

haha, nope

the pilot's somewhere out there on the internet, though

Dang.

it wasn't even just the fans saying it was terrible

every major entertainment article I read about it was surprisingly negative and the review of the pilot was hilariously bad

CYpGAPn.png
    who are these "main cable networks"

The big four are ABC, NBC, CBS, & FOX with CW being a small entity.

None of those are cable networks, I believe

CYpGAPn.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Man, a Green Arrow TV show?

Ehh.....
    I think a Green Arrow TV show itself is a fine idea

dude is a pretty street level hero that can easily be done on TV

but it is on the WB and they have made one good genre show, and this is being created by a bunch of Smallville dudes

I have watched every episode of Smallville! It has some ups and downs, but there were some good episodes.

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The Green Arrow on Smallville didn't use nearly enough trick arrows.

those are broadcast networks, dude

Cable Networks are FX, USA, TNT, TBS and others

CYpGAPn.png
    I was going to chime in saying I'd love to see The Dark Tower adapted for an HBO series, checked their wiki page and it looks like their already working on it.

So, yay!

I will re-post as to save time:
    Oh No!

OH NO!!!!!!!

I will hold strong though in my lack of faith.

I have none, I am a void of trust & hope.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    "cable network" is a misnomer. There's "network" stations, and "cable" stations, and then "premium" stations which are a subset of cable stations.

Basically Zonugal is saying that he doesn't trust "network" stations to not ruin the show. Cable stations (USA, TBS, FX) have had some good luck in the recent past with their shows (Burn Notice, The Shield, Rescue Me, Psych), but the networks are just flailing when it comes to quality stuff like that anymore.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    @Tox, I don't know if I have recently told you this.

But you are my bro.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just think it is silly everyone's gut reaction to something they like being a TV show is SHOWTIME/HBO

even if it doesn't fit at all

those networks have proven they want their content to be adult-minded. Murder, sex, cursing. Hell, even their comedic shows are super raunchy.

Green Arrow at his darkest is nowhere near an HBO show

I think people start throwing HBO and Showtime around because those networks have gigantic stacks of cash to spend and people want to see their TV adaptation done with lots of available resources

• SolarSolar Registered User regular

Ehh.....

but it is on the WB and they have made one good genre show, and this is being created by a bunch of Smallville dudes

Yeah so

cool idea

terrible execution

that is my prediction

but I live in hope!

JoeUser wrote: »

Ehh.....

I have watched every episode of Smallville! It has some ups and downs, but there were some good episodes.

I just finished season 1 and am now in the beginning of season 2.

I love Dean, I love him so much more than Sam.

Also, fuck that Clown episode. I can handle ghosts and demons, but clowns?

No....

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey, I have all of The Flash on DVD. Mark Hamill as the Prankster was great!

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
This discussion has been closed.