As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ah did naht hit her! Ah did naht! Oh, hai [Chat]!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Someone give me 85 grand and a time machine.

Well I have the time machine...

son.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    it's too bad none of you fuckers live in my city, i have so much expensive booze i would like to share

Which city is that? Maybe I do.

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

one of the worst dressed in the continent by most fashion mag assessments though

I'm actually going to be in Ottawa with a friend, visiting a couple other friends, the weekend after Easter.

well, if you like bourbon, let me tell you

you got an opportunity

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

son.
    You're old enough that I don't think you'd actually need a time machine for that to be the case. :bz

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    At my last job, timesheets represented about 10-15% of my daily workload, just due to the level of detail my boss demanded.

Of course, it was impossible to do this within the allotted time, so you had to make a choice: put in unpaid overtime (illegally) to get it done, or just don't get it done and get yelled at.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    dad would have had more impact

though far less believable

fuck gendered marketing
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »

son.
    You're old enough that I don't think you'd actually need a time machine for that to be the case. :bz

Damn it I'm only 29

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    At my last job, timesheets represented about 10-15% of my daily workload, just due to the level of detail my boss demanded.

Of course, it was impossible to do this within the allotted time, so you had to make a choice: put in unpaid overtime (illegally) to get it done, or just don't get it done and get yelled at.

When you spend a good chunk of your man hours tracking how your man hours are spent, something is wrong.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    it's too bad none of you fuckers live in my city, i have so much expensive booze i would like to share

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

one of the worst dressed in the continent by most fashion mag assessments though

I'm actually going to be in Ottawa with a friend, visiting a couple other friends, the weekend after Easter.

you got an opportunity

I would love to try out bourbon--especially with you. I am often jealous of your posts in the Alcohol thread.

(I'll shoot you a PM or something closer to the date so I know my "itinerary". haha)

you couldn't put down hours spent filling out timesheets on the timesheets?

fuck gendered marketing
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "We will devote most of our resources to tracking productivity until productivity improves"

Deebaser on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

The idea was that you'd fill out your timesheet little by little as you work, and that way you'd just 'bake in' that time into each project.

That was a retarded idea and nobody ever did it but it didn't stop them from demanding it week after week after week :rotate:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    when i was working as a PM at a place i suggested in a meeting that we put in a "filling out timesheets" bucket in our overly-complicated task tracking system.

guess what! i got one. and I put so much time into that bucket.

919UOwT.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    What is this I don't even.

Flash Duel seems like it's super random. Like, there was no possible way to win that first round because I could not get an attack off against an opponent with better cards.

I disagree, there were a lot of different ways you could have played that match. That's all I can really say given that I have knowledge of all the cards though.

i'm sure there was a way i could have done better, but it really seems like whoever gets the first dashing strike has an enormous advantage and that really depends who gets the high cards first, or the cards which grant them anti-dashing strike defenses.

like, Rook has that defensive ability, but when you get DS'd with 4s and 5s, there's not much you can do, and there's no way to outmaneuver someone who just has higher cards for dashes. By contrast, if Rook has a pair of 5s, it's almost impossible to beat him, because he will block your dashing strike and move in with his super dangerous close-range powers.

this isn't just re: my own game, it's about the others as well.

it's still a pretty fascinating mechanic for such a brief game, but luck plays an enormous role, I think, since it grants starkly different abilities to each player with each hand.

Evil Multifarious on
    BTW, that place is out of business now.

I wonder why!

The idea was that you'd fill out your timesheet little by little as you work, and that way you'd just 'bake in' that time into each project.

That was a retarded idea and nobody ever did it but it didn't stop them from demanding it week after week after week :rotate:

bake in?

wtf?

I can only assume that was what management was doing when they came up with that policy

fuck gendered marketing

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

you got an opportunity

I would love to try out bourbon--especially with you. I am often jealous of your posts in the Alcohol thread.

(I'll shoot you a PM or something closer to the date so I know my "itinerary". haha)

have you never had bourbon before? any whiskey is pretty powerful stuff if you're not a drinker.

i am constantly derided for having deliberately acclimated myself to whiskey and alcohol instead of it being "natural," like my taste is artificial or fake.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Flash Duel seems like it's super random. Like, there was no possible way to win that first round because I could not get an attack off against an opponent with better cards.

I disagree, there were a lot of different ways you could have played that match. That's all I can really say given that I have knowledge of all the cards though.

i'm sure there was a way i could have done better, but it really seems like whoever gets the first dashing strike has an enormous advantage and that really depends who gets the high cards first, or the cards which grant them anti-dashing strike defenses.

like, Rook has that defensive ability, but when you get DS'd with 4s and 5s, there's not much you can do, and there's no way to outmaneuver someone who just has higher cards for dashes. By contrast, if Rook has a pair of 5s, it's almost impossible to beat him, because he will block your dashing strike and move in with his super dangerous close-range powers.

it's still a pretty fascinating mechanic for such a brief game, but luck plays an enormous role, I think, since it grants starkly different abilities to each player with each hand.

I still disagree with your assessment. Everyone so far has been playing the game at a rather sub-optimal level, which isn't surprising given that it is everyone's first game.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Whiskey is the best liquid.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

you got an opportunity

Man, I want to have expensive bourbon toooooooooooo! :cry:

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

you got an opportunity

have you never had bourbon before? any whiskey is pretty powerful stuff if you're not a drinker.

i am constantly derided for having deliberately acclimated myself to whiskey and alcohol instead of it being "natural," like my taste is artificial or fake.

I don't understand what that means

why would someone deride you for that

fuck gendered marketing

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

you got an opportunity

I haven't knowingly had bourbon, but I love whiskey. It's my go-to alcohol. I'm definitely a drinker, I just haven't gotten around to trying the bourbons.

I still disagree with your assessment. Everyone so far has been playing the game at a rather sub-optimal level, which isn't surprising given that it is everyone's first game.

: (

fuck gendered marketing
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    2pq110y.gif

"Answering the phone in front of my crush"

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

I don't understand what that means

why would someone deride you for that
    I also do not understand. Seems silly to me.

Also, @Thanatos - Neener neener!

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    My job also expects things to be documented as they're done.

lol.

I do try to at least wrap it up the next day, though. And we have a general 'documentation/answering phone calls that don't generate a ticket/playing with the office RC helicopter' item to put time against, which gets used liberally.

: (

<3

Most of you are doing a heck of a lot better than I did in my first game.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Whiskey is the best liquid.

funk is a pretty good kind of liquid

919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ok so saturday march 31st at 7:45 am (:() is my 'student registration event'

it's supposed to be three hours long and a group event

le sigh

I DISAGREE WITH YOUR ASSESSMENT

BTW, that place is out of business now.

I wonder why!

insufficient time tracking?

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    i've retired to pajamas and sperrys

this must be what it's like being white trash in connecticut

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

OH SNAP

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

you got an opportunity

I haven't knowingly had bourbon, but I love whiskey. It's my go-to alcohol. I'm definitely a drinker, I just haven't gotten around to trying the bourbons.

oh, well then you're fine. what do you drink? scotch? rye? canadian (the horror)?

Organichu wrote: »
    ok so saturday march 31st at 7:45 am (:() is my 'student registration event'

it's supposed to be three hours long and a group event

le sigh

boo hoo I have to get educated and make my life better boohoo

Thanatos wrote: »

I mean.

Maybe I could.

ottawa, ontario, canada

not a bad city, really

you got an opportunity

Man, I want to have expensive bourbon toooooooooooo! :cry:

than i would gladly drink with you if you came to canada

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    hey so I know I missed this convo about the turtles, but fuck Hollywood

seriously, just another thing to add to the list of horribleness

OH SNAP

here is the litmus test:

did I lose?

if yes, then your game is bullshit.

• japanjapan Registered User regular

We are being "capacity planned" right now.

This means that you have to use the world's creakiest macro-based excel sheet to keep track of everything you're doing at any given moment.

It is so poorly put together that it slows anyone's rate of work to a crawl (in a whole variety of ways), and doesn't account for the fact that you may be doing more than one thing at once, which means we have been told not to do more than one thing at once, even though we would usually and what is supposedly being measured is the average duration of typical tasks.

It is not clear how the data this thing produces is supposed to relate to the actual rates at which people are able to perform the tasks in question.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

We are being "capacity planned" right now.

This means that you have to use the world's creakiest macro-based excel sheet to keep track of everything you're doing at any given moment.

It is so poorly put together that it slows anyone's rate of work to a crawl (in a whole variety of ways), and doesn't account for the fact that you may be doing more than one thing at once, which means we have been told not to do more than one thing at once, even though we would usually and what is supposedly being measured is the average duration of typical tasks.

It is not clear how the data this thing produces is supposed to relate to the actual rates at which people are able to perform the tasks in question.

You grow up reading Dilbert comics and think "it's funny because it's absurd".

Then you find out it is actually literally true.

This discussion has been closed.