As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Really, guys? We're going to be talking about someone being dumb for not understanding things like speed?

Seriously, the issue is that people who are way dumber than her vote.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I DON'T LIKE THAT HOO-SAYIN

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    help me settle a disagreement with my friend

he and i come from differing backgrounds (he is generally surrounded by people who are more educated than average, i'm generally surrounded by people who are less educated than average)

he thinks that the average american adult- let's say 21-65, excepting cases of neurodegenerative diseases or whatever- could comfortably describe exponentiation properties if you refreshed them on the language. which is to say,

'a^b^c = a^(b*c)... true or false?' and if you explained that in plain english they'd be able to reach into their memory banks and say 'yeah that's right'

i think a tiny portion of the population- maybe 5-10%- would know that

he thinks >50% would know it

let me rub this in his face

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Man what the fuck Obama? Allowing native americans to slaughter two bald eagles for their heathen rituals? You disgust me!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    should i watch game of thrones again

or boardwalk empire for the first time

or finish lotr #3 i started last night when i was drunk

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I've been going through the old episodes of The Simpsons in order lately.

Up to the middle of season 3. Since I haven't had cable or broadcast TV in so long (and before that was in school) I haven't seen most of these in reruns and this is the first I've seen them since they aired.

The show has held up remarkably well. Season 1 was rather flat (especially that initial christmas special) but not actively bad. And the show keeps slowly improving as it goes.

What's especially weird is that when I think of the simpsons now what comes to mind is random, totally unbelievable plotlines strung together for a cheap laugh (like what Family Guy tries to be and fails). But these old episodes are almost more dramas at times at the characters are pretty down to earth.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    My New York State flag arrived today, and it got me thinking.

Who the fuck would give a sword to a blind woman? Why would you do that? Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

Any argument that hinges on X% of the population is automatically outside the realm of possible experience

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Really, guys? We're going to be talking about someone being dumb for not understanding things like speed?

Yup.

My New York State flag arrived today, and it got me thinking.

Who the fuck would give a sword to a blind woman? Why would you do that? Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

:?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    chu he is 300% rong

obF2Wuw.png
    Organichu wrote: »

he and i come from differing backgrounds (he is generally surrounded by people who are more educated than average, i'm generally surrounded by people who are less educated than average)

he thinks that the average american adult- let's say 21-65, excepting cases of neurodegenerative diseases or whatever- could comfortably describe exponentiation properties if you refreshed them on the language. which is to say,

'a^b^c = a^(b*c)... true or false?' and if you explained that in plain english they'd be able to reach into their memory banks and say 'yeah that's right'

I took two semesters of college calc, got a 5 on the AP in high school... and honestly, even though I still remember some of it, I would have said that that is false. I still don't understand why it would be true... because I would think that 2^2^3 would be 2^8, whereas 2^(2*3) would be 2^6.

edited March 2012
    Kagera wrote: »
    Man what the fuck Obama? Allowing native americans to slaughter two bald eagles for their heathen rituals? You disgust me!

those things have made a huge comback in the last couple decades. Pretty soon they're gonna be vermin.

You can watch em from my dads house. They are damn impressive birds (something with a 7 foot wingspan swooping over your head is pretty unnerving) but also lazy, mean buggers. They generally sit in the trees on the cliff watching smaller raptors (like osprey) fishing then go and steal it when they catch something. They'll even drop a fish they already have to go steal one from another bird.

edit: what's especially weird is even the biggest females only weigh like 12 pounds. So that massive 7 foot bird weighs the same as a big housecat.

Even with their cracked out bird-metabolism they don't actually have to eat all that much. Spend most of the day lazing about.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

Imagine if she were driving the bus instead of Bullock. Short film.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    I didn't watch the video, but I assure you she's right and you're all being meanie poop heads.

(now that I've defended her, she's obligated to find me and sleep with me, right?)

http://youtu.be/Qhm7-LEBznk

Holy shit!

PSN: Honkalot

I took two semesters of college calc, got a 5 on the AP in high school... and honestly, even though I still remember some of it, I would have said that that is false. I still don't understand why it would be true... because I would think that 2^2^3 would be 2^8, whereas 2^(2*3) would be 2^6.

What?

How does 2*(2^3) simplify to 2^6?

Drez wrote: »

Imagine if she were driving the bus instead of Bullock. Short film.

Oh, this made me laugh.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Fuck no.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    think about how many neckbeards here don't understand the opposite sex. i think that's a far more intrinsic skill than calculating travel times!

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

those things have made a huge comback in the last couple decades. Pretty soon they're gonna be vermin.

You can watch em from my dads house. They are damn impressive birds (something with a 7 foot wingspan swooping over your head is pretty unnerving) but also lazy, mean buggers. They generally sit in the trees on the cliff watching smaller raptors (like osprey) fishing then go and steal it when they catch something. They'll even drop a fish they already have to go steal one from another bird.

Honestly, I don't really mind. I just can't wait until this is made a 'thing' by the usual suspects.

Obama's Unpatriotic Poaching!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    If you're talking adult Americans, I'd be surprised if half of them could multiply or divide without a calculator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spofIp_xYm0&feature=related

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The only one who can even come close to Commander Shepard

250px-Shephard2.jpg

...is Corporal Shepard.

WAIT! Maybe they're even the same dude!

RT800 on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Exponentiation doesn't go top-down, though. Also, I'd say probably 50% of people would get it right simply by guessing, Chu.

What?

Are you just trying to confuse me, or are you genuinely misreading or did I mistype that?

What?

Are you just trying to confuse me, or are you genuinely misreading or did I mistype that?

Hopefully the third option.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Isn't that above high school math? And if so how would >50% be able to know it? I have no idea but I'll guess maybe 20% ever attend above high school education.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

Nah, 2^2^3 as in (2^2)^3, not 2^(2^3).

(2^2)^3 = 4^3 = 64 = 2^6

Oh I see.

Honk wrote: »

Isn't that above high school math? And if so how would >50% be able to know it? I have no idea but I'll guess maybe 20% ever attend above high school education.

that's pre-algebra. So it should be 4th or 5th grade and probably is middle school math.

In practice that is probably higher math than the majority of people bother to learn though.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Just link them to this conversation, Organichu, and we're not even retarded.

edited March 2012

What?

Well,

2*(2^3) = 2*8 = 16
    2^6=64

So, 16 simplifies to 64.

_J_ on
    acfa11124b1bd069678048a3358eabba.png

"What is 2^2^3?" is what I call "cunty construction" in math exam terms.

Exponentiation doesn't go top-down, though. Also, I'd say probably 50% of people would get it right simply by guessing, Chu.
    Uh... Actually, it does. And Chu specifically said "know," not "guess."

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    According to wikipedia, about 57 percent of Americans have some college experience and 40 percent have an associate's or bachelor's degree.

Couscous wrote: »
    According to wikipedia, about 57 percent of Americans have some college experience and 40 percent have an associate's or bachelor's degree.

How many take more than college algebra, and remember it.

I really need to relearn math.

I think this (and the speed video) are missing the point though. It doesn't matter if someone couldn't remember that (or was never taught it) so much as their attitude to not knowing the information and learning in general.

Someone not knowing something = fine
    Someone taking pride in not knowing something, or having the attitude that knowing something is suspect or not desirable = a serious problem with that person

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Sarksus wrote: »

How many take more than college algebra, and remember it.

Almost nobody except jobs that require it?

I really need to relearn math.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.