As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I took two semesters of college calc, got a 5 on the AP in high school... and honestly, even though I still remember some of it, I would have said that that is false. I still don't understand why it would be true... because I would think that 2^2^3 would be 2^8, whereas 2^(2*3) would be 2^6.

Nah, 2^2^3 as in (2^2)^3, not 2^(2^3).

(2^2)^3 = 4^3 = 64 = 2^6
    Oh. Yeah, I would have had to think about that.

Chu, you totally have this one right. Most people aren't going to remember what they learned in high school, if they even took math that far. Most people don't use that stuff, so they don't remember it. Though, I'd probably peg it at around 15-20%, but definitely closer to 10% than 50%.

Thanatos on
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    sometimes I forget how much higher the discourse is on D&D

on this production forum I post on, there is a thread that whose title is

"Yo anyone know deadmau5's email?"

body:

I got some stuff I think he'll like and i think we should work together

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    help me settle a disagreement with my friend

he and i come from differing backgrounds (he is generally surrounded by people who are more educated than average, i'm generally surrounded by people who are less educated than average)

he thinks that the average american adult- let's say 21-65, excepting cases of neurodegenerative diseases or whatever- could comfortably describe exponentiation properties if you refreshed them on the language. which is to say,

'a^b^c = a^(b*c)... true or false?' and if you explained that in plain english they'd be able to reach into their memory banks and say 'yeah that's right'

i think a tiny portion of the population- maybe 5-10%- would know that

he thinks >50% would know it

let me rub this in his face

I have know idea if that's true or not and I have a CS degree.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    And that's precisely why those commie Chinese are beating us!

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Unless you perform those operations on a daily basis, why would you remember them?

emnmnme wrote: »
    Because they know how to use parentheses in order to eliminate confusion?

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

they're not "beating us" they are coming here and making our economy work (at least to the extent it does).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    it is a^(b^c), right, not (a^b)^c

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Podly wrote: »

body:

Boobs.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    because if you understood it properly you would remember that stuff and it would seem obvious

its just that most people never actually "understood" maths, they just learned it well enough to do it

which is not quite the same thing

obF2Wuw.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Because they know how to use parentheses in order to eliminate confusion?
    (that's what you think)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    yes! i was correct and an vindicated! i am invincible!

boris20.jpg

*points at friend*

IN YOUR FACE, N***A
    FUCK
    YOUR
    COUCH
    FUCK YOUR COUCH
    IN YOUR FACE

RT800 wrote: »
    Unless you perform those operations on a daily basis, why would you remember them?

Every morning I forget everything I didn't remember from the previous day.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

body:

ahahahaha

rRwz9.gif
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    chu, I think your cat jumped on the keyboard while you were writing most of your post.

Organichu wrote: »
    IN YOUR FACE, N***A
    FUCK
    YOUR
    COUCH
    FUCK YOUR COUCH
    IN YOUR FACE

Fuck your couch, indeed.

Though, Chu, I think the real issue here is that you shouldn't be arguing with your betters.

Now, take the man's slippers, and get him a cup of tea, chop-chop.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

body:

They should try Twitter first.

Though, Chu, I think the real issue here is that you shouldn't be arguing with your betters.

Now, take the man's slippers, and get him a cup of tea, chop-chop.

yessir, massa

• GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Annnnd I think I've just witnessed the strangest rendition of What's Love Got To Do With It of all time.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    Gosling wrote: »
    Annnnd I think I've just witnessed the strangest rendition of What's Love Got To Do With It of all time.

did you see that one they did on In Living Color back in the day?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dicks bro

obF2Wuw.png
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »

did you see that one they did on In Living Color back in the day?

No. The one that just happened on The Voice. Some lady has this weird semi-French/Greek/Swedish/some sort of heavily accented European-ish babytalk singing voice. Also, she has a pompadour thing going on.

And she just advanced in the competition, somehow.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    (Warning: contains a few spoilers from the first two games, nothing from the third, though)

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56l8dWqgags

who is the dude in the video?

fuck gendered marketing
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    You know the last time I used exponents? The last time I took a math class is when. That's a while ago so excuse me if I don't have it memorized anymore.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    This lady. This person was just singing What's Love Got To Do With It against some two-man rock band. And won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-lTgwVPrLo

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    because if you understood it properly you would remember that stuff and it would seem obvious

its just that most people never actually "understood" maths, they just learned it well enough to do it

which is not quite the same thing

Yeah, but at what point do you throw up your hands and say that because they didn't learn it, they suck at it?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    You know the last time I used exponents? The last time I took a math class is when. That's a while ago so excuse me if I don't have it memorized anymore.

You're the worst person in the world.

Lh96QHG.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I doubt the average American could even name what they are.

Exponents.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular

I doubt the average American could even name what they are.

Exponents.

Sure they can. They're that team from Canada.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    i dont think many people "suck" at maths in anything other than a functional sense

i think, quite understandably, most people struggle to be interested in what is an extremely dry subject

obF2Wuw.png
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Thing is, if you knew what exponents mean, really understood, chu's property would instantly make sense and require no memorization. This is fundamental problem with the way math is both taught and learned.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    i don't think anyone's trying to be snooty about whether or not people remember exponent rules.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    math isn't dry

your mom is dry

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin

Thing is, if you knew what exponents mean, really understood, chu's property would instantly make sense and require no memorization. This is fundamental problem with the way math is both taught and learned.

ok socrates

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I was shit in Algebra, but in Geometry and Chemistry I rocked the house.

I have a real hard time giving a shit about math unless I can see its practicality.

Lh96QHG.png
    Again, the knowing or not know of what exponents are and their rules is not really important. What is important is ones attitude to learning and the knowing / not knowing of information.

Taking pride in ignorance, looking on knowledge with suspicion and generally choosing not to continue learning throughout ones life (the subjects of learning doesn't matter) are the things which damn a person.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    I am eating a chunk of brownie with a multi coloured marshmellow topping.

I should not be eating this.

brb getting more.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    applied math is for uggos

high theory, conceptual stuff is the only stuff i really liked

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
This discussion has been closed.