As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    This lady. This person was just singing What's Love Got To Do With It against some two-man rock band. And won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-lTgwVPrLo

ooooh!

:^:

her voice reminds me of Karin Dreijer Andersson crossed with Lily Allen but more pop-y

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    You know the last time I used exponents? The last time I took a math class is when. That's a while ago so excuse me if I don't have it memorized anymore.

I doubt the average American could even name what they are.

Exponents.

what do you mean

exponents are the opposite of proponents

they are also people that were once but are no longer your opponent

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    i dont think many people "suck" at maths in anything other than a functional sense

i think, quite understandably, most people struggle to be interested in what is an extremely dry subject

I think this attitude doesn't help anyone. I understand the need to counteract the tendency of people to give up on the subject but to say that people can't suck at it, when we recognize that people can suck at just about anything else, is disingenuous at best.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Isn't that above high school math? And if so how would >50% be able to know it? I have no idea but I'll guess maybe 20% ever attend above high school education.
    According to wikipedia, about 57 percent of Americans have some college experience and 40 percent have an associate's or bachelor's degree.

Oh shit!

Then please explain how rednecks get so much media presence.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    there are a few people who are genuinely shit at it (dyscalculia or whatever) but any mentally normal person can easily demolish high school maths with proper teaching

i dont think people can suck at most intellectual things btw, barring odd cognitive difficulties

i work as a private tutor and i have never once had a pupil not get an a on their maths gcse or a level after ive taught them. not once in 12 pupils, and these were not geniuses

the concept of inherent "sucking" is one of the worst concepts one can possibly have

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Again, the knowing or not know of what exponents are and their rules is not really important. What is important is ones attitude to learning and the knowing / not knowing of information.

Taking pride in ignorance, looking on knowledge with suspicion and generally choosing not to continue learning throughout ones life (the subjects of learning doesn't matter) are the things which damn a person.

the original discussion i had with my friend had nothing to do with condemning a person for being anti-intellectual, or whatever. he was just surprised that i had to 'refresh' on my exponentiation rules, because he thought that the majority of adults were already very comfortable with them.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I've had the exponents run through my head enough times that I still remember them but if I don't go back to school in the Fall I'll probably forget everything again.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    This thread makes me feel less odd for looking at the Millennium Problems just for the hell of it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    that girl's voice is weird but when she smiles and points at people i want to have sex with her

• Options
    there are a few people who are genuinely shit at it (dyscalculia or whatever) but any mentally normal person can easily demolish high school maths with proper teaching

i dont think people can suck at most intellectual things btw, barring odd cognitive difficulties

i work as a private tutor and i have never once had a pupil not get an a on their maths gcse or a level after ive taught them. not once in 12 pupils, and these were not geniuses

the concept of inherent "sucking" is one of the worst concepts one can possibly have

the most confusing part of their tests are remembering what grade and form and level they're in

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    applied math is for uggos

high theory, conceptual stuff is the only stuff i really liked

unfortunatly you hit a wall with that real fast if you haven't also done a hell of a lot of practice (and memorization) of the computational side of things.

For example, most interesting math requires working through integrals. Working through integrals requires that you have practiced a lot of more basic concepts enough so they are almost second nature. Especially algebra, which in turn means having your basic arithmatic down pat.

What is especially sad is when people neglect the amount of time, effort and practice it takes to get good at the basic skills (like arithmatic) assuming they can just work through that stuff when it comes up.

In practice, if you have to actually work out basic stuff like algebra (as opposed to practicing it over and over until it is memorized) you cannot really get to the higher level stuff. It would take hours to get through most integrals if you have to keep looking up / working out all the dozens of sub-tasks most of them contain.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Math never really clicked with me until I started studying logic because I would always try to think about things in real world terms.

We really need to find a better way to get kids interested in the abstract nature of math.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    that girl's voice is weird but when she smiles and points at people i want to have sex with her

I knew you were C-Lo all along!

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Elldren wrote: »
    This lady. This person was just singing What's Love Got To Do With It against some two-man rock band. And won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-lTgwVPrLo

ooooh!

:^:

her voice reminds me of Karin Dreijer Andersson crossed with Lily Allen but more pop-y

Well, yeah. She sounds just fine singing Hey There, Delilah. I have absolutely no beef with her there.

But Hey There, Delilah is a softer song. She's a soft singer. Her voice can't project power of any kind, not even temporarily for a line or two like some other soft singers are capable of doing. What's Love Got to Do With It just overwhelms her.

Think Owl City attempting Rolling In The Deep. It ain't gonna work.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »

I knew you were C-Lo all along!

yeah the 'almost chew on fingertip' thing was a pretty hilarious DAMN, WANNA BE UP INSIDE THIS BITCH gesture

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So hey

why in the hell does writing "G-d" not offend, but writing "God" does?

I mean

I mean you're just moving one link back in a chain. "God" isn't like the given name of the deity even. I mean why not be double certain and just use "G--" or "---"?

This has bugged me for a while.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    Math never really clicked with me until I started studying logic because I would always try to think about things in real world terms.

We really need to find a better way to get kids interested in the abstract nature of math.

that is a tricky one.

They could introduce some parts of set theory and group theory early on. That doesn't require a foundation in calculus or even algrebra (well, at least not right away). That's more interesting abstract stuff.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Skyrim's gettin' kinda crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-zbiuj2uI0

• Options

I don't know what this means

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Think Johnny Cache singing the Spongebob Squarepants theme song.

• Options
    So hey

I mean

I mean you're just moving one link back in a chain. "God" isn't like the given name of the deity even. I mean why not be double certain and just use "G--" or "---"?

People who do this are idiots fullstop

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Isn't that above high school math? And if so how would >50% be able to know it? I have no idea but I'll guess maybe 20% ever attend above high school education.
    According to wikipedia, about 57 percent of Americans have some college experience and 40 percent have an associate's or bachelor's degree.
    Oh shit!

Then please explain how rednecks get so much media presence.
    Because American culture lionizes the shit parts of the country and the shit people in them for some reason.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

neato. I am hell of curious what kind of DLC they will be releasing.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

that is a tricky one.

They could introduce some parts of set theory and group theory early on. That doesn't require a foundation in calculus or even algrebra (well, at least not right away). That's more interesting abstract stuff.

is that what the whole "new math" thing in the 70's was?

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

There really better be a singer named Johnny Cache and you didn't just misspell Johnny Cash's name >: |

• Options

awesome

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

that is a tricky one.

I don't think so no.

Wait, what do you mean by "new math". I'm not familiar with the term.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I keep thinking I should play more Skyrim.

But I've already got over 300 hours logged.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I worked as a computer science tutor 4 nights a week for 2 years. I saw hundreds of students, mostly students on the verge of failing out of their programs. I helped a lot of them. 3 times out of 4, I could walk away knowing that I helped someone understand something. But there were a sizable number of people who were, simply put, terrible at the discipline. They could memorize the words, they could remember bits and pieces of functional code, but they never, not after weeks and weeks of intensive one on one sessions, managed to create a novel structure or solve a problem they hadn't already seen the solution to before.

What do you call that? They were getting proper instruction. Many of them cared desperately. Had staked their entire identities on going to college and becoming a computer programmer! But it never worked out. I can't reconcile that with a view that anyone can have a basic proficiency in any mental pursuit if they try hard enough.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Mim wrote: »

There really better be a singer named Johnny Cache and you didn't just misspell Johnny Cash's name >: |

Johnny Cache is a poster

idunno if he is also a singer

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Huh...

I guess I'll be doing some patching soon.

• Options
    I worked as a computer science tutor 4 nights a week for 2 years. I saw hundreds of students, mostly students on the verge of failing out of their programs. I helped a lot of them. 3 times out of 4, I could walk away knowing that I helped someone understand something. But there were a sizable number of people who were, simply put, terrible at the discipline. They could memorize the words, they could remember bits and pieces of functional code, but they never, not after weeks and weeks of intensive one on one sessions, managed to create a novel structure or solve a problem they hadn't already seen the solution to before.

What do you call that? They were getting proper instruction. Many of them cared desperately. Had staked their entire identities on going to college and becoming a computer programmer! But it never worked out. I can't reconcile that with a view that anyone can have a basic proficiency in any mental pursuit if they try hard enough.

well at least they will have jobs waiting for them at RealNetworks and in the medical-software industry when they graduate.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

ssssaaassuukeeee!!!!!

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

You know the band that did 'Fireflies'? Imagine that band trying to perform Rolling In The Deep. They wouldn't be able to project half the power the song needs to work.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    So hey

I mean

Why is it okay to eat beef but not pork? Why is it okay to eat cheese, okay to eat beef, but not okay to have a cheeseburger, yet somehow okay to have salmon with cream cheese?

Don't try to apply reason to religion. It never works.

• Options
    So hey

I mean

People who do this are idiots fullstop
    Or Jewish.

But hey, whatever floats your boat... Hitler.

• Options

neato. I am hell of curious what kind of DLC they will be releasing.

what happens in the video, for people who can't be assed to try and analyze multimedia right now?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Hahaha I spelled it Cache.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    DK thats normally a reflection of a deeper problem imo

like... a mental algorithm that does much more generalised things needs to be fixed

i think there are a lot of people who simply never learned how to learn properly in the first place, and they struggle through everything ever after

thats why i always begin with teaching every student to draw

i imagine i will probably find some people who are resistant, but even 75% of people being fully able to do it seems like an absurdly higher number than we actually observe

there is a yawning chasm between potential and achievement in mathematics, probably beyond most other subjects in size

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

that is a tricky one.

I don't think so no.

Wait, what do you mean by "new math". I'm not familiar with the term.

I thought in the 70's there was a big shift in the way that math was taught, and it started focusing on set theory.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.