As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    So hey

why in the hell does writing "G-d" not offend, but writing "God" does?

I mean

I mean you're just moving one link back in a chain. "God" isn't like the given name of the deity even. I mean why not be double certain and just use "G--" or "---"?

This has bugged me for a while.

People who do this are idiots fullstop
    Or Jewish.

But hey, whatever floats your boat... Hitler.

"God" ≠ the tetragrammaton

don't even try and pretend it does

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    also, loud songs can totally be recontextualized to be awesome soft, and vice versa

this song is fucking killer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggDeCO5MndY&feature=related

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Gosling wrote: »
    Think Owl City attempting Rolling In The Deep. It ain't gonna work.

I don't know what this means

You know the band that did 'Fireflies'? Imagine that band trying to perform Rolling In The Deep. They wouldn't be able to project half the power the song needs to work.

no

I do not know either of these things

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Skyrim's gettin' kinda crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-zbiuj2uI0

neato. I am hell of curious what kind of DLC they will be releasing.

what happens in the video, for people who can't be assed to try and analyze multimedia right now?

in the new patch they have added more kill-animations for the various kinds of attacks and sort of camera-cuts to make you look awesome when you drop someone with a ranged or magic attack.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I worked as a computer science tutor 4 nights a week for 2 years. I saw hundreds of students, mostly students on the verge of failing out of their programs. I helped a lot of them. 3 times out of 4, I could walk away knowing that I helped someone understand something. But there were a sizable number of people who were, simply put, terrible at the discipline. They could memorize the words, they could remember bits and pieces of functional code, but they never, not after weeks and weeks of intensive one on one sessions, managed to create a novel structure or solve a problem they hadn't already seen the solution to before.

What do you call that? They were getting proper instruction. Many of them cared desperately. Had staked their entire identities on going to college and becoming a computer programmer! But it never worked out. I can't reconcile that with a view that anyone can have a basic proficiency in any mental pursuit if they try hard enough.

The deficiency that I had to overcome in order to learn properly was a lack of observational skills. They aren't seeing and analyzing the information at a deep level, is my thinking.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So hey

I mean

I mean you're just moving one link back in a chain. "God" isn't like the given name of the deity even. I mean why not be double certain and just use "G--" or "---"?

Or Jewish.

Yeah you anti-semetic son of a bitch I was just asking but you good ---.

But okay yeah I mean I guess it's just an idiosyncratic aspect of the practice. Though knowing Judaism, there are dozens of pages of discussion about it if I feel like looking it up.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Podly wrote: »
    Math never really clicked with me until I started studying logic because I would always try to think about things in real world terms.

We really need to find a better way to get kids interested in the abstract nature of math.

that is a tricky one.

They could introduce some parts of set theory and group theory early on. That doesn't require a foundation in calculus or even algrebra (well, at least not right away). That's more interesting abstract stuff.

is that what the whole "new math" thing in the 70's was?

I don't think so no.

Wait, what do you mean by "new math". I'm not familiar with the term.

I thought in the 70's there was a big shift in the way that math was taught, and it started focusing on set theory.

hmm, if there was it was over by the time I was in school.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

what happens in the video, for people who can't be assed to try and analyze multimedia right now?

They added kill-cams to God damn everything.

New killing animations too, including fucking suplexes.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    I worked as a computer science tutor 4 nights a week for 2 years. I saw hundreds of students, mostly students on the verge of failing out of their programs. I helped a lot of them. 3 times out of 4, I could walk away knowing that I helped someone understand something. But there were a sizable number of people who were, simply put, terrible at the discipline. They could memorize the words, they could remember bits and pieces of functional code, but they never, not after weeks and weeks of intensive one on one sessions, managed to create a novel structure or solve a problem they hadn't already seen the solution to before.

What do you call that? They were getting proper instruction. Many of them cared desperately. Had staked their entire identities on going to college and becoming a computer programmer! But it never worked out. I can't reconcile that with a view that anyone can have a basic proficiency in any mental pursuit if they try hard enough.

ssssaaassuukeeee!!!!!

I forgot that I was posting here when that happened! Greatest comp-sci rage quit ever.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Isn't that above high school math? And if so how would >50% be able to know it? I have no idea but I'll guess maybe 20% ever attend above high school education.
    According to wikipedia, about 57 percent of Americans have some college experience and 40 percent have an associate's or bachelor's degree.
    Oh shit!

Then please explain how rednecks get so much media presence.
    Because American culture lionizes the shit parts of the country and the shit people in them for some reason.

I blame the Senate for perpetuating this nonsense.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular

You know the band that did 'Fireflies'? Imagine that band trying to perform Rolling In The Deep. They wouldn't be able to project half the power the song needs to work.

no

...dude, you don't know the song Rolling In The Deep? Really? The ubiquitous song that thrust Adele into the global consciousness? You honestly don't know that song?

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    my parents didn't have a name

it was taken from them

by pig farmers!

and tailors!

• Options
    you so sexy, michael fassbender

• Options

in the new patch they have added more kill-animations for the various kinds of attacks and sort of camera-cuts to make you look awesome when you drop someone with a ranged or magic attack.

oh good

I only killed people with arrows or magic or magic arrows so hopefully it's a welcome change

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

no

...dude, you don't know the song Rolling In The Deep? Really? The ubiquitous song that thrust Adele into the global consciousness? You honestly don't know that song?

Adele?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    So hey

I mean

Or Jewish.

But okay yeah I mean I guess it's just an idiosyncratic aspect of the practice. Though knowing Judaism, there are dozens of pages of discussion about it if I feel like looking it up.
    It's something in one of the biblical books about not defacing "The Name of God." Observant Jews don't write down any of The Names of God because of the risk that someone may deface them at some point, unknowingly or uncaringly.

That being said, why, exactly, "God" qualifies as a Name of God and "G-d" doesn't, I don't know. Like most religious tenets, it makes no sense to me.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Caring and actually doing it aren't the same thing. I cared a shitload about being a physicist, it took a year in college for me to realize that I didn't want to be one.

And they only got the proper instruction that you saw.

It's the fundamental attribution error. Other people can/can't do things due to inherent traits because that's an easy way to think about it.

You see a tiny portion of a larger picture, and extrapolate.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh dear. You really don't know, do you?

All right, elldren. Here's Owl City doing Fireflies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4&ob=av2n

and here's Rolling In The Deep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYEDA3JcQqw&ob=av3e

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Math never really clicked with me until I started studying logic because I would always try to think about things in real world terms.

We really need to find a better way to get kids interested in the abstract nature of math.

that is a tricky one.

They could introduce some parts of set theory and group theory early on. That doesn't require a foundation in calculus or even algrebra (well, at least not right away). That's more interesting abstract stuff.

I don't think so no.

I thought in the 70's there was a big shift in the way that math was taught, and it started focusing on set theory.

Yeah, you got it right. They also included non-base-10 arithmetic and basic symbolic logic.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular

no

Adele?

We could've had it all, Elldren.

• Options
    time for the journey home.

I picked up the electronic copy of The Lord of the Rings to read on my phone (from the android market).

It has a pretty interesting forward from the publisher about all the different printings there have been over the years and the various corrections / errors introduced with each one.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    So hey

I mean

Or Jewish.

It's something in one of the biblical books about not defacing "The Name of God." Observant Jews don't write down any of The Names of God because of the risk that someone may deface them at some point, unknowingly or uncaringly.

That being said, why, exactly, "God" qualifies as a Name of God and "G-d" doesn't, I don't know. Like most religious tenets, it makes no sense to me.

Neither do

hence: idiots

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

no

Adele?

the eponymous fat lady of the phrase "when the fat lady sings"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh dear. You really don't know, do you?

All right, elldren. Here's Owl City doing Fireflies...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4&ob=av2n

I don't really know why but the way the Owl City guy looks and sounds combined just screams autism to me.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    This is a depressing amazon.com review:
    I was thrilled to get the Kitty Harness and be able to get our 2 year old tom out of the house. I followed the instructions and he accepted the harness without a problem and on the second day I took him outside. We did this for three more consecutive days without incident because the harness appeared to work as advertised. On the fourth day, we had been outside about 30 minutes when something spooked him and he lunged stretching the leash to full length and he squirmed half way out of the harness. Before I could catch him, he lunged again and got free. That was three weeks ago and we have not seen him since. If you purchase this item, I suggest you adjust it to near strangling tightness.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    This is a depressing amazon.com review:
    I was thrilled to get the Kitty Harness and be able to get our 2 year old tom out of the house. I followed the instructions and he accepted the harness without a problem and on the second day I took him outside. We did this for three more consecutive days without incident because the harness appeared to work as advertised. On the fourth day, we had been outside about 30 minutes when something spooked him and he lunged stretching the leash to full length and he squirmed half way out of the harness. Before I could catch him, he lunged again and got free. That was three weeks ago and we have not seen him since. If you purchase this item, I suggest you adjust it to near strangling tightness.
    It'll be okay!

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    owl city

bleh

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Owl City is Poldy's favorite, before they sold out.

• Options
    owl city

bleh

to be fair you say this about anything from the last 20 years that isn't german

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    owl city

bleh

to be fair you say this about anything from the last 20 years that isn't german

to be fair owl city is pretty bleh

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

that is a tricky one.

I don't think so no.

When I was in high school (early 90s) I'd heard of it, but only in passing, and derisively, like that Tom Lehrer song above.

I really encountered it when I was working as a math tutor in college, because my boss was into it. He'd quietly incorporated some of the ideas into his remedial math classes (we're talking college-age students who were unable to do introductory algebra) because, well, they worked.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    So hey

I mean

Or Jewish.

Neither do

hence: idiots

The belief that eventually came about (after the exilic period and just after when most of the old testament was written) that the proper name for the god of Moses (Yahweh, or when written in a script that doesn't use vowels YHWH) was not supposed to be spoken aloud except in inner sanctum of the temple in Jerusalem. Eventually of course the temple was destroyed and out of that destruction (and the times and world events that led to it) both Christianity and Rabbinic Judaism were created (and at about the same time). The old restriction kind of stuck but of course now there was no temple in which one could speak the name.

It's not really supported well in the bible itself. But it was a pretty common idea among religions of that age and region.

So it's an oddity but not a unique or unusual oddity.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Fireflies is an okay song. It's not as good as their older stuff, though. Such Great Heights was classic.

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

that is a tricky one.

I don't think so no.

When I was in high school (early 90s) I'd heard of it, but only in passing, and derisively, like that Tom Lehrer song above.

I really encountered it when I was working as a math tutor in college, because my boss was into it. He'd quietly incorporated some of the ideas into his remedial math classes (we're talking college-age students who were unable to do introductory algebra) because, well, they worked.

After watching the video I think the way I was taught subtraction was what that guy was calling "new math". Only I don't know what he is rambling about it being difficult or not working / not giving the right answer.

Whoever made that video just seems like an old wanker who can't comprehend that there might be multiple logicially valid ways to work through a problem.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

no

Adele?

Adele is fat.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

no

Adele?

Adele is fat.

She is also Dovahkiin.

• Options
    Fat jokes.

Stay classy, chat.

• Options
    there's a ton of interesting stuff in the subject of divine names in general and that of the god of moses in particular. One thing that sticks out for me is that it is definetly a gendered name and definetly male.

It is very clear in hebrew that the Lord God has a gender and that gender is male. Dude is packin'.

(IIRC it's 3rd person causative masculine for the verb "to be". EG: "he that causes to be". Possibly a shortened form of "he who causes to be the heavenly armies").

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.