As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    owl city

bleh

to be fair you say this about anything from the last 20 years that isn't german

To be fair, Owl City is really bleh.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Uggghhhh, my foot is itchy

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Math never really clicked with me until I started studying logic because I would always try to think about things in real world terms.

We really need to find a better way to get kids interested in the abstract nature of math.

that is a tricky one.

They could introduce some parts of set theory and group theory early on. That doesn't require a foundation in calculus or even algrebra (well, at least not right away). That's more interesting abstract stuff.

is that what the whole "new math" thing in the 70's was?

I don't think so no.

Wait, what do you mean by "new math". I'm not familiar with the term.

I thought in the 70's there was a big shift in the way that math was taught, and it started focusing on set theory.

hmm, if there was it was over by the time I was in school.

When I was in high school (early 90s) I'd heard of it, but only in passing, and derisively, like that Tom Lehrer song above.

I really encountered it when I was working as a math tutor in college, because my boss was into it. He'd quietly incorporated some of the ideas into his remedial math classes (we're talking college-age students who were unable to do introductory algebra) because, well, they worked.

I don't understand how you guys (who are older than me) were not taught with those methods, as it is in many respects how I was taught math.

Maybe it went out of fashion on the sinister coast

fuck gendered marketing
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Gangrene.

Equip your steak knife and select your ankle.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Fat jokes.

Stay classy, chat.

just a factual statement.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg1H9PBwLp4

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

Gangrene.

noooooooo

Gangrene.

noooooooo

*Checks watch*

Now you must select the point just below your knee.

I advise haste.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    DK thats normally a reflection of a deeper problem imo

like... a mental algorithm that does much more generalised things needs to be fixed

i think there are a lot of people who simply never learned how to learn properly in the first place, and they struggle through everything ever after

thats why i always begin with teaching every student to draw

i imagine i will probably find some people who are resistant, but even 75% of people being fully able to do it seems like an absurdly higher number than we actually observe

there is a yawning chasm between potential and achievement in mathematics, probably beyond most other subjects in size

With high school graduate math proficiency in the US and UK hovering around 30%, you'll get no argument from me that there are a substantial number of underperforming students, many of whom, like you said, never learned to learn. I still think there will be a good 20% of the population incapable anything beyond basic arithmetic.

Both of our arguments are just conjecture though. I'd love to see more hard data on the subject.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    DK thats normally a reflection of a deeper problem imo

like... a mental algorithm that does much more generalised things needs to be fixed

i think there are a lot of people who simply never learned how to learn properly in the first place, and they struggle through everything ever after

thats why i always begin with teaching every student to draw

i imagine i will probably find some people who are resistant, but even 75% of people being fully able to do it seems like an absurdly higher number than we actually observe

there is a yawning chasm between potential and achievement in mathematics, probably beyond most other subjects in size

With high school graduate math proficiency in the US and UK hovering around 30%, you'll get no argument from me that there are a substantial number of underperforming students, many of whom, like you said, never learned to learn. I still think there will be a good 20% of the population incapable anything beyond basic arithmetic.

Both of our arguments are just conjecture though. I'd love to see more hard data on the subject.

Whaaa?

Gangrene.

noooooooo

*Checks watch*

I advise haste.

Well then I die with two great looking legs!

Gangrene.

noooooooo

*Checks watch*

I advise haste.

nah, they'll be all ugly and half-rotted

fuck gendered marketing

Gangrene.

noooooooo

*Checks watch*

I advise haste.

The three of you will be mourned. :(

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Bird bird bird bird is the word the bird Is the word.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    unless of course you cut them off, then yes you'll have the best legs

artificial legs

fuck gendered marketing
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Adele's absolutely perfect voice more than makes up for any weight.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    adele could sit on my face any day

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Wow, ME3 on the Xbox is 40 bucks at the Microsoft store with free UPS shipping (link) (note, you have to add it to your cart to see the price).

I didn't want to pick it up until I finished my 2nd playthrough of ME2, but it's tempting.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So I'm doing some research for a project, and I've hit a stumbling block. My online source is missing some information I need, and as far as I can tell there is only one book that contains that information. Only one rather old and obscure book published in 1957.

I looked at my university library. They have a copy of it currently available.

I am quite happy and honestly a little bit surprised.

sig.gif
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Those mio commercials are terrifying

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So I'm doing some research for a project, and I've hit a stumbling block. My online source is missing some information I need, and as far as I can tell there is only one book that contains that information. Only one rather old and obscure book published in 1957.

I looked at my university library. They have a copy of it currently available.

I am quite happy and honestly a little bit surprised.

Learn what's inside, then burn it. Jealously guard your knowledge.

elitism4lyfe

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    basically caveman there are several things

a) if you believe that intelligence/talent are fixed, inherent qualities you will do less well at school than if you believe they are something you develop through hard work (literally - see carol dweck on this)
    b) if you are praised for achievement rather than effort, you will seek easy tasks that you can accomplish without much trouble in order to maintain the level of praise and avoid hard things (dweck again)
    c) if you are taught that failure is a "bad" thing then you will avoid things you find hard and it will take you much, much longer to fix the erroneous parts of your mind

learning to learn is about coming to understand how to deal with being bad at things, how to repeat things you find hard that you keep failing at with the eventual goal of succeeding, how to appreciate the delayed gratification of overcoming your own limitations.

the first thing i do with any of my students is teach them how to draw (unless they are pretty damn good already, but thats a small number of cases).

i sit them down and ask them to draw a starkly lit face. when they have finished, i ask them how they feel about drawing, and their ability at it, and about talent and so on

what i tend to find is that 90% of people believe they lack the "talent" for art, they are naturally bad, theres no point in them trying because they will never be good - they just lack the special art gene.

then i tell them to draw the shadows, with a quick demonstration.

their second drawing is normally unrecognisably better than the first. its almost absurd how dramatic the difference is. the most important thing is that they take something they believe they are terrible at, and suddenly understand that a simple perspective shift can result in dramatic improvements - and that what they had wrong before was the approach, not their mind.

the point is to take them through the essential stages of learning while they are conscious of what it is they will actually be feeling at each stage. learning to learn is about being aware of your own emotional state, because you have to manage your frustration and interest and all these other things or you cannot do it. and this self-discipline is absolutely something that is learned and something that should be learned and i am astonished that schools spend so little time actually teaching people about learning.

obF2Wuw.png
    fuck gendered marketing
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    that's not true

for instance, I don't really love bands like neon indian or washed out, but they're good and if they're playing I'll enjoy it!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Wow, ME3 on the Xbox is 40 bucks at the Microsoft store with free UPS shipping (link) (note, you have to add it to your cart to see the price).

I didn't want to pick it up until I finished my 2nd playthrough of ME2, but it's tempting.

And Gears 3 is $30 and Final Fantasy XIII-2 is $25 on eBay (buy it now, so no worries about the price rising). There are so many great deals and I really regret shelling out $30 for Dynasty Warriors 6 + DW6: Empire.

basically caveman there are several things

a) if you believe that intelligence/talent are fixed, inherent qualities you will do less well at school than if you believe they are something you develop through hard work (literally - see carol dweck on this)
    b) if you are praised for achievement rather than effort, you will seek easy tasks that you can accomplish without much trouble in order to maintain the level of praise and avoid hard things (dweck again)
    c) if you are taught that failure is a "bad" thing then you will avoid things you find hard and it will take you much, much longer to fix the erroneous parts of your mind

learning to learn is about coming to understand how to deal with being bad at things, how to repeat things you find hard that you keep failing at with the eventual goal of succeeding, how to appreciate the delayed gratification of overcoming your own limitations.

the first thing i do with any of my students is teach them how to draw (unless they are pretty damn good already, but thats a small number of cases).

i sit them down and ask them to draw a starkly lit face. when they have finished, i ask them how they feel about drawing, and their ability at it, and about talent and so on

what i tend to find is that 90% of people believe they lack the "talent" for art, they are naturally bad, theres no point in them trying because they will never be good - they just lack the special art gene.

then i tell them to draw the shadows, with a quick demonstration.

their second drawing is normally unrecognisably better than the first. its almost absurd how dramatic the difference is. the most important thing is that they take something they believe they are terrible at, and suddenly understand that a simple perspective shift can result in dramatic improvements - and that what they had wrong before was the approach, not their mind.

the point is to take them through the essential stages of learning while they are conscious of what it is they will actually be feeling at each stage. learning to learn is about being aware of your own emotional state, because you have to manage your frustration and interest and all these other things or you cannot do it. and this self-discipline is absolutely something that is learned and something that should be learned and i am astonished that schools spend so little time actually teaching people about learning.

this this this

note that a) still applies even if you are constantly told you are very intelligent/talented

fuck gendered marketing
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Question

Conway's game of life is such that any one state has only one possible future state but multiple possible past states

What is this called?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    actually elldren its not just even its especially

if people praise you for your intelligence rather than your effort you will avoid anything that makes you seem stupid and thus lose the praise

its the most terrible of all things you can do to somebody - praise their inherent qualities, and not their effort

yet countless parents do it, setting their children up for shitty times

obF2Wuw.png
    Winky wrote: »
    Question

Conway's game of life is such that any one state has only one possible future state but multiple possible past states

What is this called?

that sounds like a really terrible rules variant

Like, not that the game of life is that much fun but that would make it so much worse

fuck gendered marketing
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Bahaha. Waiting pays off! I was a little annoyed I had dragged my feet and didn't get it for $50 at Newegg but this is even better.

actually elldren its not just even its especially

if people praise you for your intelligence rather than your effort you will avoid anything that makes you seem stupid and thus lose the praise

its the most terrible of all things you can do to somebody - praise their inherent qualities, and not their effort

yet countless parents do it, setting their children up for shitty times

I know

I know this firsthand

every time somebody tells me that I'm sooo intelligent I feel like shit

fuck gendered marketing
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Question

What is this called?

that sounds like a really terrible rules variant

Like, not that the game of life is that much fun but that would make it so much worse

I would rather spend an evening playing Conway's game of life than Milton Bradley's Game of Life.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    baby

you gotta learn to learn the learn

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

Bahaha. Waiting pays off! I was a little annoyed I had dragged my feet and didn't get it for $50 at Newegg but this is even better.

And you said I was crazy.
    CRAZY LIKE A FOX

Deebaser wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »

And you said I was crazy.
    CRAZY LIKE A FOX

Whateva!

ugh i've gone and depressed myself

fuck gendered marketing
    Does anyone have the From Ashes DLC? Is it worth it, yes or no?

This discussion has been closed.