As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Wow, ME3 on the Xbox is 40 bucks at the Microsoft store with free UPS shipping (link) (note, you have to add it to your cart to see the price).

I didn't want to pick it up until I finished my 2nd playthrough of ME2, but it's tempting.

Bahaha. Waiting pays off! I was a little annoyed I had dragged my feet and didn't get it for $50 at Newegg but this is even better.

Hmm

no DLC though?

... ehhh whatever, I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit for it anyway. I think I can do $40.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    basically caveman there are several things

a) if you believe that intelligence/talent are fixed, inherent qualities you will do less well at school than if you believe they are something you develop through hard work (literally - see carol dweck on this)
    b) if you are praised for achievement rather than effort, you will seek easy tasks that you can accomplish without much trouble in order to maintain the level of praise and avoid hard things (dweck again)
    c) if you are taught that failure is a "bad" thing then you will avoid things you find hard and it will take you much, much longer to fix the erroneous parts of your mind

learning to learn is about coming to understand how to deal with being bad at things, how to repeat things you find hard that you keep failing at with the eventual goal of succeeding, how to appreciate the delayed gratification of overcoming your own limitations.

the first thing i do with any of my students is teach them how to draw (unless they are pretty damn good already, but thats a small number of cases).

i sit them down and ask them to draw a starkly lit face. when they have finished, i ask them how they feel about drawing, and their ability at it, and about talent and so on

what i tend to find is that 90% of people believe they lack the "talent" for art, they are naturally bad, theres no point in them trying because they will never be good - they just lack the special art gene.

then i tell them to draw the shadows, with a quick demonstration.

their second drawing is normally unrecognisably better than the first. its almost absurd how dramatic the difference is. the most important thing is that they take something they believe they are terrible at, and suddenly understand that a simple perspective shift can result in dramatic improvements - and that what they had wrong before was the approach, not their mind.

the point is to take them through the essential stages of learning while they are conscious of what it is they will actually be feeling at each stage. learning to learn is about being aware of your own emotional state, because you have to manage your frustration and interest and all these other things or you cannot do it. and this self-discipline is absolutely something that is learned and something that should be learned and i am astonished that schools spend so little time actually teaching people about learning.

this this this

note that a) still applies even if you are constantly told you are very intelligent/talented

I always assumed I had no sense of rythm/sucked at music

Rock Band 3 drums and to a lesser degree stepmania taught me that "no sense of rythm" is a kind of fake concept

As a result I'm hoping to get myself a midrange ekit in the nearish future because apparently I'm half decent at it and I enjoy it quite a bit

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Wow, ME3 on the Xbox is 40 bucks at the Microsoft store with free UPS shipping (link) (note, you have to add it to your cart to see the price).

I didn't want to pick it up until I finished my 2nd playthrough of ME2, but it's tempting.

Bahaha. Waiting pays off! I was a little annoyed I had dragged my feet and didn't get it for $50 at Newegg but this is even better.

Hmm

no DLC though?

... ehhh whatever, I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit for it anyway. I think I can do $40.

Well the DLC costs $10. It's on the same store. Search for it.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have the From Ashes DLC? Is it worth it, yes or no?

i do

and the mish itself is pretty good, and it answers a lot of questions

fuck gendered marketing
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    the interactions from ashes adds throughout the game is worth it. It's not like kasumi or Zaeed where they really didn't have shit to say beyond their dlc

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ugh fucking Capcom you are so fucking stupid.

bloodyroarxx on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    3movC.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
    Alright, gonna get it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yes.

Yes.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Yeah but like

if I'm spending $10, I'm spending it on my increasingly warren-like collection of weird indie games. Like I'd rather pick up Dustforce than a DLC character.

Not that I wouldn't likely get more use out of DLC, with the way my free time restricts me to finishing on game a decade at the moment.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    Cool! Got the game and the DLC for $54 after tax. A lot better than $76!

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    how much for ME3 on my compooter

I might buy it tonight

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I just had to explain to my lady friend why "different philosophers have thought different things" doesn't mean "ethics is all just your opinion, man".

That was...special.

So It Goes wrote: »
    how much for ME3 on my compooter

I might buy it tonight

FULL PRICE.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    @mrflippy If you don't use those coupons, doesn't that just mean that the website gets to keep your dad's money for nothing?

@Thanatos Yeah, but he almost surely didn't pay full price for them and I was reading about restaurants that weren't being compensated for the coupons. I'll probably end up using them but feeling bad about it. :?

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I would even say that it is required.

PSN: Honkalot
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    _J_ wrote: »
    I just had to explain to my lady friend why "different philosophers have thought different things" doesn't mean "ethics is all just your opinion, man".

That was...special.

what are the right ethics, _j_

It might be the most dollar worthy DLC ever.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    J has a lady friend?

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    I hope I haven't forgotten loads of things from the first two games that will be tied up in ME3.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    dangit put too much salt in this guacamole

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if Dropbox has an issue with multiple users logging into an account? The Powers That Be want a way for project members to upload files to a central space, but do not want people to have to set up their own account, and instead to use a single account name/password for everyone in the project to use.

I would prefer the more kosher way of just having one person set up the central account, and then having everyone just get their own Dropbox password/account and setting up sharing to those people, which is much more secure, but whatevers.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    J has a lady friend?

Hasn't he always?

Psn:wazukki
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    AMERICA

WHAT A COUNTRY!

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    J has a lady friend?

Define "lady".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

sig.gif
    Does anyone know if Dropbox has an issue with multiple users logging into an account? The Powers That Be want a way for project members to upload files to a central space, but do not want people to have to set up their own account, and instead to use a single account name/password for everyone in the project to use.

I would prefer the more kosher way of just having one person set up the central account, and then having everyone just get their own Dropbox password/account and setting up sharing to those people, which is much more secure, but whatevers.

That works fine, I often run it on two computers at once with the same user. Haven't tried it with more than three, but in this case I'm betting that since it works with two there should be no problem with even more.

AMERICA

WHAT A COUNTRY!

is perhaps most basic idea

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So according to one of my friends, the university-wide grad student union at my old university had a general assembly during which the following votes took place:

1. A vote reaffirming the legitimacy of the grad student union: defeated.
    2. A vote upholding a decision by the university-wide grad student union president to respect the sovereignty of departmental grad student unions: defeated.
    3. A vote declaring a general grad student strike: overwhelmingly passed.

So this means that apparently students see their university-wide union as illegitimate but do not want it to respect the smaller departmental unions and are willing to obey its strike order.

W. T. F.

sig.gif
    is my friend

let us go to the store

we can buy some bread

fuck gendered marketing
    Richy wrote: »
    So according to one of my friends, the university-wide grad student union at my old university had a general assembly during which the following votes took place:

2. A vote upholding a decision by the university-wide grad student union president to respect the sovereignty of departmental grad student unions: defeated.

So this means that apparently students see their university-wide union as illegitimate but do not want it to respect the smaller departmental unions and are willing to obey its strike order.

W. T. F.

sounds like anarchists

fuck gendered marketing
    Organichu wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

That was...special.

what are the right ethics, _j_

Spinoza's Ethics

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Anarchy in the U.K.

wazilla wrote: »
    J has a lady friend?

Hasn't he always?

Nope.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I'd take weirdsies right about now

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    It sounds just like college students who think they understand how the world works.

Except you said GRAD students so what the fuck

Richy wrote: »

W. T. F.

Grad Student Unions are Horse shit.

Horse shit, I say.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Why are they striking?

What will the strike entail?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Anyone on PC up for Mass Effect 3?

This discussion has been closed.