As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    i never even tried playing it

in fact i pretty much forgot about it til people began talking about how great troika was an listing off their past stuff and i realised "oh wait the vampire guys did that too huh"

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    It's pretty awesome. It and Planescape are my two of my favorite rpgs ever (Morrowind and Secret of Mana being the other two)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    take your 18/00 and shove it
    crom faeyr all day erryday, smash faces with my 25

also I should play arcanum, I sort of played a bit, but just couldn't keep going
    got to the point where I was retreating through the city, throwing molotovs behind me to kill mechaspiders while rooting around in trash bins to build
    surprise
    more molotovs to throw at the spiders

crom faeyr is realllly good but you have to give up some fantastic equipment to get it

it's basically, do you want a party that's all pretty good

or one really badass dude and some folks who are just okay

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Arcanum is far from perfect, but I think thats part of why I love it so much

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Arcanum is a game

an extremely buggy game

Obsidian wishes it could make games as buggy as Arcanum was.

never could get into it as a result. I'd love to read the LP of it in the archive but...

so much god damn text

• Options
    I've never been able to finish Arcanum before some bug corrupted my save file

I love the idea and the setting but it's just too screwed up to play

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

also I should play arcanum, I sort of played a bit, but just couldn't keep going
    got to the point where I was retreating through the city, throwing molotovs behind me to kill mechaspiders while rooting around in trash bins to build
    surprise

crom faeyr is realllly good but you have to give up some fantastic equipment to get it

well, considering that one of my favorite tactics was to cast any and all buffs on my main character and then have them charge in to battle
    it worked out pretty well

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Maybe I should do a voiced over LP for Cilla. Then again thats assuming I am interesting in any way and don't wind up sounding like a neckbeard

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Maybe I should do a voiced over LP for Cilla. Then again thats assuming I am interesting in any way and don't wind up sounding like a neckbeard

if you do a voice over LP, you have to read each line in that character's voice

• Options
    Oh I don't ever mind reading screenshot LPs

it's just, in the LP archive, the arcanum lp is a narrative one

a very, very text heavy narrative one

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

surprise

well, considering that one of my favorite tactics was to cast any and all buffs on my main character and then have them charge in to battle
    it worked out pretty well

yeah, I wasn't saying it's less effective, it just comes down to a matter of preference

though I bet somebody has math'd the shit out of it and determined whether it's more effective to have three dudes with great strength or one dude with godlike strength

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    have we talked about how good the dragon themes are

because they are fan-fucking-tastic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56kBpMU1yA

• Options
    edited March 2012
    dude, all of that music was fantastic
    seriously, listening to it
    just awesome

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    my single most favorite BG2 song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CN552hecc

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
  • Options
    I was never terribly impressed with the music of BG1 and 2

ToB really outdoes both of them, and not by a little

for that matter, so does Icewind Dale, but that's what hiring Inon Zur and Jeremy Soule, respectively, gets you

• Options
    so
    uh
    does anyone have a full sound track maybe that I could get a hold of

• Options
    also goddamnit you guys are going to kill me
    icewind dale I & II, planescape, arcanum, neverwinter nights I & II with all the modules, all of these I have to play
    just
    see you in 3 years, cause that is going to take some patience and determination

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    i really wish they would make an EE of icewind dale and planescape, since I haven't played them. How well do they hold up these days?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    don't know, guess I'll find out
    I'm hoping well, if the mod community is any good

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    icewind dale 1 has not aged that well, I've never cared about it enough to get in very far.
    2 is a lot of fun though. Once you leave the first town it mostly abandons RP and it's much more of a combat oriented D&D game.
    Which actually works pretty well, because the fights are much better balanced than most of the Baldur's gate fights.

planescape is OK once you mod it for a higher resolution

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Planescape's gameplay is the least fleshed out of the bunch, and has tremendous balance issues, but is also probably the easiest to pick up. I find it to be kind of the Beginner's Guide to the Infinity Engine of sorts. Or at least, to some degree, because a bunch of that stuff doesn't carry over to the other games.

The writing, however, is timeless. Everyone should play Planescape: Torment.

• Options
    so, I figure icewind dale 1 then 2, then neverwinter 1 and 2, but before those, which first?
    arcanum or planescape?

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Whether or not you like Icewind Dale really depends on what you liked about BG. Personally the lack of party interaction and a compelling story was not overcome by slightly prettier graphics and gameplay for me.

• Options
    Planescape is my recommendation, but it's very dense from a dialogue and story perspective, so it depends on how your mood is.

Tips for Planescape if you do play it: go mage. Wis and Int are the two most important stats in that game without question, and mage is the only class that directly benefits from Int. Wis is the most important stat, partly because it effects how much bonus experience you get, but mostly because it effects your dialogue options. All the strengths of this game are in the dialogue, and you want as much as you can get. Int also affects dialogue, so it's similarly important.

Raise them both as often and as soon as possible for the best Planescape experience.

• Options
    also goddamnit you guys are going to kill me
    icewind dale I & II, planescape, arcanum, neverwinter nights I & II with all the modules, all of these I have to play
    just
    see you in 3 years, cause that is going to take some patience and determination

dude most of the first NWN is not really worth your time unless you've got a group

with the exception of Hordes of the Underdark, which was made with singleplayer in mind

• Options
    Planescape is my recommendation, but it's very dense from a dialogue and story perspective, so it depends on how your mood is.

Tips for Planescape if you do play it: go mage. Wis and Int are the two most important stats in that game without question, and mage is the only class that directly benefits from Int. Wis is the most important stat, partly because it effects how much bonus experience you get, but mostly because it effects your dialogue options. All the strengths of this game are in the dialogue, and you want as much as you can get. Int also affects dialogue, so it's similarly important.

Raise them both as often and as soon as possible for the best Planescape experience.

this man

he speaks the truth

I'd like to point out that charisma is also very useful in dialogue

• Options
    I was talking about which order I was going to play them in, just figure arcanum and planescape seem the most similarly dated compared with the others
    thanks for the tip cilla, I'll keep it in mind. it'll be nice to be a mage in planescape, because if I recall correctly, arcanum doesn't much like magic

I get what you're talking about too janson, and I'm thinking about it more now. very little party interaction is kind of lame.
    is it possible to solo run it? I never did it in baldur's gate because party interaction was too much fun, but I know it was possible

• Options
    Planescape is rather dated but still stands by itself pretty well, largely because its mechanics are so unique. It's an extremely odd bird as an infinity engine game goes. I mean the gameplay isn't what I'd call good, but still very serviceable and doesn't interfere with enjoyment of the story.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    fuck it

gonna reinstall Planescape when I get back home

other than the high resolution mod, is there any other modification you'd recommand?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    you should probably find a fanpatch

there were quite a few bugs left over from the last patch that Black Isle put out

• Options
    Always be careful with fanpatches though. Fans find a lot of problems to fix where there were none.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I was talking about which order I was going to play them in, just figure arcanum and planescape seem the most similarly dated compared with the others
    thanks for the tip cilla, I'll keep it in mind. it'll be nice to be a mage in planescape, because if I recall correctly, arcanum doesn't much like magic

I get what you're talking about too janson, and I'm thinking about it more now. very little party interaction is kind of lame.
    is it possible to solo run it? I never did it in baldur's gate because party interaction was too much fun, but I know it was possible

You're wrong about Arcanum, being a magic-user is easy mode while using technology is much, much harder. It's a hell of a lot cooler though so who gives a fuck, I always went tech.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wasn't there also a bunch of unused dialog/quests in the game files people restored? are they any good?

EDITED : I distinctly remember a restored extended dialog between the Nameless One and Mort about the chittering teeth you got from that old lady.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

You're wrong about Arcanum, being a magic-user is easy mode while using technology is much, much harder. It's a hell of a lot cooler though so who gives a fuck, I always went tech.

yeah, this is true

playing a technologist is an uphill battle for most of the game

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

wisdom grants some delightful dialogue

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Welp, time to play all my favorite RPGs at the same time. I'M GONNA DIE.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Shit, I need to reinstall Arcanum too.