As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Fallout 3's ending wouldn't have been so bad if they had found a way to put Fawkes in peril by going in there.

Also your robot Sergeant RL-3 and debatably your ghoul Charon.

Fawke's was especially a problem because one of the first things he does for you is wander into a high radiation area to get you something.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Up until Broken Steel came out I would, spoilers I guess w/e
    just let the filtration plant explode, because fuck you game.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Vega is great. Far better than Kaidan and Jacob that preceded him.

I want to dig Kaiden out of his grave, and take him and Jacob to Baskin Robbins for an ice cream party to apologize for taking them for granted.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Vega started out boring, but he got more interesting once he insisted on having a personal conversation while you punched each other. I hear Kaidan got fixed, too. But yeah, I picked him to die in the first game for being terminally boring.

At any rate, the Hydrophobia guys are gone:
    It's been confirmed to GamesIndustry International that Manchester studio Dark Energy Digital, creators of Hydrophobia, has entered administration.

Administrators Leonard Curtis moved in last Friday, March 16, to oversee the operation.

GamesIndustry International first reported the story in February, after an inside source reported that the developer was closing its doors.

Despite some protestation from management, those sources unfortunately appear to be correct.

It is also suspected that the company's assets could be bundled into a 'pre-packed' administration deal, with newly formed outfit Dark Energy Publishing, said to be lined up to take control of physical assets and IP at a bargain price.

Dark Energy Publishing was founded in January by Dark Energy Digital owners Pete and Deborah Jones, as well as the company's technical director Gary Leach. GamesIndustry International's source also indicated that staff wages are somewhat in lieu, but this has yet to be confirmed.

Dark Energy Digital had struggled to balance the books after Hydrophobia performed poorly at market, even after a 'reboot' was released which was designed to address many reviewers issues. Hydrophobia's purpose-built water physics engine is likely to be one of the major assets up for grabs during liquidation of the company.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-03-19-dark-energy-digital-under-administration

Also, the forty-bazillionth port of Dragon's Lair is getting a little something extra.
    We fully expected Dragon's Lair to show up on XBLA sooner or later, so that PEGI listing wasn't much of a surprise. However, publisher Digital Leisure managed to surprise us anyway -- with Kinect support.

You can play Dragon's Lair normally, or you can respond to on-screen prompts with the correct motion. Examples shown in screens include jumping away from a crumbling floor or reaching up to grab a rope.

That makes Dragon's Lair an unlikely technological trailblazer: according to PlayXBLA, it'll be the first XBLA game to support both the Kinect and the traditional controller. Assuming it arrives before Steel Battalion, of course.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/20/dragons-lair-xbla-dares-to-add-kinect-controls/

That actually sounds kinda neat.

Hang on... Steel Battalion will be an XBLA game?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    They're probably talking about how Steel Batallion uses the sensor and controller.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    They're probably talking about how Steel Batallion uses the sensor and controller.

I thought that too, but technically Child of Eden was the first, and that was a while back. Plus they specifically said XBLA. Maybe that was a mistake?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

But even that's not true. There are other games that use both the sensor and controller. Most likely just a mistake in the article.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    That makes Dragon's Lair an unlikely technological trailblazer: according to PlayXBLA, it'll be the first XBLA game to support both the Kinect and the traditional controller. Assuming it arrives before Steel Battalion, of course.

Isn't Child of Eden on XBL?

• Options

I think it got there eventually, but it started as a retail release.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So EA is supposedly now giving refunds for Mass Effect to some people pissed off at the ending.

Mass Effect fans are fucking insane.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    So EA is supposedly now giving refunds for Mass Effect to some people pissed off at the ending.

WAT. I want to do this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Wait, what? Is there a source on that? And why on earth would EA do that?

Then again, if they are doing that, then EA might pressure Bioware to actually change the ending. I haven't seen it yet so I can't tell either way, but the thought that corporate pressure might force a game company to change their personal vision for a project just to please the public isn't a happy one. That road is how crap like Battleship: the Movie gets greenlit.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Hey now.

I disliked the ending and would love to see it changed, or at the very least a firm statement saying "sorry, it is what it is".

But even I think this is nonsense and the people doing it are geese of the highest calibur.

Don't lump us all together.

Shit, my daughter pisses me off sometimes when she doesn't do what I want, but I'm not going to go dump her back at the hospital to try to prove a point.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

(citation needed)

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    EA was also refunding people who weren't happy with The Old Republic. I guess being easy on refunds is a way for them to not be seen as entirely evil.

• Options

I think it got there eventually, but it started as a retail release.

Also, XBLA and Games on Demand aren't the same thing. Dragon's Lair could still be the first XBLA title to use the sensor and controller.

Also also, I agree... Mass Effect "fans" are super fuckin insane...

I get it, the last 5 or so minutes of the trilogy aren't that great to some people. It doesn't invalidate the incredibly epic game you just played, or the incredible trilogy that BioWare crafted. Demanding a refund because you don't like the ending of the game (any game) is like... the epitome of the "entitled gamer"

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Shit, my daughter pisses me off sometimes when she doesn't do what I want, but I'm not going to go dump her back at the hospital to try to prove a point.

At most you'd get store credit.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    anastazius wrote: »

Wait, is it Amazon giving credits or EA? I can't access the site from work.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    That's just...urgh I wouldn't want to work at Bioware right now.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

Wait, is it Amazon giving credits or EA? I can't access the site from work.

according to various links in the ME thread, Amazon is doing it and apparently Origin (EA) is doing it.

How widespread they are, what the exact circumstances were, I'm not sure.

I know, in Utah, there's a state law that stores have to offer a full refund within 3 days of purchase no matter what. Even stores that advertise no refunds have to honor this. It is the law.

So it might be something related to laws like that.

But if people are getting full refunds for something they bought a couple weeks ago?

Geese.

And the CS reps handling them need to get a clue.

• Options
    That's just...urgh I wouldn't want to work at Bioware right now.

They're probably used to it. I believe Dragon Age 2 was also caught in a fetid vortex of douchery.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

(citation needed)

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/subindex/102

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Fucking hell that's seriously happening?

So people truly believe that even though they played through 40+ hours of entertainment, that was tainted enough by an ending that they want a refund? What a bunch of complete shitstains.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That's...stupid as hell. "Guys, the last five minutes of this thirty plus hour game aren't to my liking, please give me my money back".

Epitome of entitled gamer and customer is always right syndrome. I hope the people pushing for this kind of crap realize how bad they make everyone look with their blathering idiocy.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Can I bitch to Nintendo about the princess being in another castle now?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

I would demand a refund personally. Because you are entitled to have the princess in exactly the castle you want her in.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Only if she wasn't in the final castle, making Mario's entire quest to rescue her pointless.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Honestly, I know the ending is far from perfect. But like I said before, this is just turning into a circus.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I stopped playing the moment I found out my rat-racing around the galaxy didn't mean jack shit in the ending. I wouldn't go so far as to call the whole game bad, but I'm not taking another step, as I have no motivation to.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    Oh man, ME3 and its insanity is amazing.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Can I get a refund for time wasted on the Internet? Because I think I'll be dissatisfied by the ending.

Christ, what a bunch of awful twits.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    ME3 is just a casualty of the insano sect of BioWare fans...

Its a really good game with a final five minutes that turn certain weaker minded individuals into raving madmen

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I stopped playing the moment I found out my rat-racing around the galaxy didn't mean jack shit in the ending. I wouldn't go so far as to call the whole game bad, but I'm not taking another step, as I have no motivation to.

How about having fun? I hardly think the last 5 minutes somehow invalidates everything else.

• Options
    MukkMukk Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. Honestly, I know the ending is far from perfect. But like I said before, this is just turning into a circus.

A highly entertaining circus.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

How about having fun? I hardly think the last 5 minutes somehow invalidates everything else.

Honestly, I still don't get that attitude. The Matrix Revelotions does not make the Matrix a shitty movie. The journey is not the destination.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Mukk wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

A highly entertaining circus.

For me it's 50% hilarious and 50% frustrating as shit.

• Options

Waaaaaaait a minute.
    We first spoke with an Amazon representative on chat support, and after a very long pause, were directed to call Amazon’s customer service line.

Using the order of Mass Effect 3 we placed for one of our contest winners as a reference point, we told the Amazon rep we were completely unsatisfied with the game, and made clear that it was not Amazon’s fault; instead, we conveyed that it was the developer’s fault.

After another lengthy pause, Amazon told us they would “issue a full or partial refund if you are not satisfied with the quality of Mass Effect 3, and it is the developer’s fault.” Upon Amazon’s receipt of the game, it would then be sent to the return department for evaluation, and it must be returned within 30 days of purchase. We want to emphasize that Amazon did not promise a full refund, but they did promise, at the very least, a partial refund. And this was for the PC version of the game, and we made sure they knew it was open and had been played.

I'm not seeing anything in there that indicates that Amazon is giving refunds ONLY because people thought the ending to ME3 sucked, specifically. I'm seeing a company offering a refund to a dissatisfied customer. In other words, if I ordered Penisstorm, and then asked Amazon nicely for a refund because I thought the developer put too many dick jokes in there, Amazon might give me a refund too.

It's one thing for people to ask for their money back because they thought the ending sucks. It's quite another for the publisher/store to give refunds they normally wouldn't because of a specific situation. I'm not seeing much evidence for that just yet.

• Options

Waaaaaaait a minute.
    We first spoke with an Amazon representative on chat support, and after a very long pause, were directed to call Amazon’s customer service line.

Using the order of Mass Effect 3 we placed for one of our contest winners as a reference point, we told the Amazon rep we were completely unsatisfied with the game, and made clear that it was not Amazon’s fault; instead, we conveyed that it was the developer’s fault.

After another lengthy pause, Amazon told us they would “issue a full or partial refund if you are not satisfied with the quality of Mass Effect 3, and it is the developer’s fault.” Upon Amazon’s receipt of the game, it would then be sent to the return department for evaluation, and it must be returned within 30 days of purchase. We want to emphasize that Amazon did not promise a full refund, but they did promise, at the very least, a partial refund. And this was for the PC version of the game, and we made sure they knew it was open and had been played.

I'm not seeing anything in there that indicates that Amazon is giving refunds ONLY because people thought the ending to ME3 sucked, specifically. I'm seeing a company offering a refund to a dissatisfied customer. In other words, if I ordered Penisstorm, and then asked Amazon nicely for a refund because I thought the developer put too many dick jokes in there, Amazon might give me a refund too.

It's one thing for people to ask for their money back because they thought the ending sucks. It's quite another for the publisher/store to give refunds they normally wouldn't because of a specific situation. I'm not seeing much evidence for that just yet.

They're not. It doesn't have anything to do with ME3 and they're just following their own policy for people asking for a refund.
    Source

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So here's my swag from the GAME sale;

Uncharted 1
    Uncharted 2
    Infamous 2
    Vanquish
    Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition

For a grand total of... £17.

Some of these were reduced from £15 to £2. It was crazy in there.

Oh brilliant
This discussion has been closed.