As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The interconnectedness of all things [Dirk Gently]

Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Last night was the concluding episode of series one of Dirk Gently featuring these two:
stephen-mangan-and-Darren-007.jpg

Many of you will know Dirk Gently from the novels written by the late, great Douglas Adams (who would have been 60 this year). The BBC has recently adapted a television series which began with a pilot episode last year and has continued with a three part series this year.

These episodes are not based on the books, but draw strong influences from them (expect St Cedds college and so forth). One of the main divergences is the presence of MacDuff who acts as a foil to Gently, in a similar dynamic to the Holmes-Watson relationship.

In my opinion the series, whilst not as inventive and expansive as the novels is still a very silly (in a good way) series that I believe captures the spirit of the books.

I was wondering whether any of you chaps had been watching and your views on it?

Anarchy Rules! on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Huh, had no idea this was going on. Pretty cool. The first book is probably my favorite Adams book ever.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Really liked the pilot, and the second was good. Not a massive fan of the third, robot one, at St Cedds though.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The existence of this series makes me sad. Dirk Gently needs to exist in the two novels, and nothing else.

They were such amazing novels on their own, and anyone but Adams playing with the character feels dirty.

• Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    J, before I saw this series I would have totally agreed with you, but the way these stories have been done is really satisfying.

They don't puppet around the plots of the books like a zombie, but are a really interesting reworking of the themes and world that Dirk Gently exists in. There are enough differences that its easier to see the episodes as `alternate Dirk', and not the definitive Douglas Adams one, so you can sit back and enjoy the references built into every scene.

I can't believe its over already!

• Options
    izzyb wrote: »
    J, before I saw this series I would have totally agreed with you, but the way these stories have been done is really satisfying.

They don't puppet around the plots of the books like a zombie, but are a really interesting reworking of the themes and world that Dirk Gently exists in. There are enough differences that its easier to see the episodes as `alternate Dirk', and not the definitive Douglas Adams one, so you can sit back and enjoy the references built into every scene.

I can't believe its over already!

I could be open to watching it if many people, who enjoyed the novels, say the television show is worthwhile.

Gently would be a very easy character to screw up.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I had a glitch on my Kindle that forced me to put the book aside when I was on vacation, and then Mass Effect 3 came out, so I still haven't finished the damn thing.

I think I need to remedy that issue post-haste.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I had a glitch on my Kindle that forced me to put the book aside when I was on vacation, and then Mass Effect 3 came out, so I still haven't finished the damn thing.

I think I need to remedy that issue post-haste.

Definately.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    Well, if it helps, the Dirk Gently presented in the series is a phenomenally self-involved, grifting, strangely-focused genius that uses politeness as a tool inexpertly applied to get the things he wants. The biggest difference I can see is that he isn't chubby.

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Did they keep the thing wherein he has supernatural powers but doesn't believe in the supernatural?

• Options
    Well, if it helps, the Dirk Gently presented in the series is a phenomenally self-involved, grifting, strangely-focused genius that uses politeness as a tool inexpertly applied to get the things he wants. The biggest difference I can see is that he isn't chubby.

In the series, does he
    Navigate by following cars that seem to know where they're going?

• Options
    Well
    Yes

• Options
    Well
    Yes

Yey!

That's one of my favorite parts. Other than every other part.

• Options
    God, I love these books.

Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul has the most amazing first sentence.
    It can hardly be a coincidence that no language on earth has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport."

It just doesn't get any better than that.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I saw an episode the other day and while I also had mixed feelings it was pretty good. It did seem to almost capture the silliness, as a previous poster said

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My favorite Dirk moment (from Salmon of Doubt):
    "I'm sorry, but I'm through with cats, and I'm definitely through with anything that even smacks of the supernatural or paranormal. I'm a rational being, and I... excuse me."
    The phone was ringing. Dirk answered it. He sighed. It was Thor, the ancient Norse God of Thunder.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    That uh...it sounds funny, but that quote would spoil a book for someone who hadn't read it, could you spoiler it?

• Options
    RaekreuRaekreu Registered User regular
    Well
    Yes

Yey!

That's one of my favorite parts. Other than every other part.

Dang, what was the term used in the book for this? Was it "zen navigation" or am I misremembering?

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I am slightly off-put by his non-pudginess. The brits have so many adorable actors who have unconventional body types, like Ricky Gervais and Stephen Fry, I wish they'd kept that aspect.

Other than that, this is relevant to my interests.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I think it's great (I've read the books), only wish that there were more episodes.