As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The actual sword, or the series? I thought Soul Calibur was the "good" sword

Yeah, Soul Edge is the evil sword.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »
    I was a die hard MK fan when the games were new, though, and I knew the stories like the back of my hand. A big part of the story to me was the ways it changed. I'm still not happy with what happened to Sub Zero, but I can't say I didn't love watching it.

I loved how they handled Motaro. He would appear in the corner of the frame for a split second, once or twice, almost stationary. Then you would see him in battle. From a great distance away. And then he would die instantly.

When finally you see a full shot of him, it's his dead body being carted in, to the bad guys' enormous shock and horror, cause like, apparently they really needed that guy who never did or said anything. It was such a transparent dodge of having to actually conceptualize and credibly execute that character that it really, truly felt like deliberate self-parody. There was B movie charm all over it, just as there should be.

My favorite part of the game is the end of MK1, which is exactly the same as it was originally, only a bit more fleshed out. Most people never liked him, but I always thought Liu Kang was a badass. The most badass kung fu expert on earth, he beat up demons and shit and saved the planet. He was my main in MK3. I love the presentation in the new MK. When Liu Kang challenges Shang Tsung, it's so appropriately cheesy and epic. And when Raiden bows to Liu Kang. Awesome.

EDIT: ALSO, I love that it finally showed Quan Chi's involvement in the original trilogy. He was sort of retconnec in after MK3, but he's pretty much the main villain in the entire series, and he was given a lot of shit to do during the original games (and before) in his backstory for MK4 and MK: Mythologies. To see them worked into the original story just makes him feel more significant, which goes a long way towards establishing a really good villain. And it makes what's going to happen in the next MK seem less out of the blue, with more build up.

Well, what is gonna happen next? I really wanna know, because it would seem to be, uh...

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

I have my own appreciations for the story in part 5, but we've already been there, and not too long ago at that. I guess it would be cool to see a killer reinvention of the reviled MK4, but, good lord. They've got one hell of an overhaul ahead of them. It's almost masochistic to follow up such a successful retelling of the original trilogy by diving right into rebuilding arguably the worst game of the series.

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was a die hard MK fan when the games were new, though, and I knew the stories like the back of my hand. A big part of the story to me was the ways it changed. I'm still not happy with what happened to Sub Zero, but I can't say I didn't love watching it.

I loved how they handled Motaro. He would appear in the corner of the frame for a split second, once or twice, almost stationary. Then you would see him in battle. From a great distance away. And then he would die instantly.

When finally you see a full shot of him, it's his dead body being carted in, to the bad guys' enormous shock and horror, cause like, apparently they really needed that guy who never did or said anything. It was such a transparent dodge of having to actually conceptualize and credibly execute that character that it really, truly felt like deliberate self-parody. There was B movie charm all over it, just as there should be.

My favorite part of the game is the end of MK1, which is exactly the same as it was originally, only a bit more fleshed out. Most people never liked him, but I always thought Liu Kang was a badass. The most badass kung fu expert on earth, he beat up demons and shit and saved the planet. He was my main in MK3. I love the presentation in the new MK. When Liu Kang challenges Shang Tsung, it's so appropriately cheesy and epic. And when Raiden bows to Liu Kang. Awesome.

EDIT: ALSO, I love that it finally showed Quan Chi's involvement in the original trilogy. He was sort of retconnec in after MK3, but he's pretty much the main villain in the entire series, and he was given a lot of shit to do during the original games (and before) in his backstory for MK4 and MK: Mythologies. To see them worked into the original story just makes him feel more significant, which goes a long way towards establishing a really good villain. And it makes what's going to happen in the next MK seem less out of the blue, with more build up.

Well, what is gonna happen next? I really wanna know, because it would seem to be, uh...

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

I have my own appreciations for the story in part 5, but we've already been there, and not too long ago at that. I guess it would be cool to see a killer reinvention of the reviled MK4, but, good lord. They've got one hell of an overhaul ahead of them. It's almost masochistic to follow up such a successful retelling of the original trilogy by diving right into rebuilding arguably the worst game of the series.

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

That's the thing
    Everyone's dead, so how in the hell is Shinnok going to be stopped? I just hope they don't bring back the Orderrealm stooges. I hated all 3 of those guys. Havik is alright, but I'll gladly give his cool moves to Meat and call it a day.

Really, I don't mind most of the new characters, but there's a few plot lines I hope we never see.

The Red Dragon/New Black Dragon: Aside from Mavado's hookshots, I'd be just as happy to never see Mavado, Hsu Hao, Kira and Kobra ever again
    Orderrealm/Chaosrealm: Again, aside from Havik being pretty cool, I'd be please as punch to never see Dariou, Darrius and Hotaru again.

I'm iffy about seeing the Dragon King again. If they could do the storyline better, then I'd be down for it. He was ALMOST the glue that held MK5/6/7 together.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Soul Calibur's evil now? I just skipped every cutscene myself lol

Mortal Kombat intrigues me, but I really have too much on my plate right now to really justify importing right now. Thanks for the recommendation though. Great writeup, TSR.

EVOL on
  • Options

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

That's the thing
    Everyone's dead, so how in the hell is Shinnok going to be stopped? I just hope they don't bring back the Orderrealm stooges. I hated all 3 of those guys. Havik is alright, but I'll gladly give his cool moves to Meat and call it a day.

Really, I don't mind most of the new characters, but there's a few plot lines I hope we never see.

The Red Dragon/New Black Dragon: Aside from Mavado's hookshots, I'd be just as happy to never see Mavado, Hsu Hao, Kira and Kobra ever again
    Orderrealm/Chaosrealm: Again, aside from Havik being pretty cool, I'd be please as punch to never see Dariou, Darrius and Hotaru again.

I'm iffy about seeing the Dragon King again. If they could do the storyline better, then I'd be down for it. He was ALMOST the glue that held MK5/6/7 together.

Yes, yes he was. My opinion is that they should've spent 6 foreshadowing him more and not actually unveiling him until 7. Instead it was more like:

MK5: He could be coming. We don't know.

MK6: I'M HERE AND I- *explodes*

MK7 wasn't even really a true Mortal Kombat to me. It was that inevitable 'all in' game that had to happen, kind of like MK Trilogy was back in the day. A deluxe edition tied to no particular storyline.

• Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    I'm gonna say the next MK won't even be a retelling of the later games in the series and they will just start from scratch.

• Options
    All I know is, I'd love to know what they're planning.

We probably won't get to know until sometime in 2013, though.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The actual sword, or the series? I thought Soul Calibur was the "good" sword

The sword. Basically while Soul Edge wants to devour souls and shit, Soul Calibur wants to lock everything in stasis.

• Options

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

That's the thing

Yes, yes he was. My opinion is that they should've spent 6 foreshadowing him more and not actually unveiling him until 7. Instead it was more like:

MK7 wasn't even really a true Mortal Kombat to me. It was that inevitable 'all in' game that had to happen, kind of like MK Trilogy was back in the day. A deluxe edition tied to no particular storyline.

Except it had a storyline and that storyline is canon (Namely it lead to Shao Kahn becoming all super powerful and beating the snot out of Raiden, forcing Raiden to send his message back in time kicking off the new timeline in the modern Mortal Kombat.)

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh god, Soul Calibur V's story mode backslided badly. Soul-fucking-Calibur is evil, and the main heroine fetishizes weak williled, timid females, and Pat is a douche. Just get online and don't look back.

I wonder who at Namco decided that whole "Make your own character and throw them through a few story mode options" shtick was stupid. And that it should be replaced with that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I completely hate SC5's story mode.

Honestly, I wish they would just take what they did in SC3 and keep doing it.

• Options

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

That's the thing

Except it had a storyline and that storyline is canon (Namely it lead to Shao Kahn becoming all super powerful and beating the snot out of Raiden, forcing Raiden to send his message back in time kicking off the new timeline in the modern Mortal Kombat.)

When I say MK 7, I meant Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

The Mortal Kombat from 2011 is, technically, MK9, I think.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd live to see the day of people discussing the story merits of Mortal Kombat. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

That's the thing

When I say MK 7, I meant Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

The Mortal Kombat from 2011 is, technically, MK9, I think.

Yes. Everything I said was in reference to Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

Quick recap of Armageddon: shit be wack because there's too many kombantants tearing up the realms, so the elder gods, have predicted this would happen, enact a failsafe: a bigass pyramid comes out of hte ground, with a powered-up Blaze at the top and whoever beats Blaze gets their hearts desire granted.

Mortal Kombat 9 uses this as the basis for the begining, in that Shao Kahn reached the top and defeated Blaze, giving him his hearts desire of being all powerful. Queue him beating the shit out of Dark Raiden and Dark Raiden sending a message back in time to his younger self. If you watch the opening to MK9 again, you'll see it's based on the Pyramid from MK7.

I mean, compare the opening to MK7
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIIkCTcoPU

To the opening to MK9
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnWfoPz1LHM

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd live to see the day of people discussing the story merits of Mortal Kombat. :)
    Try reading it with some of the earlier quotes hidden and skimming making you think it was mario kart

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Try reading it with some of the earlier quotes hidden and skimming making you think it was mario kart

Mario Kart has a more coherent story than Mortal Kombat.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Outworld Vs Mushroom Kingdom
    The Mushroom Kingdom has already won 9 Mario Kart tournaments in a row!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »

He Must Win.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

He Must Win.

Okay I'd buy that.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    MK 9 has a surprisingly fun singleplayer, but I don't know about best.

World Tour mode from SFA3 or even the interesting SSBB story mode outdoes it for me.

You know, I don't often agree with you, but when I do I something something witty from a Dos Equis commercial.

World Tour mode was fantastic and it's sort of hard to find people nowadays who even remembered it existed.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    MK 9 has a surprisingly fun singleplayer, but I don't know about best.

World Tour mode from SFA3 or even the interesting SSBB story mode outdoes it for me.

You know, I don't often agree with you, but when I do I something something witty from a Dos Equis commercial.

World Tour mode was fantastic and it's sort of hard to find people nowadays who even remembered it existed.

I still have my memory card with all my world tour saves on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I do too, though my SFA3 has long since been stolen by "friends" who were desperate for anything to pawn for drug money. Oh well.

It was always fun tanking my maxed-out Dan up against Shin Akuma and wiping the floor with him.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

Well.

MK4, 5, and 6?

And...
    everyone's dead
    , right?

I'd imagine that, from here on out, the story will only vaguely resemble MK4. The whole point of the reboot was to give them a new start, free of all the bullshit the game series had become inflated with. I doubt most of that stuff if coming back. I could see what was originally a short, one-game story from MK4 turning into something the length of the entire new MK.

As for where the story can go, and the end of MK:
    Everyone is dead, but they're under the control of Quan Chi now, who owns their souls. Think of them sort of like Scorpion. The old MK cast will come back in the next game as the villains, while the new people from MK4 will become the new heroes.

I also expect scorpion finding out what happened with Quan Chi and his clan will be made essentially the big plot point of the game

So yeah, they have room to work with. I don't expect them to remain faithful to the other games, though, because, for the most part, a lot of the fan base didn't pay that much attention to the later stories or characters anyways.

• Options
    Everyone is dead, but they're under the control of Quan Chi now, who owns their souls. Think of them sort of like Scorpion.

So they're turning their entire cast into ninjas?

Brilliant

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Everyone is dead, but they're under the control of Quan Chi now, who owns their souls. Think of them sort of like Scorpion.

Brilliant

At least they know their audience

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

Brilliant

More like specters

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the heroes are pretty much...
    Jonny Cage, Sonya and Raiden.
    Though you might be able to count Kenshi among them as well.

Everyone else is dead/bad guy.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Someone posted a nice light-on-spoilers synopsis a few pages back when I asked. I think it boiled down to "all your choices through 3 games really mean nothing, Pick A, B, or C to continue on for your ending".

...that's it? Considering the massive amount of work it takes to make one ending, much less several with multiple options, this might be a case of inflated expectations. Hell, I'm just impressed some of the decisions of the first Mass Effect are affecting my war preparations.

...but I guess I'll find out for myself when I finally get there.

Not really. That's only part of it. It's a bad ending from just about every angle. I think I heard someone compare it to one of the Star Trek movies ending with the ending to 2001. It just felt really out-of-place and horrible, on top of the A/B/C choice thing (honestly that was probably the *least* offensive part of the whole thing).

The people getting refunds and all that kind of thing are being real geese about it, but it is by far a legitamately bad ending. It almost goes out of its way to spit on everything you've experienced over the last three games.

The worst part is that the rest of the game is *so good* that it's just baffling that the ending isn't even close to that quality.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I should really go into my local GAME, see if there are some bargains floating about.
    Ailing UK retailer Game Group has suspended trading of its shares pending "clarification of the company's financial position".

In a statement, the board said that the company's value had been eroded.

"The Board now considers itself to be unable to assess the business's financial position, and is of the opinion that there is no equity value left in the Group."

"Therefore the company has requested that the listing of its securities on the Main Market of London Stock Exchange plc be suspended from trading with effect from 07:30 today."

A further update has been promised in due course.

According to a Financial Times report, a number of industry experts believe that up to 300 UK and Ireland stores of the group's current 600 base could be shuttered. Charles Stanley Securities analyst Peter Smedley said that 300 closures was “a plausible number for the dominant player in the UK”.

The company's shares closed at 2.39p on Tuesday, 62p down year-on-year. At their lowest, shares reached just half a penny following reports that Game had put itself up for sale.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/game-group-share-trading-suspended

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

He Must Win.
    Instead of throwing a shell, you stab a guy?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Aaaaand there it is. Good luck to anyone on the boards who works for GAME.
    Following its suspension of share trading this morning, UK retailer Game has filed for administration.

"Further to this morning's announcement of the suspension of trading in shares of GAME Group plc, the board has concluded that its discussions with all stakeholders and other parties have not made sufficient progress in the time available to offer a realistic prospect for a solvent solution for the business,” a statement from the company explains.

“The board has therefore today filed a notice of intention to appoint an administrator."

The statement goes on to say that the company will continue to trade in the short term and that discussions with lenders and third parties are ongoing.

The announcement falls in line with unconfirmed reports that Game Group intends to shutter its Game brand and open a new company on Monday.

Edge's thoughts are with the staff affected by today's events.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/game-group-files-administration

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Well, I mean you can't really be surprised about that. Was going to happen sooner or later.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well, I mean you can't really be surprised about that. Was going to happen sooner or later.

Pretty much. Losing one big name game just caused them to lose more, with zero chance to make things better.

Meanwhile, the WoW team admits the obvious.
    While WoW is still the world's largest subscription MMORPG and once held as many as twelve million subscribers, Activision Blizzard revealed last month that the number has fallen to 10.2 million, down 100,000 from November 2011.

In a new interview, WoW producer John Lagrave has confirmed that the decline is at least partially attributable to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

"We certainly do look at [where WoW players go], and we have a very smart bunch of guys who do our analytics for us," Lagrave told Eurogamer. "Of course people are trying Star Wars; our development team are trying Star Wars! I'm one of the few people who's still playing it, actually. But yeah, we've seen a dip in subs. It certainly has to at least be attributable to The Old Republic, but it's also attributable to people who want to wait and get Mists of Pandaria, so it's not surprising."

Lagrave added that WoW players also left the game after the release of Skyrim, though that shift didn't cause a subscription drop.

World of Warcraft is currently free-to-play until level 20. Lagrave noted that increasing the level cap for the trial is "absolutely on the table," but "right now, no."

"Right now we're very happy with the subscription system with World of Warcraft," he said. "We think it works very well."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/122/1221217p1.html

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Of course people are trying Star Wars; our development team are trying Star Wars! I'm one of the few people who's still playing it, actually.

Nice back handed comment there.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Scumbag Gamers:

Complain endlessly about "Sequelitis"

Give infinity dollars to a hojillion Kickstarter sequel projects.

:P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Scumbag Gamers:

We want different stuff and the same stuff and we want it yesterday! And with multiplayer.

488W936.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

Scumbag Gamers:

Man, can you imagine the entitled outrage if any of these Kickstarted games comes with an ending that fails to please every single person who donated?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, but if a game hasn't had a sequel for 10 years, it's a little different than a game having a sequel every year or every other year, yes? I understand you're being snarky, but still. Bit of a difference.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Yeah, but if a game hasn't had a sequel for 10 years, it's a little different than a game having a sequel every year or every other year, yes? I understand you're being snarky, but still. Bit of a difference.

Took the words out of my mouth.

I mean, most gamers these days don't even know who "Tex Murphy" is.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
This discussion has been closed.