As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    so has anyone successfully disarmed a phantom in mp?
    I just spent 20 minutes shooting at stasis'ed phantoms only to *not* see the sword spinning out of their grasp.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Except for that reporter lady on my ship. What the hell?

Yeah, can we direct some outrage at this, or something? Shake things up?

Am I the only one that thinks she looks really weird? Uncanny Valley maybe. Also, should have been Emily Wong.

She's trying to snuggle chestnuts for the winter news in her cheeks or something.

Other than that she didnt really bother me, it was just a little odd. Little bit out of place is all.

jAhPU.jpg
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Rent wrote: »
    Also:

snip

It's weird that @Ben Kuchera is being such a whiner about Bioware changing the ending. You'd think that, being a game journalist and all, he'd have experience writing bad fiction nerds disagree with.

I dont find it suprising.

Honestly, he's the reason I stopped reading Ars Technica in the first place because he was often a whiny twat and I virtually never agreed with anything he said about games. I was really disappointed with the PA Presents announcement and just try to ignore that it exists. Given how he responded to the ending stuff to begin with, him being a child over this isn't surprising at all.

Hate to say it, as I used to really enjoy him at Ars, but you're correct. In his last few years at Ars, he was getting increasingly whiny, almost to the point where I actively avoided his posts. I was hoping he'd be different coming over to PA, but it appears nothings changed.

That said, both sides of this debacle have people who are being childish, so I can't fault him too much.

Well to be honest, I kinda can fault him for that. Because in theory he's a "professional journalist", rather than some fanboy with a blog. In theory. But if he's just going to act and speak like every other fanboy, what makes him a journalist at all?

Like I said in the other thread, if this debacle has taught us anything, it's that game "journalists" are terrible.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    @Vicktor I was disappointed Diana Allers ended up not being terribly interesting.

I just heard her talking to one of my crew in the lobby, and I couldn't stand her voice. She was still on the station.

She's nothing but fanservice. Heck,
    after the first interview in Shepards quarters you get the option to hit on her. Then there's her look of course, which obviously is supposed to be sexy. I just think she's way out of proportion. Voice acting? What acting? Sounds really amateur.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    I honestly never thought they would do something to address the ending, but I am pleasantly surprised. All in all, I thought the statement was sufficiently apologetic, though I am a little amazed they actually thought they put out quality endings. I would genuinely love to hear what the writers think about this whole situation.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Ben Kuchera is certainly not the only dude who writes about video games who has come off as snide during this whole thing, but he has been one of the more prominent people, which has been disappointing.

The Giant Bomb guys actually had a really reasonable discussion about it last night, which I was impressed with.

Have you seen their reactions to the latest statement about clarifying the ending though?
    Alex: But seriously, @BioWare, way to weather the storm and stand by your creative vision, or what the fuck ever.
    Kessler (granted not an actual GB guy but still) BioWare sends a clear message with this announcement; our game and our ideas don't matter. The consumer's dollar is all that matters.
    Jeff: Fuck that. Case closed, damage done. Can't unsee the awful dream sequences, can't unring the bell, so on, so forth.
    Ryan: BOO BIOWARE. FUCKING BOOOOOOOOOO

Bioware has begun their very own Kobyashi Maru simulation.

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    If the geth were also space gypsies, they'd be intolerable.

Oh god chobots face makes those horrifying flesh balls in reality too.

Yeah, they really needed to tone that down. It doesn't look bad on her but on her digital version it's about all I can see.

steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    tehkensai wrote: »

Am I the only one that thinks she looks really weird? Uncanny Valley maybe. Also, should have been Emily Wong.

She's trying to snuggle chestnuts for the winter news in her cheeks or something.

Other than that she didnt really bother me, it was just a little odd. Little bit out of place is all.

Yeah she didn't bug me. Though I'm not sure who gave the go ahead on the slinky dresses for ME3 since they all look terrible and not flattering at all.

She was just entirely pointless, is all. I mean, she literally did nothing. She was just another person for Shepard to get busy with.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• NeliNeli Registered User regular

Yeah she didn't bug me. Though I'm not sure who gave the go ahead on the slinky dresses for ME3 since they all look terrible and not flattering at all.

She was just entirely pointless, is all. I mean, she literally did nothing. She was just another person for Shepard to get busy with.

Actually if you answer the two longer interviews she can give you it adds to your war assets

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »

Her face is modelled after Jessica Chobot, an IGN reporter bim4ya.jpg

Jessica Chobot also happens to be the voice for the character

She also happens to have no talent for voice acting :)

Ignoring that though, the character herself is weirdly pointless. Like, she has almost no dialog. You try to talk to her and it goes to "Hey, do you want to throw me off your ship yet?"

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rent wrote: »
    but seriously everyone here should read the PA report from ben kuchera about the bioware ending haters

i don't even really like the mass effect series and it pissed me off from how smug and douchey it was

Yeah I know. Maybe we should talk about Enslaved so it feels more right. :lol:
    <.<
    I didn't know what to think about Ben Kuchera before that. Now I know!

I find it super humorous that he tried to insist the people within Bioware would take the backlash as a compliment. Guy literally has no idea. The concept of a developer that thrives on people dumping on them is laughable. They don't exist.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    @Vicktor I was disappointed Diana Allers ended up not being terribly interesting.

I just heard her talking to one of my crew in the lobby, and I couldn't stand her voice. She was still on the station.

She's nothing but fanservice. Heck,
    after the first interview in Shepards quarters you get the option to hit on her. Then there's her look of course, which obviously is supposed to be sexy. I just think she's way out of proportion. Voice acting? What acting? Sounds really amateur.

She looks like a sad cartoon turtle in game. I wish i has GIS at work to show you.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    She only bothered me insofar as she's not Emily Wong, who even if it was a punchy one, you've made a relationship with over the first 2 games.

camo_sig2.png
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    One thing I wish had happened with TIM:
    ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Oh you tease.

That would have been incredible.
    Get him to the end, talk him down and when he's about to go all Saren with a gun to his head, out comes the glowy eyes and burned flesh and Harbinger laughing at you in his booming voice, for thinking you had won
    I would have liked to have seen a little more story about how the IM went so far off the rails that he actually told the Reapers about the catalyst, then went to the Citadel and managed to get Reaper tech implanted in him. I mean he was nuts and an asshole, but he ended up in a really bad place really quickly. Wouldn't have taken much either, really just a few convos with him over the course of the game with him talking about all the awesome Reaper tech he'd been gathering and experimenting with; because playing with Reaper tech pretty much always ends in tears.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I can pretty easily ignore the psychopathic fans, including the geese who want to burn down BioWare and the geese who want to burn down those guys, but journalists acting like BioWare is betraying some core principle by responding to fan concerns in a constructive way? They are the silliest geese to ever honk, and I hope that in time they come to realize it.

dN0T6ur.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I think the very end of the game was kind of sucky and nonsensical. But I also subscribe to the idea that the game in its entirety was the ending of the series, and it was 95% fantastic. I get that some people REALLY didn't like it. But it's starting to feel like Bioware is in the center of a study on fanaticism or something.
    People here are bitching that that statement wasn't sorry enough, didn't commit enough to a new ending. In other areas people are freaking out because they see the statement as them implicitly caving to demands to change the ending and if they don't care to stick by their artistic guns then why should they give a shit about their work anymore.

Absolutely ridiculous bullshit.

*sigh* I still haven't completed the game... stupid project implementations.

While I haven't gotten there yet, I kind of hope that the ending works in a way that ends the series. Having defeated a galactic tier threat what more is there left to do in the ME verse? Another galactic threat? :| A Galactic Civil War storyline a la expanded universe? (PLEASE NO)... just saying, it's okay for things to end.

Well, it does give you that sort of closure.

Unfortunately, a lot of fans are pretty bent out of shape about that part of it too (but honestly...it's stuff they've been hinting at since ME1. That portion of the ending is decent.)

I see. Well, I think I should be able to end it tonight! Then I too can join the nerd-rage train... or something.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I almost feel like ME3 ought to have two threads. A single player thread, and a MP thread.

I only say this because whenever talk turns to single player stuff my eyes glaze over and I'll skip entire pages until I spot MP discussion again.

I had the exact same thought myself. There's easily enough discussion of it to survive as it's own thread.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Ben Kuchera is certainly not the only dude who writes about video games who has come off as snide during this whole thing, but he has been one of the more prominent people, which has been disappointing.

The Giant Bomb guys actually had a really reasonable discussion about it last night, which I was impressed with.

Have you seen their reactions to the latest statement about clarifying the ending though?
    Alex: But seriously, @BioWare, way to weather the storm and stand by your creative vision, or what the fuck ever.
    Kessler (granted not an actual GB guy but still) BioWare sends a clear message with this announcement; our game and our ideas don't matter. The consumer's dollar is all that matters.
    Jeff: Fuck that. Case closed, damage done. Can't unsee the awful dream sequences, can't unring the bell, so on, so forth.

I swear to christ this ending is the gift that just keeps giving.

Wheres my michael jackson popcorn gif at?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Something about the way Bioware has been doing skin textures on a lot of their face-scanned people just doesn't work out. It's kind of visible in Miranda, and it's really apparent in Diana Allers - Jessica Chobot just doesn't look that bad. I have to think that part of it is that they don't get the color-tone of the skin quite "right".

But also I agree that what she wears just looks weird as well.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular

For a reporter she looked horribly ... i dont know... dumpy. Like she was trying to hard to show her chest off but couldn't be bothered to use some freaking hair conditioner. That being said she also was really under utilized as a game device. I really was expecting more from here seeing as you had the option to tell her to get the hell off my ship.

• mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular

Well, they had this position on the Bombcast last night and though I disagreed with it they were at least understanding of people who had the opposite opinion.

I didn't take issue with people holding a different opinion than my own, I took issue with people attacking the people who disagreed with them. The GB guys, I think, did fine in that regard.

Note that Ryan hasn't actually finished the game, also.

steam_sig.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I think the very end of the game was kind of sucky and nonsensical. But I also subscribe to the idea that the game in its entirety was the ending of the series, and it was 95% fantastic. I get that some people REALLY didn't like it. But it's starting to feel like Bioware is in the center of a study on fanaticism or something.
    People here are bitching that that statement wasn't sorry enough, didn't commit enough to a new ending. In other areas people are freaking out because they see the statement as them implicitly caving to demands to change the ending and if they don't care to stick by their artistic guns then why should they give a shit about their work anymore.

While I haven't gotten there yet, I kind of hope that the ending works in a way that ends the series. Having defeated a galactic tier threat what more is there left to do in the ME verse? Another galactic threat? :| A Galactic Civil War storyline a la expanded universe? (PLEASE NO)... just saying, it's okay for things to end.

Unfortunately, a lot of fans are pretty bent out of shape about that part of it too (but honestly...it's stuff they've been hinting at since ME1. That portion of the ending is decent.)

I see. Well, I think I should be able to end it tonight! Then I too can join the nerd-rage train... or something.

My advice to you is to remember that elevators are the true enemy of the Mass Effect series.

So just be ready whenever you see one.

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    I am very amused at this. Continue please!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

My advice to you is to remember that elevators are the true enemy of the Mass Effect series.

So just be ready whenever you see one.

Indeed.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Yeah but a ton of internet people are treating this whole thing as though it's some meta-battle against DLC or what the fuck ever.

Whereas I have a positivist policy of being happy to run with whatever retcons someone does if it greatly improves things. Like, I kind of want Bioware to remove the "heat sinks" codex entry for weapons, and just pretend they were always using heat sinks, because it's less plotholey.

The other thing is, all the people saying "99% of the game was great, who cares about the ending" don't really have a leg to stand on in regards to this type of thing either: (and 99% of the game was great) - if 99% of the game justifies its purchase price, then who the fuck cares if the ending changes with paid DLC.

I sure don't.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

BioWare can't win for losing. If they keep the ending as is, they keep their "artistic integrity" in tact to keep people like Giant Bomb happy...but they piss off paying fans. If they change the ending to please paying fans, they lose their "artistic integrity" and we get the constant hipster bullshit about selling out to the man.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Oh you tease.

Get him to the end, talk him down and when he's about to go all Saren with a gun to his head, out comes the glowy eyes and burned flesh and Harbinger laughing at you in his booming voice, for thinking you had won
    I would have liked to have seen a little more story about how the IM went so far off the rails that he actually told the Reapers about the catalyst, then went to the Citadel and managed to get Reaper tech implanted in him. I mean he was nuts and an asshole, but he ended up in a really bad place really quickly. Wouldn't have taken much either, really just a few convos with him over the course of the game with him talking about all the awesome Reaper tech he'd been gathering and experimenting with; because playing with Reaper tech pretty much always ends in tears.

The Reaper tech implants happened earlier. We see a video of this when we're in his base, where it foreshadows that there is something severely wrong with him

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

I totally expected that to happen as well.

I was all prepared to take Bioware to task for reusing the ending of ME1. I think that it would have garnered them far less grief if they actually did.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't know this will probably get me hate but
    The more I think about it the more I think there should be some kind of happy ending, they seem to have forgotten the sweet part of bittersweet

The entire rest of the game is just crushingly depressing, all the little subplots, everything it's just so fucking weighty. Then the ending feels like the end to the Mist, but it's poorly written to boot.

The reapers win no matter what you do, Harbinger was right it was inevitable. Might as well have given up and taken the Normandy to some beach planet off the beaten path and kicked back until the end came. The only ending that isn't depressing is the synthesis one, and that one doesn't make logical or thematic sense (what is all inert material alive now? In the entire galaxy?

That's like saying MGS4 should have been a happy game to have been a good game. Given the job of wrapping up 20+ YEARS of story telling, it was also the most horribly depressing game in the series with the exception of one or two bright spots near the end. And they weren't THAT bright.

I like the fact that most of ME3 is spent fighting total despair. Because that's what you do when fighting evil mecha gods.
    Yeah but you're fighting for the people alive right now, and since I pretty much fucked them all over, personally, in my ending.

Welp, might as well have just let the reapers win, it was kind of pointless to disregard sovereign's warnings of inevitability. The other endings where shep dies are contrived as shit. Shep doesn't die in a "heroic sacrifice" shep dies because the plot decided this is where shepard dies. If shep had died with anderson when the crucible was activated, it would have worked better

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »

BioWare can't win for losing. If they keep the ending as is, they keep their "artistic integrity" in tact to keep people like Giant Bomb happy...but they piss off paying fans. If they change the ending to please paying fans, they lose their "artistic integrity" and we get the constant hipster bullshit about selling out to the man.

True, but having a reputation for responding to fan complaints means you sell more games in the future, which is more important that maintaining some kind of aloof hipper-than-thou image in the eyes of GiantBomb.

Of course, it also means you get more complaints in future, but that's beside the point. I'm still unfinished (and unspoiled somehow!) on the single-player because I keep getting distracted by MP, but the reaction to the ending has been... extreme. I doubt you'll see a reaction like this again unless the next Xbox comes with revolutionary pooping-on-your-chest technology.

Taramoor on

Yeah but a ton of internet people are treating this whole thing as though it's some meta-battle against DLC or what the fuck ever.

Whereas I have a positivist policy of being happy to run with whatever retcons someone does if it greatly improves things. Like, I kind of want Bioware to remove the "heat sinks" codex entry for weapons, and just pretend they were always using heat sinks, because it's less plotholey.

The other thing is, all the people saying "99% of the game was great, who cares about the ending" don't really have a leg to stand on in regards to this type of thing either: (and 99% of the game was great) - if 99% of the game justifies its purchase price, then who the fuck cares if the ending changes with paid DLC.

I sure don't.

I have to say I was pretty happy that you can import a character into ME3, make them any class you want and change their look (and I was able to import one character face, but not the other. Glitchy but it works sometimes, anyway), and they didn't waste time making up a plot to make it 'plausible'. :^:

Cambiata wrote: »

I sure don't.

I have to say I was pretty happy that you can import a character into ME3, make them any class you want and change their look (and I was able to import one character face, but not the other. Glitchy but it works sometimes, anyway), and they didn't waste time making up a plot to make it 'plausible'. :^:

For what it's worth, I thought it fit into the ME2 plot really well. I don't think there was really room to make up something here, so yeah, glad they didn't come up with something completely stupid.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Retconning in response to fan feedback is an advantage of the medium. I certainly don't think Bioware is destroying the auteur by potentially tweaking a (mostly) poorly received closure to their trilogy. I'm all for it. I'd actually think it was brilliant if Bioware indoctrinated us all by indoctrinating Shepard...like...so meta dude.

I mean...does anyone really think Ben Reilly should be Spider-Man? Sometimes a creator wants to respond to the backlash. Art is never complete; it's abandoned..or whatever.

Now if I can just convince Stephen King to fix the Dark Tower series...

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Neli wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

Oh you tease.

The Reaper tech implants happened earlier. We see a video of this when we're in his base, where it foreshadows that there is something severely wrong with him

Now I definitely have to do another run through the ending sequence. Damnit.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

I totally expected that to happen as well.
    Thought I'd already typed this, but this would have been awesome - if in the ending for Paragon Jesus Shep -
    After you convince TIM that he is wrong and he goes to shoot himself, his eyes burn yellow and you hear Harby speak, then the body points the gun at you and you fire taking it out.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »

I sure don't.

For what it's worth, I thought it fit into the ME2 plot really well. I don't think there was really room to make up something here, so yeah, glad they didn't come up with something completely stupid.

Well yes, I agree with you.

For all the hate that 'Shepard coming back to life' got, the beginning of that game grabbed me right from the start and made me excited to play, made me feel like anything could happen. I can't really say the same for ME1 or ME3.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    When the game I'm working out one day comes out and somehow turns me into a game dev super star, I look forward to being able to say things like 'artistic integrity' to hide behind my suspect creative choices.

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I just learned Phantoms can instant-kill you out of Nova.

You learn something valuable every day.

G Rol wrote: »
    Retconning in response to fan feedback is an advantage of the medium. I certainly don't think Bioware is destroying the auteur by potentially tweaking a (mostly) poorly received closure to their trilogy. I'm all for it. I'd actually think it was brilliant if Bioware indoctrinated us all by indoctrinating Shepard...like...so meta dude.

I mean...does anyone really think Ben Reilly should be Spider-Man? Sometimes a creator wants to respond to the backlash. Art is never complete; it's abandoned..or whatever.

Now if I can just convince Stephen King to fix the Dark Tower series...

Honestly it's been done before even in movies. From what I understand, later versions of Highlander 2 removed all the crazy "Highlanders are aliens" crap.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    So much for artistic integrity. Sheesh.

9KmX8eN.jpg
This discussion has been closed.