As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect]: Victory & Commendation Packs out! Mark ALL spoilers or BANSHEES!!

• Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Ben Kuchera is a smug asshole on twitter.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Neli wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »
    Vicktor wrote: »
    Except for that reporter lady on my ship. What the hell?

Yeah, can we direct some outrage at this, or something? Shake things up?

Am I the only one that thinks she looks really weird? Uncanny Valley maybe. Also, should have been Emily Wong.

Her face is modelled after Jessica Chobot, an IGN reporter bim4ya.jpg

Jessica Chobot also happens to be the voice for the character

She also happens to have no talent for voice acting :)

Ignoring that though, the character herself is weirdly pointless. Like, she has almost no dialog. You try to talk to her and it goes to "Hey, do you want to throw me off your ship yet?"

She has a ton of dialogue after basically every mission. She usually just doesn't talk to you, but instead to the crew or is making an announcement for her show.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    About the reporter chick. I was hoping to be able to see some broadcasts. Like after every major plot, I could go to her and see what she was broadcasting about it. With clips of me killing Reapers and shit.

I was sad.

But we did bang. So thats cool.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    G Rol wrote: »
    Retconning in response to fan feedback is an advantage of the medium. I certainly don't think Bioware is destroying the auteur by potentially tweaking a (mostly) poorly received closure to their trilogy. I'm all for it. I'd actually think it was brilliant if Bioware indoctrinated us all by indoctrinating Shepard...like...so meta dude.

I mean...does anyone really think Ben Reilly should be Spider-Man? Sometimes a creator wants to respond to the backlash. Art is never complete; it's abandoned..or whatever.

Now if I can just convince Stephen King to fix the Dark Tower series...

That is exactly how I feel about the whole artistic integrity argument. Moreover, this is just good bushiness on bioware's part and at the end of the day, I have no doubt that is what they really care about.

kaz67 on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    So much for artistic integrity. Sheesh.

Thanks, Obama. Preorder cancelled! I'm tired of all these motherfucking ninjas eating my motherfucking cereal!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »

Am I the only one that thinks she looks really weird? Uncanny Valley maybe. Also, should have been Emily Wong.

Ignoring that though, the character herself is weirdly pointless. Like, she has almost no dialog. You try to talk to her and it goes to "Hey, do you want to throw me off your ship yet?"

She has a ton of dialogue after basically every mission. She usually just doesn't talk to you, but instead to the crew or is making an announcement for her show.

Huh, I found it much easier to miss interesting conversations in this game. The first two games really conditioned me to click on someone, and then if no dialogue wheel started up, to move on. A lot of the dialogue in this game doesn't involve the same shift from movement to talk mode.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    One thing I was disappointed with was...
    ...the missed opportunity with indoctrination (assuming that whole indoctrination ending theory is untrue). I was really expecting one of my squadmates to get indoctrinated or be revealed to have been indoctrinated for quite some time as a big twist or something. Instead, they only used it on people that were already assholes (Udina, TIM), when really, those guys were better off just being assholes on their own and saying they were indoctrinated lessened them in my opinion.

Heck, how great would it have been if they really did indoctrinate (or "Assume Direct Control" of) Shepard in the ending, and the only way to stop the Reapers from using your body to do something terrible (ie. Fire the Catalyst at the Fleet or something) is to Renegade Interrupt yourself and blow your brains out? That's a decision that would give people pause and get them discussing whether or not they had the heart to do it or not. Especially if it was some last ditch spiteful effort of Harbinger who was already in the process of dying (so if you don't off yourself, you'll be released from the control shortly, but only after you've done whatever horrible thing he was trying to make you do). Could you willingly pull the trigger on the character you spent years building to stop something horrible? (and decide to do it before the prompt disappears, assuming this was your first run and you didn't expect it to happen)

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    So much for artistic integrity. Sheesh.

Yeah especially since going back and fixing shit made Blade Runner so terrible. Oh wait.

Artistic integrity is moot if the art is shit to begin with, as is the case here.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

That's not really what I've found. She has dialog after *some* missions, but way fewer than the rest of the crew. Also it's usually not anything funny or interesting like the rest of the dialog.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    ...the missed opportunity with indoctrination (assuming that whole indoctrination ending theory is untrue). I was really expecting one of my squadmates to get indoctrinated or be revealed to have been indoctrinated for quite some time as a big twist or something. Instead, they only used it on people that were already assholes (Udina, TIM), when really, those guys were better off just being assholes on their own and saying they were indoctrinated lessened them in my opinion.
    Was Udina indoctrinated? I was under the impression that he was just convinced by Cerberus that the only way humanity was going to be saved was if he let the Illusive Man seize control of the Reapers. I mean, it's a pretty compelling argument that the organization you're not particularly fond of in the first place is going to let your home planet get destroyed to save themselves.

• Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

New DLC I can understand, but new games?
    Regardless of the ending chosen, Galactic civilization as we knew it for the last three games is over. What can the new game be about?
    Discussing it with a friend, we decided that the Quarian and Turian fleets around Earth would have to team up (since the Lifeships are the only ships set up to grow appropriate foods, and the Quarians are at least used to living in ships), which sounds like a decent TV show pitch. A rag-tag fleet traveling the galaxy in search of a shining planet known as... Rannoch.
    well the idea of an MMO had been thrown around a few years back shortly after me2's release.

Aside from that ..
    Thing is, with all that reaper/relay debris lying around I would guess that the civilisations will build their own gates and take it from there.
    Earth as the new seat of galactic power. Due to vast depopulation by reapers galaxy largely unpoliced outside of major trade hubs.
    economic prosperity and opportunity going hand in hand with large lawless frontiers.

There's loads you could do with that.
    Except, everybody is dead. Civilization has collapsed. I am honestly not sure that BW fully grasps this, but that's the set up they've given us at the end of the game. Galactic civilization is in ruins to begin with, and now all trade has been terminated. Everyone the reapers didn't get is starving, and those who are left are going to be at the loincloths and pointed sticks level. Three gets you five that when they decide they want to return to the universe, they'll paper over this, but that's what it comes to; that's the place they left the story.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular

Heck, how great would it have been if they really did indoctrinate (or "Assume Direct Control" of) Shepard in the ending, and the only way to stop the Reapers from using your body to do something terrible (ie. Fire the Catalyst at the Fleet or something) is to Renegade Interrupt yourself and blow your brains out? That's a decision that would give people pause and get them discussing whether or not they had the heart to do it or not. Especially if it was some last ditch spiteful effort of Harbinger who was already in the process of dying (so if you don't off yourself, you'll be released from the control shortly, but only after you've done whatever horrible thing he was trying to make you do). Could you willingly pull the trigger on the character you spent years building to stop something horrible? (and decide to do it before the prompt disappears, assuming this was your first run and you didn't expect it to happen)

We know from the first game
    that bullets through the brain don't stop that sort of thing, they just let the Reaper possessing you go really nuts

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Huh, I found it much easier to miss interesting conversations in this game. The first two games really conditioned me to click on someone, and then if no dialogue wheel started up, to move on. A lot of the dialogue in this game doesn't involve the same shift from movement to talk mode.

I liked how they didn't lock you down in this one, but yea... a lot of the conversations are easy to miss or accidentally end too soon by triggering the next conversation.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

Yes, basically 70% of all crew dialogue happens outside of "talking mode".
    After every mission I did I went through the whole ship and talked to everyone until they kept repeating the same sentence over and over.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Bioware has begun their very own Kobyashi Maru simulation.
    I am very amused at this. Continue please!

Mainly I'm just picturing Ray's chair exploding underneath him as reactions pour in ala Spock's in Wrath of Khan.

Poor guys, you know there has to be a few folks in development who just want to shout I told you that ending was a bad idea at someone.

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    So I just learned Phantoms can instant-kill you out of Nova.

You learn something valuable every day.

Yes, ive learned this the hard way with atlas's as well. Banshes as well Im willing to bet at this point. Melee range just gets super risky once those bad girls show up.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    About the reporter chick. I was hoping to be able to see some broadcasts. Like after every major plot, I could go to her and see what she was broadcasting about it. With clips of me killing Reapers and shit.

I was sad.

wait

you romanced her?

you are literally the first person I have seen who has done so

mainly because all the other romances are so much better

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also that MMOs are a curse you inflict on good stories when you want them to die, and I hope there is never ever a Mass Effect MMO.

MMOs really need to be their own unique IPs.

• Options
    games are commodities.

• Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    kaz67 wrote:
    G Rol wrote: »
    Retconning in response to fan feedback is an advantage of the medium. I certainly don't think Bioware is destroying the auteur by potentially tweaking a (mostly) poorly received closure to their trilogy. I'm all for it. I'd actually think it was brilliant if Bioware indoctrinated us all by indoctrinating Shepard...like...so meta dude.

I mean...does anyone really think Ben Reilly should be Spider-Man? Sometimes a creator wants to respond to the backlash. Art is never complete; it's abandoned..or whatever.

Now if I can just convince Stephen King to fix the Dark Tower series...

That is exactly how I feel about the whole artistic integrity argument. Moreover, this is just good bushiness on bioware's part and at the end of the day, I have no doubt that is what they really care about.

Yeah, I didn't even take into account the business angle. I'd love to know the DLC "attach rate" for New Ending content.

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Matrias wrote: »

I didn't really know who the guy was so I gave him a shot. After all the articles he finds for The Cut are usually interesting. But as a writer/human being himself? He is rubbing off as a big freaking *redacted* Goose with ego to match. I seriously feel like hes purposely trolling all of us on this Mass Effect stuff.

Blood Drive on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

I was sad.

wait

you romanced her?

you are literally the first person I have seen who has done so

mainly because all the other romances are so much better

I assume that it counts in a different way than say the main romances do, like Kelly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    118q8ee.jpg

More confirmation, if ya'll needed it.

Lets hope they're not talking about a post-end comic

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    I loved how you could just feel how that horrifically ugly character of hers was walking around with a freaking lake between her legs in the presence of my Shepard.
    It was amazingly satisfying to tell her that there'll never be any chance of her getting a piece of dat Shepard.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

I didn't really know who the guy was so I gave him a shot. After all the articles he finds for The Cut are usually interesting. But as a writer/human being himself? He is rubbing off as a big freaking *redacted* Goose with ego to match. I seriously feel like hes purposely trolling all of us on this Mass Effect stuff.

What I'm really hoping for is for Bioware to really buckle down and follow the process that made the rest of the game great, and write something awesome for a new ending DLC. Like The Shadow Broker, but for a new ending. And then to watch as the smug fanboys who call themselves journalists hem and haw and begrudgingly admit that the new ending is great, but it should have never happened anyway even if it's great because ART.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    jamesra wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new Mass Effect content and new full games, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will, continue.

New DLC I can understand, but new games?
    Regardless of the ending chosen, Galactic civilization as we knew it for the last three games is over. What can the new game be about?
    Discussing it with a friend, we decided that the Quarian and Turian fleets around Earth would have to team up (since the Lifeships are the only ships set up to grow appropriate foods, and the Quarians are at least used to living in ships), which sounds like a decent TV show pitch. A rag-tag fleet traveling the galaxy in search of a shining planet known as... Rannoch.
    well the idea of an MMO had been thrown around a few years back shortly after me2's release.

Aside from that ..
    Thing is, with all that reaper/relay debris lying around I would guess that the civilisations will build their own gates and take it from there.
    Earth as the new seat of galactic power. Due to vast depopulation by reapers galaxy largely unpoliced outside of major trade hubs.
    economic prosperity and opportunity going hand in hand with large lawless frontiers.

There's loads you could do with that.
    Except, everybody is dead. Civilization has collapsed. I am honestly not sure that BW fully grasps this, but that's the set up they've given us at the end of the game. Galactic civilization is in ruins to begin with, and now all trade has been terminated. Everyone the reapers didn't get is starving, and those who are left are going to be at the loincloths and pointed sticks level. Three gets you five that when they decide they want to return to the universe, they'll paper over this, but that's what it comes to; that's the place they left the story.
    That would be true if...
    ...the inferred holocaust had any basis to it. Which it doesn't. FTL still exists, and is fast enough to take care of all but the most fringe worlds. Which will have to look out for themselves.
    I don't know. If the fuel capacity on the Normandy is any indication then ships in the ME universe don't carry enough to go very far without a relay. Unless the fuel isn't for FTL, but the distance between stars at sub-FTL would take a looooooong time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Zzulu wrote: »
    118q8ee.jpg

If their DLC is post-game content that smooths over the endings warts, I can live with that.

(I bet they contradict the ending a little)

Matrias on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

We know from the first game
    that bullets through the brain don't stop that sort of thing, they just let the Reaper possessing you go really nuts
    Admittedly I only just came up with the idea when I was typing that someone good should have been indoctrinated (squadmate, Joker, Anderson, whoever) when the Shepard idea came to mind.

In regards to the bullet to the brain not stopping Saren, in this scenario Harbinger is in the process of dying. When Sovereign went really nuts with Saren it apparently required a whole lot since his shields and everything went down. So I guess in this scenario the idea would be Harbinger wouldn't have the power to go nuts like that since he's moments from death and has a fleet blasting him and all.

• Options
    118q8ee.jpg

"Love Interest cutscene DLC: See your love interest in a flashback for 3 seconds! No more blueberry taking over your thoughts!" 9.99$

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    118q8ee.jpg

I can live with that.

(I bet they contradict the ending a little)

I can live with that, too.

• Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote:

What I'm really hoping for is for Bioware to really buckle down and follow the process that made the rest of the game great, and write something awesome for a new ending DLC. Like The Shadow Broker, but for a new ending. And then to watch as the smug fanboys who call themselves journalists to hem and haw and begrudgingly admit that the new ending is great, but it should have never happened anyway even if it's great because ART.

This.

There are so many different directions they could go with post ending DLC...and that doesn't necessarily need to include a "new ending". I'm stoked to see what they come up with (assuming it's playable, and not a slideshow; that'd be a super bummer).

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    jclast wrote: »
    She only bothered me insofar as she's not Emily Wong, who even if it was a punchy one, you've made a relationship with over the first 2 games.

Emily Wong is on Earth when the Reapers hit. There is a twitter feed: Alliance News Network telling about what happens to her.
    It does not end well. Reapers land in the middle of a LA Dodgers game and reap the entire 50k crowd.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Mass Effect 4 confirmed:

qznp1h.jpg

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Now my next greatest fear is they'll fuck up the new content like they fucked up the ending.

I don't have that blind optimism I used to have for Mass Effect. :(

• Options
    Killing Emily Wong on twitter was DUMB.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about that.

ME2 and ME3 spoilers
    Jack and Morinth are the clear winners for "something bad happens to them."

Garrus - no event if dead
    Grunt - dies in ME3 if not loyal, replaced if dead
    Jack - becomes a Phantom if you skip Grissom Academy, replaced if dead
    Jacob - no event if dead
    Kasumi - no event if dead, minor differences if not loyal
    Legion - replaced if dead, appears as an enemy in Cerberus Base if sold to TIM
    Miranda - no idea if she's dead. dies if not loyal / did not give assets.
    Mordin - multiple ways to resolve Tuchanka means he's probably worth keeping around
    Morinth - Banshee on Earth
    Samara - can let her commit suicide, then kill her daughter
    Tali - replaced if dead, will commit suicide if the Quarian fleet is destroyed
    Thane - replaced if dead (and if his replacement is dead too, the attempted assassination is successful)
    Zaeed - no event if dead

I can't imagine ME without Garrus. I'll probably keep Jack and Morinth for the "yikes" factor. I don't think I could shoot Mordin in the back, but I think I'll keep him by destroying the cure and killing Wrex. ...very tempted to let Tali live just so I can see the suicide bit, that sounds incredibly sad.

wait wait wait wait wait
    Jack can become a phantom and Morinth becomes a Banshee!? Whaaaa? Do we see this in some cutscene? I need to youtube that shit when I get home. Also, yes, Tali suicide is sad. Killing Legion on Rannoch is also sad. Checked 'em both on Youtube the other night.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

She went out like a boss.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

it was great

would have been nice to see her in game but the twitter thing was done very well

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    My only complaint about the twitter thing is that the ending went on too long.

Would have been perfect if it had ended on the "I love you" tweet

then

"Signal loss"

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Im skipping dragon age 3. thats for guddamn sure.
    I've been thinking about that.

ME2 and ME3 spoilers
    Jack and Morinth are the clear winners for "something bad happens to them."

Garrus - no event if dead
    Grunt - dies in ME3 if not loyal, replaced if dead
    Jack - becomes a Phantom if you skip Grissom Academy, replaced if dead
    Jacob - no event if dead
    Kasumi - no event if dead, minor differences if not loyal
    Legion - replaced if dead, appears as an enemy in Cerberus Base if sold to TIM
    Miranda - no idea if she's dead. dies if not loyal / did not give assets.
    Mordin - multiple ways to resolve Tuchanka means he's probably worth keeping around
    Morinth - Banshee on Earth
    Samara - can let her commit suicide, then kill her daughter
    Tali - replaced if dead, will commit suicide if the Quarian fleet is destroyed
    Thane - replaced if dead (and if his replacement is dead too, the attempted assassination is successful)
    Zaeed - no event if dead

I can't imagine ME without Garrus. I'll probably keep Jack and Morinth for the "yikes" factor. I don't think I could shoot Mordin in the back, but I think I'll keep him by destroying the cure and killing Wrex. ...very tempted to let Tali live just so I can see the suicide bit, that sounds incredibly sad.

wait wait wait wait wait
    Jack can become a phantom and Morinth becomes a Banshee!? Whaaaa? Do we see this in some cutscene? I need to youtube that shit when I get home. Also, yes, Tali suicide is sad. Killing Legion on Rannoch is also sad. Checked 'em both on Youtube the other night.

uhhhh
    Morinth is random. She can spawn at the monistary or earth. Whichever.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
This discussion has been closed.