As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 6: Mass Effect 3 DLC

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Extra Credits Season 4, Ep. 6: Mass Effect 3 DLC
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/mass-effect-3-dlc
This week, Mass Effect 3 gives us a chance to talk some more about DLC.

Mac is genuinely awesome in all ways. Keep up with his artwork on Facebook and Twitter.

Come discuss this topic in the forums!

Geth on

• Options
    syn7heticsyn7hetic Registered User new member
    The fact that some of the mass effect 3 DLC was on the disc was not even brought up, not sure why when it seems to be a important part of the problem?

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I bought the N7 collector's edition for one reason: I have a cool jacket what which I sewed a Half-Life lambda patch on, and I thought the N7 patch would be a badical addition. The art book is okay I guess, and the seriously postcard-sized lithograph is wtf, but I got mah patch. Mission accomplished. When I finally got around to firing the game up, I punched in the code inserts without really looking at them. Some exclusive gun or whatever I figured. Then this dang ~700mb content dropped on me. Compared to the other pretty lame bonuses (a postcard) this was dang exciting. From my perspective, it was a good thing.

I hope the guest artists pops into these forums so he might see that I think he hit it out of the park. That was very entertaining!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This was a great episode.

What I cannot wait for from these guys is the inevitable episode about the ending of ME3. Now that will be interesting.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    protogenxlprotogenxl NYC AreaRegistered User new member
    edited March 2012
    syn7hetic wrote: »
    The fact that some of the mass effect 3 DLC was on the disc was not even brought up, not sure why when it seems to be a important part of the problem?

I too think the on disc DLC for mass effect 3 is a major problem. As you can see here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8

The DLC is not a side-load package on the disc used to reduce bandwidth needs, it is fully integrated into the game and is disabled by two variables. This evidence tells us that at the very least an interesting plot device was locked for monetization.

Edit - Curse you Spellcheck

protogenxl on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    the hooks are there so the character works. It's a little surprising that character is there and "usable", but there's still the ~700mb download that contains the actual level you get him on, as well as dialog and the like.

I mean, suggesting they are making you download a 700mb file just have the appearance of it not being on the disc is a little crazy

• Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    Big ME fan, so I had the CE pre-ordered from Game.

Then I lost my pre-order thanks to that debacle, so I ordered from Origin instead. Couldn't see the point in spending something like £20 for the deluxe version in order to unlock a couple of outfits and the single DLC there and no physical goodies to play with. So played the game without Javik.

After completing the game, I found on Youtube exactly how integral he was to the story and that a lot of his statements about AI/EDI/Legion tie into the ending. Meaning that the terrible ending to the game is even worse without him.

Then that the DLC was on the disk, meaning that their justification for the extra cost and it being released as additional content (which could only be a fraction of the cost of the entire game) was a complete lie, this was just a grab for extra money by EA.

I think my internet empowered rage could only be expressed in a single word.

AAAAAAAAAARGRRHRHRHRBLAAAAAAAAAAARGLEENYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGFTAAAAAAANG.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    tolragtolrag Registered User regular
    The only real argument against it he has is the usual slippery-slope predictions that one day major game elements (like Legion) will be locked behind DLC. Which is as logical as all slippery-slope arguments are.

• Options
    Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular

Indeed. In fact, it actually goes AGAINST the whole "certification" argument, since in order to be on the final disc, it had to be there before at least most of the aforementioned lull.

The other thing that annoys me here is we are presented with a false dichotomy that either we get day 1 DLC or we don't get DLC, and that's simply untrue. Again, from their own example, Kingdoms of Amalur. Oh, and Army of Two. Oh, and the sequel to Army of Two. Oh, and Mass Effect 2. And that's four games just using examples THEY gave. 95% of the time? No, a sizable chunk of games get DLC without it being day 1. This is an example of proposing two alternatives that are not reflected in the real world.

Oh, and with Mass Effect 2 and several other games, they tied some DLC to soft drinks.

I can't help but feel EC was asleep at the wheel on this one.

I'm actually not against Day 1 DLC, either. but on-disc DLC isn't really DLC. And I'm against withholding story content. Apparently, the DLC character is fairly important. Also, I'm not against special edition DLC that others can buy at a premium, which is what this was supposed to be, provided it doesn't violate the first two. But bringing up the certification argument? Setting up fake alternatives? Bringing in a slippery slope about the future when the problems of the present aren't properly addressed? Was anyone paying attention?

Also, cross promotions aren't really bad, and it's worth noting all you miss out on by not playing the demos is some optional items themed for the other game. And if that breaks "immersion," there's a much bigger problem going on.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    original.png

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they didn't mention, say, street fighter x tekken with all its on-disk dlc. A lot of people make a big deal over it, but ive heard some good reasons for why its not a bad thing. Things like Dlc can be produced on a seperate budget specifically deisgnated for it, and in the case of multiplayer heavy games, the ability to ensure that everyone can play with each other without having to force people to download massive patches and updates. (if anyone remembers the problems with mortal kombat DLC, they know what im talking about)

Aaaas for me3, well, i cant say much since i don't really buy much dlc for single player games anyway.

PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    From what I understand, Kasumi and The Shadow Broker had hooks "on the disk" for ME2, as well. DLC that wasn't finished developing until weeks and months later. Not sure why this is supposed to make it worse somehow.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, I thought they were pretty clear on how you can get Day 1 DLC on the disk without it being rage-worthy. It's additional content that was developed after the game "went gold" and was totally out of their hands, but because it's just small stuff it is able to be developed, tested and validated while the gold copy is being validated.

...What part of that didn't make sense?

They incurred extra expense paying people for the DLC content after the game was "done", so they charge a bit extra for it to recoup those costs, and maybe even make a small profit on it. If they had instead moved everyone on to another project and/or layed them off for a while and then created the DLC as a seperate download a month later, they KNOW that less people would pay for it, even if it's the same quality as the on-disk DLC. And their costs are the same either way (or maybe slightly higher a month later, because it's tough to get the same team back together once they've gone their seperate ways, so you have to train some new people).

This was a very insightful episode, overall :^:

El Skid on
  • Options
    tolragtolrag Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    From what I understand, Kasumi and The Shadow Broker had hooks "on the disk" for ME2, as well. DLC that wasn't finished developing until weeks and months later. Not sure why this is supposed to make it worse somehow.
    There's two separate arguments from the on-the-disk crowd.

1/ It's ON the DISK! I OWN the DISK! It's MINE!

2/ It PROVES that this content was cynically taken out as a cash grab.

I don't find either one compelling, (1) is just childish, while (2) would still be a huge leap even if more than the very bare bones of the character was on the disk.

tolrag on
  • Options
    Fixer40000Fixer40000 Registered User regular
    The major argument was that this wasn't an additional bonus character like Kasumi. It was originally part of the game that was broken off and sold at an unreasonable price for more profit.

Kasumi and Zaeed weren't really as well integrated into the story as Javik. A lot of the things they did made them feel 'tacked on' in the main story because they hadn't written for them, other characters don't say anything in their missions because their voice actors weren't available. Their missions are completely involved though. Javik is completely integrated and in fact does a lot more than some of the other characters in your group.

He checks out the Citadel, he has long arguments with Liara, chats with other squad members, has something to say about the Prothean artefacts he deals with, has special interaction with some minor NPCs you have contact with.

This means that he wasn't some separate piece, he was deeply entwined within regular development. Pretty much every story in the game has him included. He's not an additional piece added in after the fact he's already there. The only thing that the DLC adds is the mission to pick him up.

The whole thing reeks more of a day one content patch that you have to pay for.

Have left PA forums.
    If this community believes that hating someone based soley upon their gender is acceptable and understandable, I have no interest in being a part of it.
  • Options
    Fixer40000 wrote: »
    The major argument was that this wasn't an additional bonus character like Kasumi. It was originally part of the game that was broken off and sold at an unreasonable price for more profit.

Kasumi and Zaeed weren't really as well integrated into the story as Javik. A lot of the things they did made them feel 'tacked on' in the main story because they hadn't written for them, other characters don't say anything in their missions because their voice actors weren't available. Their missions are completely involved though. Javik is completely integrated and in fact does a lot more than some of the other characters in your group.

He checks out the Citadel, he has long arguments with Liara, chats with other squad members, has something to say about the Prothean artefacts he deals with, has special interaction with some minor NPCs you have contact with.

This means that he wasn't some separate piece, he was deeply entwined within regular development. Pretty much every story in the game has him included. He's not an additional piece added in after the fact he's already there. The only thing that the DLC adds is the mission to pick him up.

All the characters had more dialog in this game. For ME2, Kasumi had no more or less squad dialog than anyone else. For ME3, the DLC squaddie (are we still spoiling what he is?) had no more or less squad dialog than anyone else.

He wasn't "deeply entwined" with the story, he just had some interesting flavor text. As a matter of fact, on my first playthrough I didn't even bring him very many places, because I was nostaligic and brought all my old bros with me everywhere instead. The dialog he has is fun, but so is the dialog between Garrus and Liara, or Garrus and Tali. (or Garrus and anyone really. Garrus is the broest of bros)

Someone I trust at Bioware said that the DLC wasn't developed until the game had been certified. In fact, what he said was that the content was to be scrapped entirely, until some people fought for it to be included somewhere, so they developed it for DLC instead, after the game went gold. As much as you want to make this a horrible crime against humanity, the reality is that it's Bioware giving you more content, and you complaining about getting that content.

• Options
    Faceless CowardFaceless Coward Registered User regular
    I think the horrible future predicted by James where DLC is tied to merch such as happy meals, 7-11 slurpees, and poorer quality games is already here.

IIRC, Mass Effect previously offered exclusive DLC redeemable by codes from Dr. Pepper and/or Mountain bottles and cans. The Uncharted Series had a download promotion at Subway. And I'm pretty sure Halo had something like that with 7-11.

A marketing promotion that VALVe pulls a lot is to offer exclusive items that you can get if you purchase a Steam copy of a certain game. A lot of times these are only available for a limited amount of time for brand new games, so with the heavy blustering market in TF2, gamers are pressured to buy brand new games at full price that they sometimes won't even play just to receive items.

newsigpa4xj.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    For the record, I am not against getting, like, a new costume for Garrus with my McDonald fries (or slurpee or what have ye). They indeed already did that with Dr. Pepper and ME2 anyway. They just have to avoid the appearance of holding important content ransom for the purchase of this extra stuff. I admit that they don't seem terribly interested in avoiding that appearance (whatever the reality of the situation is) right now.

Aurich on
  • Options
    gigabumsgigabums Registered User regular
    Fixer40000 wrote: »

All the characters had more dialog in this game. For ME2, Kasumi had no more or less squad dialog than anyone else. For ME3, the DLC squaddie (are we still spoiling what he is?) had no more or less squad dialog than anyone else.

He wasn't "deeply entwined" with the story, he just had some interesting flavor text. As a matter of fact, on my first playthrough I didn't even bring him very many places, because I was nostaligic and brought all my old bros with me everywhere instead. The dialog he has is fun, but so is the dialog between Garrus and Liara, or Garrus and Tali. (or Garrus and anyone really. Garrus is the broest of bros)

Someone I trust at Bioware said that the DLC wasn't developed until the game had been certified. In fact, what he said was that the content was to be scrapped entirely, until some people fought for it to be included somewhere, so they developed it for DLC instead, after the game went gold. As much as you want to make this a horrible crime against humanity, the reality is that it's Bioware giving you more content, and you complaining about getting that content.
    THE DLC IS ON THE DISC
    YOU CAN CHANGE TWO VARIABLES IN A TEXT EDITOR, AND THE DLC WORKS.
    SAME FOR THE COLLECTORS EDITION.

THE SHIT
    IS
    ON
    THE
    DISC

IT IS THERE

Now STOP defending a company that fucking CONNED us.

• Options
    Just because the content is on the disk (which I have not scene confirmed by anyone reliable, but whatev) doesn't mean that content wasn't developed in excess of the ordinary development process. Extra people may have been brought onto the team, people on the team may have worked more billable hours, or the content may have been developed by an entirely different team. All those people need to be paid. If that be the case, you have to pay for it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, uh. I'm of the opinion that locking content ond disk is fine. Seriously. It's gonna be held back as DLC either way, I'd much rather it be sitting on disk waiting for a couple kb for an unlock than have 700mb+ to download on day one. So acting like it being on the disk is the ultimate god damn evil is silly, imo.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, uh. I'm of the opinion that locking content ond disk is fine. Seriously. It's gonna be held back as DLC either way, I'd much rather it be sitting on disk waiting for a couple kb for an unlock than have 700mb+ to download on day one. So acting like it being on the disk is the ultimate god damn evil is silly, imo.

Except that this DLC did have to have a 700mb+ download. The bare assets of the DLC character were there, apparently, but not the entirety of the character. Not this "entwined" business, where all his scenes are on the disk; they aren't. So people screaming like babies that it is a con are... well, screaming like babies.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    gigabumsgigabums Registered User regular

Except that this DLC did have to have a 700mb+ download. The bare assets of the DLC character were there, apparently, but not the entirety of the character. Not this "entwined" business, where all his scenes are on the disk; they aren't. So people screaming like babies that it is a con are... well, screaming like babies.
    Having cracked the game. (Which was not a 700mb download) and received the collector stuff and the DLC character I can safely say.
    Fuck you.

Now before you get up in arms about cracking: I legally bought the game, but Origins is spyware.

• Options
    I'll ignore your unnecessary language to say: I'm not doubting that you got the character. I'm doubting that you got his mission or his squad dialogue/cutscenes. Did you?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    My biggest issue with the day one dlc is who the character was and what that means for the story, because it is a big deal (or was to me). Zaeed and Kasumi and whatever aren't.

• Options
    Even assuming you did crack the game and aren't just eThuggin' it, that doesn't change the fact that unlocking content already on a (any!) disk is not necessarily wrong. Also, Dark Raven X said, even if they were going to con you, the other option is to make you pay for it and download it. Disk-locked content is at worst more convenient.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That video posted earlier is terrible

Skips right after changing a few variables to a 5 second demo in a mission

Never mind about the squad dialogue or mission to acquire him

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This topic is so volatile that I'm avoiding engaging in it directly. But I have on comment on the actual dialog I've seen going on regarding the topic:

The only people who should be speaking matter-of-factly about this are people who are in, or have been in, the development side of video games for companies as large as Bioware / EA. Because video games are a fucking business and businesses have multiple departments and schedules and funding and all sorts of shit going on that I can't even pretend to label with any accuracy. All I know is, as a blue-collar worker, corporations are big mechanical things. So too are video game corporations.

• Options
    teknoarcanistteknoarcanist Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who doesn't buy DLC? Ever? It's not even a principle thing; I don't think I've ever even consciously thought of it before. I just realized now that I don't buy it.

I wonder what that means.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ditto. I've only paid for DLC when it's in some ridiculous Steam sale bundle.

So maybe it means you're cheap?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I've never purchased DLC. The couple that came with my game (ME2, DA:O) were great, but once I've finished a game....I'm finished with that game. I don't really need added in stuff. There are too many full games still competing for my attention at that point.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Javik is seriously not important to the story one bit. He is integrated well into the game, moreso than Kasumi and Zaeed were. But he does not play a key role in any part of the story. Even the relatively forgettable James Vega does more in the main plot than he does. What Javik actually provides is lots of interesting flavor, and new perspectives on things, which is exactly how it should be.

You literally do not miss out on any of the plot without having him.

And just because the character model and abilities are on the disc, making him useable in combat with a hack, doesn't mean that the entire bulk of the DLC is. With the way he is integrated into the game it is obvious they had him in mind during development of the core game, which would mean they would have a chunk of content ready to put on the disc. Might as well do so, I'd rather have the 600 Meg download we got instead of a gig or more that we could have got.

It makes sense to try and get your first DLC pack out ASAP. The longer you wait, the bigger the chances are that many players will have finished with the game and moved on. Personally, I didn't play any of the ME2 DLC up until a few weeks ago because of this. I'm usually not playing the same game one month later, let alone three, six, twelve, etc.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I haven't purchased much DLC but that has everything to do with owning few games that allow for it. I buy micro-transaction stuff plenty enough though, so as soon as I get a new computer (and thus play more recent games) I'll probably be all-the-fuck-over DLC. As long as it's worthwhile. Case to case basis. Rather than condemning all DLC just because it has a pricetag.

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    protogenxl wrote: »

I too think the on disc DLC for mass effect 3 is a major problem. As you can see here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8

The DLC is not a side-load package on the disc used to reduce bandwidth needs, it is fully integrated into the game and is disabled by two variables. This evidence tells us that at the very least an interesting plot device was locked for monetization.

Edit - Curse you Spellcheck

Because DLC integration doesn't always work the way we think it does:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gcijat

• Options
    ArvetisArvetis Registered User new member
    No, no, no, NO. So disappointed with the Extra Credits guys on this one. They've done some great stuff in the past, but this is a major thing to drop the ball so badly on. This kind of passive acceptance is going to cost gamers dearly in the future.

• Options
    They're not passively accepting anything; they're informing people who could probably use informing. At any rate, outside of not buying the DLC, I don't know what kind of impassivity a complainer could hope for. The "problem" is that people want and are willing to pay for the content.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Can you people please get some fucking avatars? These are really great points you are making but its hard as hell to tell you apart!

I come from an era when DLC was called expansion packs so all this is a little foreign. I personally feel that a purchase is only worthwhile if I can get a great deal of enjoyment from it in a REASONABLE amount of time. But what is reasonable?

• Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Arvetis wrote: »
    No, no, no, NO.

Computer, freeze program! COMPUTER!!

I don't have a problem with this DLC. I see it as being no different than the expansion packs I bought for some of the games I have played.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    I've only played about 3 hours of the first Mass Effect (before a disk crash, so I lost my savegame), but I have the first two games on Steam.
    Is there any DLC that's good/important/worthwhile in the first two games, or should I just play through the main games?

• Options
    izzybizzyb AdelaideRegistered User regular
    Arvetis wrote: »
    No, no, no, NO. So disappointed with the Extra Credits guys on this one. They've done some great stuff in the past, but this is a major thing to drop the ball so badly on. This kind of passive acceptance is going to cost gamers dearly in the future.
    Extra Credits is great when its explaining how things work, but like so much of the gaming media, it seems their more frequent interaction with the industry rather than viewers slants their agenda when they wander into the realm of opinion.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lol, more, accurate data is not a slant. The viewer goes "oh yeah, EA is a big evil company, they just want to milk me for money!" The guys at Extra Credits probably actually know people who work up ins EA, or places like it. Their agenda is sharing that perspective with the viewer. To the viewers benefit.

Aurich on