As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help, I've drowned my Iphone!

LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm ill, chucking up, and my Iphone flew out of my pocket and landed in - yes, you've guessed it- the loo. Its now sitting in a bag of dried rice cos that's what I remember lewieP doing with his phone when it fell in the bath, but I also know he was able to take the battery out of his. Have I totally broken my phone, is there anything else I should do? Thank you!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Did you turn it off right away?

Other than the rice, that's it. Hope. Pray. And get well soon.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I do hope you value your own health above that bloody phone's.

The bag of rice was a good idea. Apple devices have a thing in them that changes color when it gets wet so their techs will know if it has been submerged at some point.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I would have removed the sim-card and maybe used a dryer on low to try and get rid of some of the water before doing the rice thing. What you can do now is wait for at least 2-3 days and then if you're lucky it will work. If it's work there is a risk it will not live nearly as long as before the little mishap.

You may want to consider a CAT B10 or some other durable replacement.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    It wasn't turned on, it was just in my jumper pocket and yes, I do value my health, but having no job any more, replacing a phone will be a challenge! I know about the blue/pink colour change, I just want it to work again!

• Options
    @BlindZenDriver that looks a lovely phone, but sadly beyond my current budget! (no job, on sickness benefits, eking out my poxy redundancy as long as possible...)

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    If your iPhone does not recover, you could try your luck at an Apple Store. I've heard stories of water-damaged iPhones being replaced before. Ask nicely; there's nothing to lose!

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    physi_marc wrote: »
    If your iPhone does not recover, you could try your luck at an Apple Store. I've heard stories of water-damaged iPhones being replaced before. Ask nicely; there's nothing to lose!

Do follow this advice. Even if they won't replace it for free, they may offer you a replacement (essentially a refurb) for much less than the cost of a new phone.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Failing everything else, put it in the airing cupboard for as long as you can be without it, at least two days. Then hope like hell.

• Options
    Thanks everyone, guess I'll just sit tight and leave it in the rice til the weekend.

Lock please!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Apple has a policy where they will replace any iPhone no questions asked once in the first year (ie water damage or broken screen). After that it's one year or regular warranty.

They will replace a phone regardless of condition after that but for a fee, it varies from region to region. At that stage you need decide whether or not it worth replacing or buying another phone.

If it works, and its in the first year, try and replace it regardless. There will probably be minor corrosion that will make long term issues.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Apple has a policy where they will replace any iPhone no questions asked once in the first year (ie water damage or broken screen). After that it's one year or regular warranty.

They will replace a phone regardless of condition after that but for a fee, it varies from region to region. At that stage you need decide whether or not it worth replacing or buying another phone.

If it works, and its in the first year, try and replace it regardless. There will probably be minor corrosion that will make long term issues.

When I went into the Apple store, the guy told me they don't replace phones for water damage. He checked mine out before replacing it, too. Also, it's only a 1 year warranty I was told. You then get 90 days with the replacement or the rest of your year, whichever is longer.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That's what I meant sorry.

You have standard one year warrenty that will fix defects that are apple's fault.

You also get one free replacement due to your own fault.