As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Pirate Bay to become Sky Pirates?

spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filledRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
You can't make this stuff up.
TPB LOSS
We were down a few hours earlier today. There's no need to worry, we haven't been raided this time. We're only upgrading stuff since we're still growing.

One of the technical things we always optimize is where to put our front machines. They are the ones that re-direct your traffic to a secret location. We have now decided to try to build something extraordinary.

With the development of GPS controlled drones, far-reaching cheap radio equipment and tiny new computers like the Raspberry Pi, we're going to experiment with sending out some small drones that will float some kilometers up in the air. This way our machines will have to be shut down with aeroplanes in order to shut down the system. A real act of war.

We're just starting so we haven't figured everything out yet. But we can't limit ourselves to hosting things just on land anymore. These Low Orbit Server Stations (LOSS) are just the first attempt. With modern radio transmitters we can get over 100Mbps per node up to 50km away. For the proxy system we're building, that's more than enough.

But when time comes we will host in all parts of the galaxy, being true to our slogan of being the galaxy's most resilient system. And all of the parts we'll use to build that system on will be downloadable.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120319/01045818152/pirate-bay-claims-its-going-to-host-site-via-drones-flying-over-international-waters.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2117535/The-Pirate-Bay-plans-use-robot-drone-planes-file-sharing-service-running.html

I don't know if the technology is realistic, but if this really happens, it will be fascinating to see how global authories react. I wonder if they would be classified as terrorists or attacked by eco groups for flying around over the ocean all the time, or if this could actually work and lead to them being left alone (this seems unlikely to me, but it anything is possible).

spacekungfuman on

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    TPB LOSS
    We were down a few hours earlier today. There's no need to worry, we haven't been raided this time. We're only upgrading stuff since we're still growing.

One of the technical things we always optimize is where to put our front machines. They are the ones that re-direct your traffic to a secret location. We have now decided to try to build something extraordinary.

With the development of GPS controlled drones, far-reaching cheap radio equipment and tiny new computers like the Raspberry Pi, we're going to experiment with sending out some small drones that will float some kilometers up in the air. This way our machines will have to be shut down with aeroplanes in order to shut down the system. A real act of war.

We're just starting so we haven't figured everything out yet. But we can't limit ourselves to hosting things just on land anymore. These Low Orbit Server Stations (LOSS) are just the first attempt. With modern radio transmitters we can get over 100Mbps per node up to 50km away. For the proxy system we're building, that's more than enough.

But when time comes we will host in all parts of the galaxy, being true to our slogan of being the galaxy's most resilient system. And all of the parts we'll use to build that system on will be downloadable.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120319/01045818152/pirate-bay-claims-its-going-to-host-site-via-drones-flying-over-international-waters.shtml

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2117535/The-Pirate-Bay-plans-use-robot-drone-planes-file-sharing-service-running.html

I don't know if the technology is realistic, but if this really happens, it will be fascinating to see how global authories react.

My normal ambivalence towards Pirate Bay's relationships with digital rights is currently being beaten to death by just how fucking awesome that is.

This would be the best court case ever. "You don't have jurisdiction over a HORDE OF TINY SKY ROBOTS!"

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't not love the idea.

And also it sounds like it'd be a great thing to deploy for Arab Spring type events.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i love how they have turned saying fuck you to everybody into their mission

obF2Wuw.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2012
    i love how they have turned saying fuck you to everybody into their mission

I agree. If you are taking steps like this, it isn't just about sharing free music and movies online. This is about proving to the world that piracy is inevitable, because companies can't do anything to stop sky robots.

edit: And if the sky robots get shot down, their next step is probably broadcasting from the moon. If they really go through with the drone plan, then if nothing else, they have proven the futility of trying to stop them.

spacekungfuman on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Flying robots.

This is why piracy is awesome.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's shit like this that reminds me that we're on the cusp of that future we've grown up dreaming of. Goddamn that is hardcore.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Seriously if TPB could find a way to start an underground kickstarter where I could use a prepaid visa to send them money to build this setup, I would, in a heartbeat.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The only thing that can take on sky pirates are bears in planes.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    TPB LOSS

I don't know if the technology is realistic, but if this really happens, it will be fascinating to see how global authories react. I wonder if they would be classified as terrorists or attacked by eco groups for flying around over the ocean all the time, or if this could actually work and lead to them being left alone (this seems unlikely to me, but it anything is possible).

I can't even tell if this is a joke anymore but I love it

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    They're going to need a place to re-fuel and repair those drones. Clearly this calls for an airship.

I'd love to see them use something like the Iron Vulture

weapons04.jpg

but something like the Pandora is probably more realistic.

CS_Pandora1.jpg

BubbaT on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So they're going to be deploying a network of communication drones that:

1. Resembles the sort that might be used by a terrorist group or hostile power.
    2. Is illegal enough to shoot down without people complaining, but presents no direct threat if some are missed.
    3. Can be tested through a publicly accessible interface.
    4. Costs the people who would be shooting them down nothing to deploy.

Someone in the military is probably in a good mood right now.

jothki on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ok, Pirate Bay.

You have become the very coolest of international law breakers.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Clearly the governments of the world will need to deploy their own robots to shut down piracy, and then when the drones realize the source of piracy is humans they will attack pirates directly, then when they identify ideas as having been stolen from a previous idea, they'll start attacking all content creators except the simpsons, who invented everything period

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Guys...

This is skynet

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Clearly the governments of the world will need to deploy their own robots to shut down piracy, and then when the drones realize the source of piracy is humans they will attack pirates directly, then when they identify ideas as having been stolen from a previous idea, they'll start attacking all content creators except the simpsons, who invented everything period

Oh you're talking about SDI. No, not that one. This one.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Now I'm imagining some kind of...I dunno. Some kind of system that tracks the migrating robot drones. Even though it totally wouldn't be required, I'm seeing a rather dramatic scene where people are looking out their windows and setting up wifi receivers as hundreds of glittering bits of machinery trail through the night sky, deploying information into the waiting audiences below.

Drones, then. Just keep them away from my wind farms, and we're square.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    skyrates

Vanguard wrote: »
    Guys...

This is skynet

... OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    skeptical_dog1.jpg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So they're going to be deploying a network of communication drones that:

1. Resembles the sort that might be used by a terrorist group or hostile power.
    2. Is illegal enough to shoot down without people complaining, but presents no direct threat if some are missed.
    3. Can be tested through a publicly accessible interface.
    4. Costs the people who would be shooting them down nothing to deploy.

Someone in the military is probably in a good mood right now.

(1) also applies to every satellite in space, and I don't see governments shooting those down. Even ones launched by "bad" countries.

(2) could be solved by deploying them above international waters, or in the airspace of a friendly (read: bought off) country. An foreign attack in sovereign airspace is an act of war.

That would also tie into (4). Would the US be willing to bomb other countries over piracy?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    This seems like nonsense. Isn't this kind of thing incredibly expensive?

Lh96QHG.png
    One of the articles I read talked about the how this technology is becoming cheaper.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular

This seems like nonsense. Isn't this kind of thing incredibly expensive?

It's getting much, much cheaper with current technology. The raspberry pi is only about $30 and those drones are sub $200 a piece. The problem is constantly replacing them as they crash or storms carry them off...

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Well that's my point. This isn't a one time expense, and somehow I doubt that The Pirate Bay has the infrastructure to keep it running while maintaining its current price structure.

Lh96QHG.png
    Well that's my point. This isn't a one time expense, and somehow I doubt that The Pirate Bay has the infrastructure to keep it running while maintaining its current price structure.

I'm obviously not their CFO, but something tells me they're not hurting for money when they are one of the most visited ad supported sites on the internet.

Also piracy is a business like anything else. They're not "anonymous"... someone's making money there.

I'm just saying they can afford the tech, or they wouldn't broadcast it. TPB isn't known for a lot of bullshit in their blogs.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I'm obviously not their CFO, but something tells me they're not hurting for money when they are one of the most visited ad supported sites on the internet.

Also piracy is a business like anything else. They're not "anonymous"... someone's making money there.

I'm just saying they can afford the tech, or they wouldn't broadcast it. TPB isn't known for a lot of bullshit in their blogs.

I remember a while back Google proposed providing free internet to rural areas with what were essentially weather balloons, and they would have paid $100 as a reward to anyone who returned one. Maybe something like this could work, unless of course they really are all flying over the ocean.

If you think about it, this isn't really all that different from pirate radio stations. That is, if you discount the flying robots.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    World’s First Flying File-Sharing Drones in Action

A few days ago The Pirate Bay announced that in future parts of its site could be hosted on GPS controlled drones. To many this may have sounded like a joke, but in fact these pirate drones already exist. Project “Electronic Countermeasures” has built a swarm of five fully operational drones which prove that an “aerial Napster” or an “airborne Pirate Bay” is not as futuristic as it sounds.

wudWW.jpg

In an ever-continuing effort to thwart censorship, The Pirate Bay plans to turn flying drones into mobile hosting locations.

“Everyone knows WHAT TPB is. Now they’re going to have to think about WHERE TPB is,” The Pirate Bay team told TorrentFreak last Sunday, announcing their drone project.

Liam Young, co-founder of Tomorrow’s Thoughts Today, was amazed to read the announcement, not so much because of the technology, because his group has already built a swarm of file-sharing drones.

“I thought hold on, we are already doing that,” Young told TorrentFreak.

Their starting point for project “Electronic Countermeasures” was to create something akin to an ‘aerial Napster’ or ‘airborne Pirate Bay’, but it became much more than that.

“Part nomadic infrastructure and part robotic swarm, we have rebuilt and programmed the drones to broadcast their own local Wi-Fi network as a form of aerial Napster. They swarm into formation, broadcasting their pirate network, and then disperse, escaping detection, only to reform elsewhere,” says the group describing their creation.

In short the system allows the public to share data with the help of flying drones. Much like the Pirate Box, but one that flies autonomously over the city.

“The public can upload files, photos and share data with one another as the drones float above the significant public spaces of the city. The swarm becomes a pirate broadcast network, a mobile infrastructure that passers-by can interact with,” the creators explain.

One major difference compared to more traditional file-sharing hubs is that it requires a hefty investment. Each of the drones costs 1500 euros to build. Not a big surprise, considering the hardware that’s needed to keep these pirate hubs in the air.

“Each one is powered by 2x 2200mAh LiPo batteries. The lift is provided by 4x Roxxy Brushless Motors that run off a GPS flight control board. Also on deck are altitude sensors and gyros that keep the flight stable. They all talk to a master control system through XBee wireless modules,” Young told TorrentFreak.

“These all sit on a 10mm x 10mm aluminum frame and are wrapped in a vacuum formed aerodynamic cowling. The network is broadcast using various different hardware setups ranging from Linux gumstick modules, wireless routers and USB sticks for file storage.”

For Young and his crew this is just the beginning. With proper financial support they hope to build more drones and increase the range they can cover.

“We are planning on scaling up the system by increasing broadcast range and building more drones for the flock. We are also building in other systems like autonomous battery change bases. We are looking for funding and backers to assist us in scaling up the system,” he told us.

Those who see the drones in action (video below) will notice that they’re not just practical. The creative and artistic background of the group shines through, with the choreography performed by the drones perhaps even more stunning than the sharing component.

“When the audience interacts with the drones they glow with vibrant colors, they break formation, they are called over and their flight pattern becomes more dramatic and expressive,” the group explains.

Besides the artistic value, the drones can also have other use cases than being a “pirate hub.” For example, they can serve as peer-to-peer communications support for protesters and activists in regions where Internet access is censored.

Either way, whether it’s Hollywood or a dictator, there will always be groups that have a reason to shoot the machines down. But let’s be honest, who would dare to destroy such a beautiful piece of art?

http://torrentfreak.com/worlds-first-flying-file-sharing-drones-in-action-120320/

Even these ones, at roughly $2000 a pop, are well within the range of a garage enthusiast. Hell, me and my buddy have been talking about making an autonomous drone or sub for fun and research for a while now. Only thing that's stopping me is he's down in SoCal for college and I'm unemployed at the moment, that'll probably change in a month or two. With the warchest that TPB's always been rumored to have, and the shittons of money they have to be making off of ads, I can see how they could pull this off.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • JelloJelloJelloJello Registered User regular
    I thought that PirateBay was sold to some corporation over a year ago and there was fear that this company was going to shut the site down and/or log users, et cetera. The site clearly seems to have stagnated since this sale (if indeed there was a sale).

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This thread needs more Skies of Arcadia. My brother loves Pirate Bay, he's just gonna eat this up.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    JelloJello wrote: »
    I thought that PirateBay was sold to some corporation over a year ago and there was fear that this company was going to shut the site down and/or log users, et cetera. The site clearly seems to have stagnated since this sale (if indeed there was a sale).

wut
    140 global rank and 87 US rank on alexa does not stagnation make....

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Talk about cloud computing snrrk

Seriously this is crazy cool. On par with Sealand.

Oh brilliant
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Put me in the "wanna see this used by protesters and activists" column.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the first flaw I can see is power. Keeping a drone in the air takes power, and constantly transmitting information (which will be needed to be a useful hub) takes power as well. I see from one of the articles in this thread that they will be battery-powered. So what happens when the battery runs out? Do you have staff people running to them to replace the battery (ridiculously expensive and impractical if the drones are deployed world-wide, not to mention that making the drones traceable to find them in this scenario defeats the whole "untraceable network" purpose that underlies this project)? Do you allow them to crash (dangerous to public safety) or self-destruct (pollution)? Or do you program them to use their last bit of power to land safely (no danger or pollution, but eventually people will find them, someone will hack one, and the whole network could potentially be compromised)?

sig.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    cad-20120321-00fe7.png

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cool, but I have to wonder how they'd deal with bad weather and keeping them charged, unless they're not intending to keep the swarm flying 24/7.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    News update: RIAA approaching Russian Government over purchase and training in S-300 system.

• SoralinSoralin Registered User regular
    JelloJello wrote: »
    There was someone who claimed they wanted to buy it, but nothing ever happened, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate_bay#Failed_acquisition

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Yeah, the first flaw I can see is power. Keeping a drone in the air takes power, and constantly transmitting information (which will be needed to be a useful hub) takes power as well. I see from one of the articles in this thread that they will be battery-powered. So what happens when the battery runs out? Do you have staff people running to them to replace the battery (ridiculously expensive and impractical if the drones are deployed world-wide, not to mention that making the drones traceable to find them in this scenario defeats the whole "untraceable network" purpose that underlies this project)? Do you allow them to crash (dangerous to public safety) or self-destruct (pollution)? Or do you program them to use their last bit of power to land safely (no danger or pollution, but eventually people will find them, someone will hack one, and the whole network could potentially be compromised)?

Couldn't they just attach solar panels to the weather balloons?

• OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    There have been a lot of test with solar powered UAVs, like big ultra light flying wings covered with solar panals that drive several small motors and charge batteries for the night. The idea was to do something like have atmospheric sensors airborn for years at a time for NOAA or something similar. Fly very high to avoid weather/clouds, and just fly in preprogramed paths/actions so you dont need a operator controlling it all the time. Thats what this sounds like to me just with a small server as payload instead of cameras/other sensors.