As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 03/21/12: A Distinct Lack of Quips

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Graphic Violence
Batman #7, Bruce and Dick have a talk:
batman2-7a.jpg
That Talon is Dick's great-grandfather, brought back to life by the Owls. Dick yells at Bruce for closing himself off (again).....

batman2-7e.jpg

batman2-7f.jpg

Uncanny X-Men #9 is readable again! And a team-up with the Avengers. Really dense story, a nice solid superhero issue and Protector shows up more in this issue than he did in the Avengers for the last six months:

xmenuncanny2-9a.jpg

xmenuncanny2-9b.jpg

xmenuncanny2-9c.jpg

TexiKen on

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Amazing Spider-Man 682 Spider-Man shows off some new "inspired" gadgets (also probably some foreshadowing about how Ends of the Earth will end)
    iBveo.jpg
    Also he finally gets to say it!
    64eqg.jpg

Justice League #7 was great! The book is a lot better now that it's set in the present.
    aLaaE.jpg
    nNdyw.jpg

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I would pay cold hard cash for an x-club/protector team up comic

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Woah.

That Bruce/Dick moment is kind of. That's some holy crap material.

Between Batman RIP and this I'm starting to understand how people can develop irrational fears about their own teeth.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Woah.

That Bruce/Dick moment is kind of. That's some holy crap material.

Between Batman RIP and this I'm starting to understand how people can develop irrational fears about their own teeth.

that was pretty incredible

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Uncanny X-Men #9 is readable again! And a team-up with the Avengers. Really dense story, a nice solid superhero issue and Protector shows up more in this issue than he did in the Avengers for the last six months:

xmenuncanny2-9a.jpg

xmenuncanny2-9b.jpg

xmenuncanny2-9c.jpg

OK, look. I'm not going to lie. If there was a comic that just consisted of one-panel scenes of all of Marvel's characters kicking ass in inventive ways with entertaining, clever descriptions, I would buy it every single time it came out.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I really liked Justice League this month

Now that Johns has stopped trying to make Hal likable and just switched to him being an asshole he is much more enjoyable

CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    "[E]xtreme deployment of kinetic energy" is my new favorite euphemism for punching people really hard.

Damn. That looks like a great comic. Shame I can't stand the X-Men.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    the SHAZAM back-up totally hinted at the rest of the kids who formed Captain Thunder showing up
    I am excited

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    X-Factor #233; the team, under new leaders Polaris and Havok, raid an anti-mutant militia camp, while Layla and Madrox get re-acquainted. If you've ever wanted to jump on this book, this would be a pretty good issue to do it with.
    xOMjK.jpg

The story's strong as ever, Leonard Kirk's a fantastic artist blahblahblah. I do want to point out that Matt Milla's colors are great on this book. They actually remind me an awful lot of Frank Martin's, on Thunderbolts.

Heart #4; Rooster Redmond is coming off a string of losses, and his newest fight isn't going any better.
    xN6ep.jpg

A strong conclusion to a good series. If you have any passing interest in MMA, or sports stories in general, check this out when it goes to TPB. It takes an interesting stance, not often seen in these kinds of underdog stories. The entire series is really about asking what happens when your best, still isn't good enough? What happens when you try as hard as you can, and dedicate yourself entirely to your passion, but still fall short?

Prophet #23; John Prophet climbs the living tower, so that he may ascend to the G.O.D. satellite, and restart the human empire, facing danger along the way.
    qws0L.jpg

Incidentally, I want to point out that Graham did something kind of cool in this issue. Basically, at the conclusion, Prophet re-awakens hundreds of other Prophets, like himself, all across the universe.

What I think Graham is doing here, is setting up a way for each new oncoming artist, to draw their own John Prophet. It's a pretty cool idea, really. That way each artist can play to their own strengths, design their own world, etc. rather than be limited by what Graham and Roy did, in their first arc.

Meanwhile, Roy's still the regular artist, as far as I know, so the story will eventually loop back around to Prophet-Prime, after a few issues.

Thunderbolts #171; Songbird goes on vacation, while Luke and Warden Walker are forced to use Ryker's Island, to house their superhuman inmates, while the Raft is being rebuilt.
    PmPRS.jpg

I have to say, I continue to love these member spotlight issues of Thunderbolts. So far we've had Ghost, Man-Thing, Luke, and Songbird. I hope we continue getting them, as the comic morphs into Dark Avengers.

Additionally, I want to point out that Parker and Walker did a really good job of taking the tired trope of the superheroine who's abducted and experimented on, and making it work. Because I'm not gonna lie, I was worried. There was a lot of ways it could have gone bad, really.

But, Songbird comes out of it looking like a competent superhero, and not all damaged and weepy, which I don't think is the norm.

And wow, someone really likes Songbird to have punk-rock hair, huh? Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Munch on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Batman #7 was very good and I cannot wait for #8! Capullo's artwork is excellent, I want to turn 90% of the pages into posters.

Nightwing #7 was also very good.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    holy crap uncanny was a blast.

I'll probably phone-shoot something from Birds of Prey later.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Re.: Thunderbolts

The big grey goon - is he just some un-named mutate guy? I've seen a lot of weird characters in the pages of Thunderbolts when they're in the prisons who I don't recognize as named villains, and I've been assuming they're just random super-freaks. Am I right?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    The X-books were all good this week.

I really liked the lead ins to AvX from the X-Sanction and Gen. Hope.

• JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    Really good week for comics. Loved seeing Cliff Chiang back on art for Wonder Woman, Nightwing seems like it's getting better, Batman was awesome as usual...

But my MOTW was probably giving up on Red Hood, thus throwing off the last of my Lobdell chains.

Golden Yak wrote: »
    Re.: Thunderbolts

The big grey goon - is he just some un-named mutate guy? I've seen a lot of weird characters in the pages of Thunderbolts when they're in the prisons who I don't recognize as named villains, and I've been assuming they're just random super-freaks. Am I right?

Yeah, I figure he's just some random character Kev Walker thought up.

But, given Parker's affinity for weird, obscure characters, it's possible he's a previously-seen character. He kind of looks like one of the Blood Brothers, but grey instead of red.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Marvel was all about creepy evil scientists this week. I was reading through my books last night and one was featured in UXM, TBs, and ASM.

The guy in Thunderbolts was truly disturbing. That starfish thingy made me super uncomfortable.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    New Mutants had an evil scientist type thing going on this week too. New Mutants was really good this week, some great Warlock stuff. If anyone else got besides me , should post some, I'll try to later this week.

Also has hints towards
    Dani + X-man romance

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited March 2012
    My copy of King City arrived from Amazon this week, and man, it's so good, you guys.

I've expounded upon it at length before, so I won't bother doing so now. Instead, here's two bits I really liked, that don't give much away in regards to the plot. Apologies for the crummy scans (the actual pages look much better), but this book is 420+ pages long, which makes scanning problematic.
    X0MBg.jpg

2jUou.jpg

I really love how the word balloon's cut in half, along with the goon, and how Joe (the blonde guy) is all set up for that action-movie cliche of cooly catching his weapon after its path of destruction, only to miss it, and have it clutch onto his head, instead.

Oh, and I love this villain's introduction.

JhRBg.jpg

Mr. Pimpossible, the foul-mouthed, see-through pimp. He's like a rejected He-Man villain.

Which is to say, wonderful.

Munch on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Huh. Yeah. I can see you do enjoy King City muchly.

Kinda reminds me a little of Osamu Tezuka, but I'm probably not the first person to ever say that.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    King City is so great.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    The King City TP is currently "under review" on Amazon and therefore temporarily not available for sale there.

Huh, that's weird. I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago. It arrived a little nicked up around the corners, but that's hardly unusual.

I saw that it was in June's solicitations again, which I thought was odd.

• VermisVermis Registered User regular
    The guy in Thunderbolts was truly disturbing. That starfish thingy made me super uncomfortable.
    It was the abduction and forced brain surgery stuff that did for me. Like Munch says it didn't turn out too bad, but where does that come on the Fridge Girlfriend scale?

I finally got my grubby hands on Venom 13.4 and 14. Everything, just one long MOTW.

rulksig.jpg
    yeah,
    Munch wrote: »
    Huh, that's weird. I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago. It arrived a little nicked up around the corners, but that's hardly unusual.

I saw that it was in June's solicitations again, which I thought was odd.

printing errors and a re-solicit, maybe?

huntresssig.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Oh yeah, my MOTW is getting the Queen Crab hardcover (after my LCS friend strongly and weirdly practically made me buy it). He then strongly suggested I open it in the shop (also weird). Upon doing so I find it signed by Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner along with a print done by each of them signed.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    My moment of the week?

LnAnh.jpg

don't think that has anything to do with comics

didn't you get the memo this is now a sports forum

rangers first in the east tia

huntresssig.jpg
    fuck that shit

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So the white guys get to use ladders now in basketball?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    It's only fair.