As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    MASS EFFECT THREE ENDING STUFF:
    Now the internet seems to be gathered around the theory that the entire ending sequence was the result of reaper indoctrination! Some evidence quoted is that it doesn't create any plot holes!

Of course it doesn't - because it's the same thing as saying "it was a dream"! A well known cop out that is even a meme! You can slap the dream ending on absolutely anything and it will never create plot holes!

Why people no realise?!
    Because the ending is that bad.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    random topic change to keep me occupied until that ibuprofun kicks in:

what are the good PS3 exclusives (I have a ps2 set up in my basement and a 360 so really only looking at exclusives here)? Including exclusives to their online store not just stuff on disc.

The missus has been eyeing Disgaea 3 (and 4 when that comes out) and we are considering getting one.

Pixeljunk Monsters and Eden are fantastic
    The Yakuza Series is great
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Resistance series
    Ratchet and Clank series
    Uncharted Series
    Little Big Planet
    Infamous Series
    Journey

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    is it giant blue guy avatar or asian bald kid avatar
    The good one.

I will never understand the people who say that show is good.

I just can't assimilate the meaning of that assertion.

it's the best, especially after season 1

See, you see this thing that is good.

I just see Naruto with a higher budget.

I was pretty skeptical too, but I was surprised by fun characters, interesting story and world, good sense of humor, etc

Have you ever watched it? Try to ignore the instinct to flee quickly from something that has a partial fanbase of intense weirdos, it's actually a good show.

I've seen like three episodes. I just don't like anime stylings much so I didn't have a good impression of it.

Also yeah, most of the people I know that like it are into K-On, Dragon Ball Z and Naruto.

Is it really that worth it, like say, Community with its weird ass obsessive fanbase?

I totally don't like anime, or anything like that. I wont lie to you either, some of the episodes are crap, and show that it's a kid's show. However, overall, Avatar is great. I think that you stop noticing the anime-ish style after a bit.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Sparvy wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    I posted that picture on facebook and one of my friends doesn't know who black flag are

:(

Who are Black Flag?

If its metal don't answer

I know that Henry Rollins was the lead singer, and he's cool as hell.

Robos A Go Go on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Overeem visiting his Grandma
    qzuqph.jpg

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    is it giant blue guy avatar or asian bald kid avatar
    The good one.

I will never understand the people who say that show is good.

I just can't assimilate the meaning of that assertion.

it's the best, especially after season 1

See, you see this thing that is good.

I just see Naruto with a higher budget.

I was pretty skeptical too, but I was surprised by fun characters, interesting story and world, good sense of humor, etc

Have you ever watched it? Try to ignore the instinct to flee quickly from something that has a partial fanbase of intense weirdos, it's actually a good show.

I've seen like three episodes. I just don't like anime stylings much so I didn't have a good impression of it.

Also yeah, most of the people I know that like it are into K-On, Dragon Ball Z and Naruto.

Is it really that worth it, like say, Community with its weird ass obsessive fanbase?

If you're just not into cartoons at all and that puts you off that would be one thing. But it's very much a western animation in that things are fluidly animated, and the storylines progress from episode to episode. Both DBZ and Naruto have that uncompressed LET US SPEND THREE EPISODES ON ONE FIGHT WHERE WE HAVE THE INNER MONOLOGUE OF THE FIGHTERS GOING MOST OF THE TIME AND THEN PEOPLE WILL ANNOUNCE THEIR ATTACKS AND TAKE TURNS TRYING TO HIT EACH OTHER etc etc

There is none of that crap in Avatar. It's more of an awesome version of the saturday morning cartoons I had growing up.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

what are the good PS3 exclusives (I have a ps2 set up in my basement and a 360 so really only looking at exclusives here)? Including exclusives to their online store not just stuff on disc.

The missus has been eyeing Disgaea 3 (and 4 when that comes out) and we are considering getting one.

Pixeljunk Monsters and Eden are fantastic
    The Yakuza Series is great
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Resistance series
    Ratchet and Clank series
    Uncharted Series
    Little Big Planet
    Infamous Series
    Journey

neat, thanks.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I posted that picture on facebook and one of my friends doesn't know who black flag are

Who are Black Flag?

It's punk

Henry Rollins' original band

Who are Black Flag?

It's punk

Henry Rollins' original band

I see

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2012

this is from what I've heard, since I don't have a PS3 myself, but:

the Uncharted games (cinematic Indiana Jones action and shooting)
    Valkyria Chronicles (anime-themed turn-based tactical combat, with apparently a pretty good story)
    Journey (PSN store, just came out, sounds awesome)
    Heavy Rain (murder mystery thing with really nice graphics. I guess the ending annoyed some people but it's probably cheap now)

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    yesssss abd liked that photo on facebook so i got to see it

norwegian girls got Dem Hips

Organichu on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Who are Black Flag?

they pretty much invented hardcore punk

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

Who are Black Flag?

Black Flag are punk, at least technially

I guess I could see some crossover into metal as well

rRwz9.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    yesssss abd liked that photo on facebook so i got to see it

norwegian girls got Dem Hips

I did that all for you

(and well, for her. That's the girl what I sorta like these days by the way.)

ftOqU21.png
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The other thing true of DAO is that the stat that makes you tougher (Constitution I think? It gives Hp and Willpower?) is utterly worthless.

For defences you max the one that prevents you from getting hit (Dexterity is what you max on your tanks, i.e. Alistair, and the Secret Character), and then you equip them with Daggers (there's one particularly good free DLC dagger), because Dex scales the damage on Daggers.

Archery is sadly very bad, with or without abilities.

There's an infinite gold generation mechanic in the game, which is worth pursuing since the game has finite money in it and the best items in the game are all shop items, which cost about 1/3 of the total money you will make across the game. The awesomest Lyrium potions basically sell for more than their mats cost... but the UI is awful so be prepared for 30 minutes of clicking Create Potion.

Mages are gods. You can combo the +%dmg (Affliction Hex and Death Hex) with some of the bigger spells for upwards of 1k damage (in a game where the biggest bosses tend not to have more than 600ish). Mages also do aoe CC damage that is on par with the highest physical damage outputs. Cone of Cold -> Blood Mage aoe -> Firebally thing, or alternatively, you can combo the SUPERSIZE AOE abilities to get some mega storm.

Going back to what I said earlier about Willpower being bad, all sustained enchantments use % Willpower, so you will always have the same number of enchantments on your as you increase your WP.

The system is pretty damn broken, but it can be quite fun to programme your AI companions and then just play a rogue on Nightmare as Wynne healbots you and Alistair tanks everything in his 90% magic resistance gear with 47+ Dexterity.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    i'm gonna go see 21 jump street tomorrow

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    dao actually quite fun

it just has very very bad systems

whats worse is that i could tell they were bad after just a few hours of play, and i honestly wonder how so many rpgs get made with systems that are bad even to quite cursory inspection

idk

i am loathe to say that the job of the designers is easy, because it isnt, but i sometimes wonder how they manage to cock some of those things up

obF2Wuw.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    Just went to interview at the busy bar/restaurant on my corner. Good brick oven, wood-fire pizza with a decent bar that I could make way better.

I think the interview went well, because the boss said "wow... you're really qualified."

Can you get me discount pizza.

I NEED A FIX.

dude the pizza there is sooooooo gooooooood

i applied mostly because it's new and the only "cool" spot in the neighborhood, but also because fuck man that pizza's awesome.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Man, fucking Paypal. I got $250 of the $335 back that was stolen from me, but they refused to refund the other $85. So far as I can tell, there's no appeal process. On the phone with them now.

They are apparently not going to reverse those charges at all.

would rollins be more famous for his rollins band stuff? o.O

Punk (or at least like the 70s 80s kind) is one of those genres I think is so rooted in where it was made that it is hard to translate to other countries.

There are some swedish punk songs that I think are so classic and so good. But I never felt that way about punk from other places.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I wonder if Fox News is aware of lesbians proposing at hockey games here in Glorious Peoples Republic of Canuckistan?

why can't they propose at basketball games?

fuck gendered marketing
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    oh yeah. It definetly sounds like Monte Cook would love him some DAO.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    oh, her room
    Punk (or at least like the 70s 80s kind) is one of those genres I think is so rooted in where it was made that it is hard to translate to other countries.

There are some swedish punk songs that I think are so classic and so good. But I never felt that way about punk from other places.

Same here. Although there are few I like.

ftOqU21.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    rollins is a cunt

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Just went to interview at the busy bar/restaurant on my corner. Good brick oven, wood-fire pizza with a decent bar that I could make way better.

I think the interview went well, because the boss said "wow... you're really qualified."

Can you get me discount pizza.

I NEED A FIX.

dude the pizza there is sooooooo gooooooood

i applied mostly because it's new and the only "cool" spot in the neighborhood, but also because fuck man that pizza's awesome.

NANNGNNGH.

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Man, fucking Paypal. I got $250 of the $335 back that was stolen from me, but they refused to refund the other $85. So far as I can tell, there's no appeal process. On the phone with them now.

They are apparently not going to reverse those charges at all.

What is their reason for not giving you the full amount? O_o

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    browsing abd's friends' photos makes me reconsider all the bad things i've ever said about norway

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    monte cook can get a urinary tract infection and rot in hell

I watched a the American Hardcore documentary and it was so incredibly cringeworthy. Buncha guys in their 50's with dreads and cargo shorts talking about hating the man. I still like the music, but daaaamn guys, buy a fucking shirt.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I don't get the hatred for either Airbender or Naruto. Well, Naruto non-manga stuff is boring and bad, but the actual core stuff of Naruto is really pretty good, not to mention insanely well-animated which just makes it more fun to watch. Likewise, Airbender is super-well animated, and the writing is not only great for all ages, but actually fairly meaningful commentary on society at times.

But getting anyone to watch either of them is incredibly difficult. Its "fans" give Naruto an incredibly bad name, and everyone who sees Airbender looks at Aang's facial design and is just like "no this is for kids".

I tried to get surrealityscum to watch it ages ago, and he was all haterade on it without even watching. :<

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    the fade, at least the first time, is actually interesting

browsing abd's friends' photos makes me reconsider all the bad things i've ever said about norway

wait, how many of those can you see?

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »

wait, how many of those can you see?

*closes Terminal, wipes hard drive*

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I kind of want a PS3 just for Journey (and Blurays) but that would be ridiculous. I guess I'd get the Uncharted games. And Little Big Planet? Don't wanna play Playstation Halo or Japanese Grand Theft Auto.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    NANA is a really good anime.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Black Flag were awesome. Henry Rollins is awesome. Saw him many times.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I wonder if Fox News is aware of lesbians proposing at hockey games here in Glorious Peoples Republic of Canuckistan?

why can't they propose at basketball games?

Do they have black people in Canada?

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    rollins is a cunt

but an awesome cunt

fuck gendered marketing
    poshniallo wrote: »
    Black Flag were awesome. Henry Rollins is awesome. Saw him many times.
    I wish I'd gone to see his spoken-word show here a few months back, but I was far too broke at the time.

This discussion has been closed.