As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    browsing abd's friends' photos makes me reconsider all the bad things i've ever said about norway

wait, how many of those can you see?

*closes Terminal, wipes hard drive*

oh but I approve

ftOqU21.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Man, fucking Paypal. I got $250 of the $335 back that was stolen from me, but they refused to refund the other $85. So far as I can tell, there's no appeal process. On the phone with them now.

They are apparently not going to reverse those charges at all.

What is their reason for not giving you the full amount? O_o

First Rule of Acquisition

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    I wonder if Fox News is aware of lesbians proposing at hockey games here in Glorious Peoples Republic of Canuckistan?

why can't they propose at basketball games?

Do they have black people in Canada?

Of course they do.

His name is Gerald.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    rollins is a cunt

but an awesome cunt

no

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    browsing abd's friends' photos makes me reconsider all the bad things i've ever said about norway

oh but I approve

enabler

And Chu was doing so good with Creepers Anonymous too

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

oh but I approve
    yes

i see i'm not the only one who loves that line

Elendil wrote: »

oh but I approve
    yes

i see i'm not the only one who loves that line

oh my god I thought no one would get it <3

ftOqU21.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The other thing true of DAO is that the stat that makes you tougher (Constitution I think? It gives Hp and Willpower?) is utterly worthless.

For defences you max the one that prevents you from getting hit (Dexterity is what you max on your tanks, i.e. Alistair, and the Secret Character), and then you equip them with Daggers (there's one particularly good free DLC dagger), because Dex scales the damage on Daggers.

Archery is sadly very bad, with or without abilities.

There's an infinite gold generation mechanic in the game, which is worth pursuing since the game has finite money in it and the best items in the game are all shop items, which cost about 1/3 of the total money you will make across the game. The awesomest Lyrium potions basically sell for more than their mats cost... but the UI is awful so be prepared for 30 minutes of clicking Create Potion.

Mages are gods. You can combo the +%dmg (Affliction Hex and Death Hex) with some of the bigger spells for upwards of 1k damage (in a game where the biggest bosses tend not to have more than 600ish). Mages also do aoe CC damage that is on par with the highest physical damage outputs. Cone of Cold -> Blood Mage aoe -> Firebally thing, or alternatively, you can combo the SUPERSIZE AOE abilities to get some mega storm.

Going back to what I said earlier about Willpower being bad, all sustained enchantments use % Willpower, so you will always have the same number of enchantments on your as you increase your WP.

The system is pretty damn broken, but it can be quite fun to programme your AI companions and then just play a rogue on Nightmare as Wynne healbots you and Alistair tanks everything in his 90% magic resistance gear with 47+ Dexterity.

This kind of makes me not want to play the game.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

ohhhhh you can just see all of them

well

are there any particular ones that made you reconsider, organ?

ftOqU21.png
  • LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    random topic change to keep me occupied until that ibuprofun kicks in:

what are the good PS3 exclusives (I have a ps2 set up in my basement and a 360 so really only looking at exclusives here)? Including exclusives to their online store not just stuff on disc.

The missus has been eyeing Disgaea 3 (and 4 when that comes out) and we are considering getting one.

The Yakuza Series is great

This.

IMHO, the Yakuza games have the best QTEs in the entire game industry (of course, its competition is all in the "sucks bad" or "sucks really bad" level, but still).

Feral wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The other thing true of DAO is that the stat that makes you tougher (Constitution I think? It gives Hp and Willpower?) is utterly worthless.

For defences you max the one that prevents you from getting hit (Dexterity is what you max on your tanks, i.e. Alistair, and the Secret Character), and then you equip them with Daggers (there's one particularly good free DLC dagger), because Dex scales the damage on Daggers.

Archery is sadly very bad, with or without abilities.

There's an infinite gold generation mechanic in the game, which is worth pursuing since the game has finite money in it and the best items in the game are all shop items, which cost about 1/3 of the total money you will make across the game. The awesomest Lyrium potions basically sell for more than their mats cost... but the UI is awful so be prepared for 30 minutes of clicking Create Potion.

Mages are gods. You can combo the +%dmg (Affliction Hex and Death Hex) with some of the bigger spells for upwards of 1k damage (in a game where the biggest bosses tend not to have more than 600ish). Mages also do aoe CC damage that is on par with the highest physical damage outputs. Cone of Cold -> Blood Mage aoe -> Firebally thing, or alternatively, you can combo the SUPERSIZE AOE abilities to get some mega storm.

Going back to what I said earlier about Willpower being bad, all sustained enchantments use % Willpower, so you will always have the same number of enchantments on your as you increase your WP.

The system is pretty damn broken, but it can be quite fun to programme your AI companions and then just play a rogue on Nightmare as Wynne healbots you and Alistair tanks everything in his 90% magic resistance gear with 47+ Dexterity.

Be a mage. It is the best.

ftOqU21.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I kind of want a PS3 just for Journey (and Blurays) but that would be ridiculous. I guess I'd get the Uncharted games. And Little Big Planet? Don't wanna play Playstation Halo or Japanese Grand Theft Auto.

Infamous 1 and 2 fantastic probably the best open world games available.

And Yakuza is so much more then Japanese GTA

god i wish okeer had stuck around

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the best thing about mages is there are two stats, magic and willpower

magic gives you extra spell damage and gives you access to higher level magic

oh, and it gives you more mana back when you use potions

willpower just gives you more mana

hmm i wonder which is better to level

obF2Wuw.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dragon Age was a decent game, Feral. I didn't dig into the mechanics very much, because I don't play games that way, but I had a good time.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I kind of want a PS3 just for Journey (and Blurays) but that would be ridiculous. I guess I'd get the Uncharted games. And Little Big Planet? Don't wanna play Playstation Halo or Japanese Grand Theft Auto.

I know but this was funnier!

Infamous has you playing a dick who wrecks a city right. I don't wanna be a dick!

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

me too

he would have been an amazing squadmate

and imagine if he had, like, ship dialogue with mordin

oh man 8->

Grunt is kind of adorable, though

me I missed Wrex.

ftOqU21.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    i like krogan in general

they have zest

the best thing about mages is there are two stats, magic and willpower

magic gives you extra spell damage and gives you access to higher level magic

oh, and it gives you more mana back when you use potions

willpower just gives you more mana

hmm i wonder which is better to level

No

that is wrong; it is not the best thing

the best thing is summoning a gigantic fucking fire tornado, conjure up like half a dozen wards, magical shields and spells protecting me and fucking my enemies, drawing my sword, which I will swing with magical strenght, and ligthing it on fire for good measure

ftOqU21.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    would rollins be more famous for his rollins band stuff? o.O

Anytime I see Rollins now days I associate him with his acting, because he makes a fantastic neo-nazi.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

I know but this was funnier!

Infamous has you playing a dick who wrecks a city right. I don't wanna be a dick!

No you can play Infamous as a good guy or a bad guy

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The writing is good to great, combat is interesting to actually take part in, albeit not to build for, and there's a fair amount of exploration you can do for builds anyway. Characters are fairly fun, and the main quest, while generic, is not bad.

Bear in mind, for example, that Baldur's Gate 2, arguably one of the best RPGs ever, is based on the DnD system which is similarly broken, and is still an amazing game despite it. Although I wouldn't put DAO quite that high (much better writing in BGII, on pretty much all fronts, as well as a much longer, deeper campaign with more variance based on player choice), it's still very worth the time invested, imo.

I mean, I more or less worked out all the broken set-ups from what we were told before the game came out, but I still got a good 200ish hours entertainment out of it.

DA2, on the other hand, was pretty much one playthrough and you're done.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    i like krogan in general

they have zest
    Krogan are the best.

Here is one of the most classic Swedish punk songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obGg0rd-Gv4

Its about the cold war

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    i like krogan in general

they have zest

note: don't let elendil cook

fuck gendered marketing
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i like krogan in general

they have zest

*headbutts*

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Also, there are a lot of trying-to-hard but still hot hipster chicks at that place.

So that'll be cool

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    i like krogan in general

they have zest

note: don't let elendil cook

So that's why my cheese grater smells funny.

TehSloth wrote: »

Anytime I see Rollins now days I associate him with his acting, because he makes a fantastic neo-nazi.

he does

I didn't know he acted, though

fuck gendered marketing

He's in the best movie ever.

This is probably the swedish punk song, even though it was cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfN0MiRiMtI

edited March 2012
    That new sleigh bells album is mixed for shit.

It sounds like they just set everything at 0dBFS, through a mild limiter on it and said "FUCK IT"

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    That new sleigh bells album is mixed for shit.

It sounds like they just set everything at 0dBFS, through a mild limiter on it and said "FUCK IT"

Shut up man I don't know what that means but I like that album!

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I am starting to think my PAX trip is in jeopardy. I don't know if I'm going to be able to fit the bill for all of the things my mother is neglecting.

steam_sig.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Whoever decided that bank/airline call centers in the UK need to close so early needs to go die in a fire, btw.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TehSloth wrote: »

he does

He's a fairly major antagonist in Sons of Anarchy.

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I thought Dragon Age was surprisingly bad.

Story wise sure, pretty interesting. But I seriously hated all the mechanics. Down to there not being a lot of health potions to buy. They never seemed to restock. I could have made my own but that was not something I should have been forced to realize half way through the game. Basically replaying a lot of fights just so I lowered my potion consumption. Always near broke.

A lot of fights that were perfectly unwinnable until you managed to bug the AI out, or it suddenly worked on the sixth try for no apparent reason. Blood mage in that house in the town. Not winnable until he got stuck in a door. No way it was.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.