As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I am a total sucker for B9 hardcore. It's about as safe as punk music gets, but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isvh248sb-A

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Also lolrandomencounter. Random encounters should never have been invented.

PSN: Honkalot
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Staten och Kapitalet,
    dom sitter i samma båt
    fast det är inte dom som ror,
    som ror så svetten lackar
    och piskan som kittlar,
    kittlar inte heller
    deras feta nackar

Ah, the voice of the 99 percent

Sparvy on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I had to exploit the AI so bad in Dragon Age.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I thought Dragon Age was surprisingly bad.

Story wise sure, pretty interesting. But I seriously hated all the mechanics. Down to there not being a lot of health potions to buy. They never seemed to restock. I could have made my own but that was not something I should have been forced to realize half way through the game. Basically replaying a lot of fights just so I lowered my potion consumption. Always near broke.

A lot of fights that were perfectly unwinnable until you managed to bug the AI out, or it suddenly worked on the sixth try for no apparent reason. Blood mage in that house in the town. Not winnable until he got stuck in a door. No way it was.

someone didn't play a mage

fuck gendered marketing
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Ok, so there is is something written in the stars a million miles away, I get that. What confuses me is that it's a "message to the main". What the hell does that mean? I wish this was a RHCP song so I could assume it meant something nonsensical about fucking.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    That new sleigh bells album is mixed for shit.

It sounds like they just set everything at 0dBFS, through a mild limiter on it and said "FUCK IT"

I haven't heard it, but for as mixed between awesome and miserable as bonnaroo was, Sleigh Bells being like the first big act was awesome. It was probably the most crowded not main stage show I went, and everybody was going nuts.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Story wise sure, pretty interesting. But I seriously hated all the mechanics. Down to there not being a lot of health potions to buy. They never seemed to restock. I could have made my own but that was not something I should have been forced to realize half way through the game. Basically replaying a lot of fights just so I lowered my potion consumption. Always near broke.

A lot of fights that were perfectly unwinnable until you managed to bug the AI out, or it suddenly worked on the sixth try for no apparent reason. Blood mage in that house in the town. Not winnable until he got stuck in a door. No way it was.
    As far as mechanics go, yeah, the game was pretty bad. However, I think it had pretty much the best dialogue of any game, ever. Though, I say this having not played DA2 or ME3 singleplayer.

Thanatos on
    Ok, so there is is something written in the stars a million miles away, I get that. What confuses me is that it's a "message to the main". What the hell does that mean? I wish this was a RHCP song so I could assume it meant something nonsensical about fucking.

Tugboat Sheila is into memorabilia ;)

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    They aren't really random.

Elldren wrote: »

someone didn't play a mage

Right? That's what I heard later. I sat there with the character creator thinking "You know what! I always play mage like characters! This time I am going to roll a warrior!".

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    This week can go kill itself.

At least Friday I'll have some type of closure.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

O_o

Was Dragon Age your first RPG in a long time?

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Honestly, I got an archer all the way through Nightmare (without double mage aoe abuse) without any trouble in combat.

Sometimes there are fights where you have to manage all your party members correctly to win them, but the game is never unfair with its combat situations. If you're having trouble, you're barking up the wrong tree somewhere.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    Thanatos wrote: »
    They aren't really random.

My memory is fuzzy, but I recall walking along the map and suddenly ENCOUNTER

Congratulations, you will not be going to this story location you wanted to go to. Instead you will have to face a really annoyingly hard ambush on the same field you were ambushed last time!

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

It sounds like they just set everything at 0dBFS, through a mild limiter on it and said "FUCK IT"

Shut up man I don't know what that means but I like that album!

Like, the first one was really stupid in its composition, but it was kinda charming and refreshing in that way. LIke, on "Rill Rill" the kick drum is TERRIBLE -- it's way too boomy and out of place and it doesn't make sense. But it's done with so much insouciance that it's kinda charming. The mix on that album is the same way. It's super clipped and over compressed, but they use that to your advantage. It's like a big fucking square of sound assaulting your balls. It's lofi and amateur, but in the best way.

The new album is much better orchestrated and budgeted, but they didn't adapt. It's just loud, but not in a cohesive way. Nothing stands out, nothing grabs your attention.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I swear random encounters in Pokémon Red/Blue were programmed to be malicious. Two steps from the cave exit with one poisoned monster barely holding on to life? LEVEL 55 GYRADOS

emnmnme wrote: »

O_o

Was Dragon Age your first RPG in a long time?

No, none of the things I wrote above are particularly common in RPG's.

Like, the first one was really stupid in its composition, but it was kinda charming and refreshing in that way. LIke, on "Rill Rill" the kick drum is TERRIBLE -- it's way too boomy and out of place and it doesn't make sense. But it's done with so much insouciance that it's kinda charming. The mix on that album is the same way. It's super clipped and over compressed, but they use that to your advantage. It's like a big fucking square of sound assaulting your balls. It's lofi and amateur, but in the best way.

The new album is much better orchestrated and budgeted, but they didn't adapt. It's just loud, but not in a cohesive way. Nothing stands out, nothing grabs your attention.

I thought that was the point. It's lo-fi music isn't it.

I swear random encounters in Pokémon Red/Blue were programmed to be malicious. Two steps from the cave exit with one poisoned monster barely holding on to life? LEVEL 55 GYRADOS

My first JRPG was something on the DS, Dragon Quest? I had to give up and consider that 50 dollars lost after 30 minutes of playing. Random encounters, to me, may be the worst mechanic I have ever experienced.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It's random when you'll get them, but each encounter only occurs once, and is predefined. So you'll only once get the scenario of 5 Genlocks + a Hurlock mage and 20 traps.

Same thing as in BGII, not the same as in Storm of Zehir though.

Oh, I forgot, they did the amusing Traps/Chests Give XP thing in DA:O too, so having a rogue is super-rewarding for your party!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Work is burning me out. Tired of being overworked and understaffed

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

No, I'm saying the first album was good. It was lo-fi, but they used their limitations to make a signature sound. With the much bigger budget for the second album, they lost those limitations and thereby lost their sound. "Comeback Kid" doesn't sound like a lo-fi record that uses tropes like overcompression and electronic drums against themselves to create a cool, unique sound. It sounds like a weezer track with southern-rap beats.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular

My first JRPG was something on the DS, Dragon Quest? I had to give up and consider that 50 dollars lost after 30 minutes of playing. Random encounters, to me, may be the worst mechanic I have ever experienced.

Yeah, I like games where the encounters appear in the dungeons as monsters that you can avoid or sneak up on for an advantage, like in Persona or Chrono Cross.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

...okay, sorry, but not even considering making potions is p dumb

ftOqU21.png

No, I'm saying the first album was good. It was lo-fi, but they used their limitations to make a signature sound. With the much bigger budget for the second album, they lost those limitations and thereby lost their sound. "Comeback Kid" doesn't sound like a lo-fi record that uses tropes like overcompression and electronic drums against themselves to create a cool, unique sound. It sounds like a weezer track with southern-rap beats.

Oh well I like it lalalala.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    ME3 incidental minor character spoiler.
    poor Kal Reegar. Went out like a champ, though. Apparently. Sucks to hear about it second hand.

Reading an Asimov short story. Dude is good at these.

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »

My favorite is the one with the monks trying to write down every single permutation of the name of God.

How was I supposed to guess that crafting was almost required in this game, when stores usually have a replenishing supply of potions? That you can usually buy with your vast fortune. The fortune that was not in this game either.

My favorite is the one with the monks trying to write down every single permutation of the name of God.

Read Nightfall. It is mind blowingly incredible.

It sounds like a weezer track with southern-rap beats.
    This sounds better than the stuff you normally talk about!

edited March 2012

How was I supposed to guess that crafting was almost required in this game, when stores usually have a replenishing supply of potions? That you can usually buy with your vast fortune. The fortune that was not in this game either.

You have to admit that this makes more sense than the usual main character amassing wealth dropped from wild animals to buy potions from merchants who don't think it's prudent to give everything they have to the hero trying to save the world.

Donkey Kong on
    FFFFFFFUCK

ionlygotac

When I go to the halls of my ancestors

I will be ashamed

Oh shit, Arthur C Clarke wrote the story I am thinking of. Never mind! I will be sure to.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    C is for cookie

that's good enough for me

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    a Hurlock mage

Is that smarter or dumber than a Durlock mage?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

Oh shit, Arthur C Clarke wrote the story I am thinking of. Never mind! I will be sure to.

That's The Nine Billion Names of God

I'm reading Nightfall right now and it's really good.

also "
    overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out"

ftOqU21.png

...the first time you replayed a fight to lower your potion consumption, you nitwit!

ftOqU21.png
    simonwolf wrote: »
    C is for cookie

that's good enough for me

I'm not really disappointed. There was just small tiny chance of an A and I felt pretty good about it after. But nooo I had to go and only get 3/4 points on 3 problems and 1/4 on another.

Will have to go and pick it up to see what the errors were

This discussion has been closed.