As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I think "donate money to a charity so that a company gives us a better ending to a game" is

well, I can think of less worthy charities

but

not many

hate me for this opinion or not, there it is

less worthy charity?

it's not a charity

it's a reason to give to charity

ftOqU21.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    But I do agree that this is sort of a weirdly critical junction for games and the interplay between creators and their consumers, as well as for games as art

indeed.

perhaps...a thread?

oooo...

My only problem is I am trying so hard to avoid spoilers because if it works out I am picking this game up in two weeks

Yeah...

I think we could argue about it in the abstract, and avoid spoilers...

I hope, but I am not touching it yet

Maybe I will

I dont know

Make a thread!

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I've only eaten meat twice in the last two weeks.

I grew up a meat and potatoes boy.

Losing my religion.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    idk why this is such a surprising thing

its only recently that content creators have been able to control the content that you have bought from them after you bought it

if you wanted to change the ending to a book youd have to mail out a new ending and get them to stick it in

whereas for this you can literally deliver a new ending to people

if books had been digital from the start poor old dickens would have been inundated with letters asking for happy endings and petitions and then beaten with oversized quills

i am baffled by people who see this as a question of "art" - its just simply not been a practical thing to do until now

obF2Wuw.png
    Podly wrote: »
    I've only eaten meat twice in the last two weeks.

I grew up a meat and potatoes boy.

Losing my religion.

I haven't had meat all day

if you don't count nibbling at the fridge

yesterday I had a lunch of meat, with meat

and spaghetti carbonara for dinner

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think "donate money to a charity so that a company gives us a better ending to a game" is

but

not many

less worthy charity?

it's not a charity

fair enough I guess

• ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Man, this whole thing with ME3 has spawned some type of awesome meta-commentary regarding how people perceive the artistic process really.

I'm interested in the articles about how this indicates gamers don't really think games are art.

You don't demand that an artist change its art.

Yeah, I can understand being mad at an ending, but insisting that the ending be changed is fucking weird to me, and my gut reaction is to call them all a bunch of entitled crapbags.

As someone who has not played through it all yet

I find it weird that people donated money to charity to get the ending changed.

Confused bros

Confused

I think the phrase Entitled Crapbags is incredibly appropriate for this kind of thing.

donating money to charity and saying please change it to something that doesn't suck is being a crapbag?

donating money to charity is always cool, but pairing charity with the other weird outrage does not quell my opinion of the weird outrage

like, if you gave a bunch of money to charity and said WE THINK APARTHIED IS NIFTY AND SHOULD COME BACK it wouldn't make it alright. (And yes, I chose something like that to be an embellishment and not a direct comparison)

I mean, I guess it's a testament to how involved a lot of people felt in the story, but at the end of the day it's a story being created by someone else. Thinking that you have any right to dictate what they want their story to be is ridiculous to me. I mean I've had many films that I thought should have handled things differently, as I'm sure many of us have, but I would never try to force the people to redo it the way I wanted. That's fucking dumb.

So yes, entitled crapbags can give money to charity and still be entitled crapbags.

that's a wierd definition of forcing, right there

It's an attempt to force a change through social outrage. I don't think it's that weird, I think it communicates pretty well what's happening. Like, "suggestion" doesn't work when it's a big chunk of angry frothing fans. A suggestion would be like "maybe don't end things quite like this next time" not "YOU GUYS NEED TO CHANGE THIS ENDING IT IS UNACCEPTABLE EVERYONE SPREAD THE WORD THIS WILL NOT STAND"

...next time they make me3?

next time they make a game
    whole point of the charity guys was not to be like the entitled crapbags

and they're not!

they're going

hey, we're not being entitled crapbags

we would just like a better ending, to an amazing thing we love

Oh are the charity guys separate and not frothy? Cause I guess that's fine if it's just a request of new content. Especially if what they're requesting is optional DLC. Nothing wrong with asking for new/more content necessarily. It's the idea that fans would demand a damn do-over because they didn't like part of a story. If you didn't like an ending, that's just an ending you didn't like. It is not a slight that must be corrected.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

its only recently that content creators have been able to control the content that you have bought from them after you bought it

if you wanted to change the ending to a book youd have to mail out a new ending and get them to stick it in

if books had been digital from the start poor old dickens would have been inundated with letters asking for happy endings and petitions and then beaten with oversized quills

i am baffled by people who see this as a question of "art" - its just simply not been a practical thing to do until now

If someone is receptive to making new endings to their thing then fine but getting pressured to do it because your fanbase is revolting makes me feel sorry for Bioware.

ronya wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »
    Anybody know what's going on in China?

Anybody know what's going in America...?

Someone please tell us, we have no idea

seriously

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    This raspberry Frogurt i made is just so good.

SO GOOOOOD...

they're not gonna change the ending, I'm sure

make an epilogue or an appending bit of something that makes it go down better, probably

which is not unheard of in other media

ftOqU21.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

No, really, what are you referring to?

aRkpc.gif
    Man, this whole thing with ME3 has spawned some type of awesome meta-commentary regarding how people perceive the artistic process really.

I'm interested in the articles about how this indicates gamers don't really think games are art.

Yeah, I can understand being mad at an ending, but insisting that the ending be changed is fucking weird to me, and my gut reaction is to call them all a bunch of entitled crapbags.

Confused bros

Confused

I think the phrase Entitled Crapbags is incredibly appropriate for this kind of thing.

donating money to charity and saying please change it to something that doesn't suck is being a crapbag?

donating money to charity is always cool, but pairing charity with the other weird outrage does not quell my opinion of the weird outrage

like, if you gave a bunch of money to charity and said WE THINK APARTHIED IS NIFTY AND SHOULD COME BACK it wouldn't make it alright. (And yes, I chose something like that to be an embellishment and not a direct comparison)

I mean, I guess it's a testament to how involved a lot of people felt in the story, but at the end of the day it's a story being created by someone else. Thinking that you have any right to dictate what they want their story to be is ridiculous to me. I mean I've had many films that I thought should have handled things differently, as I'm sure many of us have, but I would never try to force the people to redo it the way I wanted. That's fucking dumb.

So yes, entitled crapbags can give money to charity and still be entitled crapbags.

It's an attempt to force a change through social outrage. I don't think it's that weird, I think it communicates pretty well what's happening. Like, "suggestion" doesn't work when it's a big chunk of angry frothing fans. A suggestion would be like "maybe don't end things quite like this next time" not "YOU GUYS NEED TO CHANGE THIS ENDING IT IS UNACCEPTABLE EVERYONE SPREAD THE WORD THIS WILL NOT STAND"

and they're not!

they're going

Oh are the charity guys separate and not frothy? Cause I guess that's fine if it's just a request of new content. Especially if what they're requesting is optional DLC. Nothing wrong with asking for new/more content necessarily. It's the idea that fans would demand a damn do-over because they didn't like part of a story. If you didn't like an ending, that's just an ending you didn't like. It is not a slight that must be corrected.

yeah the charity thing was specifically meant to be anti-frothy

ftOqU21.png
    What is the deal with China, I mean come on.

but

not many

less worthy charity?

it's not a charity

fair enough I guess

as blackmail goes, "do as I say or I'll not donate all this money to charity after all!" isn't so bad

ftOqU21.png
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    But I do agree that this is sort of a weirdly critical junction for games and the interplay between creators and their consumers, as well as for games as art

indeed.

perhaps...a thread?

oooo...

My only problem is I am trying so hard to avoid spoilers because if it works out I am picking this game up in two weeks

Yeah...

I think we could argue about it in the abstract, and avoid spoilers...

I hope, but I am not touching it yet

Maybe I will

I dont know

Make a thread!

Working on OP.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    arch you do realise the donations go to childs play rite

re: bioware's fanbase

theyre big boys, im sure theyll be fine

their vocal fanbase has always been stuffed to the gills with vile excrescences so this will hardly be new to any of them that have ever ventured into the forums - see what happened after da2

its just in this case theres one particular issue to rally around, rather than a whole bunch of things (as was the case with da2, which suffered from more than one obvious problem)

i mean it sucks to be told something you made was crap but... in this case i cant think of a single person i know who has actually said they thought the ending was good, so its not like its a terrible stretch. if they produce a better ending to the whole thing that leaves people feeling emotionally satisfied its a net win. plus they get to learn something about why their old ending was shitty and they improve and everybody is happy and the children will dance and sing with gumdrop smiles

obF2Wuw.png

Confused bros

Confused

and they're not!

they're going

pretty sure not ending things like that would not be a problem when making a new game since it would be a new game and not the same

ftOqU21.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular

Tanks rolled into Beijing and apparently shots have been fired. There are rumors of a coup but the internet censors cracked down on them pretty hard.

arch you do realise the donations go to childs play rite

i should have said "reasons to donate to charity"

it's for their own good

bioware will emerge stronger from this experience and go on to glorious things

take the long view, people

ftOqU21.png
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Hell, Bioware should do this every time. Make controversial ending that

A: Infuriates entitled crapbags

B: Inspires calmer people to give to charity

C: Guarantees DLC purchases

It's win win win

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    the reasons to give to charity is kind of irrelevant

ftOqU21.png
    Hell, Bioware should do this every time. Make controversial ending that

A: Infuriates entitled crapbags

B: Inspires calmer people to give to charity

C: Guarantees DLC purchases

It's win win win

Fuck if my fanbase was crazy I'd troll the fuck out of them.

where you gettin that info about china mr rayofash

obF2Wuw.png
    so

what'll Bioware's next thing be, after DA3?

ftOqU21.png
    edited March 2012

Tanks rolled into Beijing and apparently shots have been fired. There are rumors of a coup but the internet censors cracked down on them pretty hard.

When I heard the story, it was just gunfire. Seems to be a rumour though.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
    so

Wait are they making a third Dragon Age? Man.

so

it would definitely be cool to see a new IP

maybe they could do a western!

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    Sarksus wrote: »
    so

Wait are they making a third Dragon Age? Man.

I heard rumours about that. Rumours I heard here though. Hang on. Will investigate.

ftOqU21.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    If bioware make me pay for a proper ending fuck them, that should be free if it happens.

so

Gay cowboys.

Oh, yeah, it's confirmed. They're doing DA3.

ftOqU21.png
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/21/inside-the-ring-436080940/

There are other sources. They're all just rumors though. I know a few people here live in China so I was hoping somebody might have some info here.

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know any good tricks to finding files

I have searched my g-mail, gone through my documents file on both computers, and checked my school e-mail

I KNOW I did this I just have no idea where it is.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Does anyone know any good tricks to finding files

I have searched my g-mail, gone through my documents file on both computers, and checked my school e-mail

I KNOW I did this I just have no idea where it is.
    don't you just hate it when you hide your secret porn so well that you can't find it when you want to

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/21/inside-the-ring-436080940/

There are other sources. They're all just rumors though. I know a few people here live in China so I was hoping somebody might have some info here.

honestly unless they live in the relevant part of beijing itself, they are unlikely to have better information than random Chinese netizens

aRkpc.gif
    If bioware make me pay for a proper ending fuck them, that should be free if it happens.

No they should definitely suck money out of the whiners.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    so

Eeeeeeh. More shooting?

They're not really all that good at it. Like, they got some bits down that was really fun eventually - the shooting itself, in ME3, what with all the weapons and such - but they're still doing bad sticky cover and such

maybe if they get the chance to start over they can make gameplay that's thoroughly good, instead of something that at best feels rotten in the core.

I'm just thinking

what kind of game would be best for them? What would benefit most from the bioware way of doing things?

ftOqU21.png
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

you say that as if that didn't happen to Dickens

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.