As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I have an MP3 player dilemma

MarthMarth Registered User regular
Today I lost my trusty refurb 4 gb Zune. I mourned it for a little bit while also thinking about possible replacements. It basically boils down to iPod vs. Zune. Should I...

Bite the bullet and buy a 8 gb iPod Touch? It's about $190 on Amazon. I would definitely appreciate the bigger feature set. I was already planning on getting one once my Zune bit the dust. I just wasn't planning on that being so soon.

Go cheaper and get a previous-gen iPod nano? I only really need it for music and podcasts. I found a 4th gen refurb on Amazon for about $80. I might go for that.

edit: Upgrade slightly and get a refurb Zune HD? I spy a 16 gig for under $115. Extremely tempting.

Or just buy another, identical (refurb) 4 gb Zune for about $50 (again, on Amazon)? This is currently the most tempting option; I enjoy the Zune.

Buying refurb can be pretty risky; I know I was pretty lucky to have my Zune last over 2 and a half years without any major problems. I could also go Android, but I'm not sure if all my podcasts are available on Google Play. I need software that updates with podcasts, and iTunes and Zune are the only two I know of.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
Marth on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Given that you were previously using the smallest model Zune, you might want to go with the Zune HD--it's a lovely piece of hardware, has wifi/wireless syncing/browser support, and more importantly, all your music is already organized in Zune, so it would make for the easiest transition. Same for podcasts.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is it time to upgrade your phone, too? WP7/7.5 phones have the Zune software integrated.

• Options
    Getting a phone is out of the question. I couldn't afford that right now. Besides, I would still want a standalone PMP.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ah, okay!

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    The Zune HD also has a digital amplifier (or whatever that thing is called) better than some models of smartphone, if you've got hearing sensitive enough to make it out.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I don't know anything about Zunes, but I had a very solid 2 years of keeping my Ipod Touch on my pocket 24/7. It's really awesome. I especially liked reading on the kindle app (I'm crazy, I know). The ipod-music-player part is not great... nothing wrong with it, but it's pretty barebones. And you'd have to migrate to iTunes. I only stopped using my ipod when I got an iphone.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    If the thing is really just for music and podcasts, the current generation iPod Nano is excellent. I've had one for over a year now, and it still looks like new, the sound quality is excellent, and the interface is great. Since getting an iPhone, I haven't used it as much. I've just been using it exclusively for exercising, and it has taken it like a champ. Given you're also considering a new iPod Touch, you can get double the storage for 50 dollars less in an iPod Nano. If you want more things to play with, then yeah the iPod Touch certainly offers more.

I'm sure migrating from Zune to iTunes will be a bit of a pain, though. If you're thoroughly pleased with your current Zune situation, maybe picking up a leftover Zune of some kind could hold you over until you can justify picking up a Windows Phone? It does seem like Zune hardware will basically be Windows Phones from here on. I dunno. Tough call...

• Options
    Oh, yeah, the new nano is pretty great as music player, especially for exercising. And you can wear it as a watch (with the appropriate accessory).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Sansa Clip+ softmodded with Rockbox.
    /thread

No, really, that is the absolute best MP3 player setup on the market and it's dirt cheap. The audio quality is great once Rockbox is on there and the battery lasts all day long. Plus it even has a micro SD slot on it for even MOAR music space! I'm not sure what else you could possible want out of an MP3 player.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    /thread

No, really, that is the absolute best MP3 player setup on the market and it's dirt cheap. The audio quality is great once Rockbox is on there and the battery lasts all day long. Plus it even has a micro SD slot on it for even MOAR music space! I'm not sure what else you could possible want out of an MP3 player.

Can I set downloaded podcasts to resume where I last stopped them?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Marth wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    /thread

Can I set downloaded podcasts to resume where I last stopped them?

I'd have to check tbh, I never listen to long files like that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Ok, now i want a clip+ and I don't need one.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I listen to podcasts and audiobooks frequently on my ipod touch, but I gotta imagine the nano would do it just as well.

For what its worth, you're essentially paying the premium on the ipod touch for the fact that its a fully featured iOS device. Its like a smaller ipad, or an iphone without the phone part, if you want to look at it that way. I like it because I'm frequently near wifi and can (until I got my smartphone) use it for browsing the Internet and such.

Dhalphir on