As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Far Cry 3=Far Cry 1+2?

124»

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:
    I have seen "bro culture" and the 3 protagonists in the trailer come off to me as no more than 3 everyday young tourist folk.

I dunno mang, if I go to some exotic tropical island and I see an AK-47 sitting on some dude's table, my first instinct would not be to pick it up, pull the charging handle, and mug for the camera at how awesome I am. And then call the guy a dick when he tells me to piss off. Just sayin'.

You can do a quick google image search of people just posing with weapons, unobtainable women/men, historic buildings, expensive vehicles and what not on trips. Someone is always saying, "Hey! Hey man! Get a shot of me with this stuff! It'll look cool when we look back on it!.......Ah fuck! No flash photography! Lame."

And on the Nathan Drake thing, yeah the guy can commit genocide and climb sheer walls but he looks like a guy you would see in everyday life and not Marcus Fenix. Apparently FC3 guy was prior military (of course) so that gives some slide to how he at least knows how to blow people away.

Oh and yeah...stupid American backpackers. There are a fuckton of those guys always going the wrong way and ending up on the news.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Are you guys being serious? I think some of you guys are being serious, right?

"The music the kids are listenin' to these days, I tell ya..."

"If some little hooligan like that came my way, well I'd let him know, I sure would. I'd tell him to get off of my lawn and get a job!"

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh and yeah...stupid American backpackers. There are a fuckton of those guys always going the wrong way and ending up on the news.

You mean like the backpackers who were held by the Iranians, one of whom (backpackers) was from my highschool? Yeah. This shit happens where tourists / adventurists fuck up.

• Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Maybe he joined the marines and got dishonorably discharged for throwing a knife into his superior's neck. So now the goal is to drown our sorrows in alcohol on some remote island.

But then things go terribly wrong and the main character must embrace the monster he became in basic and use his primal instincts to survive! The story is about his internal struggle with survival and maintaining humanity. In the end he finds the girl, but she recognizes him for the animal he has become and throws herself off a cliff.

KnifeBro: Origins

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Look all I know is that I will enjoy stalking mans. And maybe I'll play the game too.

• Options
    Iceshot22Iceshot22 Terre Haute, InRegistered User regular
    I was more dissapointed with FC2 than anything. I was introduced with instincts: predator for the 360 and loved it. . I wish they would have kept going in that direction. Gotta say, this game is looking very promising.

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend code-2578-3543-8236 | Xbox GT- IceShot22
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Guessing the games main character would appeal more to some of you if he was a 30 something hulk of a man and a ex-special forces?

That would be a hell of a lot more appropriate.

• Options
    3_eyed_weasel3_eyed_weasel Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTOKJTRHMdw
    Is this the main antagonist?

samorostsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Zxerol wrote:
    I have seen "bro culture" and the 3 protagonists in the trailer come off to me as no more than 3 everyday young tourist folk.

I dunno mang, if I go to some exotic tropical island and I see an AK-47 sitting on some dude's table, my first instinct would not be to pick it up, pull the charging handle, and mug for the camera at how awesome I am. And then call the guy a dick when he tells me to piss off. Just sayin'.

You can do a quick google image search of people just posing with weapons, unobtainable women/men, historic buildings, expensive vehicles and what not on trips. Someone is always saying, "Hey! Hey man! Get a shot of me with this stuff! It'll look cool when we look back on it!.......Ah fuck! No flash photography! Lame."

Then he's a tourist asshole in a long, prestigious line of tourist assholes. That still doesn't endear him, because an insufferable jackass is still an insufferable jackass no matter if he's in good company of insufferable jackasses.

Realtalk, though, I really don't care about whether he's a "bro" or a general dillweed or whatever the fuck silly stereotype people like applying for a two minute trailer or whatever. I'll suffer through worse if the game is in anyway compelling. But I remember disliking the last FarCry game tremendously, that's the reason I'd be down on this game right now, not the main character. Who knows though? Maybe they've learned and this game will actually be awesome if Ubisoft could pull another AssCreed 1->2.

But then I remember I play on the PC and this is made by Ubisoft. Ooops!

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ubisoft, after much focus group testing has decided to respond to the outcry against the music and main protagonist of the latest installation of the AAA Farcry franchise. Gamers simply found the character "someone they couldn't relate to, a douchebag. Most likely a hipster too." So artists have gotten to work to create something more in line with their perception of the modern gamer. Accompanied by a more conventional soundtrack, Ubisoft hopes to repair this breach with their audience.
    I KID, I KID
    <3

Drake on
  • Options
    Where do I send my monies, drake?

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    A commenter on RPS noted how the game has an experience system (I forgot, but yeah, you get XP for pew pewing), so it could make a bit of sense that after escaping by freak accident, your character appears more and more skilled within the narrative as it progresses as well. Or, you know, he could be ex-military (although this is not typically how that type of character is portrayed in these sorts of things).

Yeah, but it would be a nice change of pace.

I, and I imagine various others around here, have been in the military, and the vast majority of people in the armed forces aren't typically hulking brutes, even if they are special forces or are trained to kill. Many would appear just like someone who happens to take care of themselves, who also just happen to be capable of killing your face. Think Matt Damon in Bourne before he hulked up himself. Or hell, most humans in Mass Effect pre:Jacob/Vega. Given the look of the guy in the trailer, he could easily be that smaller, well physiqued guy, who happened to have been a Seal or something.

I wouldn't mind. The marine cut military brute is way past a cliche at this point. And it's not even realistic or reasonable.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    =brody quest v1=
    Jason's gotten good at shrouding his past, having had lots of practice as he continued to woo his new best friend. But when his best bro hit the floor, never to bro again, Brody could feel his mind snap. In an instant, the comforts and fixtures of his new life fell away. Stripped to his rawest form, he descends into an orgy of violence!

=brody quest v2=
    Ex Navy Seal Jason Brody was planning on having a nice brocation in the brohamas, but there just had to be bad guys to screw everything up.
    Too bad for them, Jason's a standard killing machine, and messes all the indigenous hooligans right up.

=brody quest v3=
    Man! I sure like fun video games and am not judgmental or anything!

rRootagea on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think we're looking at this bro hero (or as I shall call it, "he-bro") all wrong. Maybe we get to play as the insane madman bent on forcing his rule on everyone "freedom fighter" and these American douchebags show up. As valiant patriots, we then have to fend them off using our inferior resources but superior cunning. Also, we get to murder random people to keep the populace in line.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Okay I've been reading along but you guys really should watch the interview videos that also came out. That'll straighten out a whole bunch of mistaken assumptions I'm seeing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    But that would require coming out of our Judgmental Cave and paying attention! I want to blindly hate things and call things "bro" because it's what *I'm* into. Fuck your logic, man!

Personally, the E3 trailer sold me on this game. Everything else just has to maintain that.

Also, dude is a little bro-y, but not more so than Drake. I saw no half-tuck.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Also, if the guy was like a hulked up ex spec ops/space marine mother effer, every one would be saying

"Oh that's real original, jeeze... why can't we get something different?"

Its lose/lose, man

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    To be honest I was sold the instant I found out they were making Farcry3. The second was phenomenal IMO.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Far Cry 3 trailer made me think "The Punisher Goes Hawaiian." Friends dead/captured and there's noway off the island? Fuck it, time for some rageahol induced wholesale slaughter.

As long as the protagonist isn't as amazingly retarded as the one in FC2 I'll be good. Controlling a mercenary with a massive case of down syndrome is never entertaining.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I'm not watching the trailer because I don't care. Can I set a base on fire and pick off the people running from it with a sniper rifle?

If the answer is yes, they have my money.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Apparently console footage?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT-QQcBNQeA
    I'm liking what I see so far; just keep the action Far Cry PC/FC2 style and I'm sold. Don't really agree with the regenerating health; given the kind of brutal nature the game's trying to convey I'd prefer at least some kind of system where real medical attention is required if you get banged up too much.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Looks like pure tedium to me. They should have evolved the concept of FC2 instead of just making another linear shoot em up.

• Options
    I think they're keeping the system where if you get shot too much eventually you'll have to bandage yourself or worse, pull a bullet out from an arm. And that footage looks very, very promising.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    Footage looks good. More Far Cry 1, less mutants.

What strikes me, though, is just how easy it looks. I mean, I understand the guy showing it off probably spent hours doing it, and it's on the easiest setting... but, damn, it's less like a video game and more like a movie where you press buttons.

Also, not a fan of dubstep. Sounds cool in Syndicate, futureworld, where clearly nobody uses real instruments anymore because future. In this it just makes me think of Syndicate and how I'd like to be playing that.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    For the whole bro-rage thing, yeah, obviously people are overreacting to it. It wouldn't be any fun to have a reasonable response. Plus, even a mild bro is a pretty stupid character to have considering the stereotype is supposed to incorporate lobotomy levels of stupidity.

Regardless, an ex-military guy would still be the only thing that actually fits in a game like this. Some random dude getting mad doesn't just automatically gain super-training; at least an ex-military guy has years of training and experience as a reason for why he can do crap like chuck knives with perfect accuracy and run-and-gun with an AK47. I'd say calling an ex-military character for this kind of game "cliche" would be like calling a machine gun "cliche" for this type of gameplay. Yeah, you could give muzzle-loading muskets or nerf guns, but then it just doesn't make any sense.

Personally, my hope is that we get to see the open environments of Farcry 2 without the gamebreakingly bad design flaws like insanely short respawn times and enemies being able to rubberband chase you all through the jungle. Whatever good there is in Farcry 2, I can never find it because I get so sick of those awful mechanics that I just give up on the game.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    Far Cry 2 is at it's best when you've done and found everything, with only the final mission left. When you have access to everything you want, and don't have to pay any regard to objectives.

Here's hoping that if Far Cry 3 has any sort of openness, RPG mechanics or upgrades, that it comes with a "fuck it all and freeroam" mode at the end.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dudebro or not, when he picked up that AK I was about to yell at my screen about trigger discipline but dat straight finger. I just sat there going:
    polls_funny_pictures_proceed_cat_3244_626572_answer_7_xlarge.jpeg

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    anybody else bothered by the "leveling up" system? you see in that helicopter mission playthrough

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So the new trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0c7P-GI0CU

I have NO idea where they are going with that psychedelic stuff. But I'm pretty sure I need to get this now!

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    What the hell is going on with this game?

Better than the dubstep trailer, though.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    So the new trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0c7P-GI0CU

I have NO idea where they are going with that psychedelic stuff. But I'm pretty sure I need to get this now!

Hrm. I think the psychedelic/drug stuff could add a lot and make the story and action really interesting, if done right. But it was kind of jarring to have all the narration i the video be about the brain and drugs, but then have 90% of the actual video be pretty generic FPS action stuff.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Learning so far that people have issues with guys who look like everyday modern guys in video games. Can't remember but was there a backlash for Nathan Drake when he first came on the scene? What about Gordon Freeman or Kyle Katarn?

Guessing the games main character would appeal more to some of you if he was a 30 something hulk of a man and a ex-special forces?

It's not that he is a normal dude, it's that he seems like a pretty dumb and annoyingly naive normal dude. And if you've seen the gameplay trailer, it doesn't gel at all that a normal guy would be so good with guns and weapons and hunting dudes alive, unless he has a really terrible secret origin as a circus performer or something. Basically the story feels like it will be really poorly tacked on to a game that is all about varied precision combat, and I am not ready to suspend my disbelief that much.

Gordon Freeman was a physicist. Kyle Katarn was a space bad-ass. Nathan Drake is a professional adventurer. Jason Brody is a really annoying tourist who chose to do a kegstand and some shots on the wrong island. There is no way for me to care about or relate to him at all when his own stupidity gets him into this whole thing.

Love Half-Life, but that always confused me. WHY can Gordon shoot so well?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Speaking as a bro, I would love to know where my fellow brotagonist learned to throw knives like that on the go. That'd be a sick party trick.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Learning so far that people have issues with guys who look like everyday modern guys in video games. Can't remember but was there a backlash for Nathan Drake when he first came on the scene? What about Gordon Freeman or Kyle Katarn?

It's not that he is a normal dude, it's that he seems like a pretty dumb and annoyingly naive normal dude. And if you've seen the gameplay trailer, it doesn't gel at all that a normal guy would be so good with guns and weapons and hunting dudes alive, unless he has a really terrible secret origin as a circus performer or something. Basically the story feels like it will be really poorly tacked on to a game that is all about varied precision combat, and I am not ready to suspend my disbelief that much.

Gordon Freeman was a physicist. Kyle Katarn was a space bad-ass. Nathan Drake is a professional adventurer. Jason Brody is a really annoying tourist who chose to do a kegstand and some shots on the wrong island. There is no way for me to care about or relate to him at all when his own stupidity gets him into this whole thing.

Love Half-Life, but that always confused me. WHY can Gordon shoot so well?

He probably played murder simulators FPS games all day.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Speaking of Half Life, anyone else get a G-Man vibe from the narration in this trailer?

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    I would be comfortable with this game having at least the option of doing a Heart of Darkness type of deal where I eventually become a jungle island warlord in my own right.

• Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    ha! awesome, I definitely like that new video/drug idea. I don't like em but man I love alchemy in Skyrim!!

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Man they could just call this Terms of Enrampagement: The Game. Easy sell.

Are you the magic man?