As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] Passover at PAX

CapaneusCapaneus Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in PAX Archive
My wife and I were curious to see if anyone else at PAX was planning to celebrate the holiday, and if anyone was planning to hold a seder at PAX. Could be fun!

Capaneus on

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I would look into whether the Chabad House in Kenmore Square is holding one (they usually do), and many of the local colleges have Hillel on campus who do seders.

I'm personally trying to figure out which one I'll be skipping in order to advance my PAX fun. It'll probably be the 2nd seder, only because I really wanna go to the saturday night concert.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I'm not Jewish, but I have been to a Seder, and I really enjoyed it (watching a friend's balding head turning red from the horseradish was a highlight). If there was someone who had a house large enough to hold a PAX seder, I'd say that is your best bet. Barring that, like giga said, look up MIT Hillel or Harvard Hillel or another college Hillel.

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm not Jewish, but I have been to a Seder, and I really enjoyed it (watching a friend's balding head turning red from the horseradish was a highlight). If there was someone who had a house large enough to hold a PAX seder, I'd say that is your best bet. Barring that, like giga said, look up MIT Hillel or Harvard Hillel or another college Hillel.

Dont forget Boston University, Boston College, Emerson College, Northeastern University, Suffolk University, Tufts University, Brandeis University..etc etc. Those are the schools I KNOW have Hillel on campus but there's bound to be a few more.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    We could always find a short haggadah, get some wine, and ask people to bring different Seder components and have one in one of the hotel rooms. I think that might be a lot of fun! We can do readings in character voices and stuff!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • Options
    Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    We could always find a short haggadah, get some wine, and ask people to bring different Seder components and have one in one of the hotel rooms. I think that might be a lot of fun! We can do readings in character voices and stuff!

I think something like that would be pretty cool if it could be practically done.

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Sentient6 wrote:

I think something like that would be pretty cool if it could be practically done.

Most hotel rooms have Mini-fridges, so you could make some of the stuff ahead of time, like the Charoset, roasted eggs, and herbs. You could also look into Kosher markets in Boston (it's a large city, I'm sure there is some place you can go for it) for the rest of it.

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    @Sentient I think we talked about doing something a little at the MD meetup.

I'd be up for something, as long as we didn't have to go far from BCEC, i have a room at the Westin where I would definitely be willing to host it. The only potential issue I'm seeing is how we get the stuff. I don't know how close you all are or how you are getting there, but I am flying so I can't take any food. However, I also am coming up Thursday so if I have a mini-fridge which I should we can store things there Thursday.

Also, I don't know if any of you are planning to keep it, but for those of you who are maybe we could also figure out some food places where we can find kosher for passover friendly meals.

• Options
    @Sentient I think we talked about doing something a little at the MD meetup.

I'd be up for something, as long as we didn't have to go far from BCEC, i have a room at the Westin where I would definitely be willing to host it. The only potential issue I'm seeing is how we get the stuff. I don't know how close you all are or how you are getting there, but I am flying so I can't take any food. However, I also am coming up Thursday so if I have a mini-fridge which I should we can store things there Thursday.

Also, I don't know if any of you are planning to keep it, but for those of you who are maybe we could also figure out some food places where we can find kosher for passover friendly meals.

I agree - I don't want to go to a Hillel, because I don't want to go to far from the center. I am taking the Sonic Line in, so I can make some stuff ahead of time. We should create a list of what we need and divvy it up among everyone. Maybe a brave soul will venture out to get some fresh brisket? Otherwise, I am sure we can all pitch in for dinner.

@nevermore, I'm planning on trying to stay Passover-friendly, but I am going with a group of mostly non-Jews, so I am not going to be super strict about it. I bet we will find a bunch of Kosher friendly options when we are looking for places to get food from!

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be eating passover-friendly during the con. PAX is hard enough to eat at (with the weird eating schedules and the inaccessability of food at different times) that this added challenge seems a bit insurmountable to me. Although I suppose instead of packing a bunch of pb&js in my bookbag this year I can just pack a bunch of pb&js on matzoh. :P

I'd maybe be up for a mini-seder on Friday night. "Nerdy-PAX-seder" would certainly be a cool change of pace from my family's usual "stuffy-old-school" seder. Nice of you to offer to host, nevermore! I'm staying in the Seaport so I could easily pop over to the Westin. Also, I make some bangin charoset if I do say so myself (Great-grandma's recipe - to give props where props are due!).

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    VariVari Registered User regular
    My family is actually in town so I'll be trekking in a northernly direction for Passover. But this seems like a fantastically rad idea. Have a blast and I would love to see PAX-seder pics after the event. ^_^

• Options
    LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    I'm going to be flying in for PAX from Virginia and wouldn't mind doing a seder with a bunch of other people! I don't know my travel plans just yet because I don't know exactly what days I'll have off (I might get a 4 day weekend, I might not). I should know by end of March, though.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
  • Options
    I know it's way early but, just to get an idea we would be thinking of just doing one on friday right?

• Options
    DemonWolfDemonWolf Registered User regular

I don't think that you will be able to bring alcohol into the convention center. In one of the hotel rooms should be fine, but you cay not be allowed to carry it all day before/after.

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    you can then hide the afikoman somewhere on the convention floor. maybe a few of them. passover attendees that find them get to lead the next PAX seder and get a badge. NOT a yellow star though.

my gf and her cousin are jewish and may be in for this. i'll pass this on to them. sounds like a great idea.

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    even though it starts friday, we'd probably be down for a thursday night meet up.

• Options
    As I mentioned i'm good to host in my hotel room but it would have to be friday and can't confirm time yet. That is if there is enough interest.

• Options
    Hi All, so we are getting closer to April - SO EXCITED! Are we really going to do this? If you are interested in prepping something for Sedar send me a message. :) Thanks!

• Options
    MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    @LadyAmalthea - holy crap that name and that avatar just hit me square in the eyes. one of my favorite books of all time.

anyway...

I just discovered this thread and I have to admit that it's a FANTASTIC idea! For what it's worth, I usually make charosets for my buddy's seder. i can also read hebrew if that helps.

so, that being said, if you peoples really are doing this I'd love to throw in, and I can bring homemade charosets at least (it keeps well, and I'm bussing from NYC).

if anyone could PM or e-mail me any details as they become available (IF they become available?) that'd be great. my e-mail is my forum name at gmail.

...and umm...we could still make the Protomen if we did this, right?

• Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Popping in here. I have a friend who is baking for me for the Cookie Brigade, and she's going to be making Passover-friendly cookies. Not sure what they will be yet.

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    Passover-friendly cookies seem like a great idea. Please let me know if this is actually happening and if we are still planning to use my hotel room ASAP so that I can plan accordingly.

• Options
    razorboyrazorboy Product Manger TorontoRegistered User new member
    and then we can all conjure up a Passover themed sequel to the Binding of Issac......

• Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    Passover-friendly cookies seem like a great idea. Please let me know if this is actually happening and if we are still planning to use my hotel room ASAP so that I can plan accordingly.

I'm no longer able, so please count me out. Not sure about others who have commented.

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    Tentatively still in, but I won't know until probably a week before hand what my schedule will be like or even where I'll be staying.

• Options
    I know commented back in November, but I'm still in for something schedule permitting. I can't really bring much on the plane with me though.

• Options
    Unfortunately, it does not look like I will be able to host anymore. Sorry for all who were still expecting me to do so.

• Options
    TheMilkmanTheMilkman Registered User new member
    So is this still going to be happening? Because I'm incredibly interested.

• Options
    zertechzertech Registered User regular
    Ill be going to easter mass, but i almost wish i was Jewish, this sounds awesome lol.

• Options
    Hey seder people (I'm Capaneus' wife). We are coming to PAX with four other family members. We wanted to run our own seder, possibly at the convention center's cafeteria. I was thinking of bringing a cooler with seder related foods. The plan was to do part one (pre-meal stuff) of the seder the first night and part two (post meal) the second night. Note: we'll be doing things in Hebrew and English (my cousin is Israeli, I'm bilingual) and we'll be doing food sepharadic style. We wanted to schedule the seder around panels and activities we didn't want to miss. (We can have an interesting seder discussion about assimilation vs adaptation.) Also, we'll be doing grape juice, not wine.

The problem we are encountering is that on Saturday night my brother's wife doesn't have a pass to get into the convention center. (And we had a couple of friends we wanted to join us.) So either we get special permission for people to come into the cafeteria without doing the rest of PAX or find an open cafeteria like space that is close to the convention center.

Message me if you are interested in joining/coordinating!

• Options
    Unfortunately, and I mean this - I really do, I won't be able to go since Wizards is play-testing the 5th Edition of D&D on the first night. I know that a lot of people, myself included, were looking forward to it. I am going to host a belated-seder when I am home. I hope everyone has a great Passover, maybe we can met up for lunch or something and support the Passover-friendly cookies! Best, Lady A

• Options
    Capaneus's wife here again: FYI (after looking at the schedule & assuming nothing else changes) we are going to be doing passover seder (part one) from about 5pm to 7:30pm in the cafeteria. Please let me know if you are interested in joining at any point in time. I can't provide dinner for everyone, but I can bring extra matzah, charoset, eggs, and seder plate stuff.

• Options
    mosslovermosslover Registered User new member
    Are you guys still planning the seder for Saturday? If so, I can probably purchase some stuff and take a small cooler up from NYC Friday night. I might to grab some cookies from a local bakery or something cool.

• Options
    Capaneus wrote: »
    Capaneus's wife here again: FYI (after looking at the schedule & assuming nothing else changes) we are going to be doing passover seder (part one) from about 5pm to 7:30pm in the cafeteria. Please let me know if you are interested in joining at any point in time. I can't provide dinner for everyone, but I can bring extra matzah, charoset, eggs, and seder plate stuff.

I would be interested in joining for a bit, if it wouldn't be considered rude for me to disappear off to the concert lines at some point. Don't want to be disruptive to anyone or bum too much off anyone's food.

• Options
    Personally (I don't know if other people are doing other things), we'll only be having a seder on Friday. If anyone wants to join us, you can do so for as little or as long as you like.

• Options
    I'm sorry, I'm no longer available. Friday I'll be in transit to PAX, not arriving until middle of the night. I'm actually right now trying to get a flight and hotel room.

• Options
    JWhiteJWhite Registered User regular
    I'm still shocked this is not being called PAXover. ;D

6943193407_855156285d_m.jpg
  • Options
    MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    JWhite wrote: »
    I'm still shocked this is not being called PAXover. ;D

that's good stuff!

I was really eager to do this and even PMed people but it seemed like the whole thing got bailed on. As it stands I've built plans for these Friday hours. Sucks because I thought this was a great idea (and I would've gladly brought my famous homemade charosets).

So then, have fun guys. If I'm in the area at the time maybe I'll pass through just to say hi? And I'm not bilingual but I'm phonetically literate in Hebrew characters.

It's really too bad...but I'll probably stop by en route to my next thing all the same.

Chag sameach!