As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Obama Administration: Re-Elected! 332-206 (Probably)

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Urcbub wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    It's a simple logical conclusion.

You see, the NRA is putting all the money they....

No, wait. Let me start over.

After Obama gets re-elected, he and his cronies will...

Argh, I give up. When did real, stupid statements surpass my ability to come up with completely stupid reasonings as to why they aren't stupid statements?

Sarah Palin

A name that is synonymous with death and ignorance.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Argh, I give up. When did real, stupid statements surpass my ability to come up with completely stupid reasonings as to why they aren't stupid statements?

Sarah Palin

I've noticed she's clammed up but good after the horribleness with Gabrielle Giffords. Only one or two blurbs in the media since then as far as I can tell. Although it might just all be going through channels I don't normally watch.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Shadowen wrote: »

Sarah Palin

I've noticed she's clammed up but good after the horribleness with Gabrielle Giffords. Only one or two blurbs in the media since then as far as I can tell. Although it might just all be going through channels I don't normally watch.

She actually didn't shut up then.

She shut up a bit after when it was discovered that Giffords was part of a national map she had a hand in producing, with very violent overtones to it. She at first tried to claim it wasn't real, then she tried to pretend it didn't exist by retconning the "target symbol" for Giffords out of the map. The internet being the internet, and her being fairly stupid, apparently she forgot that caches exist.

Shortly after reports surfaced that Rep. Gabrielle Giffords had been shot point-blank range during a meet and greet event in a Tuscon area Safeway parking lot, the managers of the website for Sarah Palin’s website SarahPAC took down some controversial imagery that included gun sight symbols over various congressional districts in political play, many on Twitter noticed that a site endorsed by Sarah Palin called Take Back the 20 was no longer live. The site included controversial imagery: gun sight symbols over various congressional districts in political play, one of the targets on the map was that of Rep. Giffords. At the time, SarahPAC received criticism, even from some conservatives, over the imagery. Update – Its not clear that the image was actually removed from the SarahPAC website, though the site that originally posted the image, Take Back The 20 is down, and it still remains on her Facebook page.

Sarahpac1.jpg

The image does, however, still appear on Palin’s Facebook page.

Palin has also reportedly deleted her infamous “Don’t retreat, reload” tweet. Update: The “Don’t retreat, reload” tweet was not deleted.

The website Daily Kos has also deleted a diary about Rep. Gabrielle Giffords entitled “”My Congresswoman Voted Against Pelosi, Now She’s Dead To Me,” but so far has not deleted a post by founder Markos Moulitsas that lists Giffords’ district among those on their “target list,” and noted that “Not all of these people will get or even deserve primaries, but this vote certainly puts a bulls eye on their district.” (emphasis ours).

screen-shot-2011-01-08-at-1-56-04-pm1.png

Moulitsas also used the occasion of the tragedy to work in a Twitter plug for his book, “American Taliban.”

AmericanTaliban.jpg

The tweet, it’s worth noting, was sent well before the shooter’s identity had been released.

For her part, Sarah Palin offered the following comment via her Facebook page:

"On the tragedy in Arizona
    By Sarah Palin · about an hour ago

My sincere condolences are offered to the family of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and the other victims of today’s tragic shooting in Arizona.

On behalf of Todd and my family, we all pray for the victims and their families, and for peace and justice.

- Sarah Palin"

While some will take these deletions as some sort of consciousness of guilt, there’s also something to be said for sensitivity to the victims, their loved-ones, and well-wishers. It seems, in some quarters, such sensitivity is in short supply.

Update: To the extent that these items have not been scrubbed, perhaps they now should be, or at least revised in some way.

This post has been updated to reflect that the “crosshair” image still appears on Sarah Palin’s Facebook page. We also have clarified that we are not certain that any images have been removed, only that the original website was down. The headline for this post has been changed, from “SarahPAC Website Removes “Hit List” Image That Included Target On Giffords District,” then to “SarahPAC’s Removes “Hit List” Image Of Giffords District, Her Facebook Page And DailyKos Post Remain,” to its current headline.

Notably, none of this stopped her from keeping the image up on her facebook page in its original intent. They just did some PR work so that only the "die hards" would see it, instead of the public.

How people can support that woman in good conscience is beyond me.

Also, it should be mentioned that that only shut her up for awhile. I recall hearing something about her touring the US on the dime of people who donated money, trying to drum up a fake "election prospects" thing. Which of course got her more money before she bailed and headed back to Alaska. I don't know the finer details of that however.

Archonex on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    If the stakes weren't so high, I'd applaud her for taking advantage of the American political scene like that.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Not really. He would've passed it eventually if the Republicans had left it alone. There's no reason not to build it so long as it's not going through Ogallala. All the State Department wanted was enough time for TransCanada to find an alternate route.

It will use a ton of water from our aquifers, result in essentially no American jobs, and terminates in a tax-free zone so no one benefits but oil companies.

There is no reason to build it unless you are an oil company.

It's hugely disappointing that it's getting built at all.

I don't know, it's a bit of a stupid boondoggle but it's not like they would have paid any tax anyway. At least it makes the canadians happy I guess, and Id rather have the oil transported in pipes than in trucks.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thing is when the shooting happened Palin didn't express any decency. Instead she doubled down on the stupid and posted the blood libel video. The map was dumb but hardly unprecedented. If her site had just pulled it with a statement of support for the victims everyone would've forgotten about it in a week

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Thing is when the shooting happened Palin didn't express any decency. Instead she doubled down on the stupid and posted the blood libel video. The map was dumb but hardly unprecedented. If her site had just pulled it with a statement of support for the victims everyone would've forgotten about it in a week

That wasn't an option for Palin. That would be giving into the liberals, which is perceived as a weakness among Republicans.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I have a good friend that's pretty awesome all round. But he posts stuff like this. I'm not even angry or confused or surprised anymore. It just makes me want to donate more to Obama's campaign and e-mail these links to friends and be all, "Don't let them win. Look at this shit." And its only going to get crazier!!

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Some days I freaking love this president.

Deaf Student 'Speechless' After Obama Responds To Him In Sign Language
    As first reported on Distriction, Stephon, a student at Prince George Community College, was standing in line after an event on energy policy with President Obama and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, waiting for a chance to shake hands with the president. As the president was shaking hands and making his way through the crowd, he met up with Stephon, who was born deaf.

"I am proud of you," Stephon signed to the president.

Not missing a beat, President Obama signed back: "Thank you."

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Among the many serious problems with the Ryan budget, Republican budget proposal, is its dramatic cuts in some of the absolutely essential programs that we need to sustain and the investments that we need to make to secure America's economic future. Education, Pell grants is one; investments in clean energy is another.

I mean, again, it is -- you have to be aggressively and deliberately ignorant of the world economy not to know and understand that clean energy technologies are going to play a huge role in the 21st century. You have to have severely diminished capacity to understand what drives economic growth in industrialized countries in this century if you do not understand that education is the key that unlocks the door to prosperity.

Unusually aggressive from them. To just call them morons.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Well its true, every single agency that predicts energy supplies shows oil running out sooner rather than later this century

You have to be bad at math or believe jesus is going to return soon to not base policy around that fact. Unfortunately, Americans fall into columns A and B

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Some days I freaking love this president.

Deaf Student 'Speechless' After Obama Responds To Him In Sign Language
    As first reported on Distriction, Stephon, a student at Prince George Community College, was standing in line after an event on energy policy with President Obama and Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley, waiting for a chance to shake hands with the president. As the president was shaking hands and making his way through the crowd, he met up with Stephon, who was born deaf.

"I am proud of you," Stephon signed to the president.

Not missing a beat, President Obama signed back: "Thank you."

to be fair, "Thank you" is one of the easier ones to know. But, knowing what the kid said...

My heart, it has melted just ever so much more.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    My uncle just posted this to Facebook:

http://www.wnd.com/2012/03/sheriff-joe-tons-more-shocking-obama-info/

And I just don't even. I respected him a lot more before he got a Facebook. :(

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Trump's investigators also uncovered a "ton of stuff" that we are still waiting to hear about.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Not really. He would've passed it eventually if the Republicans had left it alone. There's no reason not to build it so long as it's not going through Ogallala. All the State Department wanted was enough time for TransCanada to find an alternate route.

It will use a ton of water from our aquifers, result in essentially no American jobs, and terminates in a tax-free zone so no one benefits but oil companies.

There is no reason to build it unless you are an oil company.

It's hugely disappointing that it's getting built at all.

I don't know, it's a bit of a stupid boondoggle but it's not like they would have paid any tax anyway. At least it makes the canadians happy I guess, and Id rather have the oil transported in pipes than in trucks.

It doesn't make most of us happy, only Herr Harper, our dictator (who it is looking like rigged the last elections) who is selling the country off piece by piece as rapidly as he can because he is realising that there is no way in hell he's getting another term.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular

God, why did I read the comments.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

I can't tell the trollposts from the real ones.

• hanskeyhanskey Registered User regular

Poe strikes again!!!

It's World Net Daily, they're all real.

• Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited March 2012
    edit: Nvm. Internet, sleep. *waves hand*

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/03/obama-heckled-at-ohio-state-118382.html

Obama completely owned this guy. This still speaks to the lack of civility and respect he gets from his opponents.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    fortis wrote: »
    http://www.politico.com/politico44/2012/03/obama-heckled-at-ohio-state-118382.html

Obama completely owned this guy. This still speaks to the lack of civility and respect he gets from his opponents.

Ugh, I read the comments. People in this country do not deserve democracy. I suppose it's a good thing it's being taken away from us.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Later in the speech, more hecklers shouted "block the pipeline" in reference to the Keystone XL project — part of which Obama fast-tracked in an earlier speech in Oklahoma.

So was the heckler liberal or conservative? Was the book the heckler demanded Obama read about saving the environment or was it about lowering taxes?

At Ohio State, it was probably about how Michigan sucks.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    He's the President, he already knows Michigan sucks

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited March 2012
    We gave him an honorary doctorate when he spoke at commencement, so somehow I doubt that. Maybe y'all can get Vilsack.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2012
    So the President nominated a new head of the World Bank today. Shockingly it was not Larry Summers.

EDIT: Krugman calls the choice inspired, so that's good news.

enlightenedbum on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    This ad made me laugh

10mufro.jpg

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Respek knuckles

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    There has been a concerted effort to spread disinformation and manipulate the comments on reddit regarding this issue.

The DailyKos and other blogs tried to push this idea that the NDAA has been "vetoed" by the Obama admin.

He actually did two things:

1) Promise not to use detention powers on US citizens in a signing statement.

2) Hand down rules for various departments/agencies in the executive branch to follow.

He can choose to ignore either of these two at will (and they have absolutely no bearing on future administrations.)

Propagandists like JK13 or Skeletor would have you believe that the 2012 NDAA (aka the Detention Bill) is no big deal and changes nothing from the 2001 AUMF. They're lying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gstBozWfhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tO2irR2Wj8

http://www.salon.com/2011/12/16/three_myths_about_the_detention_bill/

And before anyone posts that propaganda article claiming that the Carl Levin C-Span footage was doctored or edited you can see the original clip and compare it with the congressional record(Warning PDF) (the video picks up at the second paragraph in the middle column).

He articulates very clearly. There is no context that his words can be placed in to give them a different meaning. You can read the entire session for yourself and see the context.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    These powers are nothing new.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The governments been doing this shit since the Revolutionary War FFS. It's shitty, but it's how it goes.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Err, there aren't many examples of the government deciding it can indefinitely detain american citizens at will (and most of the ones that do exist aren't really defensible.) There's Lincoln during the civil war, and that's pretty much the only one I can think of.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    right, those go in the 'not really defensible' category

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Err, there aren't many examples of the government deciding it can indefinitely detain american citizens at will (and most of the ones that do exist aren't really defensible.) There's Lincoln during the civil war, and that's pretty much the only one I can think of.

FDR in WW2 maybe? Though I think that was just for the duration of the war obviously.

This is a bigger problem with out War on Terror! mindset. Congress (and most Americans) are so ready to fork over powers and rights in the name of defending us from terrorists. Lindsay Graham made that speech about how "if you're a terrorist you're giving up your rights!".

If it were me I would redo our entire approach to Homeland Security.

But at the end of the day, I trust Obama with this power a helluva lot farther than I'd trust Santorum or Romney.

Lh96QHG.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Respek knuckles

More like a terrorist fist jab.

I don't think anyone's trying to defend this kind of thing, I don't want anyone having this power but short of "hang all the lawyers" I don't see how we get away from it. Literally every politician on the national stage would go for this.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DexterBelgiumDexterBelgium Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    What I'm wondering is what Obama could have done differently (even aside from the interpretation issues (the Young Turks can't read, imho), the NDAA as signed remains a horrible POS), in the opinion of the people STILL whining about this:

1. Veto the entire NDAA?
    a. the veto would be overridden in days (2/3 majority was available and willing), or, just to twist the knife, a few months while congress took its well earned recession and THEN could come back and "save" all the military families who would have been "starving due to Obama's leftist agenda and hatred of the military" (see b.).
    b. the NDAA is first and foremost the entire military budget. That means Obama would have VETOED VA benefits, soldier pay and needed armor for the troops. The horrible fact of the matter is that Congress allowed those essentials to be held hostage by this POS, but still.

=> end result: huge political damage to Obama's re-election chances, for ZERO real gain.

2. Drone bomb all elected U.S. representatives apparently to dumb to live that allowed those provisions to be added to this bill and THEN veto the bill?
    While I would applaud the sentiment, you'd probably hear EVEN WORSE cries of (benevolent) dictatorship.

3.???? profit?

Oi, "progressives" whinging about this:
    trap.jpg

Obama avoided it by biting through it. Congress (and especially dumbass (D) representatives) allowed an essential piece of run-of-the-mill legislation necessary for the proper operation of the country to be usurped by horrible, horrible attacks on civil liberties, CUZ TERROR. The person to be blamed for this is NOT the president (who merely took the lesser of two evils, in choosing an enacted NDAA over an enacted NDAA + a side order of republican president in 2012).

Please refute the above, and then we'll get into the interpretation, if you want.

DexterBelgium on
This discussion has been closed.