As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's go back to my place and I can put my bar magnet into your solenoid [For Science!]

ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morningAnd the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
Are you a science major or scientist-by-trade (mad or otherwise)? I know there are a number floating around.

Today was my day to go down to the fish room maintained by my lab advisor and feed them. I get down there and discover that apparently overnight there was some sort of fishpocalypse, and three tanks of fish are dead or dying.

I hate going down there to find that sort of thing, and in my two and a half years there it's not even the first time it's happened. :/

Tell me about your day, or a typical day for you. What sort of joys and pitfalls do you face daily doing what you do?

GIVE TO ME YOUR SCIENCE-RELATED ANECDOTES.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
ceres on

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    I had a hard time keeping track of my litters because the mice were always cannibalizing each other

Never had to clean up a mousey corpse that I didn't make myself though so there's that

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I enjoy the inhaling of various organic solvents daily.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ugh i hate that sort of thing. I once accidentally painted over a bees eyes while trying to mark it (it wouldn't stop fidgeting) and i felt so awful.

Today I spent an hour outside filming the sky with some specially designed cameras, which was rather pleasant, unlike last month when it was bloody freezing and I caught a cold because I hadn't worn enough clothes. But generally I like it when I get to do outdoor work rather than sitting in an office bludgeoning my head on intractable programming problems. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll manage one or two trips traipsing around in ponds looking for dragonflies.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    im a bio major who has forgotten any interesting things that have happened recently

oh oh today a bug fell in my blouse and i only cried a little!!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    bugs?

I like those

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i came up with a believable neurological explanation for the fact that creative people are often also add

too bad i'm not a neuroscientist

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I played with lasers today

also I probably inhaled way too much soldering smoke

• Options
    i was soldering stuff in my office all november/december and it was too cold to open a window so i probably half poisoned myself. Especially since I was using my shitty iron (I have two) to mold and cut plastic.

... if OH&S ever bothered checking out my floor they'd probably have a heart attack.

• Options
    Not many funny anecdotes where I am.

Excitement usually means something is on fire.

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Raise your hand if you're probably getting cancer eventually from exposures in your lab (everyone should be raising their hands)

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    Getting cancer is part of the job description.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My 5 year old nephew, this morning, was wearing a t-shirt that featured a Godzilla-sized Apatosaurus rampaging through a city and crushing buildings.

I asked him what was on his shirt. He told me "It's a dinosaur. A BRONTOSAURUS!"

I asked him what he was doing. He told me "He's stepping on buildings and killing all the people!"

I asked him why he was doing that, he must be a mean dinosaur.

He said "No, Unkie D, it's just a shirt, there were no cities when dinosaurs were alive."

I said "ha ha yeah I guess you're right. You sure know a lot about dinosaurs!"

He said "YEAH! I'm a Scientist!"

#pipe on
  • Options
    Little kids are pretty awesome.

Mostly because they are so impressed when I use dry ice to turn water from deep purple to orange.

Science

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    tynic wrote: »
    ugh i hate that sort of thing. I once accidentally painted over a bees eyes while trying to mark it (it wouldn't stop fidgeting) and i felt so awful.

Today I spent an hour outside filming the sky with some specially designed cameras, which was rather pleasant, unlike last month when it was bloody freezing and I caught a cold because I hadn't worn enough clothes. But generally I like it when I get to do outdoor work rather than sitting in an office bludgeoning my head on intractable programming problems. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll manage one or two trips traipsing around in ponds looking for dragonflies.

There is a retired professor who shares my prof's lab, and he works with Drosophela and Oncopeltus ova and raises both. I have seen him and his students dissect soooo many of both species, and I can always tell when there's a new undergrad floating around because I have to keep my coffee cup covered. Fruit flies love coffee.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Raise your hand if you're probably getting cancer eventually from exposures in your lab (everyone should be raising their hands)

Oh my goodness am I ever. On top of all the DAPI, ethidium bromide, and and trizole I've handled, I have spend most of my undergraduate degree to date elbow-deep in colon cancer.

• Options
    Some of the guys in my department work with Calliphora, who breed in shit. Every now and then they have to go out on an egg-gathering expedition ...

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    diptera is not the most pleasant order

• Options
    Oh yeah, and the UV. Can't forget the UV.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    boy, am I glad I'm not studying biology

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »
    diptera is not the most pleasant order

Personally, I avoid them.

• Options
    Look, it's not all cancer and poison

well, I guess these days most of it is

But hey, there's always the ecology guys

• Options

man everyone's probably getting cancer eventually anyway.

• Options
    let's all just be lepidopterists

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

you're missing out on the coolest discipline

• Options
    I have some aqua regia laying around here somewhere, Pip.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    somebody do science on my junk

preferably a lady

preferably sexy science

• Options
    We have top men working on it.

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »

you're missing out on the coolest discipline

talkin about astronomy?

• Options
    can science explain time-traveling posts?

• Options
    I'm taking physics now and I have to say it really is pretty cool.. especially circuit-building.

Too bad I'd never make it as a physicist; I will never get the right-hand rule right. Or math. Mostly that second thing.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    can science explain time-traveling posts?

neutrinos.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    man eff the laws of science, it's all about the science of law

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    As far as I can tell the forums are more of an art than a science.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    ceres wrote: »

When i have my biologist hat on I'm just doing ethology, which is a very un-cancerous discipline. Well except for when i'm in australia in summer I guess.

the fumes i expose myself to are purely voluntary, mostly come from dicking around with my hobbies rather than real work, and are almost certainly against university regulations.

tynic on
  • Options
    The number of time-traveling posts in this thread is amazing.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »

When i have my biologist hat on I'm just doing ethology, which is a very un-cancerous discipline. Well except for when i'm in australia in summer I guess.

the fumes i expose myself to are purely voluntary, mostly come from dicking around with my hobbies rather than real work, and are almost certainly against university regulations.

That's interesting because in my studies I've learned that being in or associated with Australia causes cancer.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    bugs?

I like those

surprising noone

• Options
    my junk is my penis btw

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    my junk is my penis btw

His top men really probably are top men, though.