As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

My Eyes Hurt

CubaPeteCubaPete Registered User new member
Hi guys, I've been visiting the site for about five years now, reading the comics and the news posts. I'm in IT, but have never had bad eyesight so to speak - I don't require reading glasses. But for some reason whenever I'm reading the news post for a few minutes, once I look away it's as if I've been staring at the sun because my vision is dark and takes about ten seconds to re-adjust - my logic is that my eyes have issues with the white text on the dark blue background.
This isn't a bug - or maybe it's a bug with my eyes... but would you please consider an alternate color scheme that users can switch between? Perhaps black on white for the news posts, just as an accessibility option. I love the comics and posts, and would hate to have to stop reading for fear of wrecking my eyes.

Thanks,

-Erik 8-)

CubaPete on

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2007
    Tycho and Gabe don't read the forums. Try e-mailing them.

Also, I'm confused by your handle being Cuba Pete, yet your name being Erik. Are you from 1946?

Aroduc on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CubaPete wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been visiting the site for about five years now, reading the comics and the news posts. I'm in IT, but have never had bad eyesight so to speak - I don't require reading glasses. But for some reason whenever I'm reading the news post for a few minutes, once I look away it's as if I've been staring at the sun because my vision is dark and takes about ten seconds to re-adjust - my logic is that my eyes have issues with the white text on the dark blue background.
    This isn't a bug - or maybe it's a bug with my eyes... but would you please consider an alternate color scheme that users can switch between? Perhaps black on white for the news posts, just as an accessibility option. I love the comics and posts, and would hate to have to stop reading for fear of wrecking my eyes.

Thanks,

-Erik 8-)

PEBKAC

Alternately, I'm pretty sure there are Firefox extensions that let you change the appearance of websites to suit you. Given the size of PA, someone has probably written the theme you describe for such a plugin.

MKR on
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You can set the pages to display without any fancy pants color formatting by going to "View>Page Style>No Style" in your browser, I think. What would make even more sense would be a custom style thingy to put in that menu that you could use for PA, but I don't know how to make those or how they work.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Search in your Search Engine of choice for User Style Sheets.

You can do just about anything you like

Afty on
  • CubaPeteCubaPete Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    You can set the pages to display without any fancy pants color formatting by going to "View>Page Style>No Style" in your browser, I think. What would make even more sense would be a custom style thingy to put in that menu that you could use for PA, but I don't know how to make those or how they work.

Nice one! That's a lot better, my eyes aren't burning no more woohoo.

And thanks Aroduc, I realise "Gabe" n "Tycho" don't really read every forum post. I was directing my request to whoever reads bug/problem reports for the forums/website, and assumed it was linked to some degree.

And CubaPete is from the movie The Mask when Jim Carey does a cool dance with maracas; "Oh yes I'm Cuba Pete - I'm the king of the rumba beat! And when I play the maracas I go chic-chicky-boom!"

CubaPete on
  • Jazz SamuraiJazz Samurai Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was hoping this was a thread to complain about the forum's horrible theme.

Oh well.

Jazz Samurai on
    yup
  • CubaPeteCubaPete Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    Well the forum has basically the same colour scheme as the main site, so I guess I'm indirectly bitchin about that too.

CubaPete on