As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    annie talk of series 7 is what started this whole dang thread

love that movie

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    BraggiaBraggia Registered User regular
    Enjoyed the first book. Thought the second and third were terrible.

Hopefully the movie is entertaining.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't know how they're even gonna adapt the books. A whole lot of it is internal monologue.

• Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    I don't know how they're even gonna adapt the books. A whole lot of it is internal monologue.

It will just be a musical with lots of fights and then songs like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFEDTtKaFzU

PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I thought the story was interesting, I liked what they eventually did in the sequels, even if the writing was not great.
    The fact that they kept pointing out that President Snow's breath tasted like blood was pretty dumb. Yes we get it, he is the villain.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Artreus wrote:
    I thought the story was interesting, I liked what they eventually did in the sequels, even if the writing was not great.
    The fact that they kept pointing out that President Snow's breath tasted like blood was pretty dumb. Yes we get it, he is the villain.

weeeeeeeeeeeelll
    that's part of what happens when you do a first person narrative and then make what a dude's breath smells like a big traumatic thing for your narrator

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    So having read the spoilers, that's basically what I thought would happen, so now I don't have to read the other books

Woooo

• Options
    msmyamsmya Being Fabulous Registered User regular
    I love this series and I'm excited for the movie to come out. =)

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular

Have Morgan Freeman narrate it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I heard this is basically Battle Royale, and that the author claimed to have never heard of Battle Royale.

Who hasn't heard of Battle Royale?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I heard this is basically Battle Royale, and that the author claimed to have never heard of Battle Royale.

I hadn't until this thread, so... sorry? Anyway I liked these books, which I only read because the trailer made it look interesting, so I'm curious to see how the movie translates. My biggest problem with the book series was the perspective, honestly, first person present is a hard perspective to pull off and you'd better be damned talented to do so and there were several parts where the author's choice of perspective just sort of made it unfun and inconsistent to read.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    so I haven't read any of these because they looked like fairly trashy young adult ficiton

are they not?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I'd define them as trashy, Skull Man. But I get the feeling you wouldn't enjoy them.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's not like Twilight where the romances are really digusting. The romance actually take a decent step back to the rest of the story.

I feel like either I'm too dumb or too layed back to care about how "badly" a book is written. I read it and I liked the story and I could follow it, I feel like that's all I need to enjoy something. This also counts towards movies, like how everyone says Natalie Portman is a bad actress but she never offends me when I'm watching something. I dunno. If I'm having fun I don't really care if it's ~fancy~.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I agree with you 100% Sara, thats what I was thinking myself and just want sure how to phrase!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Skull Man wrote:
    so I haven't read any of these because they looked like fairly trashy young adult ficiton

are they not?

They are absolutely trashy young adult fiction. The first one is enjoyable enough despite what it is. The second two are pretty bog standard YA, i.e. terrible.

That trailer is a bit crappy, but I'm sure the film will be fun enough for what it is.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    i wonder if i'd enjoy these books

like i can read something and totally know its trash but enjoy it indepndent of being trash

the bit in my brain thats supposed to alert me to stop liking something because of quality is broken

• Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I enjoyed the first one because it made me feel 14, definitely trashy young adult fiction.

This thread makes me glad I never bothered reading the rest.

I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    The idea that she must have ripped off battle royale because at 10,000 feet they look similar is pretty dumb. Sometimes people come up with the same general idea independently.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

It's me! I hadn't heard of it.

I dig The Hunger Games for what they are. They're fun and quick. (That's what she said)

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote:

Listen at least his name wasn't Darken

ipsesignew.jpg
    Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    IpseDixit wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

Listen at least his name wasn't Darken

To be fair, being named "Snow" isn't that much better. It's just foreshadowing with a hint of irony, instead of just blatant foreshadowing. Though really, to be the president that presides over an unending series of televised adolescent fights to the death it would have been a tremendous twist if he had turned out to be an admirable human being.

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    I get that it is for younger teenagers, but was it really necessary for her to give every capital citizen the most roman names possible. We get it they are like the romans, thank you.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I really should read these again

I hhhaaaaattteeeeddd Mockingjay though

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    well YaYa that is because Mockingjay was bad.

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    Although I liked the trilogy as a whole, I sort of wish it had just been a one shot story. Given a little more closure at the end of the first book and be done with it. Even if you don't have closure on the society as a whole, that's fine.

I liked the universe in general, but I didn't care for the characters as much, especially in the last two books. Catching Fire was a shameless transition book, the first half of it felt more like a long epilogue for the first book. Mockingjay was in a lot of ways too much of a departure from the previous two.

Thankfully they're all short enough that you can read them all and if you didn't like one or two of the books then it's not a big deal.

QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    (Long time poster in G&T thread, haven't been to SE much, blah blah)

While it is minorly agitating to have most people around me be extremely hyped about the movie, I at least hope its good. Funny thing is, in the trailers, 75% of the characters are what I viewed the people in the book as. The city is close enough.

Something odd I find in the trailer is that instead of running at the usual 24 frames per second movies go for, half the time I'll see the footage and it looks like its going 30-60 frames. While that might not make sense to some of you, I find the slower movements of movies sort of make the action and things on screen more "epic". Perhaps they're trying to get a reality tv show feel, which is what the Hunger Games are.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Re: Book 3 and the final mission
    It's pretty strongly implied that the whole point of that mission was that Coin was trying to kill the remaining Tributes so that no one would be as popular as her after the war or whatever. She just took advantage of Katniss's desire to kill Snow and see "real" action to make it happen.

That said, the last book is pretty dumb.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Jesus, this movie has some young-adult-novel-ass character names, doesn't it

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

Normal names are boring :P

• Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    Haymitch

HEY

MITCH

HAAAAAAY

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    just watched this film

wasn't expecting much, but it was good!
    they should not be allowed to make films where kids die like that

just

oh god

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    just watched this film

just

oh god
    however they died, it probably was supposed to be more gruesome. i read the books. they would've been rated R.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I'm bumbling through the first book.

The actual start of the hunger games was quite exciting!

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    just watched this film

just

oh god
    however they died, it probably was supposed to be more gruesome. i read the books. they would've been rated R.
    I have no idea how this isn't R

One kid looks seven and he gets his throat slashed open

another looks the same age and is impaled by a spear

the last one to die is eaten alive as he screams, before he's mercy killed with a headshot

children should not watch this film

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    just watched this film

just

oh god

the last one to die is eaten alive as he screams, before he's mercy killed with a headshot

huh!
    all right, yeah. sounds like they got a good deal of it and it should've been R. very weird.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Olivaw wrote: »

Olivaw

You've got good insights, that was one of the things that was bugging me the most when I read the first book.

Edit- My Dad emailed me a while back to tell me he was reading the book, I replied to the effect that I had heard it was an American Battle Royale. He responded with "What's Battle Royale?" I'm debating if I should tell him to watch it or not.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    just watched this film

just

oh god

huh!
    all right, yeah. sounds like they got a good deal of it and it should've been R. very weird.
    granted, some of it isn't seen directly since they speed things up too fast to really see what's going on or you only see part of it

still disturbing

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    So is this movie good or what? I read the book in like one 3 hour sitting about almost 2 years ago and I don't remember most of it

I do not like this Taylor Swift song that has been posted

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    Basically should I watch this movie or just go buy Predators on DVD and watch that instead

sig2.jpg