As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GURPS 4e Recruiting

Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Critical Failures
Okay, I have not decided exactly what kind of game I want to run with GURPS.

We'll discussing that in detail in this thread.

Currently, I'm leaning towards three possible types of game;
1) a Dungeon Fantasy game that starts off with an urban adventure before branching out into a sandboxy style campaign.
2) a Banestorm campaign centring around your characters being assassinated seemingly at random and then being resurrected somewhere else as prisoners of a mysterious conspiracy.
3) a modern day horror and mystery game, where the characters are exploring a strange and remote mountainside area where apparent supernatural occurences are being reported.

Anyway, if interested in a GURPS game, be sure to list what books you got and what kind of game you'd like to play - not just the genre, but the kind of mood and plotting.

Over to you guys!

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
Grey_Chocolate on

• Options
    edited February 2012
    EDIT: Never mind...My mistake.

Grey_Chocolate on
    Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    Well crud, cause I TOTALLY would be down for a GURPS based horror/mystery game.

• Options
    Hey, we're still recruiting!

The second post was just an error on my part...

However, there's seems to be no other interested forum users other than you.

• Options
    Okay then, I see two options. #1, we start character generation with just me and hope that maybe the interest+page bumps drums up interest for a super cool mystery/horror game, or #2, we just chat in here, and hope page bumps do the same.

I played GURPS once or twice probably...oh....15 years ago? So it might take me a bit to get into it.

What do you think?

I just looked up banestorm too and that sounds pretty cool, but mystery/horror still is my first choice.

• Options
    Crimson PhantomCrimson Phantom Registered User regular
    I've never played GURPS before but if you can point me in the direction of some pdf's to look it up I would be down for it.

• Options
    OMG, Crimson's Alive!

That means all we have to do is get Korsahn to come back to the boards, and we can resurrect the 4e game!

• Options
    Also, you can download a gurps lite .pdf from sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Lol yea I've been off the boards for a while. Classes have been killing but I got a bit of a break this semester so thought I'd visit my old haunt :)

Also thanks for the link. I'll download it tonight and actually read when I'm not drinking

Edit: On a side note I know I need to change my tag since non of those games are running anymore but I REALLY don't want to!

Crimson Phantom on
  • Options
    Actually, we have everyone but Korsahn posting to the boards again to reboot the serpent swallows its tail game.

what do you think?

• Options
    I'd be down for it, but I'll have to re-read the story again :P

Now onto the topic of this discussion...I read the GURPS lite rules and would totally be down for it. I'm sure any specific books that I need I can either get at my local shop or find a pdf version online somewhere.

• Options
    Well, that's two for a modern day Horror/Mystery game.

Who else is down?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    This is play by post or live game?

• Options
    Helios127Helios127 Registered User regular
    I love me some GURPS. Personally I preffer science fiction stuff in GURPS but I am fine with anything. Hope this gets off the ground!

• Options
    Hensler wrote: »
    This is play by post or live game?

Play by post, on these boards.

• Options
    So, do we think this is gonna happen?

• Options
    Alright, if we're going modern horror here, let me give you a pitch - just the first idea for a campaign I had in mind. Think it's interesting?

You're playing 150-point characters, with up to -50 points of disadvantages and 5 quirks.
    TL 8, modern day.
    Realistic characters with no supernatural or cinematic traits.
    Equipment may be subject to restrictions, depending on the character. No Patrons or Duty is required, as you're all just basically mercenaries at this point.
    Recommended books: High Tech, Tactical Shooting, Martial Arts, Horror and Mysteries.
    The setting's local CF: Western
    Local Language: English

Characters are 'private security forces' hired by a wealthy industrialist to check out the Blue Mountains area in search of the industrialists' missing brother (a man called Lucas Kincaid), who seems to be trapped in a mysteriously quarentined part of the Blue Mountains area.
    The government have not released details on the nature of the 'disaster area lockdown', but it seems that no communication in or out of the disaster area is possible, as the disaster has apparently knocked out vital infrastructure. What few details can be scoured from the scattered reports of fleeing survivors, many believe some sort of supernatural creatures have begun attacking the towns around the mountains at night. The lockdown started three days ago, and it has been five days since Kincaid last contacted anyone. Kincaid was on vacation at the Blue Haze luxury resort in the town of Mount Victoria at the time.
    Backgrounds of PCs may include treasure hunters, expert survivalists, ex-police, ex-military, explorers, bounty hunters, career criminals and other individuals used to danger and 'adventure'. They have been sent into the disaster zone as a search and rescue effort, carefully bypassing the national guard's blockades and into the town of Mount Victoria via the Great Western Highway. Whatever the truth of the disaster, Kincaid is to be brought back to Sydney safe and sound.

I say again, the game is set in the Blue Mountains area in Australia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mountains.

• Options
    netgremlinnetgremlin Registered User regular
    I haven't played Gurps in ages, is this game still going?
    I'll download the lite version if I can get a seat