As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Peff wrote:
    Did everyone see the latest preview video?

I really, really, really want this game to come out and just be massively successful.
    Yeah, I feel the same way. It's really a nice break from the fantasy and sci-fi rut MMO's have fallen into.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Peff wrote:
    Did everyone see the latest preview video?

I really, really, really want this game to come out and just be massively successful.
    Yeah, I feel the same way. It's really a nice break from the fantasy and sci-fi rut MMO's have fallen into.

Man, if I didn't all ready know it, I don't I would have realized this game was an MMO from that trailer. Not sure if that is a good then or a bad thing, but I can tell you daddy likey. :D

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I like the concept of the game but the gameplay I've seen just looks downright poor. I hope it's actually fun to play

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    This is the best example of gameplay I've seen so far, and I have to say, I'm impressed:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/03/15/the-secret-world-the-hound-of-the-nameless-days-boss-walkthrough

I find it interesting, too, that they didn't go through 30 minutes of trash to get to that fight. They entered the dungeon, they did the event, the boss fight was cool. I like game design like this.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • PeffPeff Registered User regular
    So has ANYONE made it into beta in any form...or is it just great white buffalo?

steam_sig.png
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    IIRC, the NDA on the beta is more strict that usual and you can't even divulge that you're in it.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
    Well, I'm not an NDA, so I can say I'm still NOT in the beta. Waggle your eyebrows a bit or something if you are.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    I am not in the beta. That is a fact. But I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not know someone who might have spent time beta testing this game.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Since someone right here in this thread told people to go check their emails I think we can assume that some are in the beta.
    Unfortunately I am not among them.

But I have been wondering why this thread was so inactive the last couple of months, this game looks really promising, I really like how they handle skills, creating your own "deck" on the fly, gear without stats and no lvls.

By the sound of it they're still in a pretty limited beta, I guess. That combined with the wariness people generally have for FUNCOM games means less hype.

edited March 2012
    Here's what went down with the GDC Presentation. There are some Dragon starting area spoilers, if anyone is concerned. They start at 3:27 and end at 8:18. Also in video: character creation, achievements, and crafting.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Wow, nice.

• darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That dragon intro sequence.... :winky:

/seriously though, Follow a child in a raincoat to a hotel then some chick in a red dress gets you off... wtf

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    PAX East folk will get to play the game there...they're also giving away keys for the upcoming public beta.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/pax_2012

/jealous

steam_sig.png
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

/seriously though, Follow a child in a raincoat to a hotel then some chick in a red dress gets you off... wtf

But it's so

organic

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    My friend made an humorous comment about Funcom a few days ago in regards to Secret World.

"It's Funcom, so you know it's going to be the most amazing, original, unique concept you've ever seen. Then their execution will be fucking terrible and everyone will quit after two months."

Or something to that extent =D Hopefully they (finally) learn from their past experiences and not release the game until it's actually functional and has a relative degree of polish.

edited March 2012
    Antithesis wrote: »

But it's so

organic

Raincoat kid reminds me of Dark Water, except instead of it leading to a creepy watery demise you get blowjobs. As well, if that is how she inducts every Dragon member (no pun intented) the quest you get right after better be a trip to the STI clinic.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just want a black leather trenchcoat, shades or some mystical metal wolf head mask, and dual pistols or katanas.

Give me these, and I'll take more interest in your game then "Conan was just ok. I'm not looking forward to this one much."

Kadoken on
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I just want a black leather trenchcoat, shades or some mystical metal wolf head mask, and dual pistols or katanas.

Give me these, and I'll take more interest in your game then "Conan was just ok. I'm not looking forward to this one much."

By the sound of it, that is actually pretty likely. Wolf mask may be slightly harder.

steam_sig.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I really want a wolf helmet in a game. Nothing that looks strictly like a realistic wolf head, with snarling and eyes and stuff. More like a wearable helmet version of the Witcher 1 coverart, with less outward spikey bits and more wolfyness. Also thicker and wider so you can wear it.

Also, thanks for replying.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Peff wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

By the sound of it, that is actually pretty likely. Wolf mask may be slightly harder.

A three moon wolf T-shirt then. Truly, we shall be the most intrepid of basement dwelling stereotypes adventurers.

I still can't get over the fact that Travis Touchdown is narrating the horrors of the Secret World to me in these trailers. I half-way expect him to suddenly stop mid-narration, kick down a corroded wall, and decapitate the nearest Cthuloid abomination while screaming the word "Fuckheads!" or some other wonderfully eloquent turn of phrase. It's definitely a bit jarring, though he does an excellent job voicing these things.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the old beta offers and tests being applicable or not? They had a sign-up years ago. Then they had another completely different sign-up process from what I understand, and completely retooled their old site so that i'm reasonably certain you can't even get access to it anymore.

Archonex on
    Well, for those of you desperate for wolf stuff, apparently you can get a pet wolf if you pre-order.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/pre_order_now_access_exclusive_beta_weekends

I haven't even gotten to play yet, but guaranteed beta access, an in-game clothing item, a pet and a bunch of other perks.

Those sound like some HEFTY perks for pre-ordering, too. That's more like what I'd expect a digital collector's pack to look like.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    i want this to be really good, but I'm finding it harder and harder to justify MMO subs compared to time I can commit to them monthly and considering the great f2p options.

But this game's whole scenario is everything I want from anything.

Didn't want that money anyway....

steam_sig.png
    Big note: Apparently if you buy it from Funcom you get the cat. The doberman and wolf are from other vendors. So, be careful, make sure you pre-order from the right store.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    So tempting...but Funcom, you've burned me once (sorta, I did enjoy what time I played AoC, but it had so much unfulfilled potential), so not sure if I'd be willing to risk a lifetime, especially with GW2 around the corner as well.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    edited April 2012
    The preorder packages confuse me...is it the 49.99 + package cost then?

Edit: nm, figured it out.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    I am going to wait and see how people at PAX like it. The lifetime is a little more than the cost of a year subscription, but since my last lifetime sub lasted only 3 months before I got bored of the game (Champions Online) I am a little shy to drop the cash on something I might play for only a month or two.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Agent PropagandiAgent Propagandi Registered User regular
    Lifetime subscription?

Lord of the Rings Online, Hellgate, Star Trek Online... what's one more in the pile. :oops:

Steam | Origin: AgentProp | Website
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hm, 199GBP for us Imperials.
    Anyone know the price for the yankees and euros?

This sorta story heavy game is something that I might actually be interested in getting a lifetime sub for.

SquiddyBiscuit on
    steam_sig.png
    $249.98USD (including the game price) lifetime for us Colonials.

steam_sig.png
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    US$ 249.98 = 156.580019 British pounds

... ouch.
    VAT difference is going to be their excuse I bet.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Big note: Apparently if you buy it from Funcom you get the cat. The doberman and wolf are from other vendors. So, be careful, make sure you pre-order from the right store.

Which vendors give the wolf?

Because I know I made a three moon wolf shirt joke before, but that wolf actually looks badass. Like something that'd tear out your throat if you turned your back on it. The other pets look fairly lame by comparison.

I figure if i'm going to preorder, I had might as well get the quadrupedal killing machine instead of a fluffy cat or nice canine.

I'd need to play it a bit before I decide on a lifetime sub. But everything during AoC's development, and afterwards, indicates that this game was where they were putting the majority of their real talent and resources.

Archonex on
    Archonex wrote: »

Because I know I made a three moon wolf shirt joke before, but that wolf actually looks badass. Like something that'd tear out your throat if you turned your back on it. The other pets look fairly lame by comparison.

I figure if i'm going to preorder, I had might as well get the quadrupedal killing machine instead of a fluffy cat or nice canine.

I'd need to play it a bit before I decide on a lifetime sub. But everything during AoC's development, and afterwards, indicates that this game was where they were putting the majority of their real talent and resources.

As far as I can tell from the site they haven't announced it. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

As far as I can tell from the site they haven't announced it. I haven't seen it anywhere else.

The preorder offer makes it seem like you get a choice in-game of one of the pets, ala WoW's CE pets for the vanilla version.

Is there some announcement saying that different vendors give different pets?

edited April 2012

Wolf: Gamestop

Dog: Amazon

Cat: Funcom

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    I am going to wait and see how people at PAX like it. The lifetime is a little more than the cost of a year subscription, but since my last lifetime sub lasted only 3 months before I got bored of the game (Champions Online) I am a little shy to drop the cash on something I might play for only a month or two.

Most of the lifetimes for actual blockbuster games tend to end up being good, though.

Star Trek Online's a good example. As is LOTRO. Champions Online got screwed by Atari, the Emmert "vision", then screwed by Atari again, and now they're finally getting it back on its feet (Maybe.). It's a fairly special case.

Archonex on
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Most of the lifetimes for actual blockbuster games tend to end up being good, though.

Star Trek Online's a good example. As is LOTRO. Champions Online got screwed by Atari, the Emmert "vision", then screwed by Atari again, and now they're finally getting it back on its feet (Maybe.). It's a fairly special case.

I think Hellgate is the only one that got really screwed on Lifetime, even the shakiness that is DCUO has panned out well for the lifetime buyers (ie me)

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    edited April 2012

Didn't do a lifetime on LOTRO when I ordered it but I will admit I did get a fair bit of mileage out of the game... well.. played it originally for about 3 months, then went back and reactivated after Siege of Mirkwood came out (grabbed the expansions etc) one of the few that still is really great looking.

If Secret World can do that then it will be worth it (they still need to work on animations, and I hope the retarded Dragon intro isn't going to be a preview of things to come... )

Oh Hellgate.... you had such such potential... I had such a boner for the game, 3rd person Diablo with guns????

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
This discussion has been closed.