As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2012 BYOC Info/FAQ - Post-Event Feedback starts on page 14

• JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    btw, we will be at registration on Thursday 8am-8pm for BYOC badge pickup. If you are unable to grab your BYOC badge then, you will have to get it at PC Security when you check your stuff into BYOC :)

Thanks thats perfect

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    An update - primary construction complete. Nothing to do but trim, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, decals, clearcoat, components. Very tight on schedule. 12 days til I leave for Boston.
    IMG_0679%2520%2528Small%2529.JPG
    IMG_0681%2520%2528Small%2529.JPG
    IMG_0682%2520%2528Small%2529.JPG
    IMG_0683%2520%2528Small%2529.JPG

Overall length is 40 inches. I'll be encroaching on my friend's desk space a bit at BYOC, but he's only bringing a laptop. :)

p3HkbcM.png
  • JubileusJubileus Registered User regular
    Hello all,

I received my 3 day badge but did not receive a unique bar code that the BYOC registration confirmation email told me I would be receiving. Is this coming at a later date?

Also when going to the BYOC registration desk on Thursday am I required to bring anything else other than myself, the bar code, and the registration confirmation email?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

• benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Jubileus wrote: »
    Hello all,

I received my 3 day badge but did not receive a unique bar code that the BYOC registration confirmation email told me I would be receiving. Is this coming at a later date?

Also when going to the BYOC registration desk on Thursday am I required to bring anything else other than myself, the bar code, and the registration confirmation email?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

If it works the same as the last two years, the barcode is in an email you will receive, I don't believe they were sent out yet. You then take that barcode to WillCall Thursday night, or the BYOC on Fri-Sun to get your BYOC badge.
    You also need to bring your computer to the BYOC desk, since they will put barcodes on 2 items there as well.

Hope this helps!

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    What if I cant be there Thursday Night? Friday is still good right?

• JubileusJubileus Registered User regular

If it works the same as the last two years, the barcode is in an email you will receive, I don't believe they were sent out yet. You then take that barcode to WillCall Thursday night, or the BYOC to get your BYOC badge.
    You also need to bring your computer to the BYOC desk, since they will put barcodes on 2 items there as well.

Hope this helps!

That explains everything I asked. Thank you for your help!

One last thing: where is the BYOC desk in relation to the WESTIN hotel? I'm staying at the WESTIN and was wondering if it will be by the skywalk or not.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular

Yes, you can pick up your BYOC badge on Friday
    One last thing: where is the BYOC desk in relation to the WESTIN hotel? I'm staying at the WESTIN and was wondering if it will be by the skywalk or not.

BYOC is next to expo on the opposite side of the BCEC as the Skybridge. Have fun walking.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    whypick1 wrote: »

Yes, you can pick up your BYOC badge on Friday
    Jubileus wrote: »

BYOC is next to expo on the opposite side of the BCEC as the Skybridge. Have fun walking.

you quoted the wrong person, ftfy.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Bah, stupid nested quotes.

• thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ok so here is the situation... my friend got a last minute 3-day pass for pax! he wants to go to the byoc with us, but reg is obviously closed. My question is this... are the BYOC and the Freeplay area going to be in the same big room like pax east 2010, or will they be in separate rooms like last year? if they will be in the same big room our friend will most likely go and just play from there. does anyone know about the layout?

thr4sher on
    They are in the same area, right next to Expo.

Just to confirm, the BYOC and Freeplay are not on the same network so no LAN can happen between the two other than going to the internets?

they have been on the same network at previous pax events (or at least pax east 2010, but im pretty sure last year too). this allows for even bigger games, i think its the way to go.

I hope they are on the same network.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    They have always been on the same network.

BYOC and Freeplay are in the same area (not seperate rooms).

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited March 2012
    Is there a divider? How does one not secretly sneak into the BYOC?

Tichinde925 on
    Is there a divider? How does one not secretly sneak into the BYOC?

Theres a waist high divider, and security patrols to make sure people dont get in.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The BYOC area is a tightly controlled area that requires specific BYOC badges in order to access the area. Freeplay and BYOC are in the same room, and as BigRed mentioned there will be a waist high divider, and both sides will be on the same network.

To the comment asking what all is needed: In addition to the BYOC Confirmation Email that contains the Barcode and your 3-Day badge (for obvious reasons), you will be asked to present Photo Identification that must match the name we have on file for you in order to pick up your BYOC badge.

[H]olyGeekboy, So stoked to see your rig man.. Can't wait to do a half pipe with it! =)

Vapok on
    enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    edited March 2012
    So we shall get the email with the barcode next week?

With my 2 seats, Ill need both barcodes correct?

Tichinde925 on
    So we shall get the email with the barcode next week?

With my 2 seats, Ill need both barcodes correct?

Unless LANfest has changed their system you will just get 1 barcode. Just mention that you bought multiple badges and we will look it up to confirm then give you as many as you paid for.

What if I dont get an email with the barcode?

Would it be okay to print this out: http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&sub=stem&view=registration&eventid=1838

Or could you just search for me?

Would it be okay to print this out: http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&sub=stem&view=registration&eventid=1838

The webpage is not proof of purchase, and the link you provided will only work for you. Others will see their own registration information. The Barcode Emails, which have not been emailed yet, will arrive in your email box soon. As long as the email address you registered with LANFest is accurate, I don't think you'll have a problem retrieving the barcode email. In the event you do not get the barcode email for some reason, we do have methods for looking up your registration, however, be prepared for a few questions if you don't provide the Barcode email.

Vapok
  • deanodondeanodon Registered User new member
    Hi all,

Back when I signed up for BYOC I tried to get two passes. For whatever reason, LANfest only let me pay for one, so I tried it again and it signed me up for two MORE passes. I shrugged, and just called my friend who I was buying the second pass for and he bought his own. So I figured everything was fine and all the unpaid for passes would just go back into the pool when they timed out or whatever.

So I just checked, and those unpaid passes are still there. I don't want them, and I might as well free them up for someone else. Any ideas on how to do that?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    deanodon wrote: »
    Hi all,

Back when I signed up for BYOC I tried to get two passes. For whatever reason, LANfest only let me pay for one, so I tried it again and it signed me up for two MORE passes. I shrugged, and just called my friend who I was buying the second pass for and he bought his own. So I figured everything was fine and all the unpaid for passes would just go back into the pool when they timed out or whatever.

So I just checked, and those unpaid passes are still there. I don't want them, and I might as well free them up for someone else. Any ideas on how to do that?

Unpaid passes don't count towards the limit at all. Freeing up an unpaid pass opens up zero slots.

zerzhul on

If you dont get the barcode we can manually look you up. But if you come by when theres a line we will take care of all the barcoded people first just cause its way faster than searching for someone manually :P

zerzhul wrote: »
    Unpaid passes don't count towards the limit at all. Freeing up an unpaid pass opens up zero slots.

people on the unpaid list are still able to log into the lanfest site and pay for their seats tho (my friend did it just a couple days ago). will that cause a problem?

edited March 2012
    Hey Folks, just an update. As you might have noticed in the BYOC mailer, that there has been a change to the load-in / load-out procedure that had previously been communicated.

Sadly, we are no longer able to use the Loading Dock or Service Corridor on Level 0. However, the Convention Center has agreed to provide us with unrestricted access to the road that wraps around the BCEC to the west side. I'll quote the instructions from the BYOC Mailer here:
    --- Unloading on Friday of PAX ---

We ended up not being able to use the loading dock, but we do have easy access from the road for those of you driving. Here are some descriptions with pictures! (clickable links)

Pull in to the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramps. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Northwest.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be a security station there that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, simply cross the skybridge from the second level of the hotel and there will be signage to direct you to the pc from there. Thankfully it's not the long trek from the front of the BCEC like it was last year!

There will be tons of signage and lots of Enforcers available to assist you. The way this will work is that you can load-in your equipment to the BYOC Desk at the Northwest 1 entry on the northwest side of the BCEC. There you'll be able to "check" your equipment, get a "coat check" ticket and then go park your car. Then you'll be able to come back, retrieve your equipment (and get an approved two wheel cart - if needed) to travel to the PC Room.

As always if you have questions, please feel free to ask any of the Enforcers working the area. =)

Vapok on
    Vapok
    I put the email in the OP if anybody didn't get it for whatever reason.

Everyone needs to read it!

THERE MAY BE A POP QUIZ

• jugernughtjugernught Registered User regular
    Should we be lining up at the Entrance on the Northwest side Friday morning or the Main Entrance? How are we getting to the PC area. I don't see people bringing their systems down the escalators. If I remember correctly, the elevaitors are not very large.

• okgoldokgold Registered User new member
    So is group seating still available? or am I S.O.L for this BYOC? (fair enough since i'm so late to the game)

If I leave my PC in my car is there still a way to set up if there are no shows?

edited March 2012
    okgold wrote: »
    So is group seating still available? or am I S.O.L for this BYOC? (fair enough since i'm so late to the game)

If I leave my PC in my car is there still a way to set up if there are no shows?

Uhhh do you have a BYOC pass? If not then you cant get group seating.... Group seating is for those who already have BYOC passes and have a large group that wants to sit together.

jugernught wrote: »
    Should we be lining up at the Entrance on the Northwest side Friday morning or the Main Entrance? How are we getting to the PC area. I don't see people bringing their systems down the escalators. If I remember correctly, the elevaitors are not very large.

Northwest entrance is BYOC entrance. I /think/ you guys will be let into the building as early as 7am (what it was last year) but I am unsure on that one, will validate.

To get to BYOC from there you walk across the skybridge then down the escalator (or elevator) into the PC room.

BigRed on
    jugernught wrote: »

Our goal is to prevent people from having to wait outside of Northwest 1 entry for too long on Friday morning. The queue for Friday morning BYOC will be in the PC Room and you'll be able to enter the convention center at entry "Northwest 1" at around 7:00 AM (or as soon as I can get an Enforcer up there). There will be an elevator nearby that will take you directly to the PC Room. If you desire to use the escalator, you may, but most people will probably use the elevator. Use of Northwest 1 entry before 10AM will be solely for the purpose of BYOC entry. There will be Enforcers available to ensure that this is a smooth transition.

Northwest entrance is BYOC entrance. I /think/ you guys will be let into the building as early as 7am (what it was last year) but I am unsure on that one, will validate.

To get to BYOC from there you walk across the skybridge then down the escalator (or elevator) into the PC room.

No need to walk across the Skybridge. The Northwest Entrance is on the same side as the PC Room.

Vapok
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    What about those of us in the Westin? will we have to go outside and around the building?

JfqWFk8.png
    edited March 2012
    Vapok wrote: »
    No need to walk across the Skybridge. The Northwest Entrance is on the same side as the PC Room.

Yeah.. I know. I mentioned skybridge cause I was thinking about last year. derp.

BigRed on
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular

THERE MAY BE A POP QUIZ

Im not so good with pop quizzes

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
    Kilonum wrote: »
    What about those of us in the Westin? will we have to go outside and around the building?

I'm glad you asked Kilonum! Westin BYOC Attendees get a little special attention. Because of the connecting Westin Airwalk (that connects to Level 2 of the BCEC) there will be a BYOC Cart Pick-Up Station right at the end of the Airwalk from the Westin that you can use to wheel your equipment to the PC Room. In addition, you will be able to remain on Level 2, walk across the North side of the BCEC around the corner to the Northwest 1 Elevator to go down to Level 0.

This Cart Station will be manned sometime around 7:15am that morning. You may proceed to head for the PC Room from Level 2 after 7:00 am.

Vapok
    edited March 2012
    I hope this helps...

If Driving: Use Map Below.

If Arriving By Public Transit: Use Map below but walk to the Northwest 1 Entrance as shown on the Map.

If Coming From Westin: Walk inside of the Westin and over the Skybridge.
    bcec-byoc-drop-off.jpg

Vapok on
    Vapok
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Just got my barcodes! Can't wait until next week ...

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012

THERE MAY BE A POP QUIZ

Translations for other regionalisms:

Northeast: "There may be a soda quiz."

South: "There may be a coke quiz."

Other: "There may be a carbonated beverage quiz."
    (See: popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html)

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • nollienollie Registered User regular
    Thank you that map is super helpful! I'm kind of ocd on planning exactly how I will get everything in, when and where so you're pictures were perfect. :) I was imagining scenarios where I stop at the wrong door and have to trek my equipment all over the bcec...
    Also got my barcodes too, cannot wait!

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.