As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mafia [mini] II - Epilogue: Not so Professional now eh? Village and Skull Man Victory!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    stever777 wrote: »
    I'll have to ask kime what he thinks. :P

kime thinks that smoove shouldn't be so hard on themself

After all kime is the worst vig
    I thought that was phyphor :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, I learned four things in this game:

First, and most importantly for game balance, Mafia busdrivers verge on being OP. If the Mafia has a busdriver, the village needs some sort of equally OP power, perhaps something like an "unstoppable" vig, who can only be stopped via vigging or vote.

Second, I learned that other people think Thralls are equal to busdrivers in the damage they do. To some degree, I understand this train of thought because they hamper the seer, but they are killable and I always felt they balanced Masons and aren't nearly as destructive as busdrivers or conversions. Maybe I'm wrong on this one. Potential solution: have thralls seer as neutral?

Third, I learned that voting for yourself day 1 in multiple games is a good way to have the entire phalla community turn against you. I shall call this the Roman rule of Phalla.

And finally, I learned that I need to think before I post and not post stupid comments that doesn't reflect well on my character (er, relearned that anyways). Again, sorry for that. Was a little too excited and didn't mean to come off nearly that dickish.

Assuran on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    That last lesson is one we've all learned at some time or another.
    Well, at least some of us have... :cry:

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Thralls seem to be either mostly harmless (after all, they need to be seered to really have an effect), or completely devastating (if the village develops a hard network but admits a thrall in). I've been one of the latter myself, and I know how deadly they can be.

• Options
    Are we really going to try to have another "stever's lawl" thing? You need to just let the memes come naturally.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    If we're discussing vigilante accuracy, you should ask Phyphor about that.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    Are we really going to try to have another "stever's lawl" thing? You need to just let the memes come naturally.

That wasn't my intent, really. Was meant to be more lighthearded good fun than an actual "law" like Stever's Law.
    Baidol wrote: »

Mmm, I take it a story is behind this, dare I ask what happened?

Assuran on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Stever's law was silly, like stever himself often is. Which is why it's stever's lawl

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Stever's Law was a good cop & only 2 days away from retirement when Ahava killed him.

Ahava!!!

E - Not that I'm bitter but she really should see this -
    @lonelyahava

stever777 on

• Options
    stever's lawl was a loose cannon!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    He got results, you stupid chief!

• Options
    I want your badge and gun on my desk!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Don't make him go rogue on this town.
    It wouldn't be pretty.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Alright, once again I am forced to remind people I am a noob by asking about references that predate my time playing phalla. What is the Stever's Law/lawl thing?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Spoit, wanna handle that one?
    ...and be gentle.

stever777 on

• Options
    That replacements are supposedly more likely to be specials or mafia than average. Maybe with the caveat that it was only for requested replacements rather than innactivus? It shouldn't matter anyway, as it's silly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, little Gas, cuddle in and I'll tell you a story.

Once there was a beautiful and pure land called Phalla.
    Many came from far off just to see the glittering wonders and amazing doings of the high-minded and selfless citizens and wished, perhaps, they could someday be like them.
    But, there was a secret to this paradise which no one was willing to face, even unconsciously.

Those who sat high atop the Spires of the Temple of Phalla looked down upon the little pilgrims and thought there was no possibility that their way of life could ever be threatened.
    "Who are these lowly ones to question our ways and defy our edicts?", they mused.
    "We have no need of ancient ways. Our world is doing fine!"

But, they were not doing fine.
    Boredom and infighting had started to rear their ugly heads and many were not as pleased as they were told they were to be.
    A small but insistent sound began to move across the glens and fjords of Phalla.
    It started in low; then it started to grow.

"What's this?", fumed the Priests.
    "Didn't we declare no new ideas are to be allowed?
    How could it be so?
    They came without ribbons!...
    They came without tags!...
    They came without packages, boxes, or bags!"

Then, The Priests puzzled and puzzed till their puzzlers were sore.
    Then the Priests thought of something they hadn't before.
    Maybe Phalla, they thought... doesn't come from a store. Maybe Phalla, perhaps... means a little bit more!
    And what happened, then?
    Well, in Phalla they say - that the Priest's small hearts grew three sizes that day.
    And then - the true meaning of Phalla came through, and the Priests found the strength of *ten* Phallas, plus two!

They brought everything back, all the rules for the feast.
    And they, they themselves, the Priests - carved the roast beast.

Welcome, Phalla, bring your cheer.
    Cheer to all Phalla-ers far and near.
    Phalla Day is in our grasp, so long as we have hands to clasp.
    Phalla Day will always be just as long as we have we.
    Welcome, Phalla while we stand, heart to heart, and hand in hand.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    That...that doesn't explain Stever's law at all.

Once again I'm amazed by how crap I am at playing majority. I usually end up being on the verge of inactive and then whenever I try to get involved everyone thinks it's super suspicious. Can't believe we didn't manage to vote at least one minority out though. Crazy.

Also mafia busdrivers.

• Options
    But really flarne, your behavior after I died set off every mafia sense I had. Even though you apparently weren't :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That's my secret power. Mafia-posting in all situations.

• Options
    b6e9316275b520_full.jpg

I feel enlightened.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    That image is cut off. Sex makes babies do what?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Figgy wrote: »
    That image is cut off. Sex makes babies do what?

Figgy, I'm not sure you're prepared for the truth.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Excellent post-game chat is excellent.

Obi, why me? Why?

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    Well, that was easy.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    See, it's easy.

Taya is always evil.

ALWAYS.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    You're welcome!

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    VI that wins with vigs butr losses to the vote just seems off. Isnt it supposed to be that its harder to die to the vote if you want to?

Bedlam on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    If I had a VI role, my first objective would be to say on day 1 "Hey guys, I'm a VI so please vote me off. Thanks!"

Day 1 is not productive and people would probably go for that. Village because it's not one of them, Mafia because it's also not one of them.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Problem with that is the village has to always be trying to remove mafia and build vote records, no matter how bad the odds are. Just killing off the VI day 1, makes day 2 turn into day 1 essentially.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Flarne wrote: »
    That...that doesn't explain Stever's law at all.

It explains the origins in allegory form. ;-)
    (or not...)

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Assuran wrote: »

That wasn't my intent, really. Was meant to be more lighthearded good fun than an actual "law" like Stever's Law.

Barring network selected targets, I don't ever kill mafia and I often get quite a few village specials

Phyphor on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »

Obi, why me? Why?

I don't know. You seemed sketchy. But its pretty clear that my judgement this game couldn't have been more horrible.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Assuran wrote: »

Barring network selected targets, I don't ever kill mafia and I often get quite a few village specials

You should have played this game. That would have been a good thing.

ObiFett wrote: »
    Tayrun wrote: »

Obi, why me? Why?

I don't know. You seemed sketchy. But its pretty clear that my judgement this game couldn't have been more horrible.

Don't be too hard on yourself about it. You didn't exactly have much to go on, since our specials were dying every night. And rarely able to be of use.

Plus, even if they did, fucking mafia bus driver.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Well really it was a village bus driver. But obviously minority busdrivers are unbalanced. Swerving all over the place.

Flarne on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'll slow clap that one outa here for ya.

Village had a pretty good list of specials to work with though and using the busdriver on one of us early is difficult as you never know which villagers are going to get killed randomly.

I mean what you had seer, 2 vigs, guard, roleblock, mason pair + the extra vig from the SK. Pretty good for a mini

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    If I had a VI role, my first objective would be to say on day 1 "Hey guys, I'm a VI so please vote me off. Thanks!"

Day 1 is not productive and people would probably go for that. Village because it's not one of them, Mafia because it's also not one of them.
    I havent played too many Phallas with one in but I remember a mafia claimed to be a VI and everyone moved off her on the day she might have been voted out.

Generally I dont think the village proper would want to waste their time with something like that. Especially if they were down vigs.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Problem with that is the village has to always be trying to remove mafia and build vote records, no matter how bad the odds are. Just killing off the VI day 1, makes day 2 turn into day 1 essentially.

Mathematically this is actually better. The network would have more turns to establish by having a more robust pool of people from which to find either confirmed villagers for the network or mafia for the murderings. Mafia doesn't just want to kill any old villager, they want to kill SPECIALS, then Villagers. That or just reveal halfway through the day.

Then again, people have funny feelings about neutrals in general. In a faction game I revealed neutral, proved my role, and was subsequently killed after being 1 day away from victory. Go figure.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    SeGaTai wrote: »

Mathematically this is actually better. The network would have more turns to establish by having a more robust pool of people from which to find either confirmed villagers for the network or mafia for the murderings. Mafia doesn't just want to kill any old villager, they want to kill SPECIALS, then Villagers. That or just reveal halfway through the day.

Then again, people have funny feelings about neutrals in general. In a faction game I revealed neutral, proved my role, and was subsequently killed after being 1 day away from victory. Go figure.

I thought for sure this was going to happen to me in this game.

But instead, on Day 4 I felt pretty good that I might just be able to pull out a win for myself. The mafia and village were both pretty even numbers wise and really couldn't bother with me. Neither of them knew that I avoided the first kill each day, which meant that later I might just be able to surprise them if they planned on getting rid of me that way.

If only I hadn't been so horrible at figuring out who the minority were, I might have had a slim chance to win as the SK even though I was out in the open.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Really after day 2, a SKer win was much more likely than a majority one. But as a SK you don't want equal numbers, given that the village accuracy isn't usually so great, you want the mafia to be down a few people

steam_sig.png