As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DAOC] Endless Conquest is Live

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I was Merlin/Midgard, and we usually controlled everything. DF, all the relics, etc. We used to let Hib/Alb take relics from us, just so we had something to fight over.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • PryanPryan Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I miss my Skald & Hunter. My Skald is probably still waiting at a teleport pad waiting to raid some rvr keeps. And Jarlmar the Hunter is still waiting to pop out of stealth in DF to gank some Albs once they regain control.

Darkness Falls was so awesome, it's probably the thing I miss the most from DAoC. I do not miss grinding faction and then AoE grinding Red Caps for hours to get through those interminable half levels. But, at least it wasn't barrens chat.

I would do awful awful things to get faction controlled dungeons/planets/spacestations in SW:TOR.

Pryan on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well, ToR has Illum, which has some of the same ideas as the original RvR in DAoC, just on a much smaller scale. Lets not forgot, DF was not in at release. It was added quite a bit after release. In fact, I was level 50 on my Shadowblade long before DF was added.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    So you're telling that Illum will DEFINTELY become Darkness Falls and I can be nostalgic with a lightsaber rather than a spear & bow. If that's not what you are telling me, I'm going to pretend it is. I am married, so willfully misunderstanding people is kind of my life now. Dream the impossible dream...

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Pryan wrote:
    I am married, so willfully misunderstanding people is kind of my life now.

i should put this in my sig :P because i know what you mean.

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Pryan wrote:
    So you're telling that Illum will DEFINTELY become Darkness Falls and I can be nostalgic with a lightsaber rather than a spear & bow. If that's not what you are telling me, I'm going to pretend it is. I am married, so willfully misunderstanding people is kind of my life now. Dream the impossible dream...

Illum is a terrible joke of a pvp zone that wishes it was Tol Barad, and pales in comparison to even WAR's pvp lakes.

Our best hope for DAoC pvp is GW2 and their 3 way W v W v W zone.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited January 2012
    @Feldorn FSM bless you. Go nuts.

That makes me sad. Other than DAoC, which I played in and right after college, no MMO has really grabbed me except for Star Wars. But if Guild Wars 2 can offer a compelling RvR or Darkness Falls-like experience, then maybe I'll have to take a look.

Pryan on
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    daoc had great feel to it the work put into the feel of each of the 3 realms, its rvr is second to none in pvp and why noone else has done it is beyond me, but its leveling was far too time consuming and putting toa on top of that, and then adding new frontiers and siege rubbish were horrible moves!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just want to say I've actually been having a lot of fun on my resub. Not sure how long this'll last but definitely a distraction from WoW!

This games definitely makes a lot more sense to a veteran hardmode raider than it did to 16 year old me when it first came out. But 14 free days doesn't hurt!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah, high level RvR is basically an e-sport. This was nearly exactly a month ago, so yeah, epic clusterfucks are still a common occurance.

http://youtu.be/QM5dVXFPHnc

Lucky Cynic on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I like how that video has Bioware in the opening, like they are somehow responsible for the awesomeness of DAoC having now entirely eaten what was left of Mythic after WAR.

I hold high hopes that ArenaNet will be able to use WvWvW PvP to deliver that same community reinforced, meaningful and fun PvP feeling that still exists in DAoC. And with a better PvE system to boot.

488W936.png
  • ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    ...and not looking like something that was made 10 years ago. Oh wait!

• Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    I would love to play this again if there was a way to make the UI bearable. Everything is tiny and I couldn't find a way to make it scale with a higher resolution. I don't suppose anyone managed to fix that?

steam_sig.png
    Well, the original resolution was something stupid low like 800x600 so back in 2001, they made the UI for that size. There are mods you can install or you can set it to a slightly lower resolution.

Or be a boss like me and know how to navigate with keyboard shortcuts.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Here's a Screenshot of my character recently.

sshot001zx.jpg

oHw5R0V.jpg
    I never did like how they left the keeps fully lit no matter what type of day, but I guess they did that to keep everything from plunging into darkness.

One thing I'm still disappointed in is gear getting. Like I'm 30 and the only good gear I can get my hands on is the weapon + armor my trainer gives me. I can't sit down and invest 8 hours like I could a while back, so dungeons are out of the idea. I hate questing, especially DAoC's quests (don't even mention the fucking battleground quests they are so terrible and apparently this fucking vampyr has something out for me), so that's pretty much out too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    bowen do you have any access to the Auralite dungeons are anything ? It seemed like the last time I subbed those were the easest way to get gear and xps.
    Also they Auralite dungeons are usually short like 30 mins affairs if that.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Yeah I do, but god damnit doing those solo is terrible. The first one in Mithra was impossible I had to be on the platform to attack her and being a scout was problematic.

I haven't tried the auralite dungeons in the catacombs specifically yet.

Every battleground has quests that earn XP and Aurulite. There are merchants in the battlegrounds that trade aurulite to in order to get updated gear.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited March 2012
    I refuse to low level BGs as pretty much the feel to it is different now than it used to. Plus completely different than RvR at 50.

And no one really cares. Oh what's that, the scout 10 feet to my left is getting killed by that vampyr (who seems to have it out for me in every battleground)? Nope gonna keep killing this fucking water nymph.

bowen on
    The quests are pve quests.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    I understand that.

That doesn't mean PvP doesn't happen regardless. Which is my ire at low levels.

• MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Up until 35 all of the classic cities should have easy quests for fast xp and weapons/armor, and a merchant you can buy the previous cities gear from for cheap. On Hib side I still sometimes do Connla quests (~30-35) if Molvik is a clustermuck.

I would highly recommend doing hub quests pve or pvp, instead of doing auraulite dungeons. Or even task dungeons. I only do TD's when I want to level artifacts and they make me wish I still drank.

I dont know what its like on alb but for hib the bg's usually have groups running the xp quests over and over and going through bg's together. I send a region and lfg message as soon as I get in and usually have a group pretty quick.

Level progression nowadays seems to be best to do

1-10(starter zone, the low level bg's suck for xp, almost seems like a bug)
    11-45 (bg quests all the way or pve hubs till 35, then bgs/task dungeons/auraulite i guess)
    45-50 (ToA - Doing repeatable glass quests in green glades, or less popularly volcanus. This gives fast xp, glass to buy artifacts/ml's, and good cash. Groups are almost always running for this)

People sometimes stop to bg at 24,39,49.

I've leveled 2 50's and a bunch of 39's since coming back, its soo much easier nowadays.

If one of the realms is camping the portal keeps or greatly outnumbers the others I just hit the pve cities. PVP when you are trying to quest can be really frustrating. I know its a pvp game but there's a difference between group pvp and 3 sc/d assissting necros camping the rats in one of the early bg's. Or the ever popular skald/(any melee) duo.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Natas_XnoybisNatas_Xnoybis Registered User regular
    tried playing it awhile ago, has not aged well, the sluggish response of the UI, etc. That Said: Midgard Healers 4LIfe!!!!!

In its day it was one of the best.

I hate Computers
    GIS is evil
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    I still bitch about them nerfing left axe.....fuckers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bowen wrote: »
    I understand that.

That doesn't mean PvP doesn't happen regardless. Which is my ire at low levels.

You can often find groups in the battlegrounds that are mostly interested in hammering those quests out. Besides, they offer excellent XP as well as BP (Bounty Points) for exchanging at the battleground merchants for very, very, very good armor at those respective levels. Pretty much- if you want better armor at those levels, you will have to craft it which will cost several plat. On the 14-day trial I took with a friend on a newbie account I made, I got to level 26 with him just doing those quests on and off.

• FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    I still bitch about them nerfing left axe.....fuckers

fuckin-a right bro!

*broAXE

Was running a ~10 man in lab last night, we got yelled at by one guy for breaking up duels over and over. I remember that in vanilla also. Dueling is seriously honorable business guys.

camo_sig2.png
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Did they ever do character wipes? My account hasn't been active since '05, wonder if my toons are still around.

Madpanda wrote: »
    Was running a ~10 man in lab last night, we got yelled at by one guy for breaking up duels over and over. I remember that in vanilla also. Dueling is seriously honorable business guys.

Yeah never, ever, ever break up duels. I've been in a few duels while in a group and they would just circle around waiting for the fight to be over, even if I died, it still is a classy thing to do to let cards land where they may.

Then after the duel is over and a /bow, the winner is usually courteously sent back to the dungeon's entrance by the enemy.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I dont think so aryn, but then again i haven't resubbed in about 3 years. Last time i did, my chrs were still there from release.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Arryn wrote: »
    Did they ever do character wipes? My account hasn't been active since '05, wonder if my toons are still around.

They never erase characters. They are just on old server clusters waiting to be transferred to one of the Ywain servers.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Is there a link on how to do transfers for "legacy" characters?

I have a really old (pre-release) account that is still active. Even though I haven't played in about five years, it might be a fun little time waster. If nothing else it will be fun to revisit my old stomping grounds.

26904.png
    /freexfer (ywain##)

Assuming you don't have a house or a guild or anything.

Also, apparently each "area" has a quartermaster that sells level appropriate gear. May not be the best but it's way better than the gray/green shit I was using.

edited April 2012
    In pve towns the quartermaster will sell the previous hub cities gear. You can get slightly better stuff by doing the quests at the current hub city. Most quests reward either an armor piece or a choice of expensive dyes.

I know you are against low level bg's bowen but they have quartermasters there also which do the same thing. Between free gear everywhere and the realm buffs it really takes the sting out of leveling.

The pve hubs stop at ~35
    The bg quests/quartermasters go up to 49 and cover a range of 5 levels. I would strongly recommend spending some time in the 39 bg (molvik) and/or the 49 bg (Cathal valley) to get some pvp experience/realm ranks before jumping right into 50 rvr.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    There are people who leave their character locked at level 49 for Cathal Valley. At 50, DAoC can be a bit of an eSport since you are going up against people who've been playing this for years. That being said, if the numbers are brains are on your side, any challenging situation can be dealt with swiftly.

I might do 39/49 pvp but until then probably not, but it was interesting to find that quest hub vendor dude. Definitely takes the sting out of leveling because fucccckkk that.

edited April 2012
    There are people who leave their character locked at level 49 for Cathal Valley. At 50, DAoC can be a bit of an eSport since you are going up against people who've been playing this for years. That being said, if the numbers are brains are on your side, any challenging situation can be dealt with swiftly.

I've got a few 39 and 49 toons for when 50 rvr gets zergy or boring.

I jumped into 50 rvr with my champ at rr2 and just hit rr4 recently. I dont rvr with him much more than a few hours per week, usually only when a guild group is running.

Open field new frontiers or labby is more of a numbers/skill than rr/template thing. In an even fight yea the higher rr's will probably win, but fights are rarely even. I guess agramaon is the place people go for 8v8 fights but I haven't really gone there in a group.

It's very doable to jump in to 50 rvr, but getting some rr's first or just locking in the lower bg's can be fun as well. Rolling a group that has been terrorizing your sides xp spot in thidraki (20-24 bg) is pretty damn fun.

Running in mostly guild/alliance groups helps. Pugs as with any mmo's can be a crapshoot. My favorite was the guy who kicked me out because I was on my champ (hybrid melee class) and he only takes charge tanks in labyrinth. My pug group racked up a bunch of kils while he sat in the safe zone spamming to make a "perfect" group.

You are getting the realm buffs also right bowen? those help in leveling well, and once you do get into pvp, assume everyone has at least those, or a buffbot.

The bg vendors also have mythrians which I dont think the pve towns give unless you do those epic encounter group things. These are an item slot/class added in one of the last expansions. At lower levels they are important because certain ones will provide end or pow or hp regen, which will also speed up leveling. They are by far the most expensive item on the vendors but they provide a big boon. If you haven't been building up bounty points from earlier bg's it might take you a few more quest turnins to get one but its really not that bad.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png