As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX 2012 Apps Thread *Official App is GUIDEBOOK & Devs read the thread!*

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Just downloaded it. Extremely helpful with the panel reminders

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @proxima I think adding the twitter feeds for @official_pax and @pax_lines could be helpful... if they're there, I didn't see them at first glance. When I clicked the twitter button it just brought up the #pax hashtag search.

• ProximaProxima Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    @proxima I think adding the twitter feeds for @official_pax and @pax_lines could be helpful... if they're there, I didn't see them at first glance. When I clicked the twitter button it just brought up the #pax hashtag search.

Good idea. Will do - thanks

I'm a BlackBerry user and would like a cross-platform HTML5/JS/CSS app. In the meantime I will be grateful and use the mobile site, which renders well. Since it looks like there are more features in the iOS and Android apps, I can't really speak to what kind of features I would like.

We are working on a fully featured html5 app. It will take time, though - we are a small outfit and want to make sure we get it right, while also building solutions for ipad/tablets and keeping the existing apps updated :)

@proxima also, any chance of getting a native iPad version before east? Someone told me the iOS app wasn't working on their new iPad. I can see guidebook being a really amazing tool on a tablet in offline mode.

Not before East, but it is something we're actively working on - believe me we want is as much as you guys... It should work on iPads though, just not as a native ipad app.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Proxima wrote: »
    Not before East, but it is something we're actively working on - believe me we want is as much as you guys... It should work on iPads though, just not as a native ipad app.

I have the new iPad and I tried loading it onto there and it doesnt let me download anything...
    It opens just fine but when I try to download a guide nothing shows up. Tried this on my work wifi and the verizon 4g. It works fine on my iphone over both connections which is weird...

Any ideas?
    Is there any logs or anything that I can possibly pull to send you guys to try and help?

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Would it be possible to add more options to the reminder times? I feel like 1 hour being the shortest is a bit much. A 10 or 15 minute would be perfect for me.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Would it be possible to add more options to the reminder times? I feel like 1 hour being the shortest is a bit much. A 10 or 15 minute would be perfect for me.

If you leave for a panel or event 15 minutes before it starts, you're probably not getting in...

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »

If you leave for a panel or event 15 minutes before it starts, you're probably not getting in...

I had plenty of panels last year I was able to that with. It's more for the smaller panels that I'll be going to.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Yeah... the hour works for PAX since thats about when you have to show up to get far enough ahead in line for the panel.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right

yeah something between an hour and a day seems like a good idea though...

We havent gotten our ipad 3 dev units yet so if its an issue with the new hardware we haven't been able to debug yet... I will keep you guys updated.

As for the reminder times, they shorten as the event nears. If you set reminder times a day or two before the event, for instance, you will be able to use smaller increments (10,15,30 mins).

We havent gotten our ipad 3 dev units yet so if its an issue with the new hardware we haven't been able to debug yet... I will keep you guys updated.

As for the reminder times, they shorten as the event nears. If you set reminder times a day or two before the event, for instance, you will be able to use smaller increments (10,15,30 mins).

good to know... that's an interesting feature... not sure how helpful it is though if someone wants to set their schedule once in advance and be done with it. But good information.

• wildbohrwildbohr Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    GREAT NEWS! Pocket PAX (a Windows Phone app) has been approved in the Windows Phone Marketplace! The app is not live yet but it should be available within the next 24 hours at the following link (windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/8fb1d9dd-4eb7-4e17-8fc8-2fb48f42d83c). I'll be finishing up v1.1 tonight, there is only 3 hours of work left, and submitting it. Below is the app description for Pocket PAX:
    Are you attending a Penny Arcade Expo (PAX)? Then Pocket PAX is the app for you! Pocket PAX contains what you need to make your experience even better! In it you will find a copy of the Official Schedule provided on the paxsite.com website, but with the bonus of it being stored locally. Previous PAX attendees can attest that when you get that many gamers in one spot data connections can be slightly less reliable. Pocket PAX also allows you to favorite any panels in the schedule that you are interested in. Favoriting a panel will give you two perks, firstly you will be able to see it in the custom Favorite only view of Pocket PAX and secondly Pocket PAX will create a notification for you that will alert you 1 hour before the panel is about to being and if you tap the notification when it fires Pocket PAX will launch and show you the details regarding the panel.

Also from within Pocket PAX you can view two very important twitter streams, @pax_lines (keeps you up to date on line statuses for the various panels) and @official_pax (which provides various information about the Expo).

Want more? How about all this functionality is pinable to your Windows Phone start screen for easy access. Also if you choose to enable Pocket PAX’s dynamic live tiles your pinned start screen icons will come alive with extra information relevant to the icon.

the reminder times feature is not set in stone right now. we needed a solution which works for both long-term venues and short events (long term venues want longer notification times), so this was a middle ground solution. its something we'll address soon.

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Hey! Really love the guidebook guide. It's super slick. I love the to-do list!

I was wondering, would it be possible to be able to add personal events to the "My Schedule"? A lot of community run events/tournaments (like the PAX Pokemon League!) have meetup times and such that aren't going to appear on the official PAX Schedule, but it'd be nice to be able to add them to my own schedule, so I can see them side by side with the panels I want to go to.

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    Propriety wrote: »
    Hey! Really love the guidebook guide. It's super slick. I love the to-do list!

I was wondering, would it be possible to be able to add personal events to the "My Schedule"? A lot of community run events/tournaments (like the PAX Pokemon League!) have meetup times and such that aren't going to appear on the official PAX Schedule, but it'd be nice to be able to add them to my own schedule, so I can see them side by side with the panels I want to go to.

Thanks! That is a question we get a lot and the answer is yes, we are working on that feature which will roll out alongside accounts within the next 6 months (not before east, unfortunately)

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    wildbohr wrote: »
    GREAT NEWS! Pocket PAX (a Windows Phone app) has been approved in the Windows Phone Marketplace! The app is not live yet but it should be available within the next 24 hours at the following link (windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/8fb1d9dd-4eb7-4e17-8fc8-2fb48f42d83c). I'll be finishing up v1.1 tonight, there is only 3 hours of work left, and submitting it. Below is the app description for Pocket PAX:
    Are you attending a Penny Arcade Expo (PAX)? Then Pocket PAX is the app for you! Pocket PAX contains what you need to make your experience even better! In it you will find a copy of the Official Schedule provided on the paxsite.com website, but with the bonus of it being stored locally. Previous PAX attendees can attest that when you get that many gamers in one spot data connections can be slightly less reliable. Pocket PAX also allows you to favorite any panels in the schedule that you are interested in. Favoriting a panel will give you two perks, firstly you will be able to see it in the custom Favorite only view of Pocket PAX and secondly Pocket PAX will create a notification for you that will alert you 1 hour before the panel is about to being and if you tap the notification when it fires Pocket PAX will launch and show you the details regarding the panel.

Also from within Pocket PAX you can view two very important twitter streams, @pax_lines (keeps you up to date on line statuses for the various panels) and @official_pax (which provides various information about the Expo).

Want more? How about all this functionality is pinable to your Windows Phone start screen for easy access. Also if you choose to enable Pocket PAX’s dynamic live tiles your pinned start screen icons will come alive with extra information relevant to the icon.
    Awesome! Can't wait to try it out this weekend.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Someone posted a badge picture on the Guidebook app.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wishing Guidebook could be moved to SD card. Having a fairly cheap smartphone, my storage on it is very limited, though I have 16 GB available on my SD card.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited March 2012

if that's not allowed, flag the photo; if 3 people flag it the photo will be hidden

Proxima on
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo This Space Intentionally Left Blank Youngstown, OHRegistered User regular

if that's not allowed, flag the photo; if 3 people flag it the photo will be hidden

I can not access the flag option on my Android 4.0.3 tablet (Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime) although it is accessible on my Android 2.3.3 smartphone (Motorola Droid2) using the menu button. You may need to shift the function to in-app buttons (or include whatever call is needed for the software-based button in ICS).

Additionally the orientation is forced to portrait on the "My Guides" screen (is fine once in to the PAX East 2012 guide) on both tablet and smartphone. Other screens seem fine in landscape.

Andy "Zap-Robo" Barber
    Editor in Chief @ www.mmo-central.com

It's not an /official/ thing, but it was asked that we don't do pictures of the badges on the forums this year, so I think folks are extending that to other mediums (which obviously can't be controlled by moderation like the forums).

• SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm a BlackBerry user and would like a cross-platform HTML5/JS/CSS app. In the meantime I will be grateful and use the mobile site, which renders well. Since it looks like there are more features in the iOS and Android apps, I can't really speak to what kind of features I would like.

We are working on a fully featured html5 app. It will take time, though - we are a small outfit and want to make sure we get it right, while also building solutions for ipad/tablets and keeping the existing apps updated :)

Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to the HTML5 app and definitely understand priorities and constraints.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Yeah, it was unofficially requested to not post pictures in order to combat forgeries. The badges do have new, fancy bits that are harder to recreate, but the less photos out there the better.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Good idea. Will do - thanks

would it also be possible to add/remove custom hashtag searches? if i could add stuff like #ttlfg that would be useful, but also i'd like to remove the #pax, or have it removed/replaced with #paxeast across the board. the term "pax" actually has catholic significance and i'm already seeing non-paxeast tweets in the feed. with pax being on easter weekend, this is apt to get worse and clutter the feed with irrelevant stuff.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular

Any chance this will be done by PAXEast? There are so few useful apps out there for BlackBerry users, sadly.

The current page is nice though, I'll definitely have it bookmarked for PAX! Thanks!

Pocket PAX is now live on the windows phone marketplace: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/8fb1d9dd-4eb7-4e17-8fc8-2fb48f42d83c

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Sweet, don't have to download a new app. Always enjoyed Guidebook. Got my schedule all done already for the most part.

• StrangeStaticStrangeStatic Mass.Registered User regular
    wildbohr wrote: »
    Pocket PAX is now live on the windows phone marketplace: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/8fb1d9dd-4eb7-4e17-8fc8-2fb48f42d83c

I downloaded it. Great app! Simple to use, better than having to connect to the internet and use guidebook. Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/strangestatic
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Wishing Guidebook could be moved to SD card. Having a fairly cheap smartphone, my storage on it is very limited, though I have 16 GB available on my SD card.

I was just thinking this myself.

I downloaded it. Great app! Simple to use, better than having to connect to the internet and use guidebook. Thanks!

Thanks! Came across a bug with the new Schedule Update code last night, hope to have it sorted out today and submitted. I really wanted search and update functionality in v1.0 but had to draw a line in the sand somewhere. While testing I've also found other bugs that are in v1.0 that I am really disappointed I missed but I have cleaned up in the update.

• InnocentBystanderInnocentBystander Registered User new member
    Holy Cow I love this app!! Thank you to whoever created/updated it for PaxEast. It's my first PAX and my first convention :)

See everyone there!!

www.mindofthegeek.com
  • bushisprezbushisprez Registered User regular
    Great app guidebook it runs on my older gen ipod just like conventionist. Looks like google maps runs offline too.

[x] Hotel booked
    [x] Ride Booked
    [x] 3-day Pass
    Will be more prepared than ever for the show than the previous year. XP!!!!!
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    just downloaded this for my andriod... I love this app!!! thanks so much guidbook! will def come in handy 4-6 trhough 4-8! the only thing I would like to request is the ability to schedule in some free play/acam arcade and other like events to "my schedule" just so I can have a reminder not to forget to do those things kind of like the booths...

Korvas on
    Korvas wrote: »
    just downloaded this for my andriod... I love this app!!! thanks so much guidbook! will def come in handy 4-6 trhough 4-8! the only thing I would like to request is the ability to schedule in some free play/acam arcade and other like events to "my schedule" just so I can have a reminder not to forget to do those things kind of like the booths...

Thanks! One thing you can do, since you can't currently add custom sessions, is to add things you want to do to your to-do list (you can manually add items by clicking the plus sign), and then check them off when you get them done. Not quite as useful as adding custom schedule items, we know, but maybe a temp solution

Pocket PAX v1.1 has arrived in the Windows Phone Marketplace. However some users may experience an issue after updating. More information regarding the issue can be found here ironicname.ca/2012/03/pocket-pax-v11-is-now-appearing-in.html.

What's new in v1.1?
    * NEW Search with Location Filtering
    * NEW In App Downloading of Schedule Updates
    * NEW Official PAX RSS News Feed
    * Various minor improvements

Thanks guys for an AMAZING PAX! We had our highest usage ever (and were #5 in business apps on the iphone, to put it in perspective - you guys rock).

Let us know what you thought! We have a ton of cool stuff in the works for Prime, but we really value your feedback. Either leave it here or shoot us an email if its long: feedback@guidebook.com (or tweet at us @guidebook)

Thanks guys <3

• LuptoniumLuptonium Registered User regular
    Was great for scheduling but horrible for mapping.