As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fibonacci doodle [chat]

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Good grief that image is huge.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    i've seen bigger

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    i've seen bigger

That's what she said.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    vanguard are you 12

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

There has always been a simmering reaction amongst progressives who realized that movements toward political centralization were incapacitating not only their hated local-level enemies but occasionally their own favored causes as well. The instinct to side with the little guy using the strength of the even bigger guy conflicts with the instinct to side with the little guy, and egalitarianism at a national level often entails ugly fights at the local level. Nothing new.

You might notice that Gerken has basically no explanation for how she intends to have national-minority, local-majority regional government without descending into interest group NIMBYism of the local power of the day (which, inevitably, is never constant) - these are, after all, more or less the same thing described in different lights.

A worse problem is that the United States does not see "federalism" in terms of, say, British devolution, where Parliament is still utterly sovereign and can take back all those powers at a moment's notice, thank you very much. No, American federalism is still, even today, nominally built on the states grudgingly granting the federal government limited authority. This leaves any would-be decentralizer the tricky problem that the federal government still has no authority to, say, redraw state lines to reflect its own judgment of the geographical distribution of minority groups. It has never had that authority, aside from some tangling with Native American nations. Federalism in the US context therefore necessarily entails empowering those existing institutions, not some hypothetically more empowering ethnic canton, and I dare you to claim that these institutions have an admirable record at empowering national minorities compared to the federal government. We are back at "state's rights" and there is a good reason why this always happens.

aRkpc.gif
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    5438 × 2956 and the name is in Japanese characters.

Damn it, since when did we start treating languages that are not english as first class citizens on the internet? This is unacceptable. KEEP HTTP AMERICAN

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    i've seen bigger

That's what she said.

No I did not!

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Pony wrote: »
    vanguard are you 12

Close. 24.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    vanguard are you 12

Close. 24.

hrm

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    <3 ronya

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Hey is my sig showing an error picture to you guys? It is for me, but someone else is telling me it looks the same.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    [img][/img]'

thats what i had for lunch

ate it in washington square park
    5 bux

That looks awesome. Where from?

the new go go curry location they opened on thompson st. there's one on 38th and 9th too (or around there)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tonight I am making food...

Some salmon with japanese rice... that's all i know how to cook. :-|

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I do wonder whether Gerken is looking at the elaborately bargained compromises of, say, Belgium or Spain regarding their ethnic enclaves, compares it to the United States riding roughshod over attempts at local ethnic identity using a combination of ugly racism, alienating economic forces, and cultural obliteration and thinks therefore that the former might be a very empowering thing indeed. I do not think this passes a comparative laugh test when contemplating more than the very short term.

aRkpc.gif
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Hey is my sig showing an error picture to you guys? It is for me, but someone else is telling me it looks the same.

looks fine to me

poo
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    guys i went to a game workshop store today. it was while i was waiting for the bus to show up. there was no one in there except the employee. i told him i was just looking around. he wanted to give me a warhammer crash course.

i ended up leaving almost immediately because it was weird.

Yeah, GW stores are awful if you want toy soldiers.

vanguard are you 12

Close. 24.

hrm

Sometimes I wonder what's it's like to be an adult.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    guys i went to a game workshop store today. it was while i was waiting for the bus to show up. there was no one in there except the employee. i told him i was just looking around. he wanted to give me a warhammer crash course.

Did he make raygun noises with his mouth?

They're told to do that during training, IIRC. Makes the game sound more lively.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I'm my family's encyclopedia while they're at a pub quiz.

Also, Chrome thinks it's encyclopaedia.

The bagel place gave me lox spread instead of the fillet

It was basically like that dry cleaner scene in american psycho

if you play warhammer you should be put to death no offense bro

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Chu is scared of nerds

You heard it here first

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Just got back from the doctor. Looks like I did indeed give myself a concussion on Tuesday.

The pain should go away in a couple more days. Might be a couple weeks for the forgetfulness (I've noticed that I have been mispelling words a lot the last couple days), difficulty concentrating, irritability and fatigue.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

Is that not Sisters of Battle?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The Florida Family Association press release referenced in today's PA strip is just...

...there are no words.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »

There has always been a simmering reaction amongst progressives who realized that movements toward political centralization were incapacitating not only their hated local-level enemies but occasionally their own favored causes as well. The instinct to side with the little guy using the strength of the even bigger guy conflicts with the instinct to side with the little guy, and egalitarianism at a national level often entails ugly fights at the local level. Nothing new.

You might notice that Gerken has basically no explanation for how she intends to have national-minority, local-majority regional government without descending into interest group NIMBYism of the local power of the day (which, inevitably, is never constant) - these are, after all, more or less the same thing described in different lights.

A worse problem is that the United States does not see "federalism" in terms of, say, British devolution, where Parliament is still utterly sovereign and can take back all those powers at a moment's notice, thank you very much. No, American federalism is still, even today, nominally built on the states grudgingly granting the federal government limited authority. This leaves any would-be decentralizer the tricky problem that the federal government still has no authority to, say, redraw state lines to reflect its own judgment of the geographical distribution of minority groups. It has never had that authority, aside from some tangling with Native American nations. Federalism in the US context therefore necessarily entails empowering those existing institutions, not some hypothetically more empowering ethnic canton, and I dare you to claim that these institutions have an admirable record at empowering national minorities compared to the federal government. We are back at "state's rights" and there is a good reason why this always happens.

Hah, I'm not done reading the whole thing myself! I can't really respond intelligently to you yet.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

I'm afraid to go into my local Game Workshop store alone.

Those they cannot convert they destroy.

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

shut up nerd

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

shut up nerd

Cass left herself logged in and this is pony sitting on the account isnt it?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

shut up nerd

Looks like we got ourselves one o' them self-hatin' nerds

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Just got back from the doctor. Looks like I did indeed give myself a concussion on Tuesday.

The pain should go away in a couple more days. Might be a couple weeks for the forgetfulness (I've noticed that I have been mispelling words a lot the last couple days), difficulty concentrating, irritability and fatigue.

!

Concussions are no joke; keep an eye on any symptoms and feel better!

edited March 2012

have you ever worked retail?

on a slow day working a store (or area of a larger store) alone it's a huge relief just to have another human to talk to.

I remember being thrilled at being able to give a passerby a crash course in the new post 9/11 regulations about the size of carry on luggage (as I was working the luggage section of the Bon that day).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    desc wrote: »

!

Concussions are no joke; keep an eye on any symptoms and feel better!

I just wish my brains would stop aspolding every time the bus hits a pothole on the way to or from work.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

shut up nerd

yeah about that all of the Toronto forumers are my alts

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

shut up nerd

So all those secrets I shared with Wash...

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Don't

Isn't

Your Avatar

shut up nerd

my god

nomadiccircle was secretly a trouble woman

For the rare person who loves both Arrested Development and the NBA (demographic population: me)

http://bloguin.com/crossoverchronicles/2011-articles/july/casting-the-new-qarrested-developmentq-movie-nba-style.html

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i wasn't even in there to laugh at nerds! i honestly was just like, 'i'm gonna look around. some of my friends like this stuff so i'm gonna see if any of it looks interesting'

and he's trying to sell me starter kits and i am like dude i am not interested but thank you, i am just poking around, i don't want to waste your time

finally he's like LEMME SHOW YOU THE BASICS and i'm like ttyl bro

This discussion has been closed.