As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wonder if [chat] remembers me

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    ME1 is better plotted than ME2. There is a central mystery that is gradually revealed through a series of interlocking steps, builds to a shocking reveal, then speeds to an exciting climax. ME2, by contrast, has a simple main plot that exists largely as an excuse to provide a tour of the galaxy and a showcase of the characters you meet along the way.

Plotting is great. Plotting is a nice thing to be able to do. But too many people on the internet think it's all writing is, because plotting is an essentially mechanical action and is thus easily grasped by essentially mechanical people. There's also characterization, theme, and tone, and in all of those ME2 is at least as good as the first one and often better.

One part that's always stuck out to me regarding ME1 involved a side quest - I don't remember which one - where the renegade option was to execute a scientist because she was involved in some horrible experiments on human.

When you choose the Renegade option, Shepard says something like, "Blood for blood. You must die." It was a really atrociously, embarrassingly written line, that is out of character for Shepard. Even a hard renegade Shepard is a bit more clever than that.

I think my brain just smooths over some of those wrinkles either because it's a video game (hence I have lower standards) or because the first installment of a series always has weak parts (hence I have lower standards).

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Damn it I shouldn't let a game get in my head and fuck with me so much

I haven't let fiction affect me this much since piggy got a rock dropped on his face

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ME1 is better plotted than ME2. There is a central mystery that is gradually revealed through a series of interlocking steps, builds to a shocking reveal, then speeds to an exciting climax. ME2, by contrast, has a simple main plot that exists largely as an excuse to provide a tour of the galaxy and a showcase of the characters you meet along the way.

Plotting is great. Plotting is a nice thing to be able to do. But too many people on the internet think it's all writing is, because plotting is an essentially mechanical action and is thus easily grasped by essentially mechanical people. There's also characterization, theme, and tone, and in all of those ME2 is at least as good as the first one and often better.

One part that's always stuck out to me regarding ME1 involved a side quest - I don't remember which one - where the renegade option was to execute a scientist because she was involved in some horrible experiments on human.

When you choose the Renegade option, Shepard says something like, "Blood for blood. You must die." It was a really atrociously, embarrassingly written line, that is out of character for Shepard. Even a hard renegade Shepard is a bit more clever than that.

I think my brain just smooths over some of those wrinkles either because it's a video game (hence I have lower standards) or because the first installment of a series always has weak parts (hence I have lower standards).

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    miranda is just rude in general

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    fuck everything about Lord of the Flies btw

Elendil wrote: »
    miranda is just rude in general

her forehead is 3 stories tall

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ludious wrote: »

What's wrong with Lord of the Flies?

I haven't read it since middle school, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up on a re-reading.

Robos A Go Go on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I just had a great night. I went to what could be London's best American BBQ joint (Americans, don't laugh) and then Greg Proops did an hour of amazing standup. That guy just rolls with mad fast paced humour. Within 10 minutes of start my jaw hurt with laughter, which he kept up the whole way through

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    ME2 actually manages to make you care about any of the characters also.

In ME1 the only characters I had any affinity for were Wrex and Tali, and to be honest at that point it was almost entirely because their races were cool. During ME1 I barely even thought of Garrus as all that cool.

In ME2 I was totally in love with everyone.

Kalkino wrote: »
    I just had a great night. I went to what could be London's best American BBQ joint (Americans, don't laugh) and then Greg Proops did an hour of amazing standup. That guy just rolls with mad fast paced humour. Within 10 minutes of start my jaw hurt with laughter, which he kept up the whole way through

he's hilarious but he seems to be chronically afraid of anything over 60 minutes of comedy. It's odd that a veteran comedian can't roll with a 90+ minute set

but maybe he knows his strengths and weaknesses

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular

I haven't read it since middle school, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up on a re-reading.

oh I don't know, maybe that it's about a bunch of kids who end up savagely murdering other children and one of them follows a rotting, talking pig's head on a stick

JKKaAGp.png
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    you may notice that my swagger has a new swagger

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1

I guess you weren't a fat kid huh

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    it appears your shoe has a penis

Don't all shoes?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Podly wrote: »
    you may notice that my swagger has a new swagger

swagception

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    It's funny how
    I just had a great night. I went to what could be London's best American BBQ joint (Americans, don't laugh) and then Greg Proops did an hour of amazing standup. That guy just rolls with mad fast paced humour. Within 10 minutes of start my jaw hurt from deep throating, which he kept up the whole way through

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    It's funny how
    I just had a great night. I went to what could be London's best American BBQ joint (Americans, don't laugh) and then Greg Proops did an hour of amazing standup. That guy just rolls with mad fast paced humour. Within 10 minutes of start my jaw hurt from deep throating, which he kept up the whole way through

???

aRkpc.gif
    Lord of the Flies is on my "least favorite books" list. It's more or less right above A Separate Peace, which is the worst shit my eyes have ever scanned.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    It's funny how

???

I was going to type something else but didn't then made a joke edit of Kalk's post but the draft feature had already saved what I typed before.

GAAAAYYYY

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

I was. And I always sorta figured that's how that shit would go down.

Except when it was them versus me, I'd be murdering them, and not the other way around.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Do you hate it because Piggy suffers and dies a horrible death or because reading it in class led to other kids treating you like Piggy or what?

Robos A Go Go on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I think that scenario would play out more like how the Simpsons episode unfolded

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Drez wrote: »
    Lord of the Flies is on my "least favorite books" list. It's more or less right above A Separate Peace, which is the worst shit my eyes have ever scanned.

ilu

I hated both those books.
    Winky wrote: »

In ME1 the only characters I had any affinity for were Wrex and Tali, and to be honest at that point it was almost entirely because their races were cool. During ME1 I barely even thought of Garrus as all that cool.

Well, at the beginning of Star Trek, Spock is just a Vulcan. At the beginning of Firefly, Inara is just a companion. That's kind of the cross that space operas bear - they're not just introducing people, they're introducing entire fabricated cultures, so the representatives of those cultures don't get to show their individuality until they've had adequate opportunity to first teach you about their cultural backdrop.

Winky wrote: »

Garrus, in ME1, basically fulfills the Discs of Zerthimon/Dak'kon role.

The point of this role is to show that the main character has more wisdom than another character who one might otherwise consider wise.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »

Exactly, yeah. And I tend to do that too - cut the first installment of something some slack - especially if it's trying something new. It's why I have genial feelings toward the first AssCreed even though the sequel is basically objectively better in almost every way

rRwz9.gif
    It's funny how

You you!!

One day I'm coming to your house and once there I'll scribble a nasty note for your door.

Anyway, no, there would have been no time for that

@Ludious - yes, it did stop about that point, but 15 quid for an hour of his level was good value so far as I'm concerned

This is the restaurant I went to beforehand

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/12/jay-rayner-restaurant-pitt-cue

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    It's funny how

???

I was going to type something else but didn't then made a joke edit of Kalk's post but the draft feature had already saved what I typed before.

GAAAAYYYY

I'm pretty sure vanilla wouldn't even pass the Turing test, let alone have a sexual orientation...

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton

Do you hate it because Piggy suffers and dies a horrible death or because reading it in class led to other kids treating you like Piggy or what?

We didn't read it in class so the former.

But I was treated terribly by my peers and picked on and had zero self esteem and that whole thing just fucked me up bad because I was like oh fuck that's me

Vanilla wouldn't pass the Turing test for Southern A.I.'s.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Yeah ME1 was pretty bad at having dialog options map to what you actually thought they'd do. Renegade oscillated around wildly.

ME1:
    They also missed some really obvious opportunities Shepard wise: like, him being fully convinced of an imminent threat should've been played up more as a side-effect of how he got the knowledge. On the Citadel you should've been able to tell him off for bringing the "vision" up in the Council session etc.

The "clarity" of the vision also seems like a missed meta-narrative aspect: they should've let the dialog options about it reflect what the player saw - because I sure had no clue what I was looking at the first time and was surprised when Shepard said he saw synthetics killing organics. I saw fucked up cybernetics experiments.

holy shit I just realized my trauma with lord of the flies lines up with when I stopped wearing my glasses.

I've needed glasses my entire life. I didn't start wearing them again until 24 or so.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    show us where the book touched you

aRkpc.gif
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

But I was treated terribly by my peers and picked on and had zero self esteem and that whole thing just fucked me up bad because I was like oh fuck that's me

LOL cause southerners are so stupid just like homos are so disgusting and bad! Nice!

edit: alrightk so I'm not clever today, sue me.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
    Hahahahahaha.

I googled, verbatim: "a separate peace is the worst book ever written" and there is a Facebook group called "a separate peace is the worst book ever written."

http://www.facebook.com/groups/2218227814/

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Man, I love Learned Hand so much. Whenever I read his Spirit of Liberty speech I get all misty-eyed and remember why I hold my political beliefs.
    We have gathered here to affirm a faith, a faith in a common purpose, a common conviction, a common devotion.
    Some of us have chosen America as the land of our adoption; the rest have come from those who did the same. For this reason we have some right to consider ourselves a picked group, a group of those who had the courage to break from the past and brave the dangers and the loneliness of a strange land. What was the object that nerved us, or those who went before us, to this choice? We sought liberty - freedom from oppression, freedom from want, freedom to be ourselves. This then we sought; this we now believe that we are by way of winning. What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws, and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it. And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow. A society in which men recognize no check upon their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few - as we have learned to our sorrow.

What then is the spirit of liberty?
    I cannot define it; I can only tell you my own faith. The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of those men and women; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which weighs their interest alongside its own without bias; the spirit of liberty remembers that not even a sparrow falls to earth unheeded; the spirit of liberty is the spirit of him who, near two thousand years ago, taught mankind that lesson it has never learned, but has never quite forgotten - that there may be a kingdom where the least shall be heard and considered side-by-side with the greatest. And now in that spirit, that spirit of an American which has never been, and which may never be - nay, which never will be except as the conscience and courage of Americans create it - yet in the spirit of America which lies hidden in some form in the aspirations of us all; in the spirit of that America for which our young men are at this moment fighting and dying; in that spirit of liberty and of America so prosperous, and safe, and contented, we shall have failed to grasp its meaning, and shall have been truant to its promise, except as we strive to make it a signal, a beacon, a standard to which the best hopes of mankind will ever turn; In confidence that you share that belief, I now ask you to raise you hand and repeat with me this pledge:
    I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands--One nation, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    My wife had me set the dvr to record My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding tonight because we are going to Hunger Games.

I think less of her now.

Gypsies are the only people it's OK to dislike.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Never read Lord of the Flies. Sounded like a total downer.

edited March 2012

Exactly, yeah. And I tend to do that too - cut the first installment of something some slack - especially if it's trying something new. It's why I have genial feelings toward the first AssCreed even though the sequel is basically objectively better in almost every way

AC1 was a great game that I can basically never play again.

I think Brotherhood was the best in the series. Revelations was okay, but kind of meh-ish and the story basically didn't progress the overall story in any meaningful way for me.

Drez on

LOL cause southerners are so stupid just like homos are so disgusting and bad! Nice!

edit: alrightk so I'm not clever today, sue me.

what are you trying to do here

I am from MISSISSIPPI. I can talk all the shit I want about southerners being retarded. I have the blood right to do so. I have paid my dues. Also, I would never say anything about homosexuals like that.

Sarksus wrote: »
    Never read Lord of the Flies. Sounded like a total downer.

Not if you like BBQ pork or nice times on an island.

Choose life Sarkus and remember to be Human is to suffer*

*imagine a kitten boxing a puppy

This discussion has been closed.