As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I wonder if [chat] remembers me

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I'm kind of amazed at how many assassins creed games there are.

I feel like I played the first one like... last year.

Psn:wazukki
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I actually gave Lord of the Flies credit for truthfully depicting bullying rather than going into that bullshit about how nerds just need to stand up for themselves/bullies are all paper tigers.

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    My wife had me set the dvr to record My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding tonight because we are going to Hunger Games.

I think less of her now.

Gypsies are the only people it's OK to dislike.

Isn't My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding basically a show dedicated to laughing at how terrible they are, and patronizing them?

Or am I thinking of a different gypsy related show.

• MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    fuck everything about Lord of the Flies btw

What's wrong with Lord of the Flies?

I haven't read it since middle school, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up on a re-reading.

I guess you weren't a fat kid huh

Do you hate it because Piggy suffers and dies a horrible death or because reading it in class led to other kids treating you like Piggy or what?

We didn't read it in class so the former.

But I was treated terribly by my peers and picked on and had zero self esteem and that whole thing just fucked me up bad because I was like oh fuck that's me

LOL cause southerners are so stupid just like homos are so disgusting and bad! Nice!

edit: alrightk so I'm not clever today, sue me.

what are you trying to do here

I am from MISSISSIPPI. I can talk all the shit I want about southerners being retarded. I have the blood right to do so. I have paid my dues. Also, I would never say anything about homosexuals like that.

Nothing particularly. These posts have been a lesson in; if it won't come together on its own, you can't force it.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular

I haven't read it since middle school, but I don't see why it wouldn't hold up on a re-reading.

Do you hate it because Piggy suffers and dies a horrible death or because reading it in class led to other kids treating you like Piggy or what?

But I was treated terribly by my peers and picked on and had zero self esteem and that whole thing just fucked me up bad because I was like oh fuck that's me

LOL cause southerners are so stupid just like homos are so disgusting and bad! Nice!

I am from MISSISSIPPI. I can talk all the shit I want about southerners being retarded. I have the blood right to do so. I have paid my dues. Also, I would never say anything about homosexuals like that.

Nothing particularly. These posts have been a lesson in; if it won't come together on its own, you can't force it.

Next time, instead of posting your thoughts you should just treat it as a mental exercise.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    ME1 is better plotted than ME2. There is a central mystery that is gradually revealed through a series of interlocking steps, builds to a shocking reveal, then speeds to an exciting climax. ME2, by contrast, has a simple main plot that exists largely as an excuse to provide a tour of the galaxy and a showcase of the characters you meet along the way.

Plotting is great. Plotting is a nice thing to be able to do. But too many people on the internet think it's all writing is, because plotting is an essentially mechanical action and is thus easily grasped by essentially mechanical people. There's also characterization, theme, and tone, and in all of those ME2 is at least as good as the first one and often better.

One part that's always stuck out to me regarding ME1 involved a side quest - I don't remember which one - where the renegade option was to execute a scientist because she was involved in some horrible experiments on human.

When you choose the Renegade option, Shepard says something like, "Blood for blood. You must die." It was a really atrociously, embarrassingly written line, that is out of character for Shepard. Even a hard renegade Shepard is a bit more clever than that.

I think my brain just smooths over some of those wrinkles either because it's a video game (hence I have lower standards) or because the first installment of a series always has weak parts (hence I have lower standards).

Exactly, yeah. And I tend to do that too - cut the first installment of something some slack - especially if it's trying something new. It's why I have genial feelings toward the first AssCreed even though the sequel is basically objectively better in almost every way

AC1 was a great game that I can basically never play again.

I think Brotherhood was the best in the series. Revelations was okay, but kind of meh-ish and the story basically didn't progress the overall story in any meaningful way for me.

AC1 was a proof of concept in my mind. AC2 was making an actual game out of it. Both are pretty awesome. But AC2 was more of a game than AC1 was in my mind.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I actually gave Lord of the Flies credit for truthfully depicting bullying rather than going into that bullshit about how nerds just need to stand up for themselves/bullies are all paper tigers.

Yeah, that's a good point.

It was really colored for me, though, by my high school discussion of it, which basically boiled down to, "People are inherently evil, might makes right, and violence is inevitable."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

Next time, instead of posting your thoughts you should just treat it as a mental exercise.

You son of a bitch, you're going to throw that in my face now?

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Speaking of pigs, I held a piglet yesterday. It was incredibly cute. The snout is practically a separate (and extremely cute) appendage.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    ME1 is better plotted than ME2. There is a central mystery that is gradually revealed through a series of interlocking steps, builds to a shocking reveal, then speeds to an exciting climax. ME2, by contrast, has a simple main plot that exists largely as an excuse to provide a tour of the galaxy and a showcase of the characters you meet along the way.

Plotting is great. Plotting is a nice thing to be able to do. But too many people on the internet think it's all writing is, because plotting is an essentially mechanical action and is thus easily grasped by essentially mechanical people. There's also characterization, theme, and tone, and in all of those ME2 is at least as good as the first one and often better.

One part that's always stuck out to me regarding ME1 involved a side quest - I don't remember which one - where the renegade option was to execute a scientist because she was involved in some horrible experiments on human.

When you choose the Renegade option, Shepard says something like, "Blood for blood. You must die." It was a really atrociously, embarrassingly written line, that is out of character for Shepard. Even a hard renegade Shepard is a bit more clever than that.

I think my brain just smooths over some of those wrinkles either because it's a video game (hence I have lower standards) or because the first installment of a series always has weak parts (hence I have lower standards).

Exactly, yeah. And I tend to do that too - cut the first installment of something some slack - especially if it's trying something new. It's why I have genial feelings toward the first AssCreed even though the sequel is basically objectively better in almost every way

AC1 was a great game that I can basically never play again.

I think Brotherhood was the best in the series. Revelations was okay, but kind of meh-ish and the story basically didn't progress the overall story in any meaningful way for me.

AC1 was a proof of concept in my mind. AC2 was making an actual game out of it. Both are pretty awesome. But AC2 was more of a game than AC1 was in my mind.

I dunno. AC1 was a game, it was just an excessively repetitive one.

I can see where you are coming from, though.

The one thing I liked about AC1 that none of the newer games have really captured is that the major assassinations were basically stealth puzzles. Of course, to some that may be a bad thing, but I kind of liked them. Major assassinations are less spectacular in each post-AC1 game.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    Speaking of pigs, I held a piglet yesterday. It was incredibly cute. The snout is practically a separate (and extremely cute) appendage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd5uptCfOmc

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

You son of a bitch, you're going to throw that in my face now?

Namely.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Look at my cute little city.

http://i.imgur.com/h3hRq.jpg

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Is that supposed to be the bay area

Is that Oakland on the right

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    You know what's hilarious? Watching two babies hand two bottles back and forth because the one always wants his brother's.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Friday night waiting for curling, and I've already done two of the things on my weekend to-do list.

sig.gif
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    My wife had me set the dvr to record My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding tonight because we are going to Hunger Games.

I think less of her now.

Gypsies are the only people it's OK to dislike.

:(

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

I don't mean to alarm you, but there's a giant pin with the picture of a car in your city, and it doesn't look like it's holding on to much. If it falls, it looks big enough to flatten an entire city block.

sig.gif
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Never read Lord of the Flies. Sounded like a total downer.

Not if you like BBQ pork or nice times on an island.

Choose life Sarkus and remember to be Human is to suffer*

*imagine a kitten boxing a puppy

The kids are having a vacation while their dads are at risk of nuclear immolation. I think the kids have it good.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I used to think Lord of the Flies was wholly unrealistic about how a bunch of boys dropped in a deserted island would plausibly organize amongst themselves, and then [chat] started telling me about their high schools.

aRkpc.gif
    Is that supposed to be the bay area

Is that Oakland on the right

Oh man, ahhahaha.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    ahhh it's raining.

Guess I'm not walking to the gamestop

Psn:wazukki
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Man, I love Learned Hand so much. Whenever I read his Spirit of Liberty speech I get all misty-eyed and remember why I hold my political beliefs.
    We have gathered here to affirm a faith, a faith in a common purpose, a common conviction, a common devotion.
    Some of us have chosen America as the land of our adoption; the rest have come from those who did the same. For this reason we have some right to consider ourselves a picked group, a group of those who had the courage to break from the past and brave the dangers and the loneliness of a strange land. What was the object that nerved us, or those who went before us, to this choice? We sought liberty - freedom from oppression, freedom from want, freedom to be ourselves. This then we sought; this we now believe that we are by way of winning. What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws, and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it. And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow. A society in which men recognize no check upon their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few - as we have learned to our sorrow.

What then is the spirit of liberty?
    I cannot define it; I can only tell you my own faith. The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure that it is right; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which seeks to understand the minds of those men and women; the spirit of liberty is the spirit which weighs their interest alongside its own without bias; the spirit of liberty remembers that not even a sparrow falls to earth unheeded; the spirit of liberty is the spirit of him who, near two thousand years ago, taught mankind that lesson it has never learned, but has never quite forgotten - that there may be a kingdom where the least shall be heard and considered side-by-side with the greatest. And now in that spirit, that spirit of an American which has never been, and which may never be - nay, which never will be except as the conscience and courage of Americans create it - yet in the spirit of America which lies hidden in some form in the aspirations of us all; in the spirit of that America for which our young men are at this moment fighting and dying; in that spirit of liberty and of America so prosperous, and safe, and contented, we shall have failed to grasp its meaning, and shall have been truant to its promise, except as we strive to make it a signal, a beacon, a standard to which the best hopes of mankind will ever turn; In confidence that you share that belief, I now ask you to raise you hand and repeat with me this pledge:
    I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands--One nation, Indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    Learned Hand is the bomb. I bought a book copy of the U.S. Constitution just because it had his commentary.

Are you going to law school or something, Eddy?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The lesson I took away from Lord of the Flies is that kids are little shits.

Richy wrote: »

I don't mean to alarm you, but there's a giant pin with the picture of a car in your city, and it doesn't look like it's holding on to much. If it falls, it looks big enough to flatten an entire city block.

They're hicks I don't care.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go see a couple of dudes named Eddie Izzard and Adam Savage. Are they cool?

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tomorrow I'm gonna go see a couple of dudes named Eddie Izzard and Adam Savage. Are they cool?

Eddie Izzard is a cool "dude."

u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm gonna shoot the shit with him. I'm gonna be like.

"Yo bro. Sup?"

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    $11 mixologist approved drinks in a major metropolitan area
    @syndalis

I am the 1%
    lol

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    ahh yes, the classic text me, I text you, you text back saying "what's up," I tell you "no plans, justing hanging out at my place, what are you up to"

and now I have to wait a half an hour to get a "wanna do something?" text

oh gals

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Also, lols at 30Rock

"Men get praised for taking whatever they want. But what do they call women who do the same thing?"
    "....Leslie, or Courtney..."

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    Also, lols at 30Rock

"Men get praised for taking whatever they want. But what do they call women who do the same thing?"
    "....Leslie, or Courtney..."

I want to meet a sexy fun bitch who'll give me a piñata.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Anyone up for Mass Effect 3 on PC

+25% xp weekend!

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

+25% xp weekend!
    Add me, bloody. Thanatosian.

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I've had SC4 deluxe for ages since I got it on sale from steam but have never really figured it out. I really should.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

+25% xp weekend!
    Add me, bloody. Thanatosian.

Done!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I read this as cute little clitty.

I was... confused to say the least.

I've had SC4 deluxe for ages since I got it on sale from steam but have never really figured it out. I really should.

The biggest difference is you can micromanage the funding on civic and utility buildings which is required in order to balance the budget.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

+25% xp weekend!

Oh my!

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

The biggest difference is you can micromanage the funding on civic and utility buildings which is required in order to balance the budget.

you know where I can find info on the area of effect (if that is how it works) of things? Eg: how far is a police station effective? How close do things need to be to roads? etc...

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.