As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New PS3 Owner with Questions

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Anybody ever play Folklore?

I've always had a mild interest in it, but never bit the bullet. Is it pretty decent?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I bought the PoP HD collection on nothing but pure nostalgia...

They... are not as good as I remember.

Those are also awful ports.
    What about the ports are bad - framerates, controls, bad conversion to HD?

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I have a 4yr old nephew and have bought Noby Noby boy for him. More myself really lol

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I heard there were issues with the audio being messed up. Personally, I had issues with the audio in the original XBox versions, so I can't imagine them being that much worse. I also heard someone say the game locked up on a couple of load screens. Visually, I hear everything is fine, and the games look pretty good at 720p.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I have a 4yr old nephew and have bought Noby Noby boy for him. More myself really lol

Noby Noby Boy is perfect for little kids, though the camera is difficult for them to control, but that's only a problem when playing multiplayer. My son who was 4 or 5 at the time said "This is a really good game for kids because you can't die". It was really fun seeing the goals they would set for themselves or what they discovered. We even bought him a crocheted Noby Noby Boy off of Etsy who is still one of his cherished toys. (I don't remember the price being that high though) http://www.etsy.com/listing/47395019/crocheted-noby-noby-boy-inspired-doll

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Guys, I just got me a ps3 too, add me on psn: Stormwatcher33

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

added. incidentally I'm Bigisy24 on Psn.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

I've always had a mild interest in it, but never bit the bullet. Is it pretty decent?

It's definitely pretty decent. Fun customizable action-rpg combat and stellar art direction and enemy design.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »

It's definitely pretty decent. Fun customizable action-rpg combat and stellar art direction and enemy design.

Ohhh!

Also, Damn! Now I want it, but I've spent too much on games this week already...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Ohhh!

Also, Damn! Now I want it, but I've spent too much on games this week already...

It's a little on the short side and gets kinda repetitive, having to play through an environment twice with the two characters. At the same time I did enjoy it quite a bit. It was cool getting all the moves you want for your character working till you hit an enemy that is immune to your bread and butter combos.

sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    I heard there were issues with the audio being messed up. Personally, I had issues with the audio in the original XBox versions, so I can't imagine them being that much worse. I also heard someone say the game locked up on a couple of load screens. Visually, I hear everything is fine, and the games look pretty good at 720p.

Naw, visually, the game is lacking a lot of the filters which made the original look nice.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'm sitting on the fence on whether or not to trade in my 360 for a PS3, simply because I think the exclusives on the PS3 look stellar... but there are games I really am afraid of leaving behind, most notably my MGS HD collection progress in Peace Walker, my progress in SSX, and some of my unfinished games...

I was such a hardcore Xbox fanboy until recently. My wife got me a PS3 and I fell in love with the exclusives. I sold my 360 and haven't regretted it yet. I don't know how I'll feel when Halo 4 comes out. I know it's cool to hate Halo, but some of my best memories are from playing that game with friends. I might have to get another 360 at that point. Hopefully they'll be another price drop by then.

added. incidentally I'm Bigisy24 on Psn.

Added both you guys.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Anyway, recommended exclusives that you don't have:
    Uncharted 1-2
    Infamous 1-2
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    LittleBigPlanet 2 (huge upgrade from the original if you're concerned over the differences and all the levels/DLC/costumes/unlocks from the first game transfer over)
    God of War 3
    Demon's Souls
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Yakuza 3-4
    Heavy Rain
    Disgaea 4
    Tales of Graces F

There's a new Tales game for PS3? Well, I know what I'm going out and buying on Thursday after my last final. That should make for a good spring break.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Skull - Folklore is fun, nothing special but entertaining enough. IIRC it uses the whole "shake the controller" gimmick a bit because Sony were competing with Nintendo at the time and every launch game had to use the sixaxis tilt one way or another.

Also the people asking about the PoP ports, they're not terrible, they're just lazy. Frame rate drops, FMV hasn't been remastered in to HD (or widescreen, it's stretched 4:3). 3D is pretty rubbish if you have a 3Dtv, again the fmv isn't remastered. Even the menus are just upscaled and look rubbish.

The games are still perfectly playable though. I bought it but was pretty let down by the improvements so haven't played through all the games again. I believe that the game breaking glitch in Sands of Time is still there too.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Bought flower, flow and Noby Noby boy. Thats the nephew sorted. Now for myself.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular

You'll enjoy Flower, too. Playing it just makes me happy.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Yeah I'll admit the demo blew me away. Motion controls done perfectly. Plus the price was great.

• Options
    How is Noby Noby Boy? I'm really curious given who made it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

My impressions of the PS3 right now is that I enjoy playing it much more than the 360 but I really can't explain why - maybe it's just having something new and shiny, but after being loyal to the PS1/PS2 it might just be seeing the familiar exclusives.

So far I've played a ton of Motorstorm - I'm not a huge racing fan but I love the variety of vehicles and the multiple paths. It feels sort of like a dirt version of Sled Storm with all the different trails. I see buying the sequels in my near future.

I played a bit of Katamari and SSFIVArcade which are great and exactly what I figured they would be. We all played a free Hamster Ball game which has been fun. My kid played Plants vs Zombies which is always fun and started some Little Big Planet. I started Afrika last night and I think that will be a nice distraction.

But my favorite game so far surprisingly has been DC Universe. I don't currently have a gaming pc so I sort of missed playing WoW and the like. I'm a character building addict - stuff like the Sims, create a fighter/wrestler etc always appeal to me so creating a superhero was really, really fun. The fact that so much of its content is free is great too.

• Options
    How is Noby Noby Boy? I'm really curious given who made it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Dapper gent, Kaseius, from the Deals Thread has a link to his Let's Plays in his sig (I think). He has a mini LP of Noby Noby Boy that will probably sell you on the game.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Liar! I saw you playing it. :P

• Options
    If you like Motorstorm 1 then PLEASE, PLEASE buy Pacific Rift and Apocalypse. Pacific Rift is a great game and looks a little better than Apocalypse. Apocalype is just flat out crazy. The best arcade racer I've played (previous favourite being Burnout 3).

I did love Motorstorm 1 though, even if it was a little brown.

• Options
    Apocalypse should be waiting for me in the mailbox when I get home from work today. :3

• Options
    Looking forward to seeing what you think.

The story mode is fantastic. Ridiculously cheesey and makes absolutely NO sense but it's still really fun. Give it a few races before shit really starts to kick off (they ease you in fairly gently). One of my favourite races starts with you being lowered on a platform, attached to a helicopter, on to a collapsing sky scraper.

Be sure to check out the screenshot mode too, you can use depth of field and all sorts of snazzy tricks, they look stunning. You take screenshots when paused, then you can export them to the PS3 Cross media bar thingy later, within "My Motorstorm" (it doesn't explain it very well).

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I have Motostorm Apocalypse but it's still in the plastic, it came with the 3D Display I bought a few weeks ago. I should get on that.

• Options
    Noby Noby boy is weird. Our boy is too long for the map now.

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    I have Motostorm Apocalypse but it's still in the plastic, it came with the 3D Display I bought a few weeks ago. I should get on that.

It looks spectacular in 3D. Leave depth at 100% and give your eyes a good 5 to 10 minutes to get used to it. I had some friends around and they were blown away by it. Oh and check out the photo mode, I mentioned it above but it looks even better in 3D. Being able to rotate the camera around shows off the 3D to a ridiculous extent.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I seem to remember a "3D gaming" thread with your take on some games Grinch, is that around or was it lost when the new forum software went up? I'm constantly surprised by how many games are in 3D

• Options
    It takes forever to install game. Downloaded trine 2 and its taken just under 10 minutes to install the damn thing.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    I would advise skipping Oblivion. It's the same gameplay as Skryim, but worse. Skyrim has way better writing. Since you'll get tired of playing after 100+ hours, you might as well put those hours into the better game. If you start with Oblivion GOTY, loading Skyrim up right afterward might be kind of wearisome.

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    I seem to remember a "3D gaming" thread with your take on some games Grinch, is that around or was it lost when the new forum software went up? I'm constantly surprised by how many games are in 3D

It's about somewhere but it's a bugger to search for on here. I'll see if I can revive it a little later!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Justice wrote: »
    I would advise skipping Oblivion. It's the same gameplay as Skryim, but worse. Skyrim has way better writing. Since you'll get tired of playing after 100+ hours, you might as well put those hours into the better game. If you start with Oblivion GOTY, loading Skyrim up right afterward might be kind of wearisome.

Too late...I hit Gamestop a few days ago with a b2g1 coupon and did Afrika, Oblivion 5th anniversary (which I see is GOTY with a metal box), and LA Noire because we wanted to see the rest of the story. I don't play a ton of RPGs so I'm sure I'll be content with it and won't have a chance to pick up Skyrim for awhile. I think most of my next buys will be HD remasters anyways - that and I want Flower and Wipeout HD.

Holy crap - why is Hot Shots Golf still so pricey??

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oblivion is still a good game. I probably put just as many hours into that a few years ago as I did with Skyrim recently.

But like Justice said, you probably just won't want to play them back to back.

I've been looking at a lot of the HD remakes as well. Jak and Daxter, Rathcet and Clank (out soon), PoP, Spinter Cell, etc. I think it's exciting because I loved these games. Although the SC HD remakes don't include the original multiplayer which is just lazy on their part, so I'm waiting to pick that up cheap. The SC multiplayer was so good. It's sad that the franchise just abandoned it, and even when they had the chance to give it to us again they still blew it.

anoffday on
  • Options
    So, Motorstorm Apocalypse is pretty crazy...

I found myself making the D: face alot as I tried to avoid things like skyscrapers falling on me. Oh my goodness, the first ATV race, I didn't take a turn so well, and hit a wall and my dude went flying. After a couple hundred feet, he hit the ground and tumbled for a bit. Just as it looked like he would stop WHAM dude in a car plows into him and he flies off again... poor fella.

• Options
    I'm really into the remakes because I never played a lot of the originals. Off hand, I never finished Shadow of the Colossus and would like to replay Ico. I played R&C 1 but not 2 or 3. Sly I played 1 and 2 but not 3. Jak & Daxter I never finished 3. I've never played a Splinter Cell game except a demo of the 360 game, and I never played the 3rd PoP. I only played about 10 minutes of God of War 1. So needless to say, plenty of good gaming there waiting for me once I have some extra cash.

On Oblivion. There's very little chance given how much time I have for gaming that I'll actually finish the story and move onto Skyrim. It's more likely that I'll play it off and on for a month or two between other games and then see Skyrim for $20 once the price drops and grab it and switch games.

As a side note, for anyone who read my original 360 got banned thread...how's this for an extra kick in the nuts? After promising me they wouldn't, I got the renewal notice on my gold membership. I'll be calling as soon as they open to make sure that doesn't go through.

For the record this is Microsoft's procedure on console bans:
    Ban a console
    Don't email anyone telling them it was banned or at risk of banning
    When they call, tell them you can't help them and that they have to register and post on a forum
    During that call promise you won't autorenew their gold membership
    Have them post on the forum but never respond to them despite them following up a day later
    After they get rid of everything to do with your company email them that you're renewing the membership

As a customer service rep myself, I know it's not their fault at the 800 number so I'm still going to be very nice at 9am when they open and I call them, however I am so irritated again by the whole thing.

• Options
    Shadow of the Colossus is amazing in HD. I bouht the double pack with Ico. I also bought PS+ for a year because free games, why not? And picked up Trine 2 and Sly for free. Starhawk I downloaded but the install was taking so long I gave up after 5 minutes.

• Options
    Oh - I had two last questions.

Is there a way to dump a gig or two of music on the PS3 and listen to that while playing a game? Do I have to rip off CD's or can I copy from a usb HD/stick?

Anyone have golf game experiences with the system? Any of the old Tiger Woods games decent? I don't care about online/motion control - just a nice relaxing game of golf without paying the $$ for Hot Shots.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I've done it with videos, so I'm fairly certain you should be able to copy music. Put them on a FAT32 formatted USB drive and then browse to it under Music. Find your music, hit Triangle for options, and look for a copy option. I think you can copy multiple at a time, so try it at the root folder first.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    I've only ever played Tiger Woods/Pangya golf on the Wii, and I think half the fun came from the motion controls. However, if any of the PS3 Tiger Woods games are like the Wii ones in terms of quality/content, than I'd say you probably can't go wrong with picking up one of em.

I think the one I played was the 2010 iteration.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    How often does the PS+ stuff update? I bought it but tbh it was kind of on a whim.

Also, @Lindsey Lohan if you haven't bought the pack already, get Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. SotC atleast looks absolutely amazing, I spend more time playing that than any of the other games I have.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    If you like Motorstorm 1 then PLEASE, PLEASE buy Pacific Rift and Apocalypse. Pacific Rift is a great game and looks a little better than Apocalypse. Apocalype is just flat out crazy. The best arcade racer I've played (previous favourite being Burnout 3).

I did love Motorstorm 1 though, even if it was a little brown.

on the motorstorm front i cant recommend Motorstorm RC enough. its a different experience than the full blown games, but i had a hell of a lot of fun with it.