As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New PS3 Owner with Questions

124»

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    Is there a way to dump a gig or two of music on the PS3 and listen to that while playing a game? Do I have to rip off CD's or can I copy from a usb HD/stick?

Yes you can dump music from USB. (By default it looks for music in the MUSIC folder, but you can tell it to show all if you put it in a different directory.) Hit triangle and tell it to copy multiple. The thing is, unlike the xbox, not all games support playing custom music. For example Killzone 2 did, but Killzone 3 did not. (I played a lot less Killzone3 multiplayer due to lack of music) I think it depends on how the game mixes its sound.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    How often does the PS+ stuff update? I bought it but tbh it was kind of on a whim.

Also, @Lindsey Lohan if you haven't bought the pack already, get Shadow of the Colossus and Ico. SotC atleast looks absolutely amazing, I spend more time playing that than any of the other games I have.

Most of the PS+ stuff updates once a month but they do tend to make some additions each week. Sales will often have even more off for PS+ users and new games will sometimes have 20% off for a week or two.

As for HD Collections, I'd suggest pacing yourself. I've quickly found that 2-3 games in one pack can be a bit of a time sink so I haven't bought the last few that've come out. I'll probably get back into them once I get around to playing the ones I've already got (Ico out of the Team Ico Collection and the entire Splinter Cell Trilogy).

Oh and avoid the Silent Hill HD Collection like the plague. Worst ports ever.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, Motorstorm Apocalypse is pretty crazy...

I found myself making the D: face alot as I tried to avoid things like skyscrapers falling on me. Oh my goodness, the first ATV race, I didn't take a turn so well, and hit a wall and my dude went flying. After a couple hundred feet, he hit the ground and tumbled for a bit. Just as it looked like he would stop WHAM dude in a car plows into him and he flies off again... poor fella.

Glad to see someone else has at last actually played it!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    I started it up last night, it's bonkers.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    grinch did you play RC? its real good, is the thing.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    grinch did you play RC? its real good, is the thing.

I haven't yet. I tend to do one game at a time and Brutal Legend is currently that game. I'm going to move on to RC next, I saw the trailer and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    greeble wrote: »
    Is there a way to dump a gig or two of music on the PS3 and listen to that while playing a game? Do I have to rip off CD's or can I copy from a usb HD/stick?

Yes you can dump music from USB. (By default it looks for music in the MUSIC folder, but you can tell it to show all if you put it in a different directory.) Hit triangle and tell it to copy multiple. The thing is, unlike the xbox, not all games support playing custom music. For example Killzone 2 did, but Killzone 3 did not. (I played a lot less Killzone3 multiplayer due to lack of music) I think it depends on how the game mixes its sound.

Thanks - I actually USB'd up my cell phone and was able to pull the music off that - really neat actually. I got rid of Dragon Age and Batman (I had already gotten through half the game on the 360 and decided I really didn't want to replay it right now - and I didn't like Dragon Age at all, I like more action based combat). Picked up Tiger Woods 2010 and the Ico/Shadow combo pack. Ico has always been my favorite PS2 game and I have to say the HD version is even better looking than I expected...absolutely amazing.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I think you can copy music off of your media server too, if you have that set up.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I tried the Modnation 1 hour trial on PSN a few days ago and absolutely loved it. Was glad to find it dirt cheap in town today. Picked it up and also received Red Dead redemption through the post this morning. Not Gonna get a chance to play it for a while sadly.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    So I tried the inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 demos last night...how have I not played these games before?!

Also, is there any particular story reason to start with the first inFAMOUS, or can I just read a wiki somewhere to get the cliff notes and buy inFAMOUS 2?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I'm sure you could just read up on Infamous and be ok for Infamous 2, but the impact of what happens at certain points of both games might be lost on you a bit.
    Also, Infamous is a really fun game in it's own right, don't pass over it too easily.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So I tried the inFAMOUS and inFAMOUS 2 demos last night...how have I not played these games before?!

Also, is there any particular story reason to start with the first inFAMOUS, or can I just read a wiki somewhere to get the cliff notes and buy inFAMOUS 2?

I say get inFamous 1 first! It's super fun, most importantly in a game like this, they hand out the new powers very quickly. If you're playing the main storyline, you'll be unlocking fancy new stuff every 30-60 mins. It feels like a constant stream of new stuff to play with.

One criticism of inFamous 1 though? The evil side of the story feels forced at times, like really irrational choices to make. That could be me projecting though. :P

Also, despite technically being free roam, straying into hostile sections of the city before you're prepared is an instant death situation.

That aside, I loved inFamous 1, just getting stuck into 2 right now. :3

Oh brilliant