As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This thread is so bubbly and cloy and happy, just like [Star Trek]

RichyRichy Registered User regular
edited April 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hdiuRMK3UQ

Our last thread reached 100 pages and got locked, so I've started this new thread. I expect it to boldly go where no thread has gone before. Except for the other Star Trek thread. It went there already.

sig.gif
Richy on

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Hey, new star trek thread. OP needs moar spaceship fights.

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    And Garak. And Q. And the Sisko.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    And Garak. And Q. And the Sisko.

Can never have too much of any of these things.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    Nog, what do your ferengi ears hear?!

steam_sig.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    I think it would be kind of interesting if they made a new Star Trek series about the eugenics war. Basically, do not call it Star Trek and just cover that whole point in history.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    More Q?

mlptng.png
    /obligatory
    Comahawk wrote: »
    I think it would be kind of interesting if they made a new Star Trek series about the eugenics war. Basically, do not call it Star Trek and just cover that whole point in history.

And then we could call it something relating to the genetic enhanciles and a name that referred to their special abilities and how it made them superior, something like, "Alphas."

Yes yes, I am a bad person.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Q on Voyager? I know what happens to other things I like when they show up on Voyager.
    Nothing good.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Boring7 wrote: »
    More Q?

mlptng.png
    /obligatory

I love that picture so much right now.

It is the best picture ever.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    >:0 That picture is RAD.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I think Worf and Data make that picture.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Q on Voyager? I know what happens to other things I like when they show up on Voyager.
    Nothing good.

Well the preview still kinda gives it away anyway. They both look disappointed.

newSig.jpg
    More Q?

mlptng.png
    /obligatory

And then we could call it something relating to the genetic enhanciles and a name that referred to their special abilities and how it made them superior, something like, "Alphas."

Is there really nothing those fucking ponies (or rather bronies) can't defile?

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    That's funny and you know it.

Quire.jpg
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    That is hilarious - and I despise MLP and all it stands for. :D I Love the look on Worf's MLP face. :D

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Pony Trek?

Why not, I say.

That Riker pony is a wonderful thing.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I think Worf and Data make that picture.
    Actually, Pony-Picard's image with the stabbed heart makes the image

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

I hate ponies.

• zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

I hate ponies.

The joke is that John de Lancie, Q's actor, is the voice actor for Discord (the goat thing). Discord is a godlike character who revels in mischief and taunts the main characters; Q is a godlike character who revels in mischief and taunts the main characters.

Here's a youtube so you can listen how strikingly similar they are.

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Really, as a big fan of TNG, and a tentative fan of MLP, that was like the ultimate crossover for me. It was amusing as fuck. I can't overstate how much I love that they got John de Lancie for that.

Aurich on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Anyone played Star Trek Online? I haven't, but there's some things going on that I find interesting - precursor races showing up again (big fan of that), extra-dimensional intruders (that too)... apparently there's a race of Klingon demons appearing in it. All of it ties back to stuff shown in the television series, and I find a lot of it fun to read about.

H9f4bVe.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    More Q?

mlptng.png
    /obligatory

Is there really nothing those fucking ponies (or rather bronies) can't defile?

JoinTheHerd.png

Nope.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Anyone played Star Trek Online? I haven't, but there's some things going on that I find interesting - precursor races showing up again (big fan of that), extra-dimensional intruders (that too)... apparently there's a race of Klingon demons appearing in it. All of it ties back to stuff shown in the television series, and I find a lot of it fun to read about.

Its F2P now if you want to try it out. I really liked the space combat and while the ground combat was definitely poor, it wasnt a game ruiner for me, regardless since I stopped playing theyve revamped the ground combat so maybe its better. I enjoyed it, but I dont know if I'll go back. Its definitely tempting now that its free.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    emp123 wrote: »

Its F2P now if you want to try it out. I really liked the space combat and while the ground combat was definitely poor, it wasnt a game ruiner for me, regardless since I stopped playing theyve revamped the ground combat so maybe its better. I enjoyed it, but I dont know if I'll go back. Its definitely tempting now that its free.
    The revamp didn't do much for the ground combat, but that's okay, since all you needed was a team full of engineers and maybe one science guy and just Turret it all up. If you haven't played since the ground combat revamp, you also missed out on the new Duty Officer system, which allows you to collect officers (like pokemon) and deploy them on away missions. It. Is. Awesome. And if they are Common rarity, they can actually die. You can send Red Shirts to die.

The progression is a lot better now. All you have to do is follow along the story missions in the order that they recommend, and you'll reach Admiral and explore all of the non-grindy content of the game. It's well worth the download for a F2P game.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular

I'd also wondered about this. I guess since it's F2P, just stop wondering and crank it out for a while?

How do they make money, by the by?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I tried STO about a month ago and found it kinda meh. The ship stuff was fun but the ground stuff was really boring and felt sort of pointless.

Lh96QHG.png
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    funny-puns-khaaaaan-noe.png

sig.gif
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    STO is okay. The missions for ALL career paths are exactly the same. This is a huge problem for me as I'm big on replayability... STO doesn't have it, honestly. It's still worth paying nothing to play it, though. Basically the missions consist of

1) Attack hostile ship, or
    Fly to area A, scan. Fly to area B, scan. Fly to Area C, Scan. Oh noes! Combat!

2) Beam down to planet. Follow linear path to bad guys and kill them or...
    Beam down to planet. Scan, return to ship or..
    Combination of the above two.

Thaaaaat's pretty much it.

I remember when they were talking about having a Star Trek MMO... before it got taken away from the first company everyone was going to be based on a single Galaxy Class starship. I would assume the various servers would be the various ships, as the crew compliment for a Galaxy class is roughly 1500 - or 2000 if you re-arrange and pack people in tighter. This would have been a much more horrible thing, I think.

They actually came out with a pre-STO book (I saw it at the half-priced book store) that lays the groundwork for the game.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    sfdebris gave ponies a favorable review...

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    STO is okay. The missions for ALL career paths are exactly the same. This is a huge problem for me as I'm big on replayability... STO doesn't have it, honestly. It's still worth paying nothing to play it, though. Basically the missions consist of

1) Attack hostile ship, or
    Fly to area A, scan. Fly to area B, scan. Fly to Area C, Scan. Oh noes! Combat!

2) Beam down to planet. Follow linear path to bad guys and kill them or...
    Beam down to planet. Scan, return to ship or..
    Combination of the above two.

Thaaaaat's pretty much it.

This actually sounds a lot like Starfleet Command. Or Starfleet Command 2 anyways, which was the only one I played. Cryptic's a lot smaller a studio than, say, Blizzard, and I think they're also working on Champions Online and Neverwinter, so I'm not surprised the game's not as impressive as it could be. Having played City of Heroes, another Cryptic MMO, my feeling was that, in terms of writing and creative design, their team was very small. That game also had some pretty serious issues with replayability and repeated missions that were near carbon copies of one another... Still, had a lot of fun in it for years, cuz blowing up generic bad guys repeatedly is sorta the point of being a superhero :P

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    A Fist Full of Datas

The Enterprise riding off into the sunset. XD

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    zerg rush wrote: »

I hate ponies.

The joke is that John de Lancie, Q's actor, is the voice actor for Discord (the goat thing). Discord is a godlike character who revels in mischief and taunts the main characters; Q is a godlike character who revels in mischief and taunts the main characters.

I can't believe they got away with using the Q "disappearing flash".

I also can't believe you just got me to sit through 3 minutes of ponies.

• Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    zerg rush wrote: »

I hate ponies.

I can't believe they got away with using the Q "disappearing flash".

I also can't believe you just got me to sit through 3 minutes of ponies.

JoinTheHerd.png

OnceyoustarttolikeMLPYouwillloveit_81d8b249168f5948164f80466516a4a1.jpg

MLP is like that guy with the 2-foot high spoiler on his El Camino, best to just let it slide. It'll go away soon enough.

• RenaissanceDanRenaissanceDan ‎(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) Wentzville, MORegistered User regular
    http://dvice.com/archives/2012/03/this-is-a-real.php

Oh God yes. Give it to me. I have no use for it. But I have a need.

http://dvice.com/archives/2012/03/this-is-a-real.php

Oh God yes. Give it to me. I have no use for it. But I have a need.

We are living in the future, and I love it!

so i finally got around to watching the Star Trek: The Next Level
    The HD is very awesome though it does make some of the costuming in earlier episodes look extra silly. There is also a bit of graininess in dark scenes which came from the cameras and can't really be gotten rid of which is noticeable. The most jarring part though is that they are still in letterbox aspect ratio which is really weird to watch on a widescreen tv. Overall though I enjoyed increased quality and can't wait for the full set of blurays.

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    oh shit
    sfdebris finally got around to doing tuvix

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    oh shit
    sfdebris finally got around to doing tuvix

And he reuploaded his Tuvix Coda as well! :D

dlinfiniti wrote: »