As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FF] The Heroes formerly known as the Fantastic Four

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman, Vol1-4
    FF Vol 1-2
    Fantastic Four: Forever and FF vol 3

And then there will probably be one more volume of each for Hickman's upcoming final 6-issues in each book.

And yeah, there's an epilogue of FF hitting the last week of the month, with AvX0 and X-Sanction 4 and some other big stuff.

Edit: One thing that sucks is that Marvel is really playing Fantastic Four 600-604 as the big plot-ending Hardcover, and sort of brushing FF off to the side in some ways. Even just collecting them separately will make this sort of a pain for trade readers. I would have almost preferred that the FF stuff had been condensed into the 'main' book, or that F4 had done flashbacks to vital moments like
    Doom and the last Reed sacrificing themselves

So that the people who end up just reading Forever straight through would at least get some of that feel.

HadjiQuest on
  • Falcon4196Falcon4196 Registered User regular
    I really wish that they would stop advertising the "death of so and so". We all know they're coming back. Don't get me wrong I love that Johnny's back. Especially because we get him and Peter screwing with each other like they were in the most recent ASM. It just we all superheroes rarely ever die forever so why do the publishers bother pretending other wise.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    At least Johnny's return was a lot more cool/badass than a Time Bullet tho!

Seriously , when they mention those Time Bullets, all I can think is ... So that's what did this?
    clock-melting-clocks.jpg

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Oh man, The set up at the end of FF16!!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Oh crap. Did Doom find what I think Doom found?

huntresssig.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »

Love?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

Love?

The Infinity Gauntlets of another dimension?

That and I don't know who the doom-copies are.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Council of Reeds lobotomised every Doom on their worlds because all across the multiverse, he's too dangerous to let live

Our Dr Doom has found them

awww that's nice!

huntresssig.jpg
    Basically that was the first "hmmmmm, maybe the Reeds are not as nice as they at first seem?" moment

our Reed was all "that's pretty monstrous" and they said "yeah, it is."

Anyway so Doom finding them and using them to build himself and extra-dimensional kingdom of DOOOOOOOM! is very cool

I like the fact that as mentally destroyed as they are

the Doom's still recognise DOOM

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I'm afraid that Hickman was planting that for down the road before he realized he'd have to leave FF, and that it won't be addressed in his final 6 issues of the books.

No one else will be able to pull things off the same way. If it does turn out just to be a dangling thread for the next writer, damn you Hickman!

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    FF #16 is easily sitting as one of the best books for 2012 I've read so far. So much cool stuff, Val with her evil attitude, the entropy moment, the new numbering for the kids (numerical warfare of the ego!), the big reveal, and the joke but actually a fact about losing all your stuff every three months because you're a hero, bravo.

TexiKen wrote: »
    FF #16 is easily sitting as one of the best books for 2012 I've read so far. So much cool stuff, Val with her evil attitude, the entropy moment, the new numbering for the kids (numerical warfare of the ego!), the big reveal, and the joke but actually a fact about losing all your stuff every three months because you're a hero, bravo.

Yeah, future Valeria is creepy. I wonder what that's all about.

huntresssig.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Man, another arc still to come from Hickman, my brain might not be able to handle it, it's just been improving the entire run. And I can barely comprehend the level of awesome it's at now. Brain could just pop from joy.

Oh well, that's brain's problem! Bring it on Hickman!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    f4 605 <3

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    They say when Hickman's last issues will be? And whether FF will continue?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    611 of f4 and 23 of FF if I recall. And nothing on the future of either title.

Well we all know Fantastic Four will continue after Hickman.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I just want an omni or two of all Hickman's run to be announced so I can quit being tempted by amazon recommending trades from his run.

edited April 2012
    An omnibus of Hickman's Fantastic Four run up to the Johnny Storm thing could work but when FF starts that will be tricky. You have Fantastic Four 600-611 and FF 1-23 which is a bit too many issues I'd guess.

wirehead26 on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    F4 is really good this week but also super bittersweet

CYpGAPn.png
    Ryan Stegman new artist for Fantastic Four with Ron Garney

I knew Stegman wouldn't stay with Scarlet Spider for long, he's got too nice a style to stay on a lower tier book. I just hope they have good fights, because that's where he excels at drawing.

Hickman and Stegman talk to CBR.

It makes me giggle a little that Stegman can't figure out whether to draw Reed thinner or stockier, when, y'know, it's Reed.

huntresssig.jpg
    I think that there is a bit of variance there. Sometimes Reed is this buff 60's science-adventurer dude and that works great and sometimes he is a skinnier nerdy dude and that works okay too, though I prefer the former.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Stegman is a great choice for that book.

FF_18_Preview1.jpg

:D

EL TORCHO DEL JOHNNY

CYpGAPn.png
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    I hope Johnny turns out to be an Ultron robot. Its just too soon for him to be back.

It would make for a really cool event if all of the characters who recently came back from the dead (Cpt America, Johnny Storm, Vision, etc.) turned out to be Ultron robots.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I hope Johnny turns out to be an Ultron robot. Its just too soon for him to be back.

It would make for a really cool event if all of the characters who recently came back from the dead (Cpt America, Johnny Storm, Vision, etc.) turned out to be Ultron robots.
    250px-Secretinvasion1.jpg

and it isn't really him being back

he never died

when the writer who wrote his "death" also planned and wrote his return, he didn't really die

CYpGAPn.png
    You mean like...Captain America?

Kind of?

the difference being that Reborn was kind of shitty and not at all like the rest of Brubaker's run while Johnny's return felt completely natural and planned

CYpGAPn.png
    I haven't caught up to Johnny's return yet (trade waiting), so I can't really make an informed opinion. I'm happy to make an uninformed opinion though.

edited May 2012
    *double post*

cshadow42 on
  • ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    Timmmeeee bulllets

Johnny's return is great

so nyah

also hilariously me and Blank argued, when Johnny died, about the necessity of his death. Blank said he had to die to make the FF work and I said that he didn't.

And look who is defending Johnny being alive now

Truly, I love the sweet taste of petty victory

I'm calling quasi-shenanigans on Hickman for his solution to the Wakanda vibranium problem in FF #607, as it seems like he knew it existed but didn't really adapt his story to really address it in a meaningful way:
    Reed thinks T'Challa invited them over there to help with plans to stabilize Wakanda's economy, as it would be akin to China all of a sudden having 10% of it's population overnight. T'Challa says no thanks, for over ten years we were actually selling off our vibranium reserves well before it became inert and invested it in other countries, like buying US debt. It's a clever move, and I actually like that part. But what doesn't gel is that the reserves, already mentioned as being scarce, were already stolen by Doom in that excellent scene in Doomwar where the Panther God lets him into the vault and he'd rather let Storm die than give up the password to the vault. And then Doom used all the vibranium to make super doombots and have his new suit of armor.

It's one of those retroactive changes to the amount of vibranium that plays with the scarcity and almost makes the whole event no big deal. In Klaws of the Panther it was mentioned Wakanda was hurting, yet now everything's fine (I still don't know why T'Challa is back now almost like nothing happened either, but that's another thing). It's almost like a smaller version of M-Day, where we're told it's really important but we never really see it because all the mutants we care to read about still have their powers, so we don't see any real decimation. It's one thing to have your own solution to the story but it really shouldn't come at the expense of a previously good story, as Doomwar wasn't really a OMD or Loeb story that needed to be fixed, it was well received by mostly everyone who gave the book a read.

I would have liked to see something like T'Challa having his own FF working on stuff and selling off patents similar to what Reed did during Waid's FF, as kind of a jab at the Marvel Knights book, and it would also be a nice similarity between Reed and T'Challa, where Doom screws up their lives temporarily but their intelligence digs them out of a hole.

FF is quietly the best book Marvel is putting out right now, I think. Daredevil hasn't really recovered from the Omega Drive, and everything else is kind of stuck in AvX tie-ins, but it just chugs along with E-Listers like it ain't no thang.

The kids are in Wakanda, poking booby trapped bodies with sticks, and they get a new FF member at the end of it. It's just an enjoyable book (that will probably be cancelled in October).

FF #23, that's a great end to Hickman's run. At first it feels like it's going to be just wacky Manhattan Projects-like scenes but more in tune with Oh The Places You'll Go, but Hickman then digs into the talky talk about Future Franklin and setting everything up for Fraction's run.

Really, really great stuff, Dragotta's an awesome artist, and the book has a genuine warmth to it. I know Hawkeye just had an awesome issue last week, but I think this might be even better. The Franklin/Reed/Sue moment, just perfect.

Something felt off about Fantastic Four #1. It's definitely not Hawkeye Fraction, but it's also not his Uncanny X-Men run. And while it's trying to mention bits of Hickman's run, it also seems to just write people out of the group (Alex and Onome aren't around). Franklin reads like he has reverted in age significantly after he learned to basically grow up thanks to future self, and maybe that's the biggest problem of the book because it's so prominent and it tries to make it seem like the four are gone for long periods of time and making the FF latch key kids.

It does have nice family moments but at the same time Ben comes across as just a jerk, as opposed to be scruffy but lovable. As for the main thrust of the story:
    Reed finds out his molecules are decaying, which means the others will be experiencing it too, and nothing in the known universe will help it. So Reed wants to take the old Light Brigade ship and take it with the FF to explore new universes and be adventure, not action. And it's also a time machine too, which is just argh because I hate Marvel time travel. But something bad is going to happen a year from now that Franklin had a dream of and is scared.

It's a decent enough setup, it just feels like it's been done before? Maybe not in Fantastic Four but as just a general idea.

I was looking forward to this book a lot, it just didn't meet those expectations. Compared to Hickman or Waid's first issues, even Lobdell and Pacheco's, it's at the bottom. Here's hoping FF #1 is better.