As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I personally hope they drop this episode silliness and bundle the full game into one disc.
    Consider this: if they hadn't done the episode silliness, then all you'd have is a longer Sonic 4 Episode 1.

I'd say this is a better system, as it allows them to respond to community criticisms.

YL9WnCY.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    New gameplay footage from an interview with Ken Balough :

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-2012-features-interview/728042

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    New gameplay footage from an interview with Ken Balough :

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-2012-features-interview/728042

Ehhhh... dunno if I like those minicutscenes for Tails starting to fly Sonic around. Just having Tails pick up Sonic and go seems like the far better option.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    TSR: Is there a chance we might see Skies of Arcadia hit PSN/XBLA in the future?

Or maybe a Dreamcast Collection vol. 2.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=tsm_1_tw_s_vg_m11gd6?ie=UTF8&docId=1000716161

Sonic Generations on sale for $7.49. Sonic 4 Episode 1 is $5. Both activate on Steam.

Dreamcast and Genesis collections also $7.49. Not sure about Steam, I think the Dreamcast collection activates on Steam but the Genesis one doesn't.

• ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    Is Episode 4 gonna be out on Steam? I know Episode 1 is now but that was a really delayed release and the GT page doesn't mention the PC as one of the platforms.

PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    so I was loving this game until recently. wasn't really feeling the second boss, then the level after that was just ok.
    then I played the 2 levels after that with old sonic and holy fuck tedious shit ahoy.

gonna have to play more chemical plant/city escape when I relaunch it to cleanse my palette

UPDATE: those levels aren't as bad with modern sonic. but then, the challenges for this set of levels are a pain to even get to.

SaraLuna on
    Episode 1 for Sonic 4 is on Steam, so I think it's a safe bet that we'll see Episode 2 there.

Also, changed thread title because this is pretty much a general Sonic Thread now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    @pablo_price yeah generations had a tendency to make me really feel the lack of homing attack and instant dashing and such during the classic stages

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I just want them to put sonic adventure 2 on steam is that so much to ask

• AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    I just want them to put sonic adventure 2 on steam is that so much to ask

But there's no PC port of the Gamecube port to lazily port to the 360, then port back to the PC. :P

I guess that's unfair to say since they're doing good ports that are actually HD now, but I really wish they could go back and release a new and improved port of SA1. If they're worried about angering people who already bought the bad port, maybe they could have a deal where SA1HD is 50% off if you own SA1BlurryAndPillarBoxed.

But the good news is that the JSR port probably opens up the possibility of SA2 getting the HD treatment.

soempty.jpg
    Except JSR is a global treasure, whereas SA1&2 are forays into the beating heart of mediocrity.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Except JSR is a global treasure, whereas SA1&2 are forays into the beating heart of mediocrity.

You lie, SA2 is god damned awesome.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Sonic and Shadow's levels were great, and there sure was some other stuff too.

Oh brilliant
  • Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Sonic and Shadow's levels were great, and there sure was some other stuff too.

Chao world was digital crack.

Lemme level with ya.

I loved Chao world.

But more so on the Gamecube than the DC. Man, when I discovered I could get a Tails Chao from Phantasty Star? Via Sonic Advance on my GBA? That blew my god damn mind.

I bought Phantasy Star Online for a Chao.

Also some cable I never used again. Except maybe some weird Tingle thing in Wind Waker?

Oh brilliant
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I have all the pieces necessary to get the Tails Chao, but im so damn lazy.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

I gotta agree... SA2 was 1/3rd of a damn fine Sonic game. Too bad you had to slog through all the other crap.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    Even the Sonic and Shadow stages don't really hold up that well after Unleashed, Colors and Generations showed us what you can really do with Sonic in 3D. I find myself really missing the boost, side step, etc.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Timestones wrote: »
    Even the Sonic and Shadow stages don't really hold up that well after Unleashed, Colors and Generations showed us what you can really do with Sonic in 3D. I find myself really missing the boost, side step, etc.

I much prefer the controls of SA2 to Generations. The level design and camera - not so much.

Heleor wrote: »

I much prefer the controls of SA2 to Generations. The level design and camera - not so much.

You have to be looking at this with nostalgia-filled rose-tinted glasses if you think SA2 controls better than Generations. Go back and play it - it's twitchy as all hell.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I love SA2 but there's no way I can say its Speed stages compare to modern Sonic

furthermore, Knuckles rules

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    For as much hate as Knuckles's levels get in SA2, everyone forgets the greatest travesty that those levels gave us: the Pumpkin Hill theme. It's been years since I've played the game and that awful song still haunts me. Normally a song has to be at least decent to get stuck in your head, but this? Oh hell no.

Had to back em up wit da fist metal cracker

Oh brilliant
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Pumpkin Hill is awesome.

The controls in SA2 are fine, they're a little unpolished but the reason people like them isn't because they're "better" than modern Sonic, but it's a completely different style of play. SA and SA2 feel like platformers and you have a lot of control over Sonic's movement while Unleashed and Generations feel sort of like racing games. I like both, but they feel really different.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I really wish Knuckles could have gotten real action stages in a 3D Game instead of getting the treasure hunter ones. Give him a Sonic-esque level with the ability to glide/climb/break walls and let him go. No need for a silly Hot & Cold game or anything.

Heck, when was the last time he was even playable at all? (Not counting racing and party games)

• LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    IIRC, last time Knuckles was playable was '06. It's pretty obvious why they've avoided playing as anyone but Sonic since then, even though they could stand to branch out again if they're careful.

Sonic/Shadow levels were good so long as you didn't DARE go against the will of the camera. WHO IS FOOLISH ENOUGH TO GO AGAINST THINE CINEMATIC ANGLES? Tails and Robotnik stages were okay. They weren't bad or anything, but hardly remarkable. Knuckles and Rouge stages were refined awful, and had no redeeming aspects. Then, in a moment of brilliance, they made one TIME. As if they wanted to beat your cries of "How could this get worse?" Tie it all up with a laughably bad story, and you got Mediocrity: The Video Game.

Chao stuff was pretty awesome though. I cannot lie, and the GBA port made that even better. The only downside is that it requires playing SA2.

They should give us a standalone Chao game one day...

YL9WnCY.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Heleor wrote: »

You have to be looking at this with nostalgia-filled rose-tinted glasses if you think SA2 controls better than Generations. Go back and play it - it's twitchy as all hell.

I just beat the game again in December. Definitely stands up in my eyes! :)

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    A Chao Garden game for phones/tablets and the 3DS eShop would be pretty amazing. I played the crap out of the little VMU Chao adventure game.

uyvfOQy.png
    So, as many of you already know, the alpha for Sonic 2 HD released a few days ago. As a longtime member of the Sonic hacking scene, and once a member of the development staff at the project's onset, you may wonder why I haven't spoken about its release. Anyone who pays attention to anything I say on these boards undoubtedly knows I'm enamored with both Sonic the Hedgehog and the philosophical free and open nature of the sonic hacking community as a whole, so why wouldn't I be trumpeting its release?

This isn't an instance of sour grapes - I left the project extremely early on due to a realization that I wouldn't be able to make any time commitments to the project at length, but I have never wished ill on the project. And, to be sure, I have followed its development, and wished it well from an outsiders perspective.

The reason I haven't spoken about the release is because what the project is today goes against everything I personally like about said hacking community, and I am protesting the game by refusing to acknowledge it. This project was once championed as the ultimate result of collaboration and culmination - that the collective efforts of everybody freely, and openly exchanging information between one another can produce wonderful end results. Today, Sonic 2 HD adheres to none of those ideals.

I have known the current lead programmer of the project, lOst, for 14 years now. To say what he has done to the project disgusts me would be an understatement. lOst is not a newbie to the community, he is one of the longest tenured members around. Without holding punches, I'll say he has essentially stolen the project from the community. That alone isn't quite enough to make me enforce a self-imposed protest of the game. Rather, the hypocritical guall of lOst to not only close the project off from the community, but impose DRM upon a project that he did not start, that was intended to be inclusive of anyone interested in contributing, for paranoid delusions revolving around theft of code and dreams of imitating Taxman's rise to rank within Sega, has put off not only I, but practically the entire community at large. That he would, against the wishes of all other project leads, enforce an unwritten license for the game, and spend months writing security measures to ensure that no one can reverse engineer the code he wrote, especially given that his code itself is not only reverse engineered, but was done so by others and freely given to him, is appalling and selfish.

Sonic Retro, essentially the hub for all things Sonic Hacking, is essentially pulling support for the game. Long time, well-respected member Guess Who has written a guest editorial on the front page explaining in more detail the timeline surrounding the game and the insulting nature of the final product, which can be read here (and I urge everyone who has played the game to read it).

In retaliation, one of the most respected members of the hacking community, Gerbil, has broken lOst's security measures and is releasing large chunks of the game code at will.

I'll close what will be the last time I ever speak about this project, barring the removal of lOst from the project, with this delicious bit of hypocrisy taken weeks ago from a candid conversation he had with someone involved in porting Sonic Unleashed's levels to Sonic Generations:
    Oh, can you find the shaders for me? (lol, I can really learn/steal from those stuff). Even if they are compiled, they can be disassembled. That's all I really care about. And thanks again!

Sorry for all the drama. Let's continue talking about the exact color of Sonic's fur instead (it's cobalt, the same as the Sega logo).

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Didn't the bullshit DRM he did make the game show up as a virus to certain anti virus programs or am I misremembering?

• BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    Didn't the bullshit DRM he did make the game show up as a virus to certain anti virus programs or am I misremembering?
    If you read the article he linked there's a screenshot of Avira detecting it as such. See:

virus.jpg

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    Wow, so this demo build was essentially complete last year, and the massive delay was to incorporate the bullshit DRM?

How does this one programmer hijack a project like this? Surely everyone involved has a full copy of the game's code?

Oh brilliant
    DRM on free fan projects

We're through the looking glass, people.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    This is really shitty. Back when the project started I spent a good amount of time upping all the tile blocks for EHZ, as well as the loop. No credit whatsoever just because I stopped helping with the project after the fact. Seriously, fuck those guys.

No I don't.
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I was hoping to play the game this weekend too. D:

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was interested but after reading about all the bullshit surrounding the project? No thanks.